DLC is coming Soon™
Assets are locked in and there are only a couple outstanding engine-side issues remaining. Release should coincide with an upcoming PP update. Please note that my weapons will need this update to work. They will not work in older versions or Dx9 versions.
There has been loads of "behind the scenes" work going on and Lee has been beyond excellent with getting weapon system issues taken care of. Particularly over the last few months. There have been dozens of issues resolved. Some of which have required new features to be added to the GG weapon system. A lot of this stuff is somewhat subtle and will likely go unnoticed by many but trust me when I say that the overall functionality and feel has been greatly improved. In most cases these are small things which bridge gaps in existing features or polish previously implemented features that have not been working quite as intended.
Some weapon system improvement highlights:
- Support for multiple textured PBR weapons... this brings back the ability to easily swap hand textures or add accessory parts with their own maps. This, of course, should be used sparingly as it increases draw calls but restores much needed flexibility.
- Improved audio system for automatic weapons. Can now use fireloop= -1 on automatic weapons to easily time gunshot sound with actual firerate. Removes guesswork and fixes most of the nasty gunshot audio truncation when firing full-auto.
- Loopsound feature adds the ability to loop audio based on weapon state (normal, empty, alt mode, alt mode empty). This is ideal for things with motor or electronic ambient noise.
- Runto/from transition anim support added. This allows for dedicated animations for transitioning with run animation and greatly helps to smooth things out when running and gunning. No more nasty anim popping.
- Run Delay system added for weapons without dedicated transition anims. Helps minimize anim spazzing when spamming run key.
- Iterate hitscans occur instantaneously instead in a string. This means that shotgun spread pattern is no longer affected by recoil or movement.
- Last fire animation support added so that we can now have distinct animations play when the last round is expended. This helps to eliminate popping/engine blending when transitioning to a weapon's empty state. No more pistol slides eerily creeping back on their own after the last shot. This also opens up the possibility for neat things like Garand pings and that sort of thing.
- Improved "random" fire animation selection. Eliminates the chance of the same animation playing twice (or more) in a row if multiple anims are specified.
- Improved projectile customization. Greater user control over dynamics and effects for projectiles.
- Improved jamming/overheat system is now less predictable and more randomized within set gunspec parameters.
- Improved brass system is more reliable and able to keep up with high volume weapons.
- Restored HUD icons for unlimited ammo (melee) weapons. Now use an infinity symbol instead of numeric 99999 display.
- Improved dryfire system to be less glitchy. Used to cause awkward animation lockup.
- Fixed engine-side animation bobble to reset when stationary. This was causing ironsights to become misaligned after moving.
- Fixed several instances where animation playback speed was out of spec.
- Fixed an issue where weapon ammo was inherited when trading held weapon with another weapon that holds less ammo.
- Numerous shader related things as a part of the PBR upgrade transition.
- Numerous smaller tweaks here and there or fixing things that were unintentionally affected throughout the process.
I hope that everyone can soak in the above list and appreciate how much effort Lee has put into pulling this all together. It should also serve to highlight how rough the existing system was. Like much of GG, there are a lot of great features which are just sort of unpolished and the weapon system is no exception. There is still a fair amount to be done to improve the fun-factor of weapon usage and greater functionality in GG but those things can come later. And it is my plan to add to my DLC as new features and improvements become available.
From my end, there have been numerous changes ranging from simple gunspec tuning tweaks, to texture revisions for PBR, to mesh improvements/tweaks, audio revisions, and animation additions/improvements. Several of those evolutions have been documented in this thread, others on the Unofficial GG Discord.
It's been a long tunnel but we're finally seeing some light. I really appreciate everyone's patience and I think it will be worth the wait.
Here's a teaser of what will be included in the DLC.
Many more will be available from the GC Store after release. Some near launch and others to follow throughout the year.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024