Hi Lee, i just finish a GG Loader shader pack for GameGuru, i changed most of the shaders that are used in GameGuru with some custom ones. They are based on the original shaders so thats why i ask for permission to include my custom GameGuru shaders in GG Loader. Permission ?
I will release it for free to people that already have GG Loader, but will not put it public anywhere , so people using it knows its the GG Loader pack, and you should not get any mixed bug reports due to this.
Why: The main reason to change all the shaders is to be able to use the terrain LOD i use in GG Loader, so you can paint the terrain LOD directly in GameGuru. ( sure you will also be able to use the LOD and boost directly in GameGuru without GG Loader ).
How: Terrain you set to flat below water in the distant, will not be drawn. but be cut at vertex level in the frustum clipping stage, so no fragment is called. Water shader will hide this so everything looks normal. and sure if you get close to the LOD parts they still looks and works like normally, you will never se this happen.
Dark blue areas in editor are LOD terrain you draw using the normal terrain tools, and will get cut by the LOD shaders:
Thats the main reason for this , but there are also more included like:
* Your able to complete disable/enable: Deep of field and/or blur.
* Bloom have been changed to a linear sampling, going from 9 samples per run to 5 samples with same result.
* Shadows has been changed from 8 Poisson Disk samples to 5 dither samples with random world xz texel offsets , to give nearly the same result.
* Tangent and Binormal calculation moved from terrain fragment to vertex shader, for a little more terrain speed.
* Fixed errors i found, like static light mapped objects did not get any normals and dynamic shadows did not work.
* And other minor stuff here and there.
Here is a few before and after shot, FPS
is low i normally use Mac so this is running on my old laptop using highest settings, but you can do the math
You can also see the new faster shadows on the terrain, some will prefer the old but hey you decide:
Before: Notice transparent water:
After: Now hiding LOD terrain, but still when you get closer to water its transparent as normal:
The area in these screenshot has a lot of LOD terrain so don’t expect this kind of improvement everywhere, it depends on how mush can be CUT by the LOD, but you always get faster terrain no matter what. Screenshots is based on Highest setting but LOD also works on High,Medium,Lowest.
My plan is to continue making faster shaders for GameGuru ( like a tree shader, and there are tons of other types of shaders that would be useful ) and make as many visuals from GG Loader directly available in GameGuru (hlsl versions). But the above will be in the first release.
Let me know
best regards Preben Eriksen,