Work In Progress / The Cogwheel Chronicles: Volume 1 Mechastica

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Love that submarine and the character model.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This is coming along nicely Awesome stuff! I love some of the shader effects here and the style is looking nice. Your characters look great as well.

I would slow the main player down a tad, as he seems to slide along the floor at the moment (unless you have fixed that now), or of course, speed up the anim to match the current speed. Changing the players speed would probably be the easiest way to get the walk anim looking correct. It just needs reducing slightly imo.

Great work!
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
Recently Online
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 01:45 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 02:29
Thanks guys for the encouragement.

Masses amount of progress has been made with Cogwheel over the last few months, some of the engine changes to support the game are illustrated below by associated new lua commands:

SetSkyOptions(mode,skytime,rotateandlight)
--mode = 0/no change, 1/off, 2/sky as local time, 3/sky as skytime(input)
--skytime = decimal hours (e.g. 14.5 is 2.30pm), only used when mode = 3
--rotateandlight = 0/no rotate or light calcs, 1/rotate only, 2/light calcs only, 3/rotate and light
--so SetSkyOptions(2,0,3) sets sky dome/boxes to local time and rotates sky as local time progresses and also adjusts sun factor lighting

SetAllMeshLightsOnOff(1)
-- allows all mesh lights to be turned on or off together, saves performance, lights only used at night or indoors

ChangeTerrainAndPosition(OffsetX,OffsetY,OffsetZ,"example.fpm")
-- allows in game change of full terrain, can be positioned anywhere, created to allow terrain islands to load without new level shenanigans being needed. Huge amount of change for this one to allow shadows to work properly and player to move anywhere in open world

CreateExplosion(explosionX,explosionY,explosionZ,explosionSpriteSheet,smokeSpriteSheet,lightFlag,smokeSize,sparksCount,sparksSize,explosionSize,explosionDamage,explosionRadius,soundID,sourceEntity,spriteRows,spriteCols)
-- allows any type (row,column) sprite sheet to be used for explosions, created anywhere required - needed this for dramatic air battle scenes.

TakeInGameScreenShot("test picture.jpg")
-- creates a screen shot and stores in bespoke mydocuments folder. Used for automated capture of killer views and quest achievements.

RaiseAndLowerTerrain(0,X,Z,Radius,Height)
-- allows in game modification of terrain height (like editor controls). Also repairs terrain collision and water mask after update.

Setup.ini - terrainsizefactor = 2
-- changing this value affects the linear size of the terrain - so set to 2 and get 4 times stock size, 3, gives 9 etc. Tested up to 10 (100 times) but get terrain tearing at very high values. Still amazing how large can go with this value. Also needed shader changes to allow the terrain textures to tile properly and watermask to work, and lots of engine change to allow the editor to address and update the larger terrain. I've settled on a factor of 2 for Cogwheel. This creates nice large islands to visit (that are loaded in game).

AddAnotherExistingEntity(e of entity to clone,X,Y,Z,AngX,AngY,AngZ)
-- creates duplicate entities on the fly in game. Used to populate trees and grass on the islands loaded in and also to generate money, food, collectables etc when needed.

DeleteExistingEntity(e)
-- counter part to AddAnotherExistingEntity, so can manage memory usage.

HighlightObject(e, type)
--Allows in game highlighting of any object where the e value is known
--type --101(red),102(pink),103(green),104(blue/green),105(gold)
-- this is coercing the editor capability for game play purposes (where hover over an entity and it changes color).
-- Used to highlight items for player to examine etc

GetFPS ()
-- used to retrieve FPS in game so that settings can be dynamically modified to help smooth out game play and keep FPS up, e.g. turn off light rays if FPS drops too far etc

ChangeToRealTimeOrBaked(v) 1 = pre-bake, 2= real-time
-- allows in game switching of lighting method. Used to switch to baked lightmaps indoors and down the mine.
-- Changed the engine light-mapper to only bake entities that have strength/health of 99. This is because I don't want outdoor entities to be baked, nor do I want to set them to dynamic as slows engine down. This allows faster bake time and also keeps the lightmaps and lightmap entity sizes to the minimum. Also update custom shaders to allow illum textures to work with lightmapped assets and for specular reflections (PBR) - blends lightmap with PBR response to dynamic light (sun or placed lights).

I'll post some screen shots soon.

Edit - just so not a wall of text

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 14:32
Always a pleasure to see your updates.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 15:45
I agree, you are always a trailblazer when it comes to new features.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Its going to be a stunning game for sure
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 18:08
So @cybernessence is this list of features something you plan on merging into the core GG engine or is it something you created just for your game?
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 19:34
Thanks for the replies guys. I am hoping it will be something special (relatively speaking of course)

@BAG - absolutely will release to Lee to see if he wants to add any of it to the core (after I’ve got the game shipped)

Cheers.
PCS
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2019 18:10 Edited at: 31st Jan 2019 18:11
if i look in the setup.ini i don't see this ( terrainsizefactor = 2 )
what do i do wrong?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 31st Jan 2019 23:50
@PCS - the changes listed are in a custom version of GG at the moment, once I've got the game released I'll put them on github to see if Lee wants to add some or any of the new features to the core for everyone.

Cheers

PCS
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2019 03:57
cybernescence, thank you .
all the best for your game. still amazing work you do.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
PM
DenZelik
User Offline
Wonderful job! I am amazed at what you were able to do at GameGuru, and especially when you are amazed by the traffic. Yes, and the setting is also unusual. Good luck in your development and successfully bring the game to release! I will look forward to!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 10th Feb 2019 23:39 Edited at: 10th Feb 2019 23:41
Thanks PCS & DenZelik

Been working on the seaplane script, can now successfully fly (fuel permitting) anywhere as it can land on sea and terrain with enough space. Got a hat-tip to 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' going on, though I know its not a Grumman Goose by any means .

It's a very responsive biplane to fly, just need to finish off the AI flying enemies now.

Cheers

Attachments

Login to view attachments
osiem80
User Offline
nice, remembers me a little bit to bioshock infinite from the atmosphere, can i donwload the demo?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "can i donwload the demo?"

I wish ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2019-02-16 13:48:01
Your offset time is: 2019-02-16 13:48:01