Product Chat / GameGuru MAX Live - Broadcast #34 Answers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just been playing around and found the new group system is still a little flakey. Group some snapped together cubes and they then will not snap well to other groups of the same cubes. Save the map and the groups vanish entirely. Pressing Enter does not snap them to the floor or highest object available. I made a similar map in GG and found it a lot easier (if slow using single cubes) to make a simple layout of blocks. I also got a new group listed in the group icons each time I dragged on to the map, so ended up with several copies of the same group in a changing thumbnail list.

I thought I'd post here first before investigating the new bug report feature to report it.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2021 20:41 Edited at: 14th Mar 2021 20:41
I've also had similar issues with the grouping, always seems to work for Lee and wonder why doesn't it work the same for us?
Anyway, will play a bit more with the grouping and other features tomorrow and the next few days where possible.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Just watched the livestream to see how it worked for Lee and seemed the same. Every time he dragged in the group it made a new one. That to me seems a mess. New groups should only add into the left hand menu if you add a new one, not just make another copy each time. Teething problems I imagine. Having the groups vanish after saving however is a bit of an issue, again probably not hard to fix, but for certain not as expected.

I've also had parts of the group have missing objects (or hidden/at a new height). Defo in need of work. I can only suggest that he tests it with several blocks, snapped together and see how that copes when trying to group and snap the groups to the rest. The height thing is pretty nasty as if you want all the blocks to be perfectly aligned makes having many layers on top of each other rather a nightmare.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
We have had a few reports on Github about Grouping issues so im guessing its all related.
Even so it would be worth reporting your findings.
Great chance to use the UI's bug reporter in the Help Menu
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The bug tracker is defo much better for keeping track of any issues. As is I tend to post and forget. At least now any bugs you have posted are listed in Max which is far better overall. Posted the group issue anyway as a test
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2021 11:57 Edited at: 15th Mar 2021 12:04
Quote: "Just watched the livestream to see how it worked for Lee and seemed the same. Every time he dragged in the group it made a new one. That to me seems a mess. New groups should only add into the left hand menu if you add a new one, not just make another copy each time."

yh i was thinking about this while watching the video and think creating a new group each time is intended because you can edit the groups individually it needs to store each group otherwise any change to the main group would effect them all - this is fine if the system is intended to be a prefab system* but it seems that's not the idea here and this is purely for quick copy and paste.
perhaps a better method would be to hide the duplicate groups until you edit them - you can still select them on the map to begin your edit so it should be ok - i guess also show the first hidden group member if the original gets edited too but keeping track of it all could get tedious, personally i'm kinda ok with the current system as groups are only good for 1 map anyway

*if it is intended to be a prefab system then it needs a lot more work as editing 1 group (with a bunch of identical groups already made from it) doesn't change them all

on a related note - if you spam the 'group objects' button it creates endless groups from the same bunch of objects... not sure this should be allowed or is intended but it kinda works - if you edit any of the groups the copies also get edited so this really is just creating mess
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2021 12:14
I need to watch that video again, the grouping doesn't seem to flow well for me.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "perhaps a better method would be to hide the duplicate groups until you edit them"

I would say so. I may want to copy chunks of objects on mass to save time, with no intention of editing them. Copies on the left should only be added with a new group or an edited group, or it will be a gigantic list of the same objects to scroll through. It doesn't help that each time they have a new thumbnail, as then they look very different, while being identical.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2021 20:21
Quote: "I need to watch that video again, the grouping doesn't seem to flow well for me."

For me nothing flows well in MAX!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2021 21:06
Quote: "Copies on the left should only be added with a new group or an edited group, or it will be a gigantic list of the same objects to scroll through."

Or just 1 copy and then add some label on the top/left corner telling the qty of groups, that compound the group.
I was playing a bit with, first making a group, then cloning the group 3 times, then making a big group with those groups, and I has been able to edit each one, and so on, but yes, the left-hand panel was full of the same group.
If as an example all the groups are just barrels, and there are 3 groups within one big group, then one thumb with a label = 3, so the user knows how many groups are within the big group (let's say the parent, and the others are the children).
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2021 21:38 Edited at: 16th Mar 2021 21:40
Can someone tell me what is wrong with RMB context sensitive menus, i.e. rubber band select a bunch of entities, right click and the menu pops up with options: position/rotate/group/delete.
Select the option you want and you either get the position widget, rotation widget, a new group created or the entities all deleted.
Whenever the position or rotation widget is displayed, over on the right panel also have the value entry boxes, sliders or whatever else people think is 'intuitive' but for us 'advanced users' (i.e. normal human beings) leave as is.
In fact go one step further and have an 'advanced' option to enable the hiding of the right panel entirely and you are effectively back to the GG way of doing things.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Right click options on objects like in GG and many other engines would be much more intuitive for me as well. I've got used to the new method, almost, but there's room for both. Re-visiting GG after awhile on Max sometimes seems like luxury lol. Of course, it is a pretty well polished product now after about 8 years dev, so I think we can forgive that at the second.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 04:54:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 04:54:06