Product Chat / Basket case/ FPE setting @ collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Found this thread;
((FPE file stuff and definitions and functions))--https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/214389
Found the 'wicker basket' in the stock boxes folder.
Changed the .fpe to these settings;

collisionmode = 1
forcesimpleobstacle = 3

But this basket as well as milk crate still behave with cube (or box) collision when dynamic
even after this setting changed! (yes, re-started GG and verified .fpe changes).
Any thoughts, or -- does anyone know where to obtain a basket that I can put things in. Items
are just sitting on the top of the empty basket. It's not the items fault- they certainly fall off
the basket edge.
Help lil ol red riding hood find Grannies place? lol
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 07:25
Did you delete any old dbo files?
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, magic! Last time I put objects in the basket-- they all disappeared!
Nowhere to be found, poof! can't see them flying away or anything.
I might be wasting not just hours or days, but weeks and months trying
to do something a little different with this pile!
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, BOTR. Thanks for the question. The answer is no.
To verify all objects are being used 'dynamic'.
But gotta go, it's 2:30 a.m. presently. I should try to get a little shut - eye before
--- uh what day is it? See ya back in ~ 12 hrs?
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 08:19
All dynamic entities automatically get either box, cylinder, or spherical collision. Polygonal collision is not supported when an entity is dynamic, meaning there is no way to have a dynamic basket you can put stuff in. I know right, Game Guru sucks sometimes. It's not like we haven't been asked for polygonal dynamic collision since the FPSC days...

AE
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 13:19 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2021 13:20
Quote: " box, cylinder, or spherical collision"

or convex now

you really don't want polygon physics for dynamic entities tbf, it'll be super slow, better to fake it with multiple boxes in this case
or if you aren't planning to move the basket with the objects in it set the objects to isimmobile
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 16:58
You can use physics constraints to attach simple shapes together to make a more complex shape like a box and then position a non collision shape in the same place to give the visual look you want.

That's basically how my Fork Lift Truck demo works.

It's fiddly though.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 18:10
I've recently collision issues with my mesh and fix it using isimmobile = YES in property settings.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 18:50
@3com: isimmobile is for you to tell the engine that something will never be move so it's ok to use polygon collision. It is basically for situations where you may have a doorway or similar that you want to be active but still want to be able to walk though it.

If you use the Lua CollisionOff/position&rotate/CollisionOn trick it is actually possible to move an entity which has polygon collision mode but a) the performance will be atrocious* and b) it doesn't always work (in fact in recent versions of the engine it may not work at all).

*when I did this with the moonlander model from the scifi pack by accident once I barely got 10 FPS out of it and it was pretty much the only model in the level!
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay. That's what we have to work with. There is a certain object that seems to work,
but not perfectly. They are held for a while, but then things ooze out of the sides of
that object, therefore my dismay tantrum. I thought it was just an anomaly in the
basket model or I didn't know what I was doing <<=== probably this!
There was almost no FPPlayer collision working with moving objects (laterally) a year+
ago , but see it now- or again it was just my settings........
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 21:06
Quote: " It is basically for situations where you may have a doorway or similar that you want to be active but still want to be able to walk though it."

That's just my case with my energia_processing_unity dynamic mesh, it is a compound mesh (some machines forming one), but I want to walk thru and GGMax does not allow me to do and after much time playing with collisionmode = 1 plus forcesimpleobstacle = 3 I have the idea about isimmobile = YES option, and it works ok.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2021 22:55
To give a bit more in depth answer (feel free to nod off at any point):

Dynamic entities are under control of the Bullet engine, this basically means that lots of clever math will get done using the collision shape of the entity each frame against the environment it is in and Bullet will work out where the entity should move to given it's mass and the force of gravity, friction etc. This obviously takes a lot of processing, in fact for a collision shape with lots of vertices it can take so much processing it will grind the engine to a halt so Bullet recommends a maximum of 100 vertices for polygon collision shapes to retain a decent performance.
By using the isimmobile=Yes you are basically telling the Bullet engine that this entity is not moving so it can avoid most of the tricky processing involving gravity and friction and motion which means the Bullet engine can treat it as a static object.

Obviously if you try to cheat and say something is immobile but under the covers you move it anyway it will seriously upset the Bullet engines ability to provide a proper physics simulation.
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2021 00:22 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2021 00:23
I wish we could separately specify a collision mesh when importing entities, it would make things so much easier. The collision boxes tool in the model importer is OK for some objects but it would be great if as well as recognising LOD levels like _LOD0, _LOD1, _LOD2 etc., Game Guru also recognised _COL or something, a super simple mesh just used for collision calculation.

AE
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2021 01:26
What I haven't so clear is what's about if I need to walk thru my compound mesh, but I need my mesh to be dynamic as well?
In this case, isimmobile and/or static mode are not an option.
In my case, the meshes aren't immobile and dynamics, and now I can walk thru.
Anyway, I'm going to make all meshes static for performance sake, I just had them as dynamic meshes just for sake of testing/pushing GGMax_tiny build.

GGmax might use custom collision shapes, so we can make the collision shape when modeling the mesh, and just a super-basic shape around the mesh, just a crazy idea, I know. LOL

memory mark 2584.8

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "What I haven't so clear is what's about if I need to walk thru my compound mesh, but I need my mesh to be dynamic as well?"

you cheat and use multiple collision shapes as we said earlier... it's how it's done in most engines, some make it easy to add multiple collision shapes to 1 object, some make it easy to attach hidden objects to others etc
as amen said, GG has ways to do such things too, use hinges or manually move multiple objects via script, you can do a lot with a few hidden objects in GG, the user might see some super high quality model with lots of details but underneath it might only need a few cubes to act as collision - check out amen's forklift truck demo for a very nice working example in GG
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2021 11:53
Guys, all you are talking about is a nice workaround I've used in GG, times ago, but the question is then I'm walking thru my dynamic compound mesh without any workaround, just making my mesh, isimmoble = YES.
When I have the scene most elaborated I'm going to make a vid on my thread, now happens that I'm modeling very detailed meshes, so it takes a long time to be done.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2021 17:12 Edited at: 4th Feb 2021 17:16
@Amenmoses you picked the wrong model for that The moonlander is a ridiculous poly count! Moving reasonable objects around is a lot better

@3com. You could just disable collision on your object/doorway and add invisible planes/boxes to fake it.

Edit - Actually it would be great if in Max, we could have a system similar to Unreal where you can group meshes together in a blueprint type fashion, save and then replicate whenever we wished. That way adding fake collision boxes would be a lot less of a chore.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2021 16:17
@ DVader
Quote: " You could just disable collision on your object/doorway and add invisible planes/boxes to fake it."

I recall you making something similar in GG with a lot of trees on a forest.
I did something similar in GG times ago to avoid harry's creature walking thru the walls.

Groups and edit groups is planed on GGMax, it might be some way to clone several meshes at the time, thought

memory mark 2584.8

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 02:14:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 02:14:58