GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 18:07 Edited at: 27th Nov 2017 00:52

by Cybernescence Ltd

The Cogwheel Chronicles

1882. A steam powered world simmers.
Airships, automatons and armies maintain an uneasy peace.
But as science feeds humanity's hunger for power ...
myth and magic will not stay buried forever.
Journey to a history unlike our own ...
and explore a future where fact and fiction blur.
The Steampunk Adventure Of The Century.

https://youtu.be/XEUeYYnVWis

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 18:08 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:43
A video test of one level in progress:

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 20:50
That looks brilliant cybernescence, I've not seen anything else like it in GG.

Great style and theme
PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2015 20:58
I must admit that I thought I canĀ“t stand Steampunk any more at all. But this is brilliant!
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Very imaginative....a lot of well thought out detail and it all ties together nicely. I sincerely hope you don't find this halted due to a lack of available media. Some assets are pretty good quality and some are falling a tad short, if you can pull this one off you will have a really interesting game
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 07:10
wow, great! i really like the "dodo car" (?)
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 07:41
Keeping an eye out for this one. Love the fact you got airships to work as vehicles! Wow!

Shadow man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 23:03
Some good work on display here, and something a bit different to what we
normally see, keep working on it, I like it.
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, Intel CPU G530 @ 2,40GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GT730 2GB GDDR5,
Patriot Blast SSD, DX11.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 13:11 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:44
Many thanks for the encouragement guys

rolfy, you're correct, it is difficult to secure the right assets for the available funds . Of course you'll recognise your great skybox getting lots of use above!

A pic of some of the NPCs made with Fuse (thanks to Bored of the Rings and Emrys for the help with this process):

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 20:06 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 09:57
This looks fantastic!! Seems like a masterpiece in the making!
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2015 15:58
Love those characters, can't wait to see more.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
wow thatĀ“s nice
www.alemargames.com
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 21:33 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:45
Currently working many many hours on the back drop and environment for a steampunk 1882 alternative universe London, which is a task I might have to curtail soon and reduce the ambition of the city scape . Haven't got any decent pictures of that yet, so here's a steampunk storm trooper character that may make it into the game:

Attachments

HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2016 22:19
Thats nice work. that stormtrooper..
really cool...

harry
Harry
PM
Dosedmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2016 05:08 Edited at: 11th Jan 2016 05:27
Looks brilliant. Do you have some tutorials of how you created the characters?

Was it only fuse? E.G. the Robots too.

I think the first image on your website opening, the video type back drop should be changed, you have some much cooler in game video here in this thread.

I am looking forward to playing this game!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2016 14:29 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:56
Quote: "Thats nice work. that stormtrooper.."

Thanks Harry. Luckily with robots, mix and matching components helps to generate something new looking quickly . I need to reach somewhere near half your skill level if I'm to complete this game (I'll never be as good)

Quote: "Looks brilliant. Do you have some tutorials of how you created the characters? Was it only fuse? E.G. the Robots too."

Thanks Dosedmonkey! I don't have any tutorials unfortunately, but as I mostly buy and repurpose assets (cut up and glue back together with some retexturing) then they might not be of interest anyway. I tell myself I do this because I need to keep a certain speed up with this project, but it's more like I don't have the skill to create characters from scratch .

Quote: "I think the first image on your website opening, the video type back drop should be changed, you have some much cooler in game video here in this thread."

Yes you are correct - I've told the web manager (myself) to sort this out asap. Thanks for the nudge

Here's another character that I'm thinking will definitely make it into game - COGSBODY. Cogsbody is inspired by a certain Fallout 4 character and a new Star Wars character. He rolls around after you like BB8 but transforms when needed ...

Cheers.

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 05:39
I like your style This is coming along nicely.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2016 20:51
love the last shot, that is real atmosphere right there, the houses etc all work and gel brilliantly
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2016 01:00 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:57
Thanks science boy & Wolf. It's WIP threads like yours that's giving me inspiration ...

Below is imported landscape that covers the entire GG map. I think it looks better for some low level flying levels where landing is not possible (in the game), but still working out how it might be useable (FPS goes up too).

Just another character screen shot (with a rolfy sky box):

Attachments

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2016 22:53 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:58
Spent most of the day in London 1882 trying to avoid the Tesla pea-souper. Took a daguerreotype whilst there (that's "Drunt" taking himself for a walk in the foreground):

Cheers.

Attachments

Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2016 05:24
Looking good, cybernescence - the atmosphere has a 'Dishonored' feel about it. The imported terrain looks good too - If only we could create terrain like that within GameGuru.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2016 13:57 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:58
Thanks Gtox. I'm struggling with terrain to make it look more natural for the outdoor levels (and especially hiding the water plane and square edges of the terrain from an elevated view point) and having the known about AI nav issues for indoor control and characters at height. But have faith it will all come good and continue to work on story detail, characters and levels.

The new 'limbhit' feature is great - for example if you hit these miners' gas tanks, you're in for a surprise

Attachments

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2016 11:14 Edited at: 1st May 2016 12:59
Hi - taking a break from London construction work oversight and now visiting the weapons factory. The design that is being built is from Professor Callan's portfolio:

We're not sure of the name for this ... it's a cross between a blunderbuss and a shotgun . "Boomhilda" as a work-in-progress product name came from thinking about Allan Quartermain's rifle name from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie.

Attachments

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 15:05 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2016 15:05
Here is BoomHilda in the game, also with a FallOut4 style HUD.

The HUD I've included as attachment in case anyone needs this kind of thing too (place files in scriptbank\radar\ folder and use as per Ravey's radar (radar2.lua instead), but for those entities with the objective2.lua script, also set the name of the entity to the number of the sequence for the objective - so if you have three objective entities, set the name of one to 1, the next to 2 etc. in the order to be visited.)

Attachments

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 22:32
Jaw drop on the miner character photo this is simple delightful to follow I actually enjoy this thread
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2016 23:35
Very very nice work here...
Indeed a joy to follow..

harry
Harry
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 17:35
This is coming along superbly. Great job. Custom graphics, does make it interesting.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 19:20
Awesome work!
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2016 19:27
Really well done cybernescence, keep up this great job.
Love the atmosphere you get.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Jan 2016 19:10 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 09:58
@cybernescence, I have an important question. Where can a person buy a Boomhilda? I have a miner problem in my back garden.

Great work! Really like how the progress is coming along here.
Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Custom hud, grafix and characters - easily mistaken for AAA title if this suddenly appeared in Steam. Really nice work.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2016 13:46 Edited at: 26th Jan 2016 13:47
@ science boy, HarryWever, Pirate Myke, Jerry Tremble, 3com, Landman - many thanks for dropping by and the support

@Landman - the BoomHilda is not yet available, so let's hope your back garden miner problem, is, err, minor and can be sorted with a spade

@Isagabe - thanks for the kind words, won't get anywhere that level with the resources available, but the intention (he says whilst waving a schedule around) is for a release of a hopefully reasonable game that may appeal not just to those who like the steampunk meme. Famous last words eh?

Another of Professor Callan's designs has been found and is being constructed by the Babbage & Armstrong weapon-smiths:

Attachments

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 18:22 Edited at: 1st May 2016 13:00
Quickly created some aerial mines today to have a bit of target practice with the new guns. Still got some tweaking to do on these, but think they are nearly there ... I especially like 'go-lucky' mode, but rattles through the ammo.

Also working on a vehicle that is key to one of the levels. Am almost there with getting it drivable around the London streets, just having a bit of trouble detecting collisions ...
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2016 19:43
These look much better in motion than on the screenshots. I like your game a lot! It quickly became one of my favorites on here A lot of innovation!

The pistol looks way too much like a nerve gun, and is thus seen in too many of these steampunk cosplays for me to like, but I guess its chosen for that kind of craft because it does look very steampunk'esque.

I'm very fond of what you do with the HUD's in your project. Please keep it up! We can all learn from this.

-Wolf
shivers
Years of Service
User Offline
I have just one word to say wow!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 18:59
Thank you Wolf - yes well done on spotting the pistol type . I haven't settled on an overall HUD layout framework yet, still experimenting. The last one there on the video, I kind of liked at first but now I think it is too 'cartoony' for the feel of the game. Something will click eventually.

Thanks shivers, appreciate the word

To quote myself:

Quote: "Also working on a vehicle that is key to one of the levels. Am almost there with getting it drivable around the London streets, just having a bit of trouble detecting collisions ..."

Drivable vehicle script is pretty much done now. The steampunk car I'm working on is used as a demo vehicle in this video and it hasn't any animations yet and textures are mostly placeholders (those back wheels are going to be much larger diameter, give it more of a drag look), however the concept of driving vehicles with collision works fine. I have to crawl around this canyon to get through it without crashing, so some cool driving level creation fun to be had ...

Cheers.

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2016 20:14
are you gonna sell your script parts at all? if not fair play. not have to sell your models you just seem vry good at vehicles and toying with all that that just boggles me to be honest, love how you are going with this.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 00:29 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 09:58
That vehicle rocks! Haha! I like the little exhaust smoke details.
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 04:07 Edited at: 29th Jan 2016 04:48
If you are intrested I have a model that I created that was supposed to have been used in an older steampunk project 'The Principality of Mars' by Big Fish, but I never got around to animating it. If you don't mind the work of animating it it's yours to use in this project.

Attachments

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2016 07:35
this went from looking okay to absolutely unbelievable. I will continue to follow this thread.
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2016 13:26
@science boy.

Quote: "are you gonna sell your script parts at all? if not fair play"

The scripts that are easy to deploy I've released on the forums here (like the swimming and HUD ones). Some of the others (to coin a Lee phrase) usually have the 'wires hanging out' and would take some time to make user friendly. Not sure if anyone would want these anyhow.

@Landman

Quote: "That vehicle rocks! Haha! I like the little exhaust smoke details"

Thank you! Yes I added the rocking back/forward and smoke on start-up for a bit of fun

@SDisturbing 13

Quote: "If you are intrested I have a model that I created that was supposed to have been used in an older steampunk project
"

That would be great(very generous of you) - I'd like to have a go at animating and using for this project if you're happy to let me.

@Bugsy

Quote: "this went from looking okay to absolutely unbelievable
"

Thanks Bugsy. Got to say I enjoyed your WIP video too, the jumping from roof to roof and the scale in height movement of the player made me think ... looked great.

Sorry to bore you with the same sort of video, but have updated the vehicle with animations and now got some sprite dials going too. And no, I didn't mean to crash into the water at the end of the video

Next up though I'll post a vid of the 'lock pick' scenario (inspiration from a certain assassins game here)

Cheers.

Isagabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Us mere mortals are in awe! Amazingly well done.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2016 17:26
fantastic skills and i definately would love them to dabble and explore with, but i would rather you created your world than to quench the never ending hunger of the community. great work and keep going the spice must flow!
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 15:01
Thanks Isagabe and science boy (sb - I'll sort out the scripts for you to dabble with).

Well after playing, and getting some inspiration from Bioshock (specifically the magnetic hooks and vigours) and seeing how Bugsy moved his player so effectively vertically over the map across buildings I thought Cogwheel needs some of that game play, so adapted a 'weapon' and created some code for it with some HUD updates:

The 'hook' objects are placeholders but I like the basic game play, uses the mouse buttons for all of the hook movement and feels quite smooth in operation.

Cheers.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 20:31
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to Disturbing 13 for the steam knight!

Quote: "If you are interested I have a model that I created that was supposed to have been used in an older steampunk project 'The Principality of Mars' by Big Fish, but I never got around to animating it. If you don't mind the work of animating it it's yours to use in this project."

I still have to work to do on the rolling animation, but initial work done - a quick half minute video showing the steam knights in action. I think they are destined to become the (Buckingham) palace guard ... Thanks D13!

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Feb 2016 20:54 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 09:58
Love the grappling hooks concept!

Are you going to animate the Steam Knights so that their wheel rolls? At the moment they seem to somehow run.
Disturbing 13
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2016 00:28
Quote: "I think they are destined to become the (Buckingham) palace guard ... Thanks D13!"

No problem! I'm glad to see him put to use and as the palace guards would be great as that was his original intent for the other project. Can't wait to see this project in a playable level!

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 00:18 Edited at: 1st May 2016 13:00
@Landman, yes the bouncing tyre attack approach of the steam knights is a bit weird but oddly engaging? But I've got the wheel animation working now, just struggling a bit with the rag doll, can't quite get it to work properly, but will keep at it.

@Disturbing 13 - thanks again, aiming towards the end of the year for a release ...

The lost formula for the remarkable new alloy invented by Dr. Cavor with the virtue of being OPAQUE to GRAVITY has been found!

As have the designs for the moon sphere, that have been adapted for the first men in Mars:

[ won't mean much to anyone who doesn't like old books, old films, or is, err, old ]

Attachments

Crazy Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 01:23
Nice looking game
Download My Games for Android. Made with AGK.
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 02:29
Quote: "[ won't mean much to anyone who doesn't like old books, old films, or is, err, old ]"

Cavorite... and no one among us is that old! Are you a vampire?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 17:48:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 17:48:28