Product Chat / 100 CHARACTER PACK Idea

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2019 09:14
Quote: "looks like Preben has started a ‘July’ commit in Git so maybe bugs also being fixed?"

Great, still a one-man show then....

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 31st Jul 2019 14:29
Was it ever going to be anything else?

Preben definitively equivalent to at least 2 people .

Cheers
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 00:34
Quote: "
Was it ever going to be anything else?
Preben definitively equivalent to at least 2 people
"

Well, there was a time when it was just Lee, then along comes Preben which could now be three, the progress of course would fill one with glee. But since Lee is content to leave it others, it leaves us to think will GG recover.....

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 11:39 Edited at: 1st Aug 2019 11:39
Please stay on topic ..
Its the beginning of wandering off into other familiar territory.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 12:51
The CC has two main bugs
1/ the character accessories are sometimes left on the map after laying the character (this can usually be cured by reloading the map or GG)
2/ the body is 10x brighter than the head (this is because the body is still using the old character_basic.fx when changed to apbr_basic.fx in the fpe it goes away.
bug two I would think is an easy fix in the editor I just do it manually.
Having a 100 character pack is a good idea and if people want it great put it in the importer work is also a great idea, but as to removing CC from the software = bad idea.
Not everyone who buys this software is doing it to make games to sell, for some it maybe educational or for like me for fun to make a game up and give it out to the community for free to play around with.
From what I can see the CC doesn't really need that much work to get it just doing its job and as I have said previously just open up a forum section to let people post their own accessories etc and see where it goes at least then those that do use it can and those that don't want to don't have to.
If you prefer a name change that's fine call it the "basic character profiler" and let customers know its for making stand in characters until their skills get better or just for basic educational games.
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 13:18
@Honkeyboy : Renaming the Character Creator might be a good alternative to removing it, something to suggest its a very simple 'multiple-choice character assembler' and not the customize character feature from Red Dead 2
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 14:49 Edited at: 1st Aug 2019 14:52
" Custom character editor " or just " Character Editor "
Take the feel of a character Creation tool out of the loop and you can just edit what's there ?
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
We have had the discussion before about removing CC form GG. Most people agreed leaving it is best at the time.

It seems a no-brainer to me.

1: Leave it in as is.
2: Leave it in, but make it a separate app you run from outside GG.
3: Remove it entirely.

As I see it, option one is the best bet as it requires zero effort Option 2 is okay and may not ruffle many feathers either. Option 3 will for certain upset many Game Guru owners. If I were you I'd try to keep as many people as happy as possible. Why make people who use CC angry by removing it? I can't see ANY benefit from removing it. Your certainly not going to get any thank you letters from people who don't use it that's for sure. You will get complaints from people who do use it though.

If you have a new far superior system ready to slot into place instead fine, but as this is not the case, don't remove functionality that is utilised by a lot of people still.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 16:23 Edited at: 1st Aug 2019 19:03
Ye I voted leaving it in last time But this time I wasn't really that bothered myself.

Quote: "You will get complaints from people who do use it though."

Probably the best argument for leaving it in but if it stays the rename would be better.
Users complain that as a creator its not all that great .. But as an editor theres not to much to moan about

The thing that puts me off most is the hair .. Just a variation of more heads would be better with hair included.
I think it could be simplified and stabilized with better results rather than trying to add more technical stuff for now at least.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2019 22:14 Edited at: 1st Aug 2019 22:27
Yes the hair attachments are a pain :/ but the more people start to actually look into making stuff for it like they do with make human, the more interest as viable creator it will become, check this out for two hours work.
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220945
I took the helmet from the medieval pack and also have another 5 or so I made ready to go into it.
which brings me to @ Lee is it ok to post the Helmet as an attachment its the static one out of the medieval pack?
Once you have the hang of it tbh its pretty easy to make extra gear and I had some fun doing so
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 00:31 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2019 00:35
Quote: "So is work actually being done on this already?

Thought we were meant to be in bug fix mode...."

That is on topic....
And a legit question....

With regard to CC:
I agree the name is maybe of concern, so I would think it best to rename it but don't remove it.
Don't remove functionality that is there already, and upset those that use it. Just make it work.

GCE: Guru Character Editor

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 01:06 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2019 11:01
Quote: "That is on topic....
And a legit question...."

Indeed they are .. Those on the first page were fine

@Lee .. Will you be adding the ability to import the Make Human Characters and adding the Uber GG animations like your doing with the fuse characters as cybernescence mentioned ?
Or would you if we had no CC ?
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 01:35
It's like saying ok pbr isn't working atm ok lets take it out! oh hang on AI isn't working atm lets get rid of that too GG has some bugs....so what.
CC is a good idea it just needs some work you cant just chuck it in the bin... ok it'll need some time again so what its great idea and your working on other stuff atm ok we get it that's cool. Your a 1/2 man band atm @ Lee don't let people sway your judgement on some of the things that could make GG fun...isn't that what it's about?
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 03:49
@Honkeyboy: Feel free to post the Helmet and other modified assets for adding to the Character Creator selections, it will be interesting to see what the community think about them!

@synchromesh: I have just finished 'fixing' the ability to import characters from Mixamo (Bip01 rig) and apply the stock animations to them. You can import an FBX direct from MakeHuman but you will struggle to apply the animations. Best you save the model out of MakeHuman as an OBJ, load that OBJ into Mixamo, rig it with 2-finger-chain rig and export as FBX with TPOSE, then you can import that FBX model with Is Character = Use Uber Anims and it will add stock animations to any character imported in this way. I do think we need some better animations that work well with the MakeHuman and Mixamo rigs, and I will be looking into that again. For now, it sounds like a CC rename is indicated. I do like 'Character Editor' as it would remove the 'create' aspect but might also suggest the user can edit existing stock characters that are not designed to be edited.

@reliquia: Was there something specific in the Character Editor that did not work for you? I can create an issue in the tracker to ensure its reported if you can provide some details. Thanks.
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 08:10
Quote: "I have just finished 'fixing' the ability to import characters from Mixamo (Bip01 rig) and apply the stock animations to them. You can import an FBX direct from MakeHuman but you will struggle to apply the animations. Best you save the model out of MakeHuman as an OBJ, load that OBJ into Mixamo, rig it with 2-finger-chain rig and export as FBX with TPOSE, then you can import that FBX model with Is Character = Use Uber Anims and it will add stock animations to any character imported in this way."

Now this i love, we've been needing something like this forever!

Quote: "I do think we need some better animations that work well with the MakeHuman and Mixamo rigs, and I will be looking into that again."

Great idea, some of the stock animations, while good for their time, are getting a little dated and stale.

While we're on the subject of animations, it would be nice if you could at some point:

1) Supply a "broken down" stock animation rig with each individual animation as a separate rig so we can choose which animations we want using the append system.
2) Add a front end system for appending animation rigs via the importer, maybe a series of drop downs (with a + button so we can add more if we need more) with two options default and custom, the default drop down would let you choose a one of the default stock animations and custom would let you load in your own. Also for each animation selection another drop down to choose what that animation is assigned to (ie walk, run, other etc.).

If we had that it would revolutionise our importer and really give it something to brag about

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry I havent replied yet Lee.... Heres the link, ya gotta skip passed the blender export part of it to get to the good stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lm1G6mmSgo&t=172s
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 08:47
If we're keeping Character Creator, can you add a saturation slider to the tint adjusters? Right now you can only have 100% saturated colours tinting things, which looks garish and cartoony.

AE
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 11:02
Quote: "Now this i love, we've been needing something like this forever!"
Agree

@Lee, your 4 am finish today seems to have worked very well - very easy to import that type of rig now and automatically add the uber anims - obviously work best with male characters - took seconds to do the characters below. I'm still testing but looks really great so far. Thanks for letting me know you're working on the bugs too.

Cheers.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 15:14
Yes looks like some kind of animation organizer would finish off the importer's ability to bring it a lot of fresh assets and get them moving in-game, and the Copper Cube method of finding animation frame sequences and creating names for the ranges in a nice touch. Before I commit though I have someone looking at animations to see what the pro artists use (edited mo-cap loops), as I suspect a nicer method is importing individual animation files you can shuffle around might work better than pulling for a master block of animations (and keeps memory usage down too).

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 17:47
Ok if i may say something, @ Lee thank you for all the hard work , i think your ears are humming by this time of all the request. one last request, when all is done , please just make sure that the average user can also easily import better quality characters in to GG no matter witch way you are going to do it. I know Some may say at some point in time one must learn how to do these things, but for some its not so easy to do so.

Looking forward to some Awesome characters in GG.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2019 19:37
Sounding Realy interesting now Lee

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2019 00:44
reliquia wrote: "GCE: Guru Character Editor "

Good name.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2019 12:33
HM chars work fine in GG, even with your own anims.

Working in a horror pack for store, in babydolls as exactly, amoung other stuff.
These babydolls are HM most of them, any with custom ani.

Improve CC even add some new feature, can be good point; this may open a door for TGC selling CC props, attachments, and son, as DLC.

And can help the non artists users to get their own chars, even given the chance for the variety.

And about the CC rename, well... I say as chinese people: No matter the color of the cat while hunting mice.

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2019 04:36 Edited at: 4th Aug 2019 04:43
CC and CE will just take alot of time and work from the engine! Its better to have a "clean" engine.. I thought You were going to learn how to make games with Gameguru? You dont learn anything from using CC! Its better if GG prepares You for high end AAA engines where there are no CC neither CE...

...And great job Lee for fixing the probs with Mixamo/FUSE I think this will add mutch more interest to GG, and let People on Steam KNOW about it! I think the lack of Mixamo/FUSE support made alot of People to leave Gameguru.
Guess what Aiko and I did this weekend...
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoa 3com! Spooky video! It was late at home, in the wee hours of
the night. Kids where in bed, trying to sleep, and it was quiet except
for the fans blowing with a small constant humming sound. SUDDENLY! Blam!
This loud squawking and creepy haunted sound come screeching out
in shrill volume to fill the drowsy air with a blast of horror! Good job!

I think your ideas for CC are fine. With it fleshed out a little, I sure could see a
section in the store allotted for CC pieces distribution-- if they aren't too scarey!
CC could be a separate DLC-- why not?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2019 20:06
@ GubbyBlips
Ya! the neighbors thought there was a polstergeist in my house.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 19:36 Edited at: 10th Sep 2019 20:13
Hi Lee
Quote: "Problem for me is GG already comes with over 200 characters of all genres."

By far not, really
Many of the model packs contains models that looks very similar to the stuff that was released before, also for FPSC.
Would like 2 see finaly some fresh.If its really going on 2 be a 100 characters model pack, why dont make characters from totaly different eras?I know i told that a few times before, but why nobody made WWI characters?Or ancient Greek warriors or something like that?Would be a big simplification 4 a game project located in such specific time.I dont asking just 4 myselft for this stuff, it would be just a nice invitation 4 potential new customers.I think the "unofficial motto" of GG is "u can make this game whichever you imagine" but if u open the editor u have 4 choose only modern, ww2, horror, scifi and fantasy stuff.....Would i buy it?It depends,today its no problem 4 me anymore to edit and modeling that models that i want 2 see in my game, so i would buy it only if i found something interesing or hard 2 "re-modeling" by myself but if the content would be only a remastered version of older models, no.
I hope i explained my point good
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Firstly, I agree wholeheartedly that the character creator needs redoing from scratch. However, in the shorter term it could be hugely improved simply with the addition of new body/head parts. I managed to create a few custom head attachments about 18 months ago so I know it is possible and relatively easy. The hard part (for me) is creating decent models and textures. 18 or so months ago I suggested a sub category be added to the store for character creator parts but was told artists are not allowed to sell such parts because the character creator is 'experimental'. But for how long does it have to be experimental?

Honestly, I think it is a shame and unfair that GameGuru's reputation suffers due to the overuse of stock assets in published games. But I also feel opportunities to allow developers to customise assets are being missed.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2019 08:25 Edited at: 12th Sep 2019 08:26
simply make and easy pipeline to correcly import animated models from major standard format like .fbx and eventually compatiblity with .fbx format of unity asset store and problem is solved

if we have a 100 characters pack the obviusly will be sotck characters for GG users so automatically there will be the same characters on all GG games like now.. LOL
PC Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
As always-- I've mentioned several times, I too would like to see the
character creator expanded. And go ahead and sell it as a DLC to recoup the
development costs. Keep it a separate and optional editor from GG engine.
Think about if various formats where allotted by it-- it could be used by
many engines and be a best seller!

Secondly, the 100 character pack--
Any news on this-- or has the idea been disbanded?

PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2019 18:05 Edited at: 12th Sep 2019 18:09
Quote: "simply make and easy pipeline to correcly import animated models from major standard format like .fbx and eventually compatiblity with .fbx format of unity asset store and problem is solved"

Its not so simply,GG is not advanced as unity where u can import models with whole animations included.GG have specified animation mechanics, the frames 4 all the moves have 2 be in th FPE.Its pretty unreal that someday GG will allows u just drag and drop models and edit the animations.
PM
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2019 18:08
+1 Lee
You can't teach an old dog.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 02:00:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 02:00:28