3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Unfamillia's Model WIP

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2014 23:31 Edited at: 16th Apr 2014 23:31
So, I am working on a few models in between recording the tutorials. I realised that I was spending too much time recording, rendering, editing and uploading the tutorial videos and not enough time on my own models!

I have made a start on my Sci Fi Models. I chose to start with an unmanned turret! It will be animated and as long as I can get it scripted properly, it should be able to turn and face the player, then attack. The next model will a console that can be used to control the turret, turning it into an ally.

This model is WIP currently and only has an ambient occlusion map applied.

All of these models will be available (once finished) in the store.

Cheers

Jay.

Super Clark
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 16:05
This is very nice Jay, this is the type of stuff I wish to make

as it is complex different forms' would be great if you could

when you get time to make a TuT for these formats.

Thanks...

Tony
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 00:23
@Super Clark

Firstly, glad you managed to get your model working in the end. Modelling always takes a bit fiddling to get everything working the way you want it.

I do plan on making a tutorial for this sort of stuff, I just really wanted to get
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 18:35
Very nice work

I agree that yellow/orange would be perfect for this model. You could always sell it with both textures and let the end user choose.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 3GB

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 23:01
@E30Legend

I decided to retexture it (wasn't overly happy with the final texture in Reloaded)

So, while I was doing that, I decided to make 5 colour variations.

Here is the render of the yellow version. I really like how this one came out.
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 09:23
Spot on now, nice details as well.

Do you use PS for all your texturing?

Laptop - Windows 7 32Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, 4GB Ram, 500Gb WD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 10:38
Quote: "Spot on now, nice details as well"

Thanks!

Quote: "Do you use PS for all your texturing?"

I use a number of things to get the textures that I like. I primarily use GIMP, but, I also use PS and Blender. It depends what result I am trying to achieve (and how I am feeling at that moment in time)

Cheers

Jay.

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 18:56
@unfamillia

Just a heads up, I am not doing any store approvals at the moment as that is done by another TGC staff member. However you won't be allowed the white border and logo you have put on your thumbnails so suggest you change them before approv
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 19:29 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 19:31
@The Next

Thanks for the heads up. I have amended the thumbnail images, but, can't seem to change them in the store.

[b]EDIT - just to avoid a 'back and too' between us. I tried to upload them by clicking the button that says 'Choose file', the
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 20:03
@unfamillia

"SciFi Turret - Black" has changed there is an issue at the moment where the images don't update. If you refresh a few times it will show the new image but if you upload again they will work just not show right away. Hope that makes sense
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 23:56
I won't be selling these models in the Reloaded store.

They have been rejected by store admin as the texture isn't good enough.

I will continue to make the models and show them here. I will be selling them on other sites such TurboSquid and my own personal site, so, if you are interested, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Jay.

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 00:12
@unfamillia

I don't think it was because the texture wasn't good enough I looked at your model when it was on approval and it was nice The issue was that there were visible lines that didn't quite match up around the model, that was the only gripe
PM
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They have been rejected by store admin as the texture isn't good enough"

I hope not.... I happen to think the texture looks great.

@The Next

Not trying to change the subject or highjack Jay's thread but,

Quote: "The issue was that there were visible lines that didn't quite match up around the model, that was the only gripe Chris had."

And why is it that you seem to know this but the actual artist does not?

Makes me hesitant to even consider trying to sell anything in the reloaded store, if that is the kind of service the artists are to expect. A detailed list of all needed change should have been given. You all seem to be very short on info lately,

A long while back, I was asked by Rick to start selling in the store, I have never done it before so I asked to be sent some more info on it. All I was sent was a contract. I read it and put it aside and waited for more info. I NEVER got any. So we are to sign a contract "BEFORE" we get any info? I few weeks ago I was asked again by Rick, yet still no info.... yes I know I could have emailed just about anyone at tgc with my issue but you see "YOU" (tcg) asked "ME". Why should I have to play email tag to get an answer? You (tgc) need to treat the ALL the artists with a little more respect. The way I see it "WE" the artist are doing "YOU" the TGC a favor by selling in your store in the first place since there are many other places to sell

absolutely no offense intended to anyone, just stating the facts the way I see it. rant over, I'll go back to building the truck now

@ unfamillia

sorry about your thread... beautiful turret though
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 06:35 Edited at: 24th Apr 2014 06:38
Wow, what a major diss, unfamiliar! I think the model looks great! I had only one question that I was gonna ask the other day: does it kill replicators? If so, I'll buy it, although I'm sure on Turbo Squid you'll be asking 100X the price here, right? Oh well, the market is what it is! Good luck! LOL! Although I'm certainly not worthy of even posting a model of a wooden palette in anybody's store, it kinda bums me out that they shot down your work. It's really good!

MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 8.1/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 10:09
Upon reflection and having a good sleep, I am less irritated by the whole situation now and able to look on with non judgemental views.

Am I displeased and upset by the whole situation? Yes I am. Does this mean I should pout and spit my dummy out? No it doesn't.

As artists, no matter what site or store we use, we will have to jump through hundreds of hoops in order to get our media out to the good people that need it. As far as stores go, TGC is a relatively easy store to use and the percentage split is very fair.

I was a little perturbed as I felt like my model was refused or not authorised due to personal opinion rather than actual fact.

Now, this may be the case; however, this has spurred me on to make the model even better! I am deleting the texture, scrapping the UV map and getting back to the model itself.

I am going to add more detail. More vents, more screws (I didn't have any before) more piping and wires and then, I am going to make the best texture I can possibly muster. THEN, hope and pray that it meets the needed requirements to get into the TGC store.

I must say one thing though. While annoying me that my model was refused on the basis of a poor texture (opinion) it fills me joy to think that the quality of the models in the store in the future will be incredible!

Ok, Rant over.

Chris and The Next, apologies if you found my tongue to be sharp or offensive. Not my intention.

Cheers

Jay.

EVERYONE - Lets get back to making awesome models!!

The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 12:38 Edited at: 24th Apr 2014 12:41
Quote: "And why is it that you seem to know this but the actual artist does not? "

There was an email sent out to unfamillia with exactly that information on it, and it is shown to the artist and admins at the base of the item details page for reference. That is how I knew about it I hadn't even talked to Chris

Quote: "Chris and The Next, apologies if you found my tongue to be sharp or offensive. Not my intention."

No Problem

Just to clear up with everyone we never knock anyone's work! We try to help them improve them to get more sales. As the number of submitted items is high and will only grow, we use automated messages most of the time to give this feedback and they may come across impersonal, but that is the only way we can get to everyone Hope that makes sense. If we need to give extra help any artist can reply to an automated email and get help from Chris.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
PM
henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 09:44
im glad to hear you are still going to make models for the store mate,as it would be a shame for people to miss out on your models.

if it makes you feel any better i have had some of my work rejected as well so your not the only one .

i find there are always issues when starting out modeling for a new engine,most are simple problems that are easily solved when you get to know your way round the new software.

one issue im struggling with is the shaders leaving artifacts on the texture when on the highest quality setting ,but im sure i will find a way round it in the end.

cheers henry

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 09:50
Thanks mate.

Yeah, as soon as I picked all my toys up, put them back in the pram and put my dummy back in, I realised that I wasn't behaving like the adult that I am! Had a quiet word with myself in the corner and came back with a fresh perspective.

I am glad it happened, as it has given me a chance to add everything I truly wanted to in the first place. Plus, I have been speaking with another forum member who is going to take a look at scripting it for me, so it does actually behave like a turret should. (aim at people and make them not be there any more)

Cheers

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 12:09
I've been asked if I could make a some models by a few members to sell in the store.

To be honest, I'm nowhere near the standard that you guys are at and you're getting work rejected ! I think it will be a long time before anyone sees models from me in the store.

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 12:29
E30Legend,

You will be fine selling your models. You don't get a WIP Model thread going hot if your models aren't any good!

The only reason I had issues is because the bar has been raised to be able to sell things and there were a couple of minor tweaks that the models needed, before they could be allowed in. This made me look at the models in a different light and decide to change the texture completely!

Chris and the other Store admin team are very nice and they do tell you what needs changing and how to change it.

Just get a model complete and have a go at uploading it to the store.

One point for your models is to just monitor the poly count. I know your models are a little high. Other than that, you are turning out to be a great 3D artist!

Cheers

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 15:45
Thanks Jay.

I'm working on lowering the poly count at the moment, I guess it really comes down to experience and I have a long way to go yet.

Like you I try and make a model better than I did the time before. I look at my models now and some of them are truly shocking but that's how we learn, right?

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work your a great asset to this forum.

/sorry for hijacking your thread.

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 16:16 Edited at: 25th Apr 2014 16:26
Quote: "that's how we learn, right? "

Exactly! We can only learn from our mistakes.

Quote: "your a great asset to this forum."

Thank you. That's a lovely thing to hear! Thanks.

Quote: "/sorry for hijacking your thread."

haha, no worries mate. The more the merrier.

@Jerry Tremble

Sorry, I was in too much of a 'teenage paddy' to actually read anyone's comments properly. (strange as I am 30!)

I honestly don't know what a Replicator is. I Googled it and the results were for either a 3D printer, a strange thing from Stargate or something from Star Trek used to produce food.

I will be selling these in the store once I have completed it and it meets the admins standards.

Cheers

Jay.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2014 16:34
Quote: "Sorry, I was in too much of a 'teenage paddy' to actually read anyone's comments properly"

made me lol

good to see your man enough to admit it we all get like that sometimes

cheers henry

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 11:38
Well, its official, I actually managed to get something into the store! haha.

Its only something small, but, it might come in handy for some peoples projects.

http://tgcstore.net/en/?md=view&oid=17738

Cheers

Jay.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 13:20
I actually don't mind receiving the rejection notice from the store... as it always comes with some great feedback to better improve the models.

So I wouldn't take it personally.

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 13:24
I did take it very personally at first. But, after I had a serious word with myself and rejoined the adult world, I managed to look at it as a positive.

Plus, Chris made the whole situation easy to deal with and managed to look past my little strop.

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 14:08
No chris is super cool and polite, quickly told me fix up that vert or align that a little.Don't worry I also got some stuff rejected, just keep at it and fix, I will spend half a day now to make sure every little corner of a model is mapped as best possible.

With chris around and his patience, you should have no problem. BTW chris you are awesome even if you are fond of your rejection stamp
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 14:12
Absolutely! I have said it before on another thread, These rejections will help us grow as artists and teach us to be more thorough with our work.

Chris should get a pay rise. I am starting a campaign. Lee, if you see this, give your brother more money.

henry ham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 21:15
Quote: "Well, its official, I actually managed to get something into the store! haha"

congrats mate

cheers henry

RustyNuts
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 23:03
Quote: "I am going to add more detail. More vents, more screws (I didn't have any before) more piping and wires and then, I am going to make the best texture I can possibly muster. THEN, hope and pray that it meets the needed requirements to get into the TGC store. "

Well all I can say is I thought it looked amazing before you decided to up date it, and if you put all those things on it then it will look Mindblowing!!!!! I will deffo by this one as it will work fantastic in my game can't wait....

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 09:42
You will be happy to know that I have amended the texture, it looks better than it did, there are now wires and bolts and another forum member is going through the script to get it animated. When that is finished, this bad boy (and 5 other colour variants) will be in the store.

Cheers

Jay.

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2014 22:44 Edited at: 25th Jun 2014 22:57
I have uploaded a few new items to the store. I am going for a SciFi theme with my future models. I wish to create a whole truck load of entities that the player can populate their levels with.

Here a few items that have been uploaded.

SciFi Crate (Yellow)

SciFi Light - Animated

SciFi Turret (Black)

However, I have had news that unfortunately my SciFi light has been causing issues with one forum member. I would really like to get to the bottom of the issue as I want all of my media to be problem free. If you have purchased my SciFi Light and have issues with it, please either comment here or mail me directly.

I hope everyone likes the new additions.

Cheers

Jay.

EDIT - On further thought, I would like someone to test this light issue for me. I will give this light to one person to test for me. So, if you are interested in putting this through its paces, please comment below and I will email you the zip file. I would need feedback as soon as possible, as I would like to get this sorted and get back to concentrating on my competition level!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the look of them....Gonna buy some now
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 00:50
Wait, before you do. I will send you the SciFi Light if you want to test it for me?

You interested?

Cheers

Jay.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wait, before you do. I will send you the SciFi Light if you want to test it for me? "

To Late ...Bought a red and green and love them
I would be happy to test the light for you mate
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 01:00
Oh, thats fine. You can buy as many of those as you want. I just wanted you to test the light for me. I have just remembered anyway, that it has been pulled from the store. I would be really interested in speaking with whoever purchased it and complained, not to have a pop or question them; I just really want to know how it didn't work

Whats the best email address to send it over to?

Obviously, you can keep the model and use it in your future projects if you wish, but, please do not distribute it or claim it as your own work.

Cheers

Jay.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Jay...Was gonna buy them all anyway but only had 140 points ...I have just topped up though and its processing
Love to test it you can email it to synchromesh@blueyonder.co.uk

Im up for a while and I can test it straight away
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 01:10
email sent.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 01:46 Edited at: 26th Jun 2014 01:51
Jay the light is awesome !!!

Copied the script over...placed it ingame

Once ingame the light is retracted....as you approach " Press E to activate " ....Up it comes .....

That changes to " press E to Deactivate "....Down it goes

The only thing I did notice was if you set the sky to dark and bring all the ambience and colours down to dark then it still works but there is no light as it all goes grey..

But m guessing that's the way Reloaded works at the moment..

However...If you shine the torch on it it lights up and glows... looks really effective....I wonder if you could combine that torch effect somehow ?
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 01:55
That's strange. I am still waiting on feedback from the store admin to hopefully shed more light on why it wasn't working in the store.

Quote: "The only thing I did notice was if you set the sky to dark and bring all the ambience and colours down to dark then it still works but there is no light as it all goes grey..
But m guessing that's the way Reloaded works at the moment..
"

I did want to use the illumination shader, but, unfortunately, there is currently no way of masking off areas of models to help them glow, without illuminating the rest of the model. This will come in time I am sure. The model is set up for it as it does actually have the illumination map within the zip file.

Thanks for testing it and glad you like it.

Cheers

Jay.

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 02:03
I didn't get a chance to buy it m8 before it was taken down but from what i can tell if its the same as the animated box it does not put the script file in the script folder so the animation wouldn't work unless you looked in the folder and copied it over as synchromesh done and i with your box.

Im sure that's what it was could be wrong of course

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
Spotaru
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope you get the illumination working correctly It looks awesome.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 02:09 Edited at: 26th Jun 2014 02:13
You could make a static one for us so we could put a few lights around it ?

The pic below looks quite effective ..

Also it might help to put the info about the script with the description on the store ?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 02:13
I believe this is reloaded as i cant get any normal illumination to work unless there is a light over it perhaps lee will let us know what's going on :/

PC SPECS: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7 (PASSMARK 9529) 4GHz CPU, Asus R9 3GB GPU (PASSMARK 6858) 32GB DDR3 MEM (PASSMARK 2842)
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I believe this is reloaded as i cant get any normal illumination to work unless there is a light over it perhaps lee will let us know what's going on :/"

Is there no way to add a default reloaded light script to it so once the anim finishes it looks like it switches on ?
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 10:06
Once the new build is released, we will be getting back an AWESOME feature of classic that I have missed soooooo badly!

.....ifused.....

That's it....that's the feature! Such a simple feature, but, so powerful.

You place a dynamic light and set the default script to 'light off - activate when used' (that script doesn't exist yet, but, I imagine one of the talented scripters on the forums could know something like that up in no time), then rename the light something like 'Light001', right click on the SciFi Light and simply put that name in the 'ifused' field......bliss. As soon as the SciFiLight is activated, the dynamic light will turn on.

Oh, the problem with the light was an issue with the store and has now been rectified. So, it is back up for sale to anyone that wants it.

Thanks for Synchromesh for testing.

Cheers

Jay.

TattieBoJangle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 11:08
Got it works great!

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 11:16 Edited at: 26th Jun 2014 11:35
Going to buy it now and have a play, great work jay.

/Edit, works a treat ! great animation as well.

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2014 13:24
Thanks for the purchases guys. Glad you like it.

I am going to be creating an entire pack in that particular style, full of SciFi models. Crates (all different sizes), rooms, corridors, doors and frames, machinery, steps, railings, furniture, consoles and maybe the odd vehicle or two.

Cheers

Jay.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I believe this is reloaded as i cant get any normal illumination to work unless there is a light over it perhaps lee will let us know what's going on :/"

It is a pain but funny enough does work well...You can set the colours or brightness to how you want for pretty effective results....If we could add a timer so they could flicker we could have lightning and great indoor atmospheric effects..

Its because this one is animated its made the issue stand out
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-30 00:22:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-30 00:22:35