Work In Progress / Dimoxiland Development Blogs.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:27 Edited at: 5th May 2017 11:44
DIMOXILAND Development Blogs

Hi everyone.
I am Dimoxinil, an independent game developer and my intention is use this space to show my advances in my GameGuru games.

SPACE LOSERS

It's essentially a FPS with the soul of a boardgame... Why am I saying these useless words?

Synopsis
The player assume the role of a group of "Losers" abducted to another planet!
The first thing to be found when spawn in the planet is a enormous labyrinth populated by strange robots who think that you're legendary heros who's supposed to save them.. poor fools. They even give you a unique mystical weapon to each of them. What the hell is going on here., and most importantly.. So how hammered was I when I write the story of the game.

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:28 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 12:34
Space loser dev blog 01
First steps In the game I.

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:30 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 12:41
Space loser dev blog 02
First steps In the game II.

The Radiation/mechanics has changed Now, the radiation is applied only in certain areas.
and.. yes.... The dialogues are provisional.
Next dev blog Combat mechanics.

Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:46
This looks really awesome, I always loved your style of work If i may ask, what ever happened to my little apocalypse world. I really loved how it was turning out! is it still something you wish to pursue or have you put it on hold? Anyway love what you've got here!
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 12:57 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2017 13:00
Hi Johno, thanks for your comment.
This game is my little apocalypse world... or their evolution. Is the same project.
Basically, the game has adapted to GameGuru characteristics and limitations .

Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 13:02
I see! apologies for my ignorance, I wondered why the style and feel was the same I'm madly looking forward to this. Good work!
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
You don't have to excuse yourself, thank you for your encouragement.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
still looks great, glad to see you're still working on it
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks smallg.
I do my best, but... I do not believe that it is sufficient. lol
All that I learned about Lua I owe to your scripts. Thank you very much.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 16:51
Great style ,the whole thing looks fantastic

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 18:06
Nice to see you back, dimoxinil.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your support and interest. Yes, I am back.
I need to promote the game, and what better way to do that than start here.

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2017 22:48
Like Johno 15 said, I really like the style of your work. It really sets it apart from pretty much everything else. Keep up the great work!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your comment and your words of support , Jerry.

lotgd
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2017 14:06
The menus are really amazing! good job!

My Pc Specs : Win10pro64bit /Msi z97 / i74770k / gtx1070 / 16gb ram / SSD 850Evo
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2017 18:14
Please add a selection of screenshots to your first post, Dimoxi!

The project is very impressive! The menues, dynamics and presentation has a professional feel to it.
There is a lot of dedication and hard skill at work here!

I also like the concept and title I really do but for the look: I did prefer your FPSC work there. This just looks very well crafted but ultimately generic to me.
I have the feeling I've seen this style in about half a dozen other indie projects.

In the end, this is among the best work on here and I hope to see it finished! Or perhaps a little demo some time soon?

-Wolf

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This just looks very well crafted but ultimately generic to me.
I have the feeling I've seen this style in about half a dozen other indie projects. "

disagree, the basic style is popular though and it suits the indie scene fine as you can get away with more than trying to create a super realistic world.

Quote: "I do my best, but... I do not believe that it is sufficient. lol"

it's coming together nicely, definitely seeing a sense of direction with the levels and the tutorial is well done.
the decals inside the boxes is a neat touch and i prefer the new radiated areas compared to the whole level being radiated too

@1:45 (ish) in the first video the pop up is wrong, it says "remainremain" and it should be "a portal" not "an portal"

this is likely a long way down the list of priorities but i think the game could use some form of body for when you don't have a gun, maybe some arm swing for running and jumping in future? just feels a bit odd to play a platformer in first person in general for me tbh but i wouldn't recommend GG's third person at all - that would be way worse
lua guide for GG
windows 10
lotgd
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2017 20:39
As smallg says, the third person is obscene, and limits even more the use of gg.
But I suppose, seeing the gun in the hud ,the arms will be there.

Still compliments, and I hope to see some small demo playable

My Pc Specs : Win10pro64bit /Msi z97 / i74770k / gtx1070 / 16gb ram / SSD 850Evo
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
The artistic style of the game (stylized ) was chosen according to the project needs, which are basically Time and resources .

Quote: "i prefer the new radiated areas compared to the whole level being radiated too"

I have to admit that this change was through on feedback from a ubisoft leveldessigner ( bragging about friends.. That's what mediocre guys do ) and Many thanks for the syntax corrections. Please If you see any syntax error feel free to correct me.

The arm swing for running and jumping concept, That's one thing I hadn't figured, I'll make a note of it, but.. as you suggest, the platformer mechanics do not work well, it's possible that remove them.

Quote: "I hope to see some small demo playable"

I'm sorry, but I don't have immediate plans for a demo. I'm really focusing on the steam early access.

Thanks for your feedback, whether positive or negative.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 10:13
I wouldn't call talking about a friend who works for ubisoft bragging to be honest, have you seen "for honor" yet? :p

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2017 20:02 Edited at: 24th Apr 2017 20:04
I had to admit that I was laughing so hard, man.

Grampa's stories...

I belong to a little group of friends who had met while we were working in Zoombeer (Quite possibly one of the worst videogame in human history) All are working in major game studios now, except myself. Raise his hand the loser of the group!!

PS.
I will pass along to him your comment.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm sorry, but I don't have immediate plans for a demo. I'm really focusing on the steam early access."

Awesome well now is the time to get it greenlite at least before the changes .... Then you can take it easy with development
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Greenlight s is a really important part of the process. Unfortunately I cannot comment on this now. Please accept my apologies.

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 11:43 Edited at: 6th May 2017 09:50
SPACE LOSERS DEVELOPER BLOG

Changes and corrections of one poorly desig.

My goal is to create fast and simple game where you feel inside a boardgame, playing cards, rolling dices, switching between heroes, etc.. By creating a long intro/tutorial with platforms, elevators, harvesting medicinal plants, etc.. I was showing the player a worng gameplay. One of the biggest changes i made is reducing more than half its duration and eliminating and replacing certain game mechanicals. I still have quite a ways to go but the intro/tutorial is now much more dynamic and fluid.

Make a journey.

This weekly update on Space losers i would like to talk about the random path system of the game. (Pictured above) You'll have to forgive me if this post gets really boring. I've been hard at work for the last weeks developing a simple but yet effective random path system.
The game does NOT use procedurally generated mazes. Instead, it uses a random selection of paths that converge at certain checkpoint areas. This process is repeated until find some final boss. Whenever you embark on a journey up the maze, the path differs each time. A simple but effective. That's great for replayability, but can be a challenge when trying to create a balanced game.

Loser event

Before each engagement, the player must play an card event that it will have negative repercussions if he dosen't make it through.

You're going to need a good dice roll or a Hero with a high lucky factor. Well.. is a game about losers. What were you expecting?

The negative space.

Since the last update quite a few things were fixed, , especially the poor use of negative space in the game. It was difficult to distinguish between floor and walls, it was a too uniform color. I am starting to get the result i want. I’ll be attaching a newest screenshot from the game and the way it’s looking so far.

In the near future, we will be showing the combat system of the game, so stay tuned.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
An ingenous game and the fact your able to do this in GameGuru is amazing !!
The standard of quality just blows me away. Really looking forward to this getting on steam and purchasing of course
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2017 17:24
Incredible work as always Dimoxinil.

I have EVERYTHING crossed that you keep going with this one and manage to finish it! I would love to play this game. Remember, I will happily play test anything you need testing! (this means send me the game now......please.....)

Looking forward to seeing more on this.

Cheers

Jay.

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 09:44 Edited at: 6th May 2017 09:51
Thanks for your support and comments guys, helped me a lot!

My intention is to encourage the GameGuru users to try and do games differents, with certain degree of originality. All of us want to do the next Fallout, skyrim, cod, etc.. but it's an impossible task. I am the last person who should be giving advice of unfinished development.

This video explains perfectly what I am trying to say here.

Medieval Steveis now on Steam Greenligh. The most important thing now is help to each other, so we all go to show our support.

Have a good one!

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 6th May 2017 10:50
Quote: "Medieval Steveis now on Steam Greenligh. The most important thing now is help to each other, so we all go to show our support"

Pft, Medieval Steve's a UE game, J's a GG traitor! I won't be upvoting that! ..... hehe just kidding J buddy, luv ya to bits mate, I've given it a good ole thumbs up from all my steam accounts

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
like the new approach, very different and sounds cool but also quite surprised you decided to change it so drastically after such a long time of development.
lua guide for GG
windows 10
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2017 17:17 Edited at: 6th May 2017 17:34
The development of the game has been a tortuous journey by two factors. The limitations of the engine and lack of resources (money, money, mooooney). The game has suffered several changes and all of which were dropped due to the lack of quality, to the extent that I thought about dropping the project.
A few months ago I came up with the idea of merge the videogames with the boardgames and take full advantage of material created and be mindful of the engine limitations.
Slowly, everything starts to line up and most importantly, I came to enjoy it because it made me feel good.

Medieval Steveis now on Steam Greenligh.
The most important thing now is help to each other, so we all go to show our support.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2017 12:20
Quote: "and most importantly, I came to enjoy it because it made me feel good."

The most important thing of all,if it's not fun why do it .love the look of this game.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing I like about this one is you don't really need to have enemy AI running around.
You could happily make it very addictive with tricks, traps and tasks which would make development much more stable IMHO
PM
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your comments and feedback.!
Dave, I agree completely with you what If you're not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.
synchromesh. I'm working on the IA combat at this very moment (attached to a captured image.). Battles took place in big rooms and you can't get out them until you kill all the enemies, which increase in difficulty, with tricks and traps. there will be tasks but I am still debating just how to do it... blends harmoniously into the game.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2017 22:36
Its always a very fine line between a fun hobby and a second job, isn't it?

Looks good! I like your use of foliage! I believe it adds a lot.

-Wolf

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2017 19:58 Edited at: 9th May 2017 20:00
In my case it is first and second job.
I left my job at the the video games industry to take care of a family member (These things happen) and frankly, if the games sales are below expectations.. it' will be a lot of dead hope. But that's not happening becose I'm going to get a fun little game. I'll handle that.

-Dimoxinil

The most important thing now is help to each other, so we all go to show our support.

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2017 14:30
Dimoxinil,

You have an absolute gem of a game here. If you stay focused and keep having fun with the development, that will show in the final product.

I have always admired your work. The early FPSC stuff you worked on, the last iteration of this game (My Little Apocalypse Town) and this version now; heck, I even loved it when you were working with Moonbite games and worked on Zombeer. Still have that in my steam library.

I honestly hope everything works out for you, financially. Nothing is more of a driving force than money! You have a guaranteed purchase from me, as soon as it's released!

Also, thanks for supporting Medieval Steve! Means a lot. Thanks.

Belidos......I taught you how to model.....you have betrayed me....your own father! How could you!? Haha. Luv you too buddy!

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2017 02:24
this is quite literally the perfect posterchild for gameguru's commercial game production capabilities! excellent art direction. still loving every frame of it.
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all of the support and the nice thoughts, but above all I should like to apologize for the game Zombeer. My profuse apologies to you, J's.
Don't expect too much from one co-creator of Zombeer.. Flee, It is not too late.

-Dimoxinil

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 16:44
Quote: "but above all I should like to apologize for the game Zombeer. My profuse apologies to you, J's.
Don't expect too much from one co-creator of Zombeer.. Flee, It is not too late."

You know, the strange thing? I actually really enjoyed the game. It was funny, had good gameplay, the art style was great and the weapons (while limited in number) were very imaginative and looked great.

Mrs Baird
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2017 18:04
Dimoxinil!

Really great level of expertise and taste here! Keep up the amazing and original work... I am really curious how it will turn out and you sure have me as a buyer!

Also, this post should be hammered as a sticky to inspire GG-users to use original development ideas.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4 x CORES / FPUs @3900 MHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti [2 GB] passive cooled - 8GB DDR 3 SDRAM - Win 10 Pro [64 Bit] - Audiosystem: Marian Marc Seraph AD2 - 2 x UAD-2 DSPs
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 07:54 Edited at: 13th May 2017 07:55
Thanks for your support and comments guys! To be able to inspire GG user is a strong encouragement for me, even though it's an example of how not to do things.

Tomorrow I'll post a new little developer blog.

-Dimoxinil

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 13th May 2017 12:31
It's really fantastic to see you've returned dimoxinil. And I'm happy you didn't give up on this project!

The core mechanics of a board game and FPS game being combined is pretty unique. Do you create everything from the UI to 3d assets to scripts yourself?

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

Overall, this is by far the most polished game on this forum. I'm not a fan of the minimalist artwork but you do it justice! The color palette is perfect, each color compliments the next. Even if they're two completely contrasting colors next to each other. Well done dimoxinil! Well done!
Youtube.com/c/Landmanhd1080p - LandmanHD Youtube Gaming Channel | chrislandman.mypixelbox.net - My Design Portfolio | Artrift.com - Digital Art Community
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2017 20:42 Edited at: 13th May 2017 20:50
Thank you for your comment Landman.

Quote: "Do you create everything from the UI to 3d assets to scripts yourself?"

Well... My personality has split into several distinct personalities, so we help each other.. I think I need my prescription checked.
But, joking aside. Yes, space loser is basically work of one author. I could probably do another game only with the reject material.

Quote: "If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living? "

I worked in the game and animation industry for a lot of years. I won't deceive you, I worked on a very small study so I had to do a little bit of everything. I left my job to take care of a family member a few years ago.. Right now I'm already working on two GG games and I dedicate all my time to it. Space Losers should be out by later this year, and I hope to sell enough to be able to continue creating games.

I don't feel comfortable talking about my life , and I'd rather focus on the game. A Loser who makes games about losers., that's all.

-Dimoxinil

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 08:25 Edited at: 14th May 2017 08:26

Upgradable Weapons

I am pleased to bring you some new information about the weapons in Space losers and how the system works.

One of the key features of gameplay in Space losers is that all the game characters can only use their own guns. It's kind of similar to overwatch.. Bridging the Gap. Each loser its own weapon and every one of them are different from other. John has a revolver, Daniel has a Assault Rifle, Anthony has a shotgun, Martha has a grenade launcher, etc.. The problem I found is that play an round game (40 minites approx) with the same weapon can get a little annoying. The Solution I found was a simple but yet effective the weapon upgade system.

First, let's take a look at some weapon art. This is Lazarus the Anthony weapon.

Every weapon has five states (I do not rule out some more states/evolutions) and the player always stars a round with your weapon in state one. As you progress with the game round you can upgrade your weapon.

There are several weapon upgrade stations spread all around the maze. In these stations, you can upgrade your loser weapon if you have enought cells. With every weapon upgrage, The price in cells will rise considerably.

I have made a simple menu for the stations. It is my intention that the player can understand it instinctively. Simple but yet effective (I like these words)

I don't want to bore you. That's all. I'll leave you with a sceenshot. Bye!

-Dimoxinil

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2017 18:20
Quote: " I could probably do another game only with the reject material. "

Me too! I have so much scrapped stuff that I just make a small shooter out of it ATM

I agree with Landman, this is the most polished game currently in development.

-Wolf
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Wolf, thanks for the comment, the game is still in its early yet but I do my best. I'm convinced that there are people in the forum who can do it better than I (It is also not very difficult ) if They'll have equal time to work in their games.

P.S.
the command g_Entity[e]['limbhitindex'] is wonderful.

-Dimoxinil

dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2017 12:20 Edited at: 22nd May 2017 16:50

I am Dimoxinil, the creator of Space Losers and after almost 2 years of solitary work, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. but is too deem.

In the GG last update , the IA has improved considerably but but I think it's not still enough . I've been working intensively with the AI the last week and I can say that the Pathfinding is unstable.. some times (10-20%) the Pathfinding breaks down and the enemies move in a straight line. It's like the Pathfinding system doesn't start. I close and restard GG and everything worked well again.. I need to run some more tests.

AI.

Today, I'm going to talk to you about de Ai in the game.

In the last few weeks I have added another little big brick to the game... the behaviour of the enemies. The AI in the game is not a very complex one.. You might say the Ai is very arcade. The game will be provided with with different enemy types, which implies different behaviour. Let's have a look at the first enemy.. The larva.

The larva is the most weakes enemy, has two life points and one attack pont. It is the most slower enemy, their strong point is that they attack in groups. The Larvas have two weaknesses, her head and her tail end. If you can shoot them in those points you will do more harm.

Critical hits.

When you hit the enemy most vulnerable parts, you have a chance to make a critical hit. The more luck your character have, the more chances you'll have to do a critical and everythin is complemented with visual and sound displays.

That's it for today. The next Developer blog will be a video showing the combat in the game.

-Dimoxinil

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2017 13:22
I am sure Lee is on with the AI. He seems to be making tremendous strides with the engine, recently. Have you sent him a detailed AI report? The thing I have noticed is, people just expect Lee to know what is going wrong in their games, but, without being notified, and no complaints, Lee will assume that everything is fine. (I will state, this is not directed towards yourself, just a general passing statement).

The new update look s great. I like the basic enemy and the weak points. Are all the enemies going to have these weak spots?

I really enjoy the way that you showcase your work, it always comes off in a very professional manner! Good work buddy!

Cheers

Jay.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
if you get stuck and need help with the AI you can email me and i'll try assist (though i do not have time to join your development)
lua guide for GG
windows 10
dimoxinil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2017 16:30 Edited at: 22nd May 2017 16:57
As always, Thank you again for your feedback!

Quote: "Have you sent him a detailed AI report?"

I haven't any report yet, Jay. I want to be sure before telling him, I need to run some more tests.

I think I've been a bit harsh wiht GG, I'm going to edit the devblog.

Quote: "Are all the enemies going to have these weak spots? "

Yes, That is my intention. I want them can be easily identified but as the enemies are more powerful, the weal spots are better protected.

Thank you very much for your kind offer, smallg. If I'm overwhelmed, I will ask for your help.. again.

Thank you both so much.

-Dimoxinil

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:33:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:33:54