Third Party Tools / FPI to LUA converter

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 07:07 Edited at: 10th Jun 2016 08:40
To compliment the xx_Welder apps, I'm starting to look into developing a good FPI to LUA converter. This will of course be free to SegAutoWelder users.
With this kind of tool, there are so many factors that come into play but here is a screenshot showing a simple script taken from FPSC (left) and showing the LUA equivalent (right). Ok not very exciting so far, but as you can see already, LUA needs just a few more extra lines just to do the most simple conversion just to turn off collision.

The first thing I will be concentrating on is separating the conditions from the actions and to see if there are equivalent LUA commands for the actions. Changing all the ":state=" to "if state==" will be a key task. Also, LUA scripts don't work unless the filenames are in lower case.
So lots of things to consider and process.

If you have any thoughts on what you would like to see, please drop me a PM or post here.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2016 15:26
Awesome. I asked about this ages ago. At the time, no one knew how to make one. This would be so dang helpful.
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.58 Ghz , 6 gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 08:09 Edited at: 12th Jun 2016 08:11
currently working on this and getting the underlying code in place. no eye candy at the moment, but the out-of-the-box FPI condition/action commands are in place in the code (there are a lot of additional commands which can be put in later), just now need to do the horrible task of finding the LUA equivalent....joy...
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 08:09 Edited at: 12th Jun 2016 08:31
to add to last post, please note (and you guys probably already know this) that there are a lot of FPSC commands that do not have a LUA equivalent, and therefore will not be converted but will be commented out in the final LUA converted script. How you choose to handle this will be down to you, although I may write some LUA functions for some of the missing ones where possible. Some out-of-the-box scripts may already have an equivalent LUA script e.g. dooruse.FPI = door.LUA, default.FPI = default.LUA etc. I hope to make sure that these are automatically assigned during processing.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2016 15:49
great job.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2016 07:54
working on this, this morning... reading in the FPI file and doing some "tokenising".....which will be interesting....
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2016 06:54
Sorry all I haven't forgotten about this, my first draft code was a bit disappointing so am thinking of better ways of doing this.
Will come back to it as soon as I can.
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2016 11:49
will probably add this to the Autowelder tool at some point.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2016 01:15
Awesome.

PM
RJ is out Leave a message
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2016 02:43
When will this program be ready?
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2016 10:17
a very long way off yet
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 06:58 Edited at: 5th Oct 2016 10:08
revisiting this today (started yesterday but something came up), so thought I'd have a look at the code I've done so far (some old code for another project) and get cracking on, add a GUI of some sort and get it working, maybe also do a drag/drop version so you can just drop an FPI onto the EXE. I want to implement this into Autowelder 1.0.

[update-added a couple of pics showing draft GUI, but will most likely change as I develop further, 2nd pic shows FPI script loaded in and there will be another output window showing converted LUA text and you will be able to edit text, filter on FPI scripts alphabetically etc]

I originally used this GUI for another project which was similar in some ways and thought I'd recycle/improve it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 12:40
I can see you like to keep busy Mike .

Dave
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 13:40
ha, yes love to keep the grey cells ticking over just waiting to start new contract, so wanted to do as much as I can before I start. I won't be using GameGuru for a year, but might revisit this time next year.
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2016 15:40
This will be most valuable BOTR. I hope it works out.

PM
Meows
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 11:15
That would be a god send sire!
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2016 11:24
just saw this, I haven't forgotten about the FPI to LUA converter (many ideas floating around my head), I'll see what I can do in the new year as I will need this to compliment the Autowelder (FPSC segment/levels etc conversion to GG Autowelder tool).
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 20:58
this has me more excited than anything, especially if it will produce a working script at least like 80% of the time.
FPI was so easy, and lua i find to be over laden with syntax and downright impossible. I and I'm sure lots of others would pay a pretty penny for this.
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 08:44
only just saw this.....yes it will be exciting to get this up and working. For any functions that are in FPSC but don't have equivalent LUA in GG , these can be created in LUA where possible. Looking at the FPSC source code, a lot of it is just functions returning values etc and for videotextures, well I'm looking into this now and should work using an atlas texture and associated shader. So this will be fun and games as usual. Loads of stuff going on at the moment, but I really like the latest FPSC black ice mod......
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2017 18:36
What language are you using for this app?
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2017 17:47
wow only just seen this , I guess the language will be either threejs or c+ not sure yet. Would be good to get it to convert in batches and/or drag n drop either on an EXE or in an HTML window.....ummmm will give it a bit more of a think.

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 22:10:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 22:10:15