Product Chat / How to animate gun and write gun spec?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 03:38
I want to know how to animate gun model and I want to know how to write gun spec..
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 10:29
You will need a 3D modeling tool with the ability to import the X files currently used for the weapon models (HUD.X), and some familiarity with the GUNSPEC.TXT file which can be gained through trial and error or talking ideas over in the forum. There is no official documentation on creating weapons and editing the gunspec file as the knowledge largely resides within the forum community, though I recall a few articles from users on the subject. I recommend small steps if you want to reanimate a weapon and modify it's attributes, but there is no easy quick fix for this level of customization.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

TechCo
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 13:23
Thank you for your answer.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 13:36 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2017 14:17
I have some documentation based on FPSC gunspec info if you need them. A lot of the parameters are the same in GameGuru.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 13:39
I am interested also in tutorials how to replace models and animations.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2017 14:34
I'll try and do some sort of video if I can find any spare time, will see.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 07:54
some documentation attached that was used for FPSC. Happy reading....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 11:16
Thank you.I'll give it a try.
A video showing the shortest way and minimum things to replace only the player weapon would have been easier to follow than long docs.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 11:38 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 11:39
This was for FPSC, but i'm sure it's not much different now..

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 16:06
Quote: "This was for FPSC, but i'm sure it's not much different now.."

Thanks.
But i meaned to replace all, the player model and the weapon, and use only custom animations lol
It seems it is not possible or too much complicated ? (Until some real changes happen or Lua Api extends to allow experienced people to make it the way they want)
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 16:15
It's entirely possible, all of the weapons in the store are custom weapons, i have no idea how because i haven't tried, but before people tell you how, you need to be more specific, at which point do you need information, how to actually model them? how to animate them? or do you have them already and just want to import them and set them up? If it's just how to import them and set them up the video shows you that, you just use your own models instead of converting an existing model.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 16:52 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 16:57
Quote: "If it's just how to import them and set them up the video shows you that, you just use your own models instead of converting an existing model."

I already got animations and custom models.
Your video only shows weapons replacement, the player model and animations are unchanged and are GG Template.
I thaught it was easy to replace player model with what we want like an alien player model with five hands with five guns with our own animations , it is possible ?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 17:08
I haven't tried it myself, and i won't know until i look at the files when i get home, but if i remember right you should be able to copy a gunspec and fpe from another gun and edit the animation ranges.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 17:22
mouaa wrote: "Thanks.
But i meaned to replace all, the player model and the weapon, and use only custom animations lol
It seems it is not possible or too much complicated ? (Until some real changes happen or Lua Api extends to allow experienced people to make it the way they want)"

good luck. I've noticed unless you get really lucky, most cool arm rigs/guns do not work in GG. It takes a lot of finesse so be prepared for the chance that you do everything "right" and gameguru presents you with a weapon that does not in any way match the appearance of the weapon/arms rig that you've been looking at in your 3d software.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 17:27
Mouaa : Send me one of the "animations and custom models" for the weapon you want to see in GameGuru so I can see the difficulties you are having and I will give you some idea of the work involved. Thanks.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 24th Jan 2017 19:43 Edited at: 24th Jan 2017 23:04
@Bugsy
Quote: "good luck. I've noticed unless you get really lucky, most cool arm rigs/guns do not work in GG. It takes a lot of finesse so be prepared for the chance that you do everything "right" and gameguru presents you with a weapon that does not in any way match the appearance of the weapon/arms rig that you've been looking at in your 3d software."

Thank you for the clarification, it will avoid me too much frustration trying things not possible.

GG is designed as ready to use and no coding for beginners so i understand you can't replace all you want.
But would this work around would work in GG :
1) it is possible to hide player model ?
2) attach a new model player in front of the camera ?
3) Do we access in Lua player states like idle, walk, run , fire , use , jump modes ?
4) Detect if player crosshair is in front of an ennemy ?
5) Do damage to an ennemy that is in front of player crosshair ?
Is this work around valid to make our own player model and manage animation in a custom way ?
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 10:00
If it's not possible, i will simply wait and see if i come back later if GG can drop actual FPS and TPS templates (keeping them optionnal only) and let users code their own gameplay.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 10:35
@Mouaa : Did you want to send me one of the "animations and custom models" for the weapon you want to see in GameGuru you referred to earlier?

Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 14:40
@Lee
My goal was to make something without using GG FPS template code or animations, all custom.
Thank you for the proposal.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 15:18
You can import any character and weapon models you want in theory. However, a lot of common workflows (especially related to autodesk software) need tweaking to work in GG or need to be set up a little different as is currently standard.
You can currently not make a game with all custom code, some even is hardcoded but absolutely certainly with all custom models and animations.

-Wolf
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 17:15
Hey guys I made a simple gun and rigged it to the ray gun rig.everything works fine until I pick up the weapon,then the hud is there but it showes up white.the textures are in place but not showing.any ideas where to look,I was on it last night for ages with no luck.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 17:32 Edited at: 25th Jan 2017 17:34
I take it you have the hud_icon.dds file in the same folder. Save as DXT3 compression.

Also in the gunspec.txt file there are these lines.

;// GUN HUD (0-colt,1-magnum,2-uzi,3-shotgun,4-rifle,5-rpg)
statuspanelcode = 100

Not really sure the significance of the 100. But I have noticed in custom weapons gunspecs they have this code in them.

This is in the cartoon ray gun in the easter pack. A little more details.

; GUN HUD (0-colt,1-magnum,2-uzi,3-shotgun,4-rifle,5-rpg,6-grenade,7-bow,8-mace,9-stone,10-sword,11-staff)
statuspanelcode = 11

Hope this helps more.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 18:03
Will look into this when I get home,thank you.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "GG is designed as ready to use and no coding for beginners so i understand you can't replace all you want.
But would this work around would work in GG :
1) it is possible to hide player model ?
2) attach a new model player in front of the camera ?
3) Do we access in Lua player states like idle, walk, run , fire , use , jump modes ?
4) Detect if player crosshair is in front of an ennemy ?
5) Do damage to an ennemy that is in front of player crosshair ? "

1) What do you want to hide? My player is always invisble as long I dont carry any weapons
2) This is called third person and you should google it, there is a tut how to make a character third person
3) No, but after the player trigger these actions with key input you could do it yourself.
4) Yes, look at smallg scripting thread, there is a script where the crosshair becomes red if it is "in front" of an enemy
5) We worked out some AI vs AI, so there should be a way

@Mouaa one private question: Are you a coder? You always want some API and stuff to do it yourself and then you ask questions, where I think, why he not tried it? With some brainstorming maybe there would be a way.
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2017 21:03 Edited at: 25th Jan 2017 21:04
I think he is referring to replacing a gun model with an animating character which was suggested long before we had third person ...
If I remember correctly it wasn't a workable option ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 00:44
Quote: "I think he is referring to replacing a gun model with an animating character which was suggested long before we had third person ...
If I remember correctly it wasn't a workable option ?"

I remember getting "under the hood" (or "bonnet" as my friends across the sea would say) of the weapons early on. Not having much (if any) experience with FPSC, I more or less got the old crossbow working in Reloaded. I was so enthused with what I had figured out, I tried just that (character in place of a gun model). I couldn't get it to work at all. I certainly am not an expert at such things, but I put a lot of time in trying!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 03:55
Quote: "If I remember correctly it wasn't a workable option ?"

People did that in FPSCreator way back in the day. (almost 10 years ago )
The main problem (among many) is the camera movment, if you look up or down, the char just awkwardly hovers there.

-Wolf
TechCo
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 04:58
thanks to everyone for trying to answer my question.
TechCo
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 05:08
@belidos I am trying to learn 3d modeling and lua scripting so one day I can make my own ultra realistic models.And I am also working on my sky textures and trying to make a great high quality sky.I am new so I don't know many thing about gg.I am still learning when I will be fully skilled then I will start creating my own game.
@Pirate_Myke ya your gunspec txt files helped me thanks for your help.
@Bored of the Rings Thanks for your opinion I will try to read your document.
@Lee I don't know how to convert 2 or more textured models in gg.There is only 1 textured files are convert able.And also some texture don't work with gg they just disappear. How to fix texture problem plz tell me.
@granada when I convert fpsc guns in to gg I always face hud problem but for pirate_mykes help I solved my problem.

And sorry for my bad English.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 07:35
@Techno-A starting point might be to copy one of the gamecore/gun folders and open up the gunspec file. Modify some values and see how it affects the behaviour of the weapon and also see what parameters are needed for a type of weapon. The documention that I uploaded contains similar commands that have been ported into GG. The way I learn is by reading documentaion (whenever available) and by experimenting by playing around with various parameters, removing and adding and seeing what they do. It's all trial and error I'm afraid.

TechCo
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 11:39 Edited at: 26th Jan 2017 11:40
ok...
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jan 2017 12:07 Edited at: 30th Jan 2017 12:12
I think the FPS template has some advantages over making everything from scratch but it needs improvments to be customizable in a simple way.

1) Make player model available as universal format like Collada or FBX
Users will be able to import it in modern software like Blender , Maya or 3DSMAX to customize it or change it.

1) Make player model separated from weapon model
The weapon will be attached to the player with the standard technique using a player armature bone for position and rotation of the weapon.

I think this is valid for TPS, as anyone would need to change the character and it's weapon as needed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-07-05 12:52:51
Your offset time is: 2024-07-05 12:52:51