3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Unfamillia's Model WIP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 02:25
Reminds me of District 9 I like it!

Although the texture is a little monochromatic, I guess most guns are almost all black anyways.

[/href]
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 09:01
Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote: "Although the texture is a little monochromatic, I guess most guns are almost all black anyways."

I must have played with the colour of the main body for nearly an hour last night. I tried white and off white, but, they didn't sit right, I tried red and blue, but, they made it look a toy, I tried a military sand colour, that looked ok, but, not great, I tried a military green, but, again, i just didn't like it. Eventually, I went back to black and it just works. I think it fits the feel of the gun.

I really wanted another colour to work, as I do feel as though it all looks a little 'samey'.

Cheers

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 14:35 Edited at: 16th Oct 2014 14:35
Love that gun, great work Jay

My only crit is that the edges look a little bit too hard.

PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Gefore 760gtx 2GB

Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 14:46
@E30Legend,

Thanks mate.

Quote: "My only crit is that the edges look a little bit too hard."

There is a reason for this. I originally wanted to keep it super low poly. Before I made all the new adjustments, it came in at just over 900 ve
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 16:02
Glad you lost the arctic camo and the screen! This looks a whole lotta better and has a decent feel to it.
I like the model! But I would have to add that I find it still looks like a prototype...which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and after all, its way more aesthetically pleasing than Heckler und Kochs "G11".

Could you send me the model? I'd like to make my own version, as I believe its a cool prototype and... bah! I wanna make a new gun but don't want to lay the groundwork again

-Wolf

"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"

"absurdity has become necessity"

“There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.”
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 16:14
Quote: "Glad you lost the arctic camo and the screen! "

They had to go. As EAI pointed out, the little screen was more to feed my artist pleasures of having something extra, that serves no functional purpose. The camo, meh, I liked it, but, not enough for a final model.

Quote: "its way more aesthetically pleasing than Heckler und Kochs "G11". "

Sweet Jesus! What is that thing!? It looks like a cross between a NES cartridge and the top of a briefcase!

I will of course send you the model. What format would you prefer? OBJ? FBX? DirectX? Do you want the textures as well? I can send the UV layout as an image if needed?

Oh, also.........

Quote: " I wanna make a new gun but don't want to lay the groundwork again"

LAZY.........! haha.

Cheers

Jay.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2014 16:59 Edited at: 16th Oct 2014 17:00
Quote: "Sweet Jesus! What is that thing!? It looks like a cross between a NES cartridge and the top of a briefcase! "

A caseless ammunition rifle prototype. (the final version of it looks a little better) It was popular in bad 90s action flicks (the thing just screams ugly-90s tech) and early 2000s shooter games.

Quote: "I will of course send you the model. What format would you prefer? OBJ? FBX? DirectX? Do you want the textures as well? I can send the UV layout as an image if needed? "

Obj with textures would be great! I be making da lazor gun! I won't sell it or anything, this is just for screwing around because I find modeling fun.

Quote: "LAZY.........! haha. "

Indeed!

-Wolf

“There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.”
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2014 09:02 Edited at: 20th Oct 2014 12:46
@ Wolf,

Quote: "Obj with textures would be great! I be making da lazor gun!"

I have sent you a link via PM. Did you get it?

Everyone else,

It's been a long process, but, I have finally reached 100 sales in the TGC store. To

Attachments

Login to view attachments
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2014 11:43
wow some nice upon nice texturing unfamllia, a lot better arsenal than the team i support at the moment anyway

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2014 08:28
Haha. Thanks SB. I will be giving more models away at different sales milestones.

I have been following your WIP thread and I must say, you are still doing a superb job! I love everything you are doing with it.

Cheers

Jay.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2014 16:04
Quote: "I have sent you a link via PM. Did you get it? "

I did! ... I think someone left a package in your PM box aswell, you better check

-Wolf

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 00:40
Quote: " I think someone left a package in your PM box aswell, you better check"

How would you know that.........unless.........it was you! You left me that package! Thanks.

I have been working on a small item recently. I like games that let the player interact with their surroundings and this lead me to creating this little keypad. It's nothing special, but, it does allow the player to open doors and access terminals.

If you can't watch it here. Here is the linky link.

Let me know what you think. Is this something you would want to see in the store?

Cheers

Jay.

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2014 08:44
I have added two new items to the store.

The first item is a Sci Fi Computer Console.

Available now from all good stores......(TGC store)

Link

The second is a Power Cabinet.

Again, it has been approved and is in the store now.

Link

Cheers

Jay.

geistschatten
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: GameGuru
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 08:53
Out of curiosity, when might we see the Night Rage II make an appearance in the store, or is it going to be part of your sci-fi model pack?

Also, yes, please add the keypad to the store (and the door and the floor )
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 19:18
@geistschatten

Quote: "Out of curiosity, when might we see the Night Rage II make an appearance in the store, or is it going to be part of your sci-fi model pack"

It is going to be a part of the pack. You will be able to buy it individually,
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2014 21:35
Very well made!
I like how you keep style and color pallette consistent

-Wolf

79% Sale on my latest Scifi Modelpack. Get it here!
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 20:14 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2014 20:15
Quote: "Very well made!

I like how you keep style and color pallette consistent"

Thanks Wolf!

I am gald you have mentioned the palette! I was beginning to think that they all looked a little bland, but, I kept telling myself that it will help them all blend in a scene. You have restored my faith.

I have added two more animated models to the store. They are awaiting approval, but, here is what I have just added.

and

This second one is huge! I have also created a number of different texture sets for the second one as I couldn't decide on which colours to go with.

So, there is,

Silver and Cyan

Black and Red

Black and Cyan

Yellow and Cyan

Let me know what colours you like best and I will upload more to the store. Unless, I should just upload all four?

Cheers

Jay.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2014 23:09
These all look great,love things you can interact with .

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2014 08:39
Cheers Dave!

I love games that let you interact with everything. I feel it really drives the immersion. Little details, like, being able to flush a toilet! It adds nothing to the story or the overall mechanics, but, it gives the player everything they wanted!

So, expect to see more interactive items from me! You might even see a flushing toilet!

Cheers

Jay

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2014 10:37
I have a special offer for you lovely people! It is nearly Christmas and everyone is trying to save as much money as possible.

So, as a gesture of me trying to help things along, I have bundled ALL of my Sci Fi media that is in the store into one pack and have reduced the cost by over 50%.

This pack will only be available until December 24th, so, if you like my media and you think you might use it in the future, please feel free to grab yourself a bargain. While you are there Wizard of ID is also selling some of his great media at greatly reduced costs, so, be sure to check that out!

Link to my pack.

Happy shopping.

Cheers

Jay.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2014 14:20
Cool idea! I wish you many sales!

-Wolf

unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2014 13:47
Thanks Wolf!

It has been my intention to create a Sci Fi pack for cheap out of the models that I made. I will be adding more, but, I thought I would try to save some people money in the lead up to Christmas.

Cheers

Jay.

MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2014 16:01
@unfamillia, Enjoyed, the vids on how to make the concrete barrier. was you going to do a vid on a treasure chest? or something of that nature with an open and closing lid? hint hint.

AMD 9850 black, 6 gigs ram, GTX 260 Win 8.1
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2014 11:28
@MK83,

It was my intention to complete that tutorial, but, I have been struggling to find the time to get things recorded recently! I am a married man with two children, I work full time during the day and when I get home, I have client work to comple
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2015 15:51
unfamillia wrote: "It was my intention to complete that tutorial, but, I have been struggling to find the time to get things recorded recently! I am a married man with two children, I work full time during the day and when I get home, I have client work to complete for my Design business. Time is something I don't really have! haha. "

excuses, excuses !

I have the same problem

Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2015 23:57
I have strangely, started working on a cell shaded model pack. Some of my previous models may feature in this pack, but, the majority will be new models.

I am modelling these in a cell shaded style. We currently don't have access to a shader that will do the work for us, so, I am trialing a method.

Tell me what you think. I have around 15 models made so far. Would you like to see these in the store? Remember, no special shader is needed for these. Just drop them into the engine and they will work perfectly.

Cheers

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2015 07:59
Great models Jay, I see a Borderlands packs coming

PM
teamhalo
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Gears of War 4
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 05:40
Is a cell shader included in reloaded? I had never thought to look at the shader files to see what else there was to play with. Impressive getting things working and the look does resemble something like borderlands.

I have to ask, what happened to the progress on your weapons? You finished the assault rifle and it looked great, have you had any luck bringing it in game? It seams we both use Max, and I am having some trouble bringing custom weapons in game using bond's exporter.

I'm anxious to see some more of your work, it seams to have been a bit since you have shared your work.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 09:41
@E30Legend,

Quote: "Great models Jay, I see a Borderlands packs coming"

You know it buddy! A LOT of work, but, worth it in the end.

@TeamHalo,

Quote: "Is a cell shader included in reloaded? I had never thought to look at the shader files to see what else there was to play with."

Nope. No cell shader in GameGuru. It's all in the modelling!

Quote: "Impressive getting things working and the look does resemble something like borderlands. "

Thanks. That's nice of you to say.

Quote: "I have to ask, what happened to the progress on your weapons? You finished the assault rifle and it looked great, have you had any luck bringing it in game? "

No progress yet! The models took an extreme hiatus as I started to teach myself HTML, CSS and JavaScript! I am a graphic designer and needed to know those languages! I am back into my modelling now, so, I will trying my hardest to get the weapons into GameGuru! Another forum member did actually manage to get my rifle in game, but, I hadn't done any animations. That's next on the list.

Quote: "It seams we both use Max, and I am having some trouble bringing custom weapons in game using bond's exporter. "

I actually only use Blender. I tried a trial version of Max a while back and didn't like the UI. I went to Blender and loved it! haha. Strange I know.

Quote: "I'm anxious to see some more of your work, it seams to have been a bit since you have shared your work."

It has been a while since I shared last! I promise, more work will be steadily flowing through here!

Thanks for the comments!

snowdog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2015 10:15
Just wondering how the money situation works when stuff sells..? Is it cash in hand or do you need to pay tax, get an accountant and file tax returns etc..?
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just wondering how the money situation works when stuff sells..? Is it cash in hand or do you need to pay tax, get an accountant and file tax returns etc..?"

It gets paid into your Paypal account .....
It all depends how much you make regarding the taxman etc but its no different from selling items on Ebay or having car boot sales ...
Not really something the Taxman ever seems to be interested in..

Unless you made a living out of it ...
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 00:15
Three more assets for the Cell shaded pack.

I don't know why, but, I have gone for a cartoon/fantasy style. Two themes I haven't really tried before! Why not try them at the same time!

First up, we have a Treasure Chest. I know this is already in the store, but, I decided to throw it in here as a cell shaded object.

Second is a small bench.

Last but, not least, we have a small house. There will be more of these and a couple of variations of each.

Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

Cheers

Jay.

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 01:50
Quote: "I don't know why, but, I have gone for a cartoon/fantasy style. Two themes I haven't really tried before! Why not try them at the same time! "

Keep it up. You clearly have a knack for it.

Check your smoothing groups in the chest lock area though. They seem a little wonky.

Quote: "We currently don't have access to a shader that will do the work for us, so, I am trialing a method. "

Brute force method? It seems to be working well visually. Is it friendly with baked shadows?
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 08:30
Wolf is right, I think you're on to a winner here Jay.

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 08:47
Quote: "Keep it up. You clearly have a knack for it.

Check your smoothing groups in the chest lock area though. They seem a little wonky."

Thanks.

Yeah, the lock was a bit picky......'scuse the pun. I was going to take it back to Blender, but, it was quite late. I will drag it back kicking and screaming later.

Quote: "Brute force method? It seems to be working well visually. Is it friendly with baked shadows? "

It works well with backed shadows. The whole model becomes a touch darker, but, overall, visual fidelity is much the same.

Quote: "Wolf is right, I think you're on to a winner here Jay."

Thanks mate. But, where's Wolf? I can see that EAI has commented. Are you sleepy mate?

Cheers

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2015 09:16
Quote: "Thanks mate. But, where's Wolf? I can see that EAI has commented. Are you sleepy mate? "

Erm.. nothing to see here, move along

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 00:01
I have done a couple of little test runs today with the models. They work very well in GameGuru and look fantastic!

Here are a couple of screen shots of how easy it is to populate a level with the little entities I have made so far.

And the newest addition; the wishing well.

Here is a little video of a walk through of the 'village' I made in a matter of minutes.

Any thoughts or comments are always welcome.

Oh, I have changed the texture on the Street Light, so, the light isn't black anymore, it now glows a wonderful orangey-yellow.

Cheers

Jay.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 07:57
Wow, truly awesome mate, my only suggestion was to add illumination to the street lamp but see you done that now.

Keep going

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2015 08:36
@E30Legend,

Cheers mate.

This theme is a lot of fun to do! I don't have to worry about proportions (to an extent)!

I did think it wouldn't matter about the texture, but, that is really coming in to play, because of how simple the meshes are, I need to get the detail through on the texture.

Cheers

Jay

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 14:08
Quote: "Wolf is right"

Well thank you!! I agree!

How on earth did you do this without a shader?
Well! Its wierd that I say this but I like your toon stuff a lot more than your scifi stuff! its really that good. You could easily reach AAA toon game quality. Ya know...something like XIII

Keep it up!

-Wolf

J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Make a castle Jay.. you could become Castle King of Cartoon World...before E30Legend gets there...
PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2015 15:32
Quote: "How on earth did you do this without a shader?"

Smoke, mirrors, magic and reversed normals......

Quote: "Well! Its wierd that I say this but I like your toon stuff a lot more than your scifi stuff! its really that good. You could easily reach AAA toon game quality. Ya know...something like XIII"

I originally started this pack to put it on the store, but, the more I play with it, the more I want to keep it for myself! I already have a great idea for a game! I will show more about this later!

Quote: "Make a castle Jay.. you could become Castle King of Cartoon World...before E30Legend gets there..."

Haha. Funnily enough, that is on the list!

Although, E30Legend has already won that badge! His castles will always be better than mine.

Cheers

Jay.

0Alemar0
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW that s nice unfamillia! good models , style and beautiful toon lines!
www.alemargames.com
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2015 00:37 Edited at: 7th Mar 2015 00:37
As I said in an earlier post, I have an idea in mind for the use of these models.

I wanted to make a fantasy game, in which the player is required to jump from island to island; with one small difference....

The islands are floating .......... in the sky.

I like the images, but, they don't do the models and the scale of the world justice. Here is a video to give you a better idea.

Comments and Criticisms are always welcome.

Cheers

Jay.

Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2015 06:43 Edited at: 7th Mar 2015 06:46
I love it. That's imported terrain for the islands?

Why not do both?

By that I mean make your game and all the things you need for it and at the same time, sell maybe 50-80% of the assets on the store. That's basically the approach I'm taking.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC, Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1024x1280
Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2015 10:00 Edited at: 7th Mar 2015 10:02
JC wrote: " "Make a castle Jay.. you could become Castle King of Cartoon World...before E30Legend gets there...""

unfamillia wrote: " Haha. Funnily enough, that is on the list!

Although, E30Legend has already won that badge! His castles will always be better than mine. "

I can't believe no one has thought of building above the terrain before ! Well done Jay, it looks brilliant. Now I'm seeing castles in the sky

unfamillia wrote: "I originally started this pack to put it on the store, but, the more I play with it, the more I want to keep it for myself! I already have a great idea for a game! I will show more about this later! "

This is the trouble, the times I've stated making assets for the store and then decided to keep them for my game, in fact, I've kept all of them so far !

PM
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2015 10:07
@EAI,

Quote: "That's imported terrain for the islands"

Yeah. Well, they are just huge models. I think they are a little too big at the moment. I want the player to really feel like they are on a little floating rock, so, I might bring the size down a touch.

Quote: "Why not do both?

By that I mean make your game and all the things you need for it and at the same time, sell maybe 50-80% of the assets on the store. That's basically the approach I'm taking."

That's not a bad shout. Although, it does take away the originality of the game. I will have a think and decide when I have more models made.

Thanks for the comments.

@E30Legend,

Quote: "I can't believe no one has thought of building above the terrain before ! Well done Jay, it looks brilliant. Now I'm seeing castles in the sky"

I have done it before with my original game in classic. The game called Impuzzable. I guess that's where th inspiration came from the this one.

The idea for this is to have a fantasy puzzle, whereas the player has to complete puzzles or missions and has to try to get to the next island.

Quote: "This is the trouble the times I've stated making assets for the store and then decided to keep them for my game, well in fact I've kept all of them so far ! "

I realised I was making models, just for the store and not actually making any games. Which is daft really as I love making games. So, I will focus on making this for now and might decide to release the models to the store afterwards.

Cheers

Jay.

J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Why not release the models with the game...
You buy the game you get the models... ( at extra cost obviously )

How do you plan to get from one island to the next...
Are you going to have some joined by swing bridges or plant like roots like Avitar...

All looking amazing..
PM
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2015 14:58 Edited at: 7th Mar 2015 14:59
Quote: "Why not release the models with the game...
You buy the game you get the models..."

"If you loved Part 1 then you'll really love Part 2!"
Spoiler Alert: You have to make Part 2 yourself
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2015 20:12
wow you have been busy, loving the cartoon world, it is unique to you and i am very impressed how much more different it is to apocalypse town. and equally as good. very impressed will buy you a pint when next in preston, aso where do you hang out e40?
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 08:30:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 08:30:23