Off Topic / Somewhere in time...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2022 09:00
Hi all,

After a long time without posting anything here in this forum, once, so moving and alive, sometimes with

heated discussions, real verbal battles, with frequent interventions by the moderators, it is sad to me to see

this forum, shall we say, so tepid, with just a few daily posts or none at all.

C'est la vie mes amis, sorry for my nostalgia.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,
- Northern
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2022 20:26 Edited at: 31st May 2022 20:28
Quote: "it is sad to me to see this forum, shall we say, so tepid, with just a few daily posts or none at all."

That is because most are on the GameGuru and GameGuruMax Discord Live Chat channels where its buzzing.
We are all there and your missing some awesome stuff.
No one ever really leaves.
PM
thatandplaygames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2022 21:34 Edited at: 31st May 2022 21:36
snychromesh... is this the site? https://discord.com/channels/332652927082692609/332654373165596672

OR

https://discord.com/channels/950796460683829329/950796461136826389

Thanks!
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2022 00:17 Edited at: 1st Jun 2022 00:18
@thatandplaygames

Here is an invite link for the Max Discord
https://discord.gg/tYBm7KUn

Here is an invite link for the Classic Discord
https://discord.gg/qU8JDqMs
PM
Northern
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2022 12:15
Synchromesh said:

Quote: "That is because most are on the GameGuru and GameGuruMax Discord Live Chat channels where its buzzing"

Hello Synchromesh and all,

Thanks for commenting on my post and clarifying the current status of the GameGuru Classic forum.

An active forum is one of the vital signs of any game engine, in my opinion and that of many people who have an interest in a game engine.

Therefore, I could be wrong, this change from the GameGuru Classic forum to Discord, that is, changing a public forum (current official) for a private one (Discord), since it raises an initial difficulty for people interested in GameGuru Classic, because it is necessary that each of them (new and current interested parties) receive a special invitation from someone from that forum, in order to participate in it.

That initial difficulty, together with the lack of activity on the current official forum, will result in or is already causing a "dehydration" or emptying of the current forum, which over time
will end up turning it into a ghost town or even ceasing to exist.

In addition, the "dehydration" or emptying of the current forum, will lead to less disclosure of The Game Creator Store to the target audience, directly harming all sellers that there, promote their products in the hope of selling them someday.

I'm not an expert, but it goes without saying that in Marketing, the greater the positive visibility and ease of access to a product, the better. The idea of ​​imposing difficulties and barriers does not seem to me to be a very smart marketing strategy.

GameGuru Classic has improved a lot compared to its first versions, and these improvements may be useful to increase the number of people interested in knowing and using GameGuru Max.
I sincerely hope I am wrong on this matter.

Warm greetings.
-Northern
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2022 12:43 Edited at: 1st Jun 2022 12:53
Quote: "An active forum is one of the vital signs of any game engine, in my opinion and that of many people who have an interest in a game engine."

Yet most of those many people choose the Discord Live Chat.
All the links are available in the software for the user to choose. Us oldies have to keep up with the times i guess
Discord seems to be the place to get the best info live but the forums still get used a lot. Just not so much the Product Chat as on the discord we can converse directly.
Even My first question on a forum these days to any product is " Do you have a Discord Channel "
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2022 22:14 Edited at: 2nd Jun 2022 09:14
Yes, discord is ( mod edit )
Pro Programmer / Data Scientist: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2022, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes, discord is ( mod edit )"

Hi Micheal Glad t osee you here...
i sent you severa lpm and mail due i need my activation code for my HG2GG copy

if you read this please answer me..

thanks in advance
PC 1 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 3800x OPTA CORE @3,90, 64GB RAM DDR4 @3200,
M/B GIGABYTE AX370, SVGA ATI XFX RX580 GTS XXX EDITION 8GB GDDR5 , 1X SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X SSD SAMGUNG EVO QVO 870 1TB SATA3 ,1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
Kraven W
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2022 02:28 Edited at: 4th Jun 2022 02:32
Quote: "All the links are available in the software for the user to choose. Us oldies have to keep up with the times i guess "

I joined the Discord, since the forums are an empty shell of what they used to be back in the good 'ol FPSC days. Will see if things are any more entertaining there, I suppose.

As with the github, I wouldn't have known how to get into the Discord without stumbling into a random link in a random forum post as I just did now. Maybe add these links to Max's splash/start-up page so they're easier for more casual users to find (or just to know even exist)?

EDIT: Hi, Northern. Good to see that you're still around. I remember you from a lifetime or so ago (give or take).
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2022 11:07 Edited at: 4th Jun 2022 11:12
Quote: "I joined the Discord, since the forums are an empty shell of what they used to be back in the good 'ol FPSC days. Will see if things are any more entertaining there, I suppose. "

Ye for sure the Discords take the attention away from the forums but even that has its quiet periods.
Lots work daytime, Sunday seems to be quiet. Its more apparent who is about and who will not be at certain times of the day and night when its direct conversations.

Having said that though ..
Josh's Forums ( Leadwerks ) have always been pretty average with activity and when he opened his discord it boomed with new members and was extremely active. The problem was his forums got even quieter so he closed it and now its back to average again with nothing like the activity he had on his Discord channel ... A Mistake doing that maybe ?
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2022 16:51
The discord is pretty dead as well. There is more going on on the GG max side of things but even there, its somewhat quiet.
Its really unfortunate. I am with you northern as I also remember not just GG but also FPSC in their glory days and right now, its pretty dire.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2022 00:59 Edited at: 6th Jun 2022 01:54
Quote: "Its really unfortunate. I am with you northern as I also remember not just GG but also FPSC in their glory days and right now, its pretty dire."

It literally quiet everywhere. Not sure if people got sick of being online through covid but since then its just gone dead everywhere.
17 discord channels and god knows how many forums i visit let alone Steam where nothing seems to be happening on any of the products i own.
As Northern stated.

Quote: "After a long time without posting anything here in this forum"

Answered his own question really. Him and many others
PM
Kraven W
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2022 23:55
Quote: "Ye for sure the Discords take the attention away from the forums but even that has its quiet periods."

Eck. Social media. For each brand or product a person follows now, there's over half a dozen different websites where a community can congregate (YT, Twitter, Facebook, Twitch, Reddit, public forums, Discord, Github, STEAM, Instagram, etc., etc., ETC.), it really thins out the community, stretching them across all of these different networks, which is particularly devastating to small niche communities like this one, IMO, who don't have that many members to split up everywhere. 10 regulars posters on here, 10 over there, 20 there, another 10 over there...instead of 50 all in one place.

Back in my day, brands and products had a single forum or website where people who shared a common interest would all get together to discuss it. But the good 'ol days are gone and done with, I suppose. There's no more dial up tone when you get online, no more split-screen Goldeneye on the N64, no more SOCOM, and to top it all off, there's more than 151 Pokemon, and WAY too much card text on Yugioh cards now . All hope is lost.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it really thins out the community, stretching them across all of these different networks, which is particularly devastating to small niche communities like this one, IMO, who don't have that many members to split up everywhere. 10 regulars posters on here, 10 over there, 20 there, another 10 over there...instead of 50 all in one place."

Have to agree ...
To many places to go for the one product really and each user usually has a favourite.
PM
Northern
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2022 14:42
Kraven W. wrote:

Quote: "Hi, Northern. Good to see that you're still around. I remember you from a lifetime or so ago (give or take). "

Hi all,

Thanks to Kraven W., Wolf , Synchromesh and everyone else who posted their opinions on this subject.

Anyway, it's always good to review legends from FPSC Classic forums posting their comments on this GameGuru forum, be it Classic or Max.

Everyone, feel grateful for your posts , comments, however, we need to believe that better days will come for everyone. Philosophers say that not to change is to perish, and that changes are part of our life.

Perhaps, the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated these changes too much, not giving people time to adapt to the new times, who knows, combined with the disastrous consequences of the pandemic, such as premature loss of loved ones, loss of jobs, income, housing and faith for better days to come.

After reading all the posts and thinking a little more about them, maybe this is the new reality at this moment, and that the days of forums with hundreds of daily comments are gone, given the new reality imposed by today.
Cheers,
- Northern
PM
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2022 03:04
I absolutely hate how discussions have shifted over to Discord. In the future, when Discord dies or the Discord GG server ends, all that glorious content will be lost simply because it wasn't indexed by a search engine.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2022 08:48
I'm just a 52 year old kantankerous bloke who seems to moan and annoy people these days. I am however not chatting unless i have something good to say at present as i tend to have foot in mouth syndrome

However in a few weeks i may start a wip thread on max on my new look game and world may help spur people on and hope to inspire
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2022 15:39
I would like the glorious times in the GG forum to come back again, anyway, Discord is another different world, it is most for chatting.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2022 04:54 Edited at: 26th Aug 2022 23:29
Quote: "It literally quiet everywhere. Not sure if people got sick of being online through covid but since then its just gone dead everywhere.
17 discord channels and god knows how many forums i visit let alone Steam where nothing seems to be happening on any of the products i own."

I've noticed this too actually. As I'm part of quite a number of Discords as well. But I 've also noticed other forums have also fallen into months of silence. Its not just synonymous with this community. Seems to indeed be more a change in how people socialize online. Social media could have played a roll in this. Seems people now seem to prefer bit-sized snibbits of news here and there.

I think the most engaging aspect of the community current are the YouTube live broadcasts. The chats seem to be quite lively.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2022 12:43 Edited at: 9th Oct 2022 12:53
Old thread I know but for what it's worth: Completely get what northern is saying.

Forums are far more useful than discord, especially for structure and repository of searchable discussions on useful posts.
Graphix made a great search utility that could find things, unlike the forums extremely limited (well useless really) search function (have not tried since new look)

But yeah, discord is ok for chatter - but not really very useful as an archive for a game engine.

If the choice was put out there, I would vote to ditch Discord without hesitation.
Also discord links expire, as has the one in this thread, so they are no good unless used soon after created.

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 14th Oct 2022 10:04
I don't even have a Discord account, so anything off the forums is pointless waste of time for me.

Also, I do find it interesting how chatting constantly on Discord is normal but threads here are locked in 90 days, so if you want to reply to someone or some topic with new info or just want to carry an old discussion without re-posting it, you can't. Funny how that works.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:46:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:46:32