Product Chat / GameGuru MAX Live - Broadcast #26 Answers

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2021 16:48 Edited at: 13th Jan 2021 16:49
Hi All,

For those who missed the broadcast when it went out live, here is a recording for you:

And here are the answers to the questions I did not get to in the live session:

Q> I export my multiplayer game and I make steam workshop and when I open the game the multiplayer doesn't work?
A> The best place to report GameGuru Classic bugs is in our GitHub issues board (https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues). If we can reproduce we will fix it for the Match update.

Q> I recently made a game and I have made $10 so far its open-world zombie survival?
A> Just $10 more to go and you covered the cost of GameGuru Classic Seriously, make sure your Steam game has plenty of custom content and original themes otherwise you will not be well received on Steam. There have been a lot of asset flips on Steam the last few years and YouTubers have been very quick to blame GameGuru as the cause of such evil.

Q> What kind of support for importing 3d models will Max have?
A> We are aiming to support legacy formats such as our DBO format, but for importing we are looking at FBX, GLTF, and OBJ as three common ones, and making sure these three import great, even for animated models. We are using ASSIMP (Asset Importer) technology so in theory and with enough time we can support over 40+ formats but that is some way off.

Q> Will players be able to create a graphics tier list so people can make lower and higher settings.
A> We already have that in Classic, and I think it is an essential feature of any modern game, so you can balance the content of the game with your PC's available performance.

Thanks for all your questions, and I look forward to answering more in the live broadcast next week (Wednesday 4 PM GMT).
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
"We are going to move the role of bug finder to a separate group of people."

Kudos... and then again...
Is it just my imagination or... do I have to wonder if any of TGC staff has actually taken up any
*expansive* Game Making project with GGClassic?
The same concern for MAX... Will that many bugs actually crawl out of the crevices in just
running some test-mode levels?
I've had practically no issue with test mode, but Standalone seems to have been another topic.
Not a gripe, just a thought....
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2021 20:40
yeah tbh it does seem an extremely slow overly relaxed start to the year, maybe it is how it has come across but im getting a far too blahzey feeling as was with gg.

big huge alarm bells at present. accelerator ---- more like a steering wheel with no moving parts

hopefully something starts gathering rather than moss. come on guys your on the threshold of something really good for once.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein"

Except Albert Einstein never said that.

Quote: "yeah tbh it does seem an extremely slow overly relaxed start to the year ..."

Especially considering Max was originally slated for release last year ... twice last year, actually ... It's almost like they've started all over or something.
Intel i9-109000K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 00:12
I stand corrected on the quotee. Thats not important really.
It is the actual meaning that counts aa.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 07:28
Left the live video as soon as answers to questions started.... again..... might join in about a month or 2... have a
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 09:24 Edited at: 14th Jan 2021 09:26
Quote: "Left the live video as soon as answers to questions started.... again"

Even Q&A's are good.
Its all about the interaction with the community and keeping us informed which everyone complained was never there before with GG.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 10:22
interaction is good, but I find most users ask the same question over and over. I just look at the Q&A afterwards on the forum threads.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 10:32 Edited at: 14th Jan 2021 10:33
Quote: "Q> I export my multiplayer game and I make steam workshop and when I open the game the multiplayer doesn't work?
"

Erm ... maybe it doesn't work because standalone multiplayer isn't supported in gameguru? You know, like, you can only run multiplayer from the editor and play them with people who have gameguru kind of thing?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 17:06
Quick question regarding GGMax and multiplayer . Has any work been done towards this feature , or is there any timeline we can expect to see it done by . Thanks.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quick question regarding GGMax and multiplayer . Has any work been done towards this feature , or is there any timeline we can expect to see it done by . Thanks."

Lee answered one similar question in the video above at about 25:20.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Left the live video as soon as answers to questions started.... again..... "

You made it further than I did ...
Intel i9-109000K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 19:58
I fell asleep..... its the usual slowwwww what is happening, I will come back in 6 months hope see something more
towards completion
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Well thats 3 out of 3
Perhaps then right now its just wasted time that would be better used for coding ?
Only have them once the Next Build arrives and it goes weekly previews and Friday builds.
Im game. That would work for me .
PM
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 21:31 Edited at: 14th Jan 2021 21:34
From what we've been told, some features are identical to GG Classic. For example, terrain.

If terrain isn't that different from before, it'd be nice to see that fully implemented in an upcoming alpha and made here to stay, so people can start using those core GG tools in GG Max. This way, GG Max won't have to be some unusable mess of code installed on our computer for no reason for the next year.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "From what we've been told, terrain is identical to GG Classic. "

If you go back and watch the previously released videos on MAX (the ones where they talk about terrain), you'd find that terrain in MAX is not like GG Classic at all. It's a lot more advanced and will allow for a lot more terrain to be created than in Classic. I really am struggling to see where you'd find that terrain in MAX is identical to what they are creating in MAX.

Quote: "... it'd be nice to see that fully implemented in an upcoming alpha and made here to stay, so people can start using those core GG tools in GG Max. "

Not sure why completed terrain is considered whats needed to use the core tools in MAX. There's a lot more to creating a playable level than just terrain. In any case, the core word you used is "alpha". Until MAX is finally officially released, not as an alpha or a beta, then the only thing that any of us should be using MAX for is testing and reporting bugs. Alpha and beta releases are not meant for people to start "using" the tool (as in attempting to make an actual game), but to "use" the tool to test and discover issues (things missing, things not working correctly, things that cause crashes, etc.).

Quote: "... but people's response to any news will also be understandable if the program isn't one they can use."

Not really. It's not about usability for me per se, but about progress. With the previous videos, we were able to see progress of some sort. We were able to see terrain coming along and improving from week to week or so. We were able to see improvements with the cellar demo. We saw things added to the engine and it was pretty exciting (at least for me). But the last several videos could not easily demonstrate progress. I don't need to be able to use the program to find the update videos interesting to me. But I do need to get a sense of progress being made on the software. And, yeah, I do want to see some eye candy to go along with it. We were getting that in the past year ... not so much these last two videos.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2021 21:55
One thing I'm so sure about here, GGMax beta/alpha3 is not an unusable code, at least not for me.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Well obviously all of that depends on what kind of game you're making. I wouldn't tell anyone terrain isn't a big part of the game they're making unless for some reason you knew it was the case. Some folks here aren't making what others are making - some are really interested in certain features while others are interested in others. I think we're all on the same page.

Thanks for the consistent updates Lee!
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
It's not about terrain being a big part of someone's game or not. What I was saying is that having functioning terrain is not all there is to a game. You need AI, level load and save ... a ton of things to make a game. MAX currently has none of that implemented. So, Lee and Co. getting working terrain in MAX will not allow people to use the "core tools", either. It's going to take a lot more than just getting terrain working.
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Literally what I mean is, if someone finds terrain building an essential part of their game, they find terrain building an essential part of their game. I understand there are other components. Terrain is one of them. That's what I brought up. It's nice you guys can start working on AI and textures etc out-of-engine - that's scripting. We all have work to do there, of course. But, when it comes to terrain, we have no word on GG Max accepting height maps or anything. So yeah, anyone who has a terrain-heavy project is sitting on their thumbs in a unique way here. That's also why it was brought up. No big deal.
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 11:09
I think we have all got to be patient, Lee obviously wants to get this right. That's why he won't commit to a set release date, or specifics, its very early days and from what I can gather, he really does want GG max to be a great game creator. Well that's how I see it. The basics are there and already GG Max is impressive looking and from what is planning to be added it will be a killer app.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 13:35 Edited at: 15th Jan 2021 13:36
I think what you're missing, Cobbs, is that we are ALL sitting on our thumbs (if we are waiting to use MAX), regardless of the type of project we want to create. We can't put together a decent indoor level easily, we can't do terrain, we can't really do much of anything other than some really simple stuff. Models don't always import correctly and materials are not always preserved when they do, etc. My point is that it's not just terrain ... it's the entire kit and caboodle.

As far the information given on terrain, Lee has actually revealed a lot about the Max terrain system. He's even answered questions about height maps since people have asked about this. So, you're not correct that we have "no word" on terrain. Watch the videos that have been presented thus far and read the answers to questions that Lee's answered. You'll find quite a lot of information there. In fact, I would say there's more information about terrain in MAX than the other stuff (except maybe the new UI).
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup, other stuff is missing too. Not missing that at all, actually most of us are probably focusing too much on all the current situation's flaws. I wouldn't say I'm missing that.

And regarding terrain, lots has been talked about regarding painting but not forming and height maps and such. I'm not complaining either I'm just mentioning it. I'm busy with GG C so I'm trying to let Max fade into the background. But what's clear is we'd all like to use Max.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 21:40 Edited at: 15th Jan 2021 21:41
Quote: "And regarding terrain, lots has been talked about regarding painting but not forming and height maps and such."

Sigh. Yes, there has been. As an example, here's an answer to a question about height maps for terrain:

Quote: "Q> Will gameguru max have a way to import heigthmaps?
A> There are no plans to import height maps at the moment, but it is a good idea."

This can be found here:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/222400

Many other such questions about terrain have been asked and answered both here, on the forum, and during Lee's live videos. Therefore, as I stated before, if you want to find out what the plans are for MAX's terrain system, watch the live streams that have already been recorded and read the questions and answers that have been posted here on this forum.
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't say nothing was spoken about regarding terrain mapping, I said not much. I feel we're going in circles. It's not unreasonable to want to be able to use GG Max right now in basic ways, such as setting xyz values for terrain inside it's engine. Nobody should expect backlash for bringing it up.

Great video Lee, I'm definitely enjoying the changes to Max's UI since I've been using Classic for a while and you definitely are putting a lot of TLC into something that GG sold me on - great UI and workflow.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2021 23:41
Quote: "It's not unreasonable to want to be able to use GG Max right now in basic ways"

Yes it is, GG MAX doesn't actually exist yet, the last released alpha version bears little resemblance to what Lee and co are hoping to throw our way for testing sometime early this year (maybe).
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I didn't say nothing was spoken about regarding terrain mapping ..."

I never stated that. I simply replied to what you said. You'd said that nothing was said about height maps. But it was (and I provided both the quote and the link). You also said very little was said about terrain, but actually a lot has been said. So, yes, we are going in a circle ... mainly because you don't seem to be willing to go and find what actually has been said about terrain in GG MAX.

Quote: "It's not unreasonable to want to be able to use GG Max right now in basic ways ..."

It's completely unreasonable, actually. MAX has been labeled as a beta, but it's really more of an alpha, especially considering they've sort of started over with it (based on what they've been saying since late last year). You should never expect to do even the basic things in an alpha.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2021 00:32 Edited at: 16th Jan 2021 00:40
To be honest it does do basic things.
In the current build you can ...
--------------------------------------------------
place assets
Import assets
Use GG assets
Use the properties for those assets
Set the skies, lighting, fog. Sun Rotation, Shadows etc
use the Character Creator
Use the structure editor
You have basic AI
run all the GG scripts
Basic VR
and finally run the level.

Agreed you cannot do much with the terrain but as basics go that's not a bad list.
PM
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with synchromesh's response. You get what I mean.
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2021 10:24
Argent_Arts, can you tone it down a bit? I keep coming across threads where you disagree with someone and then continue to strong-arm them into submission, refusing to accept any other opinion other than your own, even rejecting any attempts to compromise or "agree to disagree". I tend to agree with your view most of the time, but the manner in which you go about your debating is often condescending and bullish. People have different opinions, accept that. You don't need to keep rubbing your fellow forum member's faces in the dirt until they cry "mercy!". It's getting tiresome now.

AE
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2021 15:19
Quote: "Argent_Arts, can you tone it down a bit? I keep coming across threads where you disagree with someone and then continue to strong-arm them into submission, refusing to accept any other opinion other than your own, even rejecting any attempts to compromise or "agree to disagree". I tend to agree with your view most of the time, but the manner in which you go about your debating is often condescending and bullish. People have different opinions, accept that. You don't need to keep rubbing your fellow forum member's faces in the dirt until they cry "mercy!". It's getting tiresome now."

i second that

sb
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep. I can do that. I do appreciate you asking.
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2021 22:37 Edited at: 18th Jan 2021 21:05
Think we sometimes try to communicate clearly our POV on GG and we can all sometimes sound a little harder than we intend. It's tough to communicate about a pretty nebulous topic such as GG.

To Lee: The heightmap stamp idea sounds great, elegant, and like a low-stress solution to what people want. Gives us what we need without complicated luxuries like a heightmap importer and other complicated things. All you'd have to let us do is make a stamp/brush out of a heightmap file, let us stamp it on the map using your existing brush behaviour (increase size etc) and it seems like an elegant simple solution. The kind of thing that fits into GG's ethos, I feel. Reminds me of the kind of raw hands-on tools you get in software like Audacity that gives a unique fun workflow. IMO.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-18 06:29:42
Your offset time is: 2024-10-18 06:29:42