Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2015 00:03
Puts my work to shame! Need to brush up on modeling abilities

But seriously! You're a damn artist and you know it!

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 10:36
Massive thread necro here...

Been having PC problems and various life garbage going on. So, apologies for the lack of updates. The good news is that I recently added a new HDD so I can record video again.

Still loads of engine issues related to weapons with GG. Honestly, between bugs, limited functionality, and dated rendering; it's a bit discouraging but I've managed to chip away at some stuff.

In the video, you may notice some of the issues though I tried to minimize triggering them in the demo. One of the most annoying things is that whenever you come to a stop, the engine-side head-bobble does not reset which causes the model to be offset a bit. This makes the iron sights misaligned. You'll probably notice a few times when I'm shooting at something and missing repeatedly before getting frustrated and moving on. The excessive amount of player movement caused by shooting is also annoying. Other issues such as animations locking up, missing muzzle flash light, or inheriting in-gun ammo quantities when swapping weapons may be less apparent. Some issues are cosmetic while others can be game breaking.

As for the models themselves, some of the tri-counts can be a little beefy but the draw calls are minimal. Each weapon uses no more than 4 draw calls since everything has been grouped into minimal mesh groups and skinned (one group for arms, another for weapon). Compare to raw port of x9 weapons which in some cases had 20 or more draw calls. Hopefully that will mean that they should age somewhat more gracefully and when devs get around to a proper DX upgrade they should run efficiently.

Weapons in the video are mostly complete save for some tweaks needed here and there on my end. Some of them are new versions of older ones I've done but for the most part they have been significantly if not completely remodeled (they just happen to be things that I like). They, of course, have also been re-rigged.

I will likely see what I can do about the lower thumb area on the hands as with some weapons they are too polygonal looking for my taste. The good thing is that my new rig allows for much easier hand updates across multiple weapons.

There is also a general texture ballance pass that needs to be made as in some models the blacks are coming across as too dark. In general I like to balance things across a large number/variety of weapons so that they can be polished for consistency. That is probably the main reason that I have withheld releasing any of these although most of these are quite usable as they sit. I know waiting is frustrating.

On a side note, I've been avoiding weapons that I know will be a hassle in GG. I should probably bite the bullet and do them anyways (bugs and all) in hopes to persuade TGC to get things a bit closer to the options we had in FPSC. Might be a non-starter though as they no longer have a direct interest in the asset store. We shall see.

Comments and Crits are welcome.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
Nailgrind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 11:09
Looking forward to these guns, they'll be an instant buy for me!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic work .... Buyer ready here also
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 12:01
WANT! WANT! WANT! Here take my money *throws wallet at EAI"

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2017 12:45
Nice weapon update.i have your fpsc weapon pack so I no they will be high quality .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 13:23 Edited at: 30th Mar 2017 13:23
Thanks for the encouragement guys

BTW, if anyone wants a closer look at some of the models, you can check out some 3D viewer previews on my site here: https://eaimedia.com/docs/3d-embedding-tests-and-teasers/

The look of some are a bit different because the viewer uses a sort of faux PBR shader system which I use for initial texturing then port the maps to something GG uses (and loose a fair amount of material fidelity in the process). I'll be happy if GG ever gets some modern rendering with better control over gloss and such.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 15:45
Fantastic work. Sadly for the forseable future I am medieval and need a wizards or knights hands and weapons some nice swords, crossbow, bow, war axe, flails, war hammer, etc. So if ever you looking for something to do and want a certified sale I am here.

Excellent work though
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 16:31 Edited at: 30th Mar 2017 16:35
Quote: "you may notice some of the issues"

Yes! I was hoping you'd release these next year when my game is out so there aren't better weapons around!

The superiority of these weapons is so vast, they look like they are straight out of an immorally high budgeted blockbuster!
You've always been aces at modeling, there is nothing I can really comment on except that it rocks! I'm happy to see that your animations and especially the sounds are way better as well. Everything evolved, perfectly!

You might help me with my (your old) guns! I'm too stupid to get the iron sights aligned properly in GG, the gun always zooms out of frame which is really rustling my jimmies. Anything I miss? what value to I have to mod in what way?

(and can you stop being so much better than everyone else at this? We get it already! You have a long swingin'... professional experience in 3D modeling. )
@Science Boy: Looksie here!

-Wolf
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 16:58 Edited at: 30th Mar 2017 19:41
Quote: "@Science Boy: Looksie here!"

Weapon mender (welder?) should work alright with those. You would need to sort shader maps for GG use but plenty of info on the forums for porting x9 stuff. There's no asymmetric dual wield in GG and blocking is broken/non-functional still but I suppose they're a viable alternative to the ones currently available. Fantasy genre sales for me in classic were abysmal so new media of that genre is pretty low on my current priorities.

Quote: "
You might help me with my (your old) guns! I'm too stupid to get the iron sights aligned properly in GG, the gun always zooms out of frame which is really rustling my jimmies. Anything I miss? what value to I have to mod in what way? "

Sure. You know where to find me. For GG I do some odd tricks with certain weapons (rifles mostly) where I scale the model on x and y axis by about 200-600% during simplezoom anims because the near-clip is much less tolerant than in X9. That might solve some issues. Also you need to increase simplezoommod setting which affects FOV or something to assist with near-clip.

edit: Here's a pretty extreme example of that method....

That's scaled to 600% on X and Y axis and 50% on Z axis for the 3x optic (I scale to 200% X and Y and 100% on Z when using the 1x optic). The Z axis zoom % will vary based on length of optic tube and desired view area. Keeping at 100% Z axis would have made the viewable area too constricted for my taste.

You don't want the geometry any closer than 7 inches from the scene origin. You also need to be aware that headbobble will cause the weapon to shift/pivot slightly so you may need to take a few steps ingame to see the actual alignment. This offset needs to be fixed in-engine to return to zero whenever the player comes to a stop because this is currently a very annoying bug.

Also, the vertical axis is slightly off in GG. I consistently use a simplezoom value of 0.11 to correct this. I also find that if X9 needed a simplezoommod=0 then GG needs simplezoommod=2 to further correct near-clip.

It seems a bit daft but that's the best way I've found to get the look of geometry very close to the camera without nearclip issues like this:

edit 2: Another trick I use, specifically with hologram/electro-dot style sights, is that the dot reticle is on a separate plane of geometry independent from any glass and skinned to a dummy strictly for controlling it.

When zoomed in, I move the dot waaaay far in front of the weapon and scale it up appropriately to seem the right size. This allows the dot to stay centered on target as the gun is moved around and affected by gunlag. Furthermore, in the walking and (to a lesser degree) firing animations, I am correcting the dot's X and Y pos each frame to stay centered at 0,0.

This method gives a nice, realistic hologram feel and a true advantage of optics vs. irons in gameplay. With this method it is much easier to shoot accurately while on the move or to track a moving target and looks a lot more convincing than simply having the dot decaled onto the glass itself.

The technical challenge is with draw order because you have multiple transparent polys on top of one another and the engine needs to know to draw the dot last or else it will be occluded.

You also need to be a bit conservative with gunlag settings or else whipping the gun around too much will cause the dot to be out of bounds of the sight. You can briefly see this issue in the video with the shotgun when going directly from sprint to sight as sprinting offsets the Y position of the model and it takes a couple frames to zero out.

This pic illustrates the concept well. You can see that the model has shifted due to walking animation but the reticle is floated where the shot will hit. Of course, some people are fine with using a 2D overlay crosshair for this but I find that method incredibly cheesy. Plus, this method has a nice side effect that the dot will realistically flare or wash out in bright light. That helps balance it vs. iron sights in multiplayer. It should also be noted that it is illumination mapped to glow in the dark, as it should.
Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2017 17:52 Edited at: 30th Mar 2017 17:53
Ooh yesss. HE'S BACK!
Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2017 07:50
Love the detailed thought you put into your stuff.

Looking Great.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 01:20
Thanks guys! I'll be working on some revolver animations this weekend. Assuming, of course, nothing decides to break. Wasted too much time yesterday getting my dropbox app to work properly and consequently, getting my win. file explorer to stop crashing.

Quote: "Love the detailed thought you put into your stuff."

That's probably most enjoyable part of the process for me. Sort of a curse though.
uzi idiot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 01:38
Wow I've been doing some stuff for x9 again recently and just decided to check out GG and I'm amazed by the work you've done with it.

As for the shaders I've been working on some pbr shaders for X9 that I'm somewhat interested in porting over if that's possible.
Would people be interested in that? how flexible is GG's shader pipeline anyway? I sure hope its more consistent than FPSC's ever was.
If something compiles on the first try. Something is terribly wrong.
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 01:47
Thanks, Uzi! Glad to see you are checking out GG

Your shaders for classic were/are the absolute best... I don't know off hand how flexible GG is but I'm sure it would be welcome. There's hopes that we will get a Dx upgrade at some point and proper PBR but sadly I doubt that will be any time soon. I've had a taste of working with discrete glossiness and reflectivity and it's spoiled me completely.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 04:54
Hey Uzi Idiot. Contact Lee
lee@thegamecreators.com

Ask him how it is set up, He will have the answers.
PBR shaders would be great.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

uzi idiot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 17:10
I've just quickly installed GG and checked out the shaders and content.

the shaders are better organised into uber shaders so it shouldn't be too difficult to change them.
I'll read them over and see if I can sort something out when I get the time.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 17:13
Welcome back uzi!
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 17:37
Excellent.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 17:46
Quote: "Would people be interested in that?"

Just about everybody i think .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 18:06
Quote: "I'll read them over and see if I can sort something out when I get the time."

Very cool... hit me up if I can help out with test files or the like.
uzi idiot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 18:31
Is there a Dark Shader style tool for these shaders? The original one doesn't have all of the hlsl features needed
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 19:12
These gun meshes and textures are absolutely fantastic, and make even a typical ugly gameguru exterior level look kind of like many of the mass produced free2play unreal engine fps games coming out (which if that sounded unclear is better than most GG games look). However, I think the animations could use another pass or 2. I know you had said you don't like to use IK for fps anims (and in my experience, biped IK does NOT like to be made into a .x file) but I think you should sharpen the easing curves for some of the reload anims. as it is, they look a bit generic and the weight of the gun doesn't always look proper. I love your method for aiming down the sights. I might have to try that myself. Anyway wonderful work. I can't wait to buy it!
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2017 21:14 Edited at: 1st Apr 2017 21:32
@uzi - I have no idea about that. Maybe some reading will know.

@Bugsy - Thanks, man. Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah my level design is pretty awful. Nothing like what you or Wolf can pull off... I rage quit before I can get to a thimbleful of the same quality. I'm using an exterior setting primarily because weapons only get noticeably affected by sunlight. When I tested interiors I got no light play on weapons from static or dynamic lights. Heh... even muzzle flash lighting isn't working currently. I suppose we really do need some Uzi Idiot Magicâ„¢.

I was never able to get biped WYSIWYG so I am using a FK bone rig with a bunch of dummies for controlling position, walking, scale, gun parts, etc. Which guns do you think are the most egregious? I know for certain that deagle, mk23, and 1911 need another pass on reloads. They were the first ones done. I'm pretty ok with the M&P and 92F. Those are the most recently done. For the rifle reloads, I think they're shippable but I'm not in love with them. I will say that most have been incrementally sped up over multiple passes and have lost some fidelity in the process. I think the animations I'm most dismayed with are the "end fires" for most everything. I'd like to have a bit more flourish and settle-back but it makes things feel unresponsive. I wish we could specify a frame where click input is reset so that the animation could be interrupted to fire rapidly.

I also wish we could specify delays for brass ejection/instancing so that we could sync timing for manual repeating weapons (pump, lever, and bolt actions). Speaking of brass, I think it may be capped at 15-20 active instances. With high ROF/ high capacity guns brass just seems to stop being spawned before the magazine has been emptied.

There also seems to be a bug where "last fire" animations (for transitioning to empty state anims) aren't being played for most guns. I'm pretty sure it works for the 92 but not others so I've been trying to track it down. Anyways, there are some nice transitions like a quick glance at the chamber after emptying a mag on a rifle. I should also probably mention that the these won't be shipped with the CS-ish chambering selects. This was a test using the 2nd half of "tap-rack" fix jam animation frames slotted into the select field. I wanted to see if it was a feasible alternative to having discrete animations for developer flexibility.

I'm pretty happy with how sighting turned out. I'll be even happier if the hud bobble gets addressed. We also need to be able to specify independent zoomscope overlays for regular and alt mode. I have a vignette overlay for use with the AR when using the magnified optic (to reduce the amount of peripheral lens glare) but it looks daft when also applied when using only the CQC optic. I think the scaling workaround was first done with my GCS sniper rifles but to a lesser degree.

Unrelated but for anyone wondering there will also be another audio pass. Some are shippable as-is but others need some work. I'll be really happy if we could get full-auto playback tied to firerate instead of this idiotic looping system we inherited from v1 FPSC (back when firerate was fixed at 300-ish RPM and faster rates were simulated by looping the sound faster and using iterate). The current system is ok for things with droning firing sound like the chainsaw or how a minigun would be but is completely awful for conventional machine guns. Speaking of iterate, that's also wonky in GG. As it sits, iterate is not simultaneous and is affected by recoil impulse. So, a shotgun with high recoil will pattern upward and a shotgun fired while panning hard left or right will string the pellets out in a horizontal line. Goofy.

OK, I suppose I've complained enough for one day.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2017 00:21 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2017 00:35
EAI wrote: "Yeah my level design is pretty awful. Nothing like what you or Wolf can pull off... I rage quit before I can get to a thimbleful of the same quality. I'm using an exterior setting primarily because weapons only get noticeably affected by sunlight."

Not true, I dont think you spent a lot of time on this area. Ive seen some FPSC firing ranges of yours on youtube that read immediately as a better firing range that I could ever dream of producing. you're also a very talented prop modeller.

341 wrote: "I was never able to get biped WYSIWYG so I am using a FK bone rig with a bunch of dummies for controlling position, walking, scale, gun parts, etc. Which guns do you think are the most egregious? I know for certain that deagle, mk23, and 1911 need another pass on reloads. They were the first ones done. I'm pretty ok with the M&P and 92F. Those are the most recently done."

I do it the same way, thanks to your teachings in my "need help with guns thread" and your old arms! I'd love your critiques sometime. I think most pistols, at very least the reloads need a redo, and the endfire anims need to bob a little bit more, that way, when you stop it looks like your hand bops around more from having just fired a gun. Shotgun is surprising, a shining star, and really nice, like every animset the gun reacts adequately for how much force the hands apply to it, but then the rifles...

#1apbfan wrote: " I will say that most have been incrementally sped up over multiple passes and have lost some fidelity in the process."

...likely due to this, seem like they have no weight to them, and that they bounce around too much for the little force applied to them. they also assemble their pose too quick and stay too steady (can you hold your hand that still with a few dozen pounds of plastic and metal on it?). I think you could take some inspiration paying close attention to slow mo renders from mr. brightside or hyper and take the time polishing up these rifles and pistols to sell a lot more modelpacks for you. I think in general there needs to be some more off axis tilt and "human error" to match the unmatched realism of the guns and hands, but I'm just nitpicking.

Basically, I think all the aimto and aimfrom anims need a smoothening, as I dislike how the gun seems to twitch. I absolutely love the shotguns already, but the rifles look much too fast and light when reloading. To be honest the gun meshes and textures look beyond most anything in any game, hands too, but the anims set the quality back down a peg. You also did a good job on some anims, (apply silencer) and not on others (pistol/rifle reloads). Somehow I know with you being you, I will absolutely love the animations on these by the time I buy them (like the TF341 crew) but I also noticed a lot of "take my money" in this thread so I wanted to drag your attention to these things so I'm not begging you for max files to animate myself when this comes out

TL;DR
Model Pack 9 wrote: "(on the phone) Can I have my animations back?"
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2017 13:59
@Bugsy

Thanks for all of the thoughtful feedback. It's very valuable at this stage because as I progress and anim sets get entrenched across multiple weapons I get much more inclined to toss on my "Deal With It" shades. Nothing worse than getting valid feedback after a pack has been shipped! One of the great benefits of putting this video up is that I've been able to watch it a couple dozen times and really give things a good look without the distraction of actually using the weapons ingame. I suppose that's why competitive athletes video record themselves then analyse their form to improve their performance.

I've got several ideas for improvements and will be working on them this week. I'm also going to see what I can do about tweaking curves here and there. To be truthful, I've never used the curve editor so this gives me a good opportunity to learn something I should already know.

I suppose what I was trying to convey with some of the bounce is follow-through of applied force and clearly that is not what is coming across and needs to be addressed. Good stuff in those videos but mostly those videos just make me really jealous that we don't have animation control over camera movement... what looks fine under that method (like glancing around or using it to help demonstrate weight shift) tends to look goofy if excessively tilting things around in-frame in attempt to simulate that effect. I had originally considered having two mags in frame for tac reloads but I sort of cheaped out because of the extra polys and rigging. I now recognize was a mistake because it looks so much more legit... so, challenge accepted for that bit.

Thanks again for the honest feedback and I encourage any and all constructive crit at this stage. I honestly get a little ashamed looking back at old FPSC animations and wish I had received better guidance and been more willing to accept the crits that I did get. I'm hoping to limit the post-release regret this time around. Still, I am, in many ways happy with what I have accomplished so far. I figure that my overall arc is not so bad for someone who has never had any formal training in modeling, texturing or animation. As long as I can continue to improve my skillset I will be a happy camper.

BTW, I fully expect you to ask for files and that's fine. I already feel sad seeing you slumming it with my old rig but I'm not yet ready to update you. Also, I haven't played APB in years now.. miss it though... They just refused to address core issues and kept postponing important engine updates in favor of shoveling out cruddy vanity assets. Hmm... sounds familiar I suppose.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2017 14:16
The main Problem with those assets is honestly that they don'T download, no matter how many times I press my VISA agaisnt the scren and type the security code in my keyboard furiously.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Apr 2017 14:43
I can give you a link to help you with that Ertlov, all you have to do is enter your details and i will handle the transfer for you, no need to waste tie entering an amount, i'll even do that for you

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 16:49
I'm in love with being able to switch the firemodes like this!

...and since we are all wanking on a highly sophisticated level here, with all of this being lightyears beyond my own abilities...allow me to point out that. Well, when I reload a handgung I let the magazine slide into my hand, stop for a second, put it away and then insert the new one. I rarely have it swoop out and the other one in flawlessly. It fould feel really lifelike if this would happen. ...I don't want you to do this though as I find most of these perfect apart from the rifle weight thing I mentioned (especially with the AKM as that is a heavier gun than these AR's)... and yes! I'm also the guy at formal parties that just blurts his opinion into other peoples conversations.

Are we not going to talk about how great these melee weapons are despite how little features GG has for these? Those where a but weak in your former work as the attacks tended to be very slow.

Quote: "out cruddy vanity assets."

Remember the jetpack Oh! You where being subtle.

-Wolf
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 17:32 Edited at: 4th Apr 2017 17:53
Quote: "I can give you a link to help you with that Ertlov, all you have to do is enter your details and i will handle the transfer for you, no need to waste tie entering an amount, i'll even do that for you"

IT'S A TRAP

@Wolf

Quote: "Well, when I reload a handgung I let the magazine slide into my hand, stop for a second, put it away and then insert the new one. I rarely have it swoop out and the other one in flawlessly."

Part of it is gameplay balance, I suppose. I generally disliked how slow my old reloads were and seeing how the assets mostly proliferated through Unity MP games (not so much a great number of dev. uses but the greater number of player uses). My goal was to make these more viable for that genre ( I was initially really optimistic about MP in GG but alas, it is awful). As such, I've attempted to err on the side of speed in most all cases. So, adding a second while the player character fishes out a magazine simply isn't an option. The thing that I think tripped me up though is that I have a bias of dropping mags on the ground since they don't spawn in the world. Also, I have most ammo spawning as loose rounds as opposed to being contained in loaded mags. I suppose that comes a bit from playing a lot of survival games the past years where the player does not discard empty mags and must reload them from inventory. Basically, I overthought the gameplay mechanics of reloading and the animations suffered as a result. Moving forward, I think that I should be more willing to drop mags if it looks better.

Quote: "Are we not going to talk about how great these melee weapons are despite how little features GG has for these? Those where a but weak in your former work as the attacks tended to be very slow. "

Weak or week?

If "week", then yeah, by comparison. For GG then near literally. If "weak" Then I agree if talking about MP9/10 but I thought ther GCS ones were on par with my other work at the time. Generally, I would say they were overall faster than what I was seeing from other FPSC artists at the time.

Melee weapons are super simple for me to complete and I think I have most of the base archetypes covered now (slow/medium/fast/one-handed/2-handed/etc) so it should be simple to swap meshes and tweak stats for balance. The weapons themselves, for the most part are MUCH quicker to model and MUCH, MUCH simpler to create lowpoly world models for (something I procrastinate on with guns because the reduction is a hassle). I also have a lot more animation freedom now because the arms go up to the shoulder instead of stopping just shy of the elbow like on my classic rig.

I do agree the melee system could be more robust but something I actually really do like in GG is that we are able to specify a separate force value. That is why the melee weapons use a low-damage/high-force shoving attack for "melee key" attacks. It's useful for moving around dynamic objects and in a perfect world, scripts would be able to detect being hit this way and trigger a stumble-back anim in enemies or something similarly advantageous. In more advanced systems, I also sort of envision force damage from blunt melee blows inflicting stamina damage more-so than direct, hitpoint damage.

Some of the weapons still strike slowly but there is more deliberate design balance between weapons this time around. I've also standardized attack animation length for any given weapon so that randomized attack anims are purely visual. On my old weapons, some anims would be longer than others and the damage point was not consistent which ultimately proved to be frustrating to players. I wanted to avoid that.

Quote: "Oh! You where being subtle."

I tried to use tiny sized forum text. Forums:1 EAI:0
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2017 17:59
Wolf wrote: "But seriously! You're a damn artist and you know it!"
Dammit!
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
Pain
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Ertlov haha you are also having that problem?

@ Errant AI - NO you are not actually an artist. You sir are a Wizard. The new weapons are literally top quality from what I saw. I have also been caught by my wife sitting here throwing my wallet at my screen hoping that its accepted and I magically have a download link to the weapons. She said I am like a lost puppy or a kid waiting for Christmas to come back around.

I also have some of your past work and it is always top notch. I never once thought your work needed more work. Great work here! If you need any assistance with computer trouble or software trouble shooting, I will admit that is how I pay the bills. I would be happy to provide any assistance.

Keep on making history,

PAIN!

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2017 09:50
@Pain - Thanks for the laugh

So, I had a dream that I was sat down in a theater to watch Star Wars ep.8... I should have been happy but it was awkward because my ex was in the row behind me and I could feel her giving me side-eye.

Just as the movie was beginning, the place was lit up by audience members wearing these super bright headlamp things. Apparently, there were about a dozen deaf people scattered around and they had decided it was a good time for a conversation. It seemed pretty rude but I didn't want to say anything incase it was an emergency or something. Unfortunately, one of them was sitting right next to me and was signing to someone about 10 rows ahead of me. I couldn't see the screen at all because I was blinded by this very intense light.

It was at this time I looked down to see that I had received a text notification...
Someone had posted in my thread but the preview only read something like, "!!???!?!?!?!!".
Believe it or not, I somehow interpreted this to signify pain. I awoke to find your post and it's freakin' me out a little bit.
Pain
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Errant AI - Strange indeed. In this dream after you found me did it also include you providing pain a download link? I was sure that was part of the dream and you may have just forgotten to type that.

Joking aside, that is pretty strange. I have not had a dream in a long time so I have no connection here with that dream from my dreams. I think we should investigate this further. Maybe there is something that you are missing in your life?

PAIN!
Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2017 10:43 Edited at: 8th Apr 2017 10:48
Quick Vid of new tac-reload animation for ARs.

Needs polish but this is the basic idea of it. I think it's a bit more interesting than the ol' in-n-out while not being overtly flashy. Here is the video I used for general reference. Oddly enough, I think I only recorded empty reloads in the previous vid. The tac reloads were more or less the same but without bolt catch manipulation.

Tac reload used to be a bit over 1 sec. and is now 3 sec. Emergency/Empty reload will remain at around 2 sec (it will be altered though from what was previously shown). This is a bit more realistic while serving to increase the risk/reward aspect of topping up ammo proactively. I used to have the mindset that tac-reloads should reward the player with a faster reload than running the gun dry before reloading. However, that was a bit backwards as having a topped-up mag is its own reward.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Apr 2017 19:13
Those weapons are fantastic and are literally the best weapons I've seen across these threads. Heck they're AAA quality! Well done Errant, your skills have evolved amazingly!

Now.....

Youtube.com/c/Landmanhd1080p - LandmanHD Youtube Gaming Channel | chrislandman.mypixelbox.net - My Design Portfolio | Artrift.com - Digital Art Community
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2017 22:22
@Landman - Thanks

OK here is another tac-reload revision pass. Happy enough with it to move on to sprucing up the empty reload now.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 02:11
@Bugsy:
Quote: "that read immediately as a better firing range"

Can you stop with the "read as" mumbo jumbo? You only use it as an excuse to go low res on stuff (which is something where I'm not sure if you're sometimes just doing it to mess with me.). Well it still reads like bla bla bla. Lemme tell you something you limp tailed molerat: Grass textures back in the 90s still read as grass textures... and no one wants to see them ever again! Since when are we all up in here talkin' all 3d developery anyway? Don't make me invert your intestinal vertices. You are just jealous of my clearly superior animating skills...and clearly psychotic obsession to retexture everything. One of these statements was not in jest. Can you guess which one? Can you find Waldo? How did Waldo never get beat the stripes off his socks for dressing like that in public?

@Errant AI:
Quote: "Part of it is gameplay balance, I suppose. I generally disliked how slow my old reloads were and seeing how the assets mostly proliferated through Unity MP games (not so much a great number of dev. uses but the greater number of player uses). My goal was to make these more viable for that genre ( I was initially really optimistic about MP in GG but alas, it is awful). "

Alright, okay, fine. You are selling these and you are making a business decision based on what previous sales have shown you.
I already had this discussion with Bugsy "Readable" Bizurker a bunch of times so I keep this short and spicy.
Unity is the mid-level, mid prize, mid twenties prostitute of game engines. It can do most things well, is easy to get behind and has zero personality. Plus there are way too many people using it and most of them aren't pleasant. (Unlike me, I'm spiffing!...obviously) GG on the other hand is like that cute trailer park lass that sells herself short, makes tons of bad decisions and doesn't look too hot unless you take the time to see her inner beauty. Can you stay with us in the trailer and not cater to the unity people. I have a completely illogical and unjustified dislike of them and want you people to agree with me!
Multiplayer games are likely never going to be that much of a thing in GG. Not a fan any way. Especially not Counter Strike, amirite Bugsy? I did have some fun with y'all in the GITS game though.

Animations. Suffice it to say that I have always been a fan of immersive gaming. I just love it when reloading a gun takes just as long as it does to reload its real life counterpart. I like it when there is a sound that suggest "grabbing" something from a pouche. Those handful of games that go the extra mile to actually drop the discarded magazine on the ground can all line up for a big, smelly wolfy hug. Seriously, why do so few games do that??

Quote: " The thing that I think tripped me up though is that I have a bias of dropping mags on the ground since they don't spawn in the world."

Barely any games do that.( I remember adding a sound to simulate that for the "Thanatophobia" mini game I did once. ) If you'd add a chunky sound to suggest a mag landing on screen I'd just be 100% on board with that.

Quote: " So, adding a second while the player character fishes out a magazine simply isn't an option."

Just look into your soul. You know there is! If more people in gaming would add that extra second to reload animations, we could solve all the worlds problems in just one death match.

Quote: "Weak or week? "

English is my fourth language thus I am infalible, infailable? ..infallible? Ladeedadeedlaada. ...the red lion will take you all!...

Quote: "lowpoly world models for (something"

you are talking to the man who once actually used the "2nd amendment" gun font in a text to 3d generator for just that. I'm sure you'll deliver something vastly superior...and not one of my proudest moments.

New Animations: As someone who was once mesmerized for an entire evening watching weapon reload animations on youtube (cue joke about rattling with a key here, you unoriginal barbarian) I have sufficient expertise to say that I love it. Allow me to just mention here that I have noticed many kids joke about shoulder pouch reloads to look like the player takes the magazine out of his mouth. Perhaps this is something you might consider.

Jupp! My job here is done. I assume you are all bedazzled and amazed that you had the time to read my thoughts on this topic here in your lifetime. I shall now go to bed. All of you who have been reading through all this wondering "is Wolf drunk" shall know that I am indeed not which you can tell by the lack of pictures of corgis with cute party hats in this post. I'm just of the opinion that this weapon pack is so awesome (and I do mean to use this word as I know pretty much the entire lowpoly-gameready 3d model store world) that all feedback is like critisizing Connie Carters body. Wholly unnecessary and quite possible blasphemy.

-Wolf

Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 02:59
I did read to the end, Wolf, and it seems you have gone Don Rickles on us. And Mr. Warmth always ends his tirades on a positive and beautiful note . . . and you came very close.
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 03:03 Edited at: 9th Apr 2017 03:41
These reloads looks 4x better than the last, however it looks like you are doing gun tilt/bob by moving hands (is there some IK there?), when I think it would look smoother and be easier if you did more of the tilt/bob by adjusting the root helper (If I'm mistaken here, than I will stand corrected). Bottom line I think this is much nicer and could just use a little more end-reposition jostle downforce IMO. maybe just go over what you have tilting the root helper a little bit, and shaking it a bit when there is a collision or a shift of movement.

@wolf- In my short few months of college, I heard the "reads as/readable" [mod edit- plz for the sake of the chillins] a lot, so I just use it, and hopefully other high brow artist mumbo jumbo when you start whining about one texture being slightly lower resolution than another texture and how its going to ruin my game like 2007 ruined brittany spears

that being said, I'm probably being too whiny about your animations EAI, they all read as exactly what they are already.
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 05:18 Edited at: 10th Apr 2017 07:47
@Wolf
Quote: "Unity is the mid-level, mid prize, mid twenties prostitute of game engines. It can do most things well, is easy to get behind and has zero personality. Plus there are way too many people using it and most of them aren't pleasant. (Unlike me, I'm spiffing!...obviously) GG on the other hand is like that cute trailer park lass that sells herself short, makes tons of bad decisions and doesn't look too hot unless you take the time to see her inner beauty. Can you stay with us in the trailer and not cater to the unity people."

Now I wanna know what you think of UE! No worries, I'll be slummin' it (as Locrian used to say) for a while longer. Call it misplaced loyalty or Stockholm syndrome or general laziness.

Quote: "Multiplayer games are likely never going to be that much of a thing in GG. Not a fan any way. "

Multiplayer is like bitter, leafy vegetables. You may not like it but it's good for you. Because MP is such a stripped down experience, it requires attention to the basics. From an engine standpoint, this means consistently high FPS, fast level loading, sophisticated directional audio system, detailed combat support (think tracers, cooking grenades, bullet holes, particle debris, volumetric explosions, legit destructibles, 3rd person brass and muzzleflashes, et., etc.). All of those things then serve to improve the gameplay experience in your preferred single player games. It would have allowed basic users to make genuinely fun games without needing to dive deeply into scripting, voice acting, story writing, etc. and for those wanting to develop more intricate experiences they would be starting from a stronger foundation.

Quote: "infalible, infailable? ..infallible?"

I believe the word you are looking for is "inflatable". Mhm.

Quote: "the player takes the magazine out of his mouth."

That's all I see now... Thanks.... Gonna have to tweak that a bit.

@Bugsy
Quote: "
These reloads looks 4x better than the last, however it looks like you are doing gun tilt/bob by moving hands (is there some IK there?), when I think it would look smoother and be easier if you did more of the tilt/bob by adjusting the root helper (If I'm mistaken here, than I will stand corrected)."

The arms are children of the root helpers (There are 3 different ones now. The usual one plus one dedicated to walking bobble and a third strictly for correcting height variations in iron sight alignment). Most of the wobble and tilt movement is already coming from the root although there is some from the arms. I think that additional root movement would just read as more unnecessary arm movement (this is where it would be nice if we had control over game camera motion). I probably won't mess with the settle further (at least, not today. Tomorrow is anyone's guess). As it is, I already clipped five frames of the end from the first revision. It looked more natural on its own but less natural under practical use when going straight from reload to movement. In an ideal world, we would be able to specify a minimum transition frame then allow blending beyond that point for more natural motion across different scenarios. BTW, no IK... schlepping it with FK only still.

I agree it looks overall better and honestly wouldn't have bothered if not for being pushed. So, thank you for that

Edit:
Tweaked a few bits and polished it up. I'm satisfied with it enough to move on to other anims. Probably one of the more difficult (or maybe just annoying) reloads I've done so far. I was initially worried about there being visual artifacts with teleporting magazines around but it seemed to have worked out alright. I'll loop back around to redo audio once I've completed the full anim set pass.

I'll be taking a break from weapons for a chunk of this week. Got some unrelated stuff to take care of.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
I always keep my spare ammo in my mouth... I'm doing it wrong?
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 11:43
Quote: "I always keep my spare ammo in my mouth... I'm doing it wrong?"

Nah. You're all good.

Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 15:27
Errant AI.....I bow in front of such beauty ... you're my idol
I have visited your site and I was impressed
would you be able to create medieval weapons?
(forgive my bad english)
The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.......maybe blender
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 19:41
@Bugsy: Haha! To be honest, I find your look all good since I got you to power through the GG emissive map fiasco
We are very different artists and that makes our stuff interesting. There is a lot that overlaps and a lot that is way completely unalike.

@ErrantAI:
Quote: " Call it misplaced loyalty or Stockholm syndrome or general laziness."

Its Stockholm Syndrome...lets not sugarcoat anything here. But for what its worth! you are doing me a huge personal favour with making these.

Quote: "I believe the word you are looking for is "inflatable". Mhm."

Yiss!! Thank you! I'll PM you a set of high-res images of my inflatable body parts. ...with party hats.

New reload is perfect. Love the little detail with the swigglin scope attachment. (that magnifier is such a good idea!! Why is this such a new concept?! Argh!)

@Bisella: Click here.

-Wolf

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 21:12 Edited at: 10th Apr 2017 21:13
@Wolf

Quote: "Love the little detail with the swigglin scope attachment. (that magnifier is such a good idea!! Why is this such a new concept?! Argh!"

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. It's pretty subtle but adds a nice touch. I've since changed the posture of the left arm a bit at idle position. The thumb position was bugging me.

Rear seated magnifiers like that have been around quite a while. Aimpoint had the quick-detach kind since 2004 and Eotech came out with the flip to side style a couple years later. They just weren't so practical to do in FPSC but GG handles the added geometry and alpha sorting well enough and does it with less draw calls. Makes me wish that we had more ways to do multiple fire-modes. It works fine with AR-15 since it's semi-only but would be cool to have variable mode optics on select fire weapons as well. I suppose that's where weapon scripting would come in handy.

@Bisella

The link Wolf posted is for my old FPSC medieval weapons. They can be ported to GG but they won't be as functional as they were in FPSC. GG is still quite limited when it comes to melee weapon functionality if using the standard weapon system. There may be more that can be done by using the HUD layer (jetpack) system and some clever scripting but I haven't looked into it. My current plan is for contemporary weapons followed by sci-fi genre. It will likely be more than a year before I mess with anything fantasy related but perhaps GG will have evolved to better handle melee combat by then.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 22:53 Edited at: 10th Apr 2017 22:54
OMFG::::

Quote: "Multiplayer is like bitter, leafy vegetables. You may not like it but it's good for you. Because MP is such a stripped down experience, it requires attention to the basics. From an engine standpoint, this means consistently high FPS, fast level loading, sophisticated directional audio system, detailed combat support (think tracers, cooking grenades, bullet holes, particle debris, volumetric explosions, legit destructibles, 3rd person brass and muzzleflashes, et., etc.). All of those things then serve to improve the gameplay experience in your preferred single player games. It would have allowed basic users to make genuinely fun games without needing to dive deeply into scripting, voice acting, story writing, etc. and for those wanting to develop more intricate experiences they would be starting from a stronger foundation."

again for the people in the back.

more importantly: REVISION 3 IS WHERE IT'S AT. you really just needed to go over it a bit more. It is indeed the most delirious biznasty that this forum has experienced to me now. 100% Inflatable

now show me the empty reload
Bisella
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2017 07:28
@Wolf ---> Thanks
@Errant AI ---> beautiful weapon

i will remain in waiting for GG melee improvements

I wanted to create a game like this http://hellraid.com/ maybe I'm exaggerating?

forgive my english

The software I use? ... Autocad, sketchup, Spazio3D, pconplanner, Kerkythea, wings3d, paint.net, torque3d, AxixGameFactory, PD particles.......maybe blender
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2017 15:31 Edited at: 11th Apr 2017 15:34
Quote: "I always keep my spare ammo in my mouth... I'm doing it wrong?"

Quote: "Nah. You're all good."

https://9gag.com/gag/aXq7oO2
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:10:47
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:10:47