Product Chat / Where do you see Gameguru in 2 years from now

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just for the fun of it and speculation where do you see Gameguru in 2 years
This both includes market positioning, features, the store etc.
And what is your wishful thoughts that it will be in 2 years
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline

[sarcastic mode on]
in 2 years i'll sitting here waiting gg can have a decent npc AI, navigation npc, proper dynamic lights.. etc... the same as now...

meanwhle,

my doughter will have 2 years...
I'll be 38
I'll play Mount & blade 2 Bannerlord
and the year will be 2018...

[sarcastic mode off]

PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Its the big features thet will take all the time ... Level editor AI, Bots on all levels ..... and perhaps the water ovehaul
This is where it will feel like theres nothing going on as the weeks go by .... However after those big jobs the rest could very well be quick jobs and things will really come off the list fast .....

For those who wanted Save /Load ... Its being tested now and is really cool
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 13:51
If I had to take an educated guess I'd say that it'll be way more advanced than now but not entirely complete.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 16:57
We will probably have full control of the engine via LUA,, maybe???
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen). Wanting a new PC at some point.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 17:04
I love threads like this! Much better than the bickering threads, albeit less entertaining to watch.

Market positioning? I'm pretty sure it will be right where it is now, only with more features and power. It's not here to compete with UE, or Unity. Really, it's not. It is already better (and easier), in my opinion, than the others that it does compete with. I believe it will be the "go to" engine for the average person who has an idea for a game but neither the time nor the desire to learn all the minutiae of game development. (Much like myself, although I've been "playing" and learning for over 12 years, lol. )

I believe the store will have surpassed 15,000, possibly 20,000 assets.

I also believe it won't be complete. Most of the smaller features will be implemented, though, either by TGC themselves or the scripting "gurus" around here.

AI will be able to navigate in 3D space, however, you will still be able to sneak up behind an enemy and shoot him point blank in the head. Enemies will also somehow still be able to hit you while aiming in the opposite direction.

Assets will still not always transfer to the stand alone.

Directx 11 and PBR will have been implemented, and those who were complaining about it currently using Directx 9 will realize their assets don't magically look any better and will be clamoring for Directx 12.

My Oculus Rift and PrioVR (shipping soon!) will have a two year layer of dust on them. Here in the desert, that equals six years of dust anywhere else.

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 17:06 Edited at: 5th Apr 2016 17:07
The 2 biggest things I would like to see by then are:

- Third person view option
- Customizable HUD
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 17:34
A good gauge is to go back two years of changelogs and see what larger features got added during that time, it will give you a sense of how much we can get done in the next two years. Naturally I anticipate a little more as we're now using C++ to develop which makes things MUCH easier to code In general (and, of course, taking the voting board into account), I anticipate better overall visuals, a wide variety of automagical AI, customizable everything and about the same amount of posts wanting things to happen faster Your lead developer on GameGuru is very excited about the next 2 years!!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 17:46 Edited at: 5th Apr 2016 17:47
Speaking of looking back two years, I have to ask, how long ago did FPS Creator turn into GG?

I remember about 3 years ago dabbling in FPSC Classic but feeling underwhelmed by how basic it was. Needless to say, I was quite happy when I discovered GG about a year ago. Especially since I came extremely close to giving up on my video game making ambitions entirely following my failed attempt a learning Unity.

Because if FPS Creator Classic and GG are separated by only 4-5 years, then I can see some pretty magical things happening in the next 2!
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Your lead developer on GameGuru is very excited about the next 2 years!!"

this is the most important part, it's always a more quality product if it's made by someone who cares about the results... it'll definitely be nice to see some new features of course but personally i'll be happy with indoor AI and a multi-copy&paste tool, which im hoping will be a lot sooner than 2 years judging by current progress.
better shadows/lights would be nice too but seeing what can already be achieved with baking this might not be as necessary as i thought - although i would still love to see the flashlight cast real shadows.

hoping we all get a fun 2 years no matter what comes
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I think ... IF at least 90% of the voting board as it is now is implemented then GG should stand tall with many other engines ...
Like i said ...Its the big ones that take a few months that worry me .... Thats when users get fed up and wander off
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 19:27
I already forguet how many time I'm waiting for "associatePlayer", hopefuly do not have to wait 2 years more .

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I already forguet how many time I'm waiting for "associatePlayer", hopefuly do not have to wait 2 years more . "

Is that even on the voting board ?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 19:39
It is understood.
Then I'll go to the hardware store and buy some chains to chain the player to my boat, and get so it will not fall when the boat leaves.

3com

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
does associateplayer allow the player to move around?
if not then it's technically already possible with the new frozen commands.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 20:03
Quote: "does associateplayer allow the player to move around?"

I think no. But you even can freeze player when use it.

Quote: "if not then it's technically already possible with the new frozen commands"

Can you realize a bit, please.

3com

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I think GG should be in good shape in 2 years time, hopefully well before that I'm expecting a lot more options scripting wise, hopefully everything really needed will be in by then.

Lee will have released the infamous project chicken update where the speed became greasy fast VR will be standard and we will all be building our games using a virtual interface augmented into our work areas. There will still be people who believe the Earth is flat. Doomsday will still be in a week, maybe two. The Great Wall of Trump will still be delayed, hopefully because no-one was silly enough to vote him in.

Seriously though, I think we would all like full script control over any feature available; faster; faster still; more and improved shaders; functional AI; control over the size of a map (that actually makes a difference, also allowing a larger world as well as smaller) and lastly water that not only can have different levels, but can run down hills using a similar tool to the ramp one

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " think we would all like full script control over any feature available; faster; faster still; more and improved shaders; functional AI; control over the size of a map (that actually makes a difference, also allowing a larger world as well as smaller"

As someone who is nearly scripting illiterate, I don't completely agree.

I rely greatly on the features provided, so while it would be great to have full scripting capabilities, I would not want it to replace the features that allow someone like me to make their game.
Sativa Savant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 20:33
I would guess there will be a lot more improvements and updates and the store will keep getting better as people improve their skills and make more things (more dinosaurs, cool evil creatures etc.)
With scriptwizards like smallg and skilled, obsessive game makers like cybernescence working on projects the engine keeps improving and the end result games will improve and set higher standards i.e. when things like Cogwheel finally gets done https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/214766 people like me will be able to take advantage of others doing the hard work of scripting and such to make our own submarine games more easily and the same goes for space games benefiting from others like honkeyboy's trial and error hard work.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2016 20:38 Edited at: 5th Apr 2016 20:39
Quote: "As someone who is nearly scripting illiterate, I don't completely agree.

I rely greatly on the features provided, so while it would be great to have full scripting capabilities, I would not want it to replace the features that allow someone like me to make their game."

The features will still be there ...
It just means if they are all written in LUA you would be able to customise them further for your needs...
Like the new Save /Load Menus etc
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I would not want it to replace the features that allow someone like me to make their game."

It wouldn't. It would merely allow scripting of the features available. Having for instance, access to the player speed and jump variables would allow in scripting a way for upgrades or super powers that could develop over time. This would not interfere with the standard operation, only enhance it.

This is only a discussion of where we think GG is going to go anyway, not an actual collaboration on what to add or not

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can you realize a bit, please."

i would but i have no idea what the complicated maths formula would be to allow you to move one object around based on the offset and new angle from the target object.... a straight line sure
lua guide for GG
windows 10
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 20:26
I've wrote some piece of code, just to try smallg suggestion about the new frozen commands.

d

After testing, i've noticed it just freeze player/camera position, so you are no able to turn the camera view, and nor moving player; of course it does not move forward.

I've attached script to a platform and tried to move form point A thru point B, with not to avail.
So, I'm doing something wrong, or those commands are no intended for?

Even I've noticed there is not some sort of "UnFreezePos" command, so how can I achieve it.

Also I wonder what this commands does, and if they are already enabled.

I they are intended to get the "same" like frozen comms does, so we can guess those are intended just for chars, and the other ones, just for entities?

Or those frozen comms just declare some zone as frozen zone, like a jail. IE:
Player goto jail>player get frozen>level re-star.

3com

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 20:47 Edited at: 6th Apr 2016 20:49
yes because you would need to move the entity to then move the player.
this would be the same code in a function

then you would call the function in something like this (move to the object in the desired location and then hold 'e' to move, press R to change position)
associateplayer_test.lua

that would move the player in a straight line to keep in his original offset fine... but once you start to rotate the object then obviously the x and y positions need to update to react to the new angle and i dont know how to do that
lua guide for GG
windows 10
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 20:59
Thanks a lot smallg.
The mean goal here, is in this case, platform following waypoints, with the player attached to the platform, and non-straight line only.
As "AssociatePlayer" does in Classic, did you remember?
Player being attached to the platform, and being free for move, of course taking into acount does not get fall.
This is what I want to achieve from a while with GG, with a simple commands named "Associateplayer/unassociatePlayer".

3com

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
never used classic so i dont really know what associateplayer command does but it sounds like it almost creates an invisible box around the object so that the player moves with it if he got to the edge but can also move and rotate normally via player input... you could currently create an invisible box/walls yourself to achieve the same and simply scale it to fit, then make sure you moved the "walls" with the desired object
lua guide for GG
windows 10
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 21:53
I would love to see better visuals, faster rendering and hopefully a stronger userbase. I would love for the community to grow and for GG to really have more scripters, modelers, store vendors and overall users. We will see
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 21:55
Just as proof.
https://www.google.es/search?q=site%3A%2F%2Fforum.game-guru.com+associateplayer&oq=site%3A%2F%2Fforum.game-guru.com+associateplayer&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.1960j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One of most tries:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/209582

What's it does in Classic - please refer to the 2º video.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212433

3com

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 23:10 Edited at: 6th Apr 2016 23:11
In 2 years, I'll be wondering why my character still dies in water. Since swimming is at the bottom of the voting list :o

kidding aside...

I think we can expect much better AI, great improvements to interior design, better optimization, better visuals, more creative freedom due to opening up hard-coded elements. I do intent to use GG for my serious ambitious projects.

swimming is on the list now guys... just a reminder
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2016 23:20
simple top of the development engine list
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 13:29
Quote: "In 2 years, I'll be wondering why my character still dies in water. Since swimming is at the bottom of the voting list :o
"

lool at least its no longer biblical, as in walking on water! but yes never heard of anyone drowning in a second. sadly it seems that lee bambers chair needs fixing vote is higher up the list so is feed next doors cat. it appears we lovers of waterworld are a very unique breed. lol
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 14:12 Edited at: 8th Apr 2016 14:14
Quote: "sadly it seems that lee bambers chair needs fixing vote is higher up the list so is feed next doors cat. it appears we lovers of waterworld are a very unique breed. lol"

I would love water to be sorted ...But .... As long as I can see it...run through it .... and it looks good then its not a game stopper for me and I can work around it .....Hence my vote goes elsewhere for things like Third person for all characters

Perhaps that's the opinion of many ?
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 14:17 Edited at: 8th Apr 2016 15:08
Quote: "Perhaps that's the opinion of many ?"

that is what i was saying, my and teabones opinions are very limited and twas being whimsical not cutting.

and noted leaning left and right is above swimming. which i am sure in a strange world, leaning is more important than learning to swim. this is all tongue in cheek and to be honest laughable. just saying also sliding, although i must admit i love sliding on ice when it snows
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
game guru reloaded lol.

no i can see it moving pretty fast once the main items on the voting list are incorporated.
PM
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
@3Com

You could create an associate player command using the entity position and moving the player to that position. I think Ravey kindly did a twitch on that very subject.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 13:49
Thanks SC!

I've tried Ravey 's car map and it works ok.
I've tried the same, following all the Ravey's intructions (firs person mode), but it does not work the same, in fact the only nice was than I've reached the end of the terrain and I end in the Rolfy's sky. LOL

Notice the platform on the sky.

But won't go in depth about it, since I'm not interested about it, what I want to...

Imagine scene:

A river, player ridding a canoe/raft, there are enemies in both side of the river shooting me, with Ravey's system I can not shoot againts them, so I'm death, kaput.

I want:

a-Platform/canoe, does not matter, following a waypoints
b- Me/player ridding over the canoe (attached to the canoe)
c- The player free for look araound (nor freezed camera), and free for shooting at those enemies, while platform/canoe continue their path thru waypoints (nor just stright waipoints).
So, player has not care about drive the canoe, nor W,A,S,D (I hate them, I prefer arrows), player are totally free for take care about enemies a both side in the river (in this example).

I did all this in Classic via "AssociatePlayer/unAssociatePlayers" commands. (like in Classic video above).

Thanks again to both Ravey and SC.

3com

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 15:06
New items added for V1.13:

Added new TransportToFreezePositionOnly() LUA command to force new player XYZ (not angle)
Added new 'floating_platform.lua' to show off how to associate player with moving entity
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2016 17:46
WOW!!!
Thanks you very much Lee, that's a very good news.
3com

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 03:59:32
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 03:59:32