Product Chat / Twitch Sessions - please send us your requests!

Author
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 15:16 Edited at: 4th Nov 2015 20:57
Hello GameGuru fans,

We're keen to do more Twitch sessions so you can learn more and more about GameGuru. If there's any aspect of GameGuru you need more help on then please suggest it in this thread. The dev team will review this list weekly.

The past Twitch sessions are now on Facebook in case you missed them;
Broadcast #1: An introduction to GameGuru
Broadcast #2: Lighting, connecting levels and an intro to LUA scripting
Broadcast #3: Editing & placing entities and the test game settings
Broadcast #4: The character creator
Broadcast #5: Multiplayer death matches and team deathmatch games
Broadcast #6: Lua scripting and Multiplayer co-op games
Broadcast #7: Getting your own 3D Models Into GameGuru
Broadcast #8: How to customize the menu screens of a standalone executable game
Broadcast #9: Learn about FPE Files
Broadcast #10: Intro to Lua Scripting basics and performance update
Broadcast #11: AI Scripting walk through
Broadcast #12: Cut / intro scenes
Broadcast #13: Third Person Controls and Scaling
Broadcast #14: Make your own teleport with LUA Scripting
Broadcast #15: Making a character Quest
Broadcast #16: Scripting a door to open
Broadcast #17: Spawning and HUD Graphics
Broadcast #18: How To Make A Cave Game
Broadcast #19: Lifts and Conveyor Belts
Broadcast #20: An Introduction to HUD Graphics

To avoid updating the list in future you can view ALL the Twitch videos here.

So please post below and tell us what you'd like to know and see.
Development Director

TGC Team
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 15:21
Maybe how to use the model importer and what we need to do to ensure they are imported correctly and what to do if they dont
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; LG TFT monitor (widescreen).
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 15:49
are you are going to add lots of default scripts? thousands of models have been supplied but the default basic scripts are very limited and holding many back
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 16:05
@Bored of the Rings : Thanks for the suggestion. A broadcast that goes from say Blender through to a finished entity via the Import Model feature would be a good one to do!

@science boy : Are you suggesting we write lots of new scripts during the Twitch broadcast?

PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 16:08
Quote: "@science boy : Are you suggesting we write lots of new scripts during the Twitch broadcast?"

lol no i thought you wanted suggestions . until more game functionality i think it will be slim pickings, but i am known to be wrong A LOT!
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 16:12
Quote: "Maybe how to use the model importer and what we need to do to ensure they are imported correctly and what to do if they dont"

That would be good,also information on normal map settings please .

Dave
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 18:10 Edited at: 13th Apr 2016 18:28
*** I AM HAVING TO EDIT ONE OF MY OLD THREADS (THIS ONE USED TO BE ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE) BECAUSE I SEEM TO HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO POST TO THIS BOARD. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMIND ME. OR IS SOMETHING BROKEN? ***

Anyway, here is my request: Please demo how you might Lua script a way to indicate how far the player is from an objective and the direction. Most FPS games seem to have this kind of feature. I'm sure it will be implemented into GG one day. Would really complement the radar.
Julian
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2015 20:52 Edited at: 20th Jul 2015 20:52
I think the import model would be a great help as there are different users using different modelling programs/exports and I think everyone would benefit from using a standard way of getting their models to import correctly especially for animated/rigged characters. Just a thought.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS, C++, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
wanderer189
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2015 15:44 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2015 15:47
I would simply like to say I think the casts are an awesome help. I check regularly for new casts and have watched them all and will be re-watching them in the future when I need some help with particular issues. I am a total newbie to game design. The more information that is posted and cast, the easier it is for new folks like myself, and personally, to me the casting, with examples, are showing a much more hands on approach, keep 'em coming guys and thanks for all the time you are putting into the entire project....
shivers
Years of Service
User Offline
hello
I would like to see a step by step how to make my own particles and decals i want to make my own sifi screens and i don't think i understand it very good. Things i have made have not worked so if i can see how you do it . I would be grateful thanks very much.
PM
FabledFoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Guru
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 17:29
What's in the pipeline for MMO creation? The infinite land is cool. What about other aspects?
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing I would suggest in general, have some thread or page that lists when broadcasts are planned in advance. I think you would get more viewers if they actually knew they were on! At the moment I just log into twitch and see if anything is happening, which often isn't of course.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2015 21:41
Thanks for the twitch videos guys.
I don't get to see them live as for the time difference, but I do download them and keep them for reference.
I have a suggestion for a future show or two...
One that gives a detailed explanation of the..

Fpe - editing and ranges for the values, and a list of all the available commands and what they do.
Gunspec - editing and ranges for the values, modifying, a how to, on the hud.x , and what is the purpose for vweap.x
Skyspec - editing and ranges for the values
etc,..

All the good stuff!

Cheers

I may be old, but at least my memory still ....hmmm

DT:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz, Windows 8.1 64-bit, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Display Memory: 4018 MB. Resolution 1360x768, Passmark 3528, AutoCAD, 3DsMax, Paint.Net, Solidworks.
seppgirty
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2015 00:07
Got to say that i love the twitch videos. Very entertaining and fun. A ton of useful info and well done. Great work on there..... KEEP THEM COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!
gamer, lover, filmmaker
AceRimmer
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: classic British heavy metal mostly
Posted: 1st Aug 2015 22:47
I'd very much like to see fpe editing and functions as well (as perelect suggested), with a slant on optimizing game FPS showing how you can help this with turning physics off or using box collision etc (think forests...)

also some more on Lua, which seems to make so much more sense when you see someone doing it.

And also like to add my thanks for the twitch videos and the youtube archive, every one has been a very worthwhile watch so far.
Thanks Guys.
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2015 00:07
Quote: "One thing I would suggest in general, have some thread or page that lists when broadcasts are planned in advance. I think you would get more viewers if they actually knew they were on! At the moment I just log into twitch and see if anything is happening, which often isn't of course. "

I always though they where on at 6pm GMT, is that not the case anymore?
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W7 Home 64-bit, Intel i5-3330 quad-core 3.20GHz, nVidia GTX660 2Gb, 8Gb ram
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2015 23:28
Quote: "I always though they where on at 6pm GMT, is that not the case anymore?"

Seems dead at the moment,the guys must be busy .

Dave
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Its not abandoned or anything . Everyone is so busy with the next update that's all ..
More will come soon
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
FabledFoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2015 18:45 Edited at: 5th Aug 2015 18:50
First off, let me thank you for making such a cool software for making games this way. TY.

Twitch Requests:

-How do I add fishing as an activity to the game?
-How do I add mini games to the game, such as a backgammon game, or darts, players can actually play?

*Blender Twitch request- I saw how you added the gun to the tank in Blender. While messing around In Blender myself, I saw an option to add a camera to a model, but I don't really know how to use Blender "yet".

*How would I make a player viewable, and player placeable camera to add to my GameGuru games?
( Note: IF player placeable isn't an option that is relatively easy to do, then a creator placeable entity with the same properties would probably work fine for the moment.)

Example of what the camera does ingame: A player selects the camera from their inventory, and places it some where in the game, like on a powerline, building, tree, or street light. The player could then remote view the camera's streaming view via an ingame object such as computer terminals, tvs, wall projectors etc.

Thank you for your time.
John
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2015 01:46
Here goes... I made a thread on it:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/212964

But I'm DYING to see how you get working gun models in GameGuru, how you import them, edit their properties, apply the HUD.x file etc. I have a load of custom guns and animations but I don't know how to use them.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay I'll say it. Making or editing weapons and such.
My Indie Compo entry suffered quite a bit by my lack of knowledge here. I have made basic weapon clones of say the Uzi and such before. However with the Staff (not a standard object you can pick up) I had issues. The game worked, but crashed on trying to save it with a path error. Nothing I tried fixed it, so I had to leave it out in the end. Everyone would gain info from a decent explanation of how to do this. You can't imagine how annoying it is to have the game work, but not save! Or perhaps you can probably something I have missed, but that is the reason to put out the info

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 13:51
Weapon importing and how to get it fully working step-by-step should have already been documented really, I have all these assets just sitting doing nothing.
PM
FabledFoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2015 22:17
I watched one of the twitch videos that mentioned turning terrain off, which video was that?
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2015 14:44
Use a trigger zone and assign goindoors.lua to shut off the terrain, and another with gooutdoors, to turn it back on.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like a tutorial on how to make custom skyboxes.
Also maybe some scripting to get vehicles to move, fly, shoot, etc. I know we won't be able to actually drive them yet, unless the jetpack can somehow be modified.
Julian
PM
Saintyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Aug 2015 19:57
Hi guys,
I would like to see you delve deeper into LUA scripts with a discussion on data tables and how to implement them for something like an inventory.
Saint
AceRimmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2015 17:28
I found the earlier introductions to Lua scripts and fpe files very helpful. So I'd like to see regular snippets of scripting, just say five minutes here and there to build on those some more.
FabledFoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2015 17:28
How do you add a camera to another entity such as a zombie, or critter?
"Don't give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you."- SS <*})))><
Soundwizard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi GG Team.

Since I don't want to swarm your "Help" messages with questions (which I kinda already have), I'd like to see

- Experimenting on importing character models, mainly from Mixamo and MakeHuman, and how to apply GameGuru's rigs to them.

- Showing how to import/add/modify body parts and costumes in the Character Creation Tool.

- LUA is always great.

Thanks for everything people, keep up the good work.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2015 14:01
After many weeks with Ravey at the helm it's time for a regime change and I will be hosting them for a while now. My broadcast starts in two hours and it looks like everything requested has now been covered so if you want to see something new just post here and I will check before my stream starts. With no suggestions my plan is to keep it casual and spend 30 minutes just making a game, perhaps from the Fantasy Pack which contains some cool assets and allows me to show off the third person control system which I do not think we have covered in any detail. Hope you can make it there; 4PM BST (London) at twitch.tv/gamegurulee
PC SPECS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel Core i7 920 (PASSMARK:5008), NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT GPU (PASSMARK:752) , 6GB RAM

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
i'd like to see how to scale stuff in the editor more clearly - especially free flight mode, mine seems to behave very unpredictably - and learn how you see it changing for easier use in the future.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, geforce gtx460, directx 11
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2015 19:13
Lee you were talking about drawcalls and directx11.
You said that 5 equal trees will have only 1 drawcall.
What happen if we resize/scale the trees? 5 drawcalls then?
just want to know for the future
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2015 19:47
@ Lee

I've my robot rigged and animate with firespot already done, but I've zero experience about work with characters and weapons in GG. I has tried to get my robot walking and shooting in GG (like a tank) with not to avail.

By other hand, I saw a video (Ravey, I though) about tank moving and shooting (this is what I want to get with my robot).
Unfortunatelly he use Blender (zero experience), and a little short.

Please can you realize a bit, (in max, if possible), all the process (from "getting firespot" to "ready for GG") ?

Thanks in advance

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2015 07:52
How does or what is the function of the isobjective=1 and how does it work? I can set my own global objective variables, but not sure how this param fits in.
thanks in advance.
Interests: Drumming, Saxophone, Art, Theatre, Music.
AceRimmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 20:38
Great info on Lua in some of the recent broadcasts, Lee. that has been very helpful, hope you can keep em coming along with the other requested features.
Would it perhaps be possible to post the code snippets here after the broadcasts?

@ Bored of the Rings I *think* the is-objective is disabled in gameguru. I think it was to point a compass or hud hint to the direction of the object which is set as the objective.

AceRimmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 21:10 Edited at: 26th Sep 2015 16:18
Lee suggested he might do a bit on HUD Graphics, I'd be very interested in that. (images popping up in the hud, as per the cartoon demo level)
AstrobloodKnight
Years of Service
User Offline
i want to see lee do infinite wave spawning or spawning off a item in waves i mean i made my own wave spawner its simple it works but you need all the zombies or AI's in the map some where which is not very resource friendly
PM
wanderer189
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2015 00:58 Edited at: 30th Sep 2015 01:27
I would love to see a broadcast that takes a free to use model of a building (one a character can enter) from a site like http://tf3dm.com/, to take a model of a "enter-able" building in 3ds or dae format, with multiple textures, and make it usable in GG, in a nooby simple way...at least as simple as possible....lol.

I have no experience with modeling, I am a web designer and programmer...modeling is a new concept for this old dog, that is willing to learn new tricks....
Soundwizard
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys!

There are a couple things I would really, really, REALLY like to see in a Twitch broadcast.

1- How to modify clothes and faces of the Character Editor (I know it is possible, yet I can't figure how yet).

Of course, this would not include the modeling itself, but pointing at the file/s to be modified, and making Gameguru acknowledge it once modified.

2- How to make Gameguru's character animations available for characters already modeled and rigged in 3rd party software.

If necessary, I can provide some MakeHuman / Mixamo characters.

It would also be great that you talk about the maximum/minimum poly count to use for Gameguru's engine when it comes to imported characters.

Thanks a bunch, and keep up the great work!

#jinglepacktothepeople (dedicated to Ravey )
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 22:52
I'd like to see how to create a cave system with torches on the walls, as well as various bits and pieces in the cave. I've tried and found it frustrating grabbing the wrong things and things I have grabbed suddenly shooting out of view. Definitely be interested in something like that.
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2015 23:16 Edited at: 7th Oct 2015 23:16
Also, is it possible to create a 'House of the Dead' on-the-rails type game where the player doesn't control the movement?

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2015 12:23 Edited at: 14th Oct 2015 12:23
hi lee and ravey.

brilliant twitch broadcasts, i watch them all, i have to catch up when im back from work so i cant ask any questions live.

keep up the great work.

few things i would love to see are, what would constitute good level design, good working practice, for example, keeping enitities tidy, workflow etc, as most people now can add entities, sound etc, but maybe get bogged down in a good way of working, it might sound pretty boring, but can make the gg experience even better.

long live gameguru.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/185#.Vd9sJflVhBd
vrg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2015 18:28
Maybe a crazy idea , but what you show in the last Twitch , I chat about to colour the environment the same colour as the rocks you are using with a colourpicker, isn,t it posssible to do the same with a color/texture picker (maybe an impossible idea).
AceRimmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 19:58
They have all been good, but No.18 was a blinder, Lee. I cant ask question live as I'm still at work at the time they are on as well. Just wanted to say keep up the good work.

wanderer189
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 15:41 Edited at: 21st Oct 2015 15:59
Love the twitch casts, I enjoy when they go to an hour or over and now look for them each week.

I am working on a game that uses sound files with trigger zones rather than text dialogue. If the player approaches the character, it plays the sound file.

My question is this: Is there a simple way, say the player approaches the character, sound file plays telling him of a quest to fetch 3 items, he gets the first item, returns to the character, and a different sound file is played telling the player to continue with the others. Or he returns with all items and a different sound file is played. I watch the quest cast, but the sound files are throwing me off with trigger zones.

Or even not on a quest, to play different sound files each time player comes across the character..

Thanks and again, love the casts, wish there were more...lol
Wanderer
Gorba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 14:30
The twitch casts are great, informative and quite entertaining.

Can you please show how to make an inanimate object that only approaches the player when he/she isn't looking, and attacks if in close proximity. Kind of like The Weeping Angels from Doctor. Is this possible, if so, can you please show how

Kind Regards
Stefan "Gorba"
Denmark
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 14:49
Really like the belt and lift scripts Ravey, where can we get them them, I could really do with them in something i'm working on

So cool.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, AMD HD7870 gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit.

http://contest.gamedevfort.com/submission/185#.Vd9sJflVhBd
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 18:13 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2015 18:21
Quote: "Can you please show how to make an inanimate object that only approaches the player when he/she isn't looking, and attacks if in close proximity. Kind of like The Weeping Angels from Doctor. Is this possible, if so, can you please show how "

i already have that script (see attachment)

edit: it doesnt use animations (as all movement is done when you're not looking so why bother? ) so it will work with non-characters and stuff too.
life\'s one big game

windows vista ultimate

i5 @3.3ghz, 4gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Gorba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 18:20
AWESOME!, thank you so much smallg
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 03:41
Quote: "Kind of like The Weeping Angels from Doctor"
Loved that, and thought that would be a great idea in a game. A million possibilities with that at least! Might have to ponder that one myself!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 16:09:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 16:09:39