Product Chat / Vegetatio, Grass, Trees are NOT PBR READY !!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 17:28
All the actual objects comming with GG Trees, Vegetation, Bushes, Plants, Flowers etc are NOT PBR READY
I tried everything nothing looks good, and also Vegetation doesn't project shadows... in an exterior environment it looks horrible, unrealistic !
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jun 2018 17:58 Edited at: 11th Jun 2018 18:52
It appears that your expectations really aren't being met by this engine, you really should try something else to ease your frustration and it may also give you an idea of what your actually demanding. If you don't want to do that and prefer ease of use then you should lower your demands a little and show a little patience with a product still in development.
Most users, even those with excellent design skills aren't as critical of these things and can wait or ask about it in a more reasonable way. For performance reasons alone most designers would use ambient occlusion on vegetation and not dynamic shadows, the two top game engines use Speedtree and any PBR shaders for those are third party written by Speedtree developers, not out of the box. It should be noted that in 'industry' Speedtrees are known to be hogs and the cause of up to 30% loss of performance which require optimisation in house for even AAA companies, so it might be a bit much to ask of poor little GameGuru to implement and run feasibly. Not saying it can't be done but saying a little knowledge goes a long way in understanding if it isn't.

As far as I remember dynamic shadows are projected for trees in GameGuru so maybe you missed that or for some reason it isn't working anymore. If not then it's a bug report and the rest of your post is a feature request so this is the wrong board for either, remember that a request should be something politely asked for to get the best response.
First and foremost I would look into getting a keyboard that doesn't have an iffy caps lock
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 01:26 Edited at: 12th Jun 2018 12:20
Quote: "All the actual objects comming with GG Trees, Vegetation, Bushes, Plants, Flowers etc are NOT PBR READY
I tried everything nothing looks good, and also Vegetation doesn't project shadows... in an exterior environment it looks horrible, unrealistic !"

Ya know not sure what your doing but some of the Demo's, screenshots are amazing by other users and as always stated GameGuru is not AAA engine .. Everything you want right now though is in Unity and UDK as there years ahead in development

Im certainly not recommending them because say what you like they can work out very expensive in the long run. They also have a steep learning curve and their own issues you would have to deal with but you don't seem happy and GG still has some way to go yet.
if you really want AAA stuff or all those features now why wait .. Its already available But not in GG yet.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 07:05
gameguru is not pbr ready. It was the wrong route. stick with x9, which works.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 08:17
I think its okay for such an early implementation.

by mookai.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I still can't believe GG doesn't have a "make best selling game now" button... I KEEP DEMANDING IT!!
Its like GG isn't being made just for me?!
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2018 08:48
You just haven't posted enough threads complaining about it yet. Get on it!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't believe your still posting these angry rants. I don't visit as often as I did, but you were at it ages ago as I remember. Ah well. Your expectations of a $20 product are a little high really.

I'm sure the default media will be updated over time, or a good chunk at least. I imagine the DLC packs are the priority at the moment though, as they actually help generate some extra revenue, which distasteful as it may seem to some, is needed for a business to run.

Personally I think GG is just starting to get to a decent state now. I imagine by the end of the year we will have a faster, slicker and better looking engine than we ever have. I see great things to come. Sure we will not see Unreal quality, but I'll be happy with the current visuals running at a decent lick and perhaps, dare I say it, more and improved lights. DX11 can certainly deal with an order of magnitude more than DX9 and I think it is GG's biggest failing atm.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2018 19:23
Quote: "Your expectations of a $20 product are a little high really."

To be honest, it does exceed expectations, especially with the help of AmenMoses, Preben, Corno and Teabone, GG and its possibilities have been hugely improved.
We'll have to wait before these new functions and improvements are implemented and released in an official version.
Its a matter of learning how to use it in order to produce some nice results.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2018 20:27
As someboidy once said; "You aint seen nuthin yet"
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Or as somebody else said , "we not even started yet!"
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2018 22:40 Edited at: 13th Jun 2018 22:40
That's great news …
I mean if we cant have shadows on grass then that's the end really .. Just as well all pack up and go home
PM
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
Earthling45, You are soo correct. And don't forget about the little smallg guy.
Jim C
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 00:33 Edited at: 14th Jun 2018 01:12
@imothep85
Patience grasshopper ... Things are not as bad as you imply.

attachment shows trees by m2design from the forest tree pack, available in the store.

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK 10,794|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,071

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 00:50
I think for forest scenes GG is already very good, not AAA... but not too far away.
The screenshot above shows trees from BSP, you can buy his awesome tree packs at the TGC store.
I'm more than happy with GG at the moment, it's not perfect. But ok for indie-hobby projects.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 01:29
Quote: "But ok for indie-hobby projects."

Which was the whole point from the get-go.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I like Mookai's screenshot. Nice.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 02:48
Here is a screenshot from Morning Moutain Stroll using the new beta version 2018-06-13
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory

Attachments

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 05:38
Well, DARN IT ALL!

I was sure we would be able to produce something like we see at the movies by now - you know, Avatar, Star Wars - how many times will I have to ask to get that?

I want a RED button for Avatar level, and a BLUE button for Star Wars level, and a BIG GREEN button that optimizes each level so it can run at 200 FPS. Oh and in THE NEXT BUILD TOMORROW - please

Quote: "As someboidy once said; "You aint seen nuthin yet" "

Quote: "Or as somebody else said , "we not even started yet!" "

Or if it is easier I will just wait for this stuff to be released

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 11:23 Edited at: 14th Jun 2018 11:23
I've had plenty of fun with GG over the years, it has earned it's initial gold pledge cost for me Many times over.

As long as you have fun that is the main thing. It would of course nice to be able to make a million off it, but not the reason I purchased it. Hell, I spent about 4 hours on GAC on Speccy emulator yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Trying to write something semi-decent with just over 23k of memory is a refreshing change and of course a nice challenge.

No one can say GAC is gonna win any awards for tech these days or even have many people interested. I find it a blast from the past and always get sucked in when I start messing with it. No PBR here though ;p

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hell, I spent about 4 hours on GAC on Speccy emulator yesterday "

Don't get me started …
I just deleted my original reply or otherwise I was going to take this way, way off topic
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 11:50
loved the GAC program, may still have a copy somewhere for me Vic-20,, great days ,limited but challenging
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT, DBO2X
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@syncromesh. Perhaps I'll have to start a thread in a suitable board

@ Bored of the Rings. It did pretty much all you needed to make a text adventure. Some limitations could be worked around as well

I only mentioned it to show that you can have fun with even an old crusty game maker like that if you enjoy making games.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 12:12 Edited at: 14th Jun 2018 12:18
Trying to resist
Gac or Seuck ( Shoot em up construction kit ) for the C64 never had PBR
I may try again later just to be sure though ..

Dammit !!
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 12:24 Edited at: 14th Jun 2018 12:26
I think in those days, you had to imagine the surroundings you were journeying around and I always loved the Scott Adams adventure series all on a cartridge... Bring back cartridges ha Also in those days, the OS was already built - in on a silicon chip - instant OS upon switch on. No blooming Windows just loads of typing to get anything done.... ok rant over
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT, DBO2X
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 19:18 Edited at: 14th Jun 2018 19:20
Actually I feel this is all spot on topic, I got into fpsc and most of my return was in the learning curve and then the challenge of making it do things it wasn't supposed to. If someone is REALLY serious about creating a game on par with studio releases they should understand that you need the skills and knowledge to do it. I have seen one-man games created by folks who worked for studios and if an Artist or a coder they fall short on some aspects, being an all round excellent game creator as an individual is a fairly rare breed even for those who work in industry.

Of course there is no harm and it is laudable if you shoot for the highest quality but it might be best to work on and improve your skills whilst learning any engine. I don't think that getting strung out on the lack of features is going to improve your game, getting in about it and working on your knowledge should be enough to keep you busy while you wait.

If a commercial studio were to pick up GameGuru and complain about lack of features I may take it on board but let's face it they would simply fix it up themselves rather than point it out. If you lack the skills to add what you need and want then you need to be patient and wait till someone who can comes along and does it, meantime enjoy the ride and get your hands dirty learning something else.

If you are good enough to design a comparable AAA game then you probably got the skill level to use a more complex game engine and wouldn't be hanging around here. There are a few really skilled folks that continue to be here and that's because they enjoy the challenge and the community, they get a kick out of contributing to the product development. You won't ever see a comparable to AAA game created in GameGuru for obvious reasons but a few around here will create awesome games just the same.

I think it was Wolf said you will never see an Indie game comparable to studio quality and that's probably true whatever engine is used so let's rein in the expectations a little and enjoy the ride for what it is, personal endeavor and self improvement.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 16:16:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 16:16:24