Product Chat / GameGuru MAX Live - Broadcast #14 Answers

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 12:32 Edited at: 30th Sep 2020 17:38
We continue our live broadcast series covering the latest developments of GameGuru MAX, and reveal the first version we are happy to call a beta build. It still has a ways to go, but we are happy finally be able to share the terrain sculpting and painting functionality, and the new multi-grass painting feature:

We had plenty of questions in our extended time live chat, and here are your answers:

Q> ​Hey Lee is the game guru officially launched?
A> No not yet, the official date is the 1st December UK time

Q> ​Will FBX import be available?
A> Yes you will be able to import AssImp supported FBX files via the Importer

Q> Will GGM have an actual manual!?
A> Yes you will find it from the HELP menu.

Q> ​Also how about making weapons?
A> There are no plans to add a 'Weapons Maker' into GameGuru MAX, though we will illustrate how to create your own GameGuru MAX compatible weapons if you are a technical artist and happy to model and animate your own.

Q> Best way to report bugs for the beta is thru GitHub right?
A> Yes, we will opening up the GitHub Issues Board to MAX bugs soon - watch for the announcement

Q> Will we be able to import our own characters?
A> You can import animated characters, but you will need to script all the behavior yourself. If you want characters out of the box that talk,. move and suchlike you can use the built-in Character Creator.

Q> ​Will importing bought 3rd party animated characters and weapons be the same process as it was in classic?
A> Not the same. In MAX we are using AssImp to import and prepare the model for use in MAX.

Q> ​With multi grass can you make your own grass and import it?
A> Yes you can select the grass type [...] button and replace it with a custom texture of your own.

Q> ​Any chance of getting a mini-map added that will show your quests? I think that is on thing Gameguru is missing that would knock it into a AAA game builder.
A> We will be restoring the existing LUA script-based UI stuff such as the RADAR in the BIG ESCAPE, but there are no plans to add new in-game panels or gadgets for release.

Q> Do you plane to expose those sun/Light settings via LUA?
A> There are no plans for the early betas, but I think it is a great idea that all the properties in the editor can be adjusted in script.

Q> Would I be able to make a muzzle flash by making a light in front of the gun and make it disappear instantly?
A> With some LUA commands you can move an entity light to your gun position, adjust the light then remove it, sure.

Q> ​With VR, will you be able to physically grab objects instead of the floaty tether grab?
A> There are no plans to have 'grabby' hands for the release, just the tractor beam style carrying of entities in-game.

Q> Once GameGuru Max is out what will happen to classic guru?
A> GameGuru Classic will continue alongside MAX, for as long as there is a Classic community. The source codes have common hooks so fixes in one may result in fixes to the other, thus keeping them both relevant.

Q> ​Will there be a water paint tool? If we want a stream on a mountain but don't want t ok flood the map.
A> There are no plans for a water paint tool for release. For this, you need to do it the old fashioned way with models and scripting, at least for volume water bodies.

Q> ​How do you import GGC models into GGM?
A> For the most part, GGC models are already compatible with MAX, you just need to copy them over to your entitybank, find them and select them for your level.

Q> Will game guru classic become free when Max comes out?
A> There are no plans to make Classic free when MAX is released. It is likely sales of Classic will fall off when MAX ascends, but every little helps and we need every penny to continue GameGuru development.

Q> ​How big is the team?
A> The internal team is relatively small (when compared to the big boys), we have Lee (me), Mike (terrain), Paul (VR, engine, particles), Preben (UI & many things), a number of excellent artists, a part-time project manager, and some admin bods. The credits screen is not very long in our software

Q> ​When do you plan to release the official GameGuru MAX?
A> The 1st December 2020.

Q> What demo levels will come with beta and first version?
A> The only internally created level will be the Cellar Demo (escape the zombie level). We are hopeful to secure some community creations for the final release, as some are out of this world already!

Q> In what ways will GameGuru Max compete with other engines like Build Box or Lumberyard?
A> GameGuru MAX will sit alongside them but only compete as far as MAX offers features and benefits devoid in similar tools. There is no one right choice, it really boils down to what you want to do.

Q> ​Will there be better support for open-world games? Such as performance and large amounts of assets?
A> There are no plans for truly massive open-world levels, but MAX will allow much larger terrains than Classic. Thanks to the virtual texture and geometry system (and 64-bit memory allocations) you should be able to create on a larger scale!

Q> ​Do you plane import multi-meshes with multi-textures?
A> Yes we intended the Importer to handle multi-texture and multi-mesh models. If you find a model that does not import, please send it to us (if allowed) so we can add it to our testing regime.

Q> Does the multiplayer still have a maximum of 8 players and if it gets increased, is having low graphics quality something that's required for smooth gameplay?
A> Yes the limit will still be 8 to control the amount of work the HOST player PC needs to get through. Performance and latency is something to be judged on a case by case basis and is not necessarily related to the graphics quality level.

Q> ​Importing a character with bones and animations, because I'm coming from unity I'm just wondering how the characters work is it humanoid, generic & son on?
A> When you import an animated character, it will come in with geometry, textures, rigged bones, and animation data (ideally). This is then saved as an entity, which you can then assign a LUA script to control those animations.

Q> Which will be the best VR Goggles for GGM.. not to break the bank?
A> I would recommend Windows Mixed Reality as a good balance between cost and quality. My go-to headset was a Dell Visor.

Q> ​Can we see underwater?
A> You can certainly go underwater and see things, but it is very basic underwater with no special effects down there.

Q> ​Dare I ask, is source code on github likely in December?
A> No plans to release source code for MAX at this time, we will look at this again in 2021 to see if the benefits outway the issues.

Q> Will game guru max have templates?
A> There are no plans for templates for release, but we hope to provide some sample levels from which you can learn and edit.
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic !!
Cant wait, Thanks Lee
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 13:05
ugggh i will miss it, but will catch it later thanks Lee
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 13:08
It sounds great!
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
M I N I
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 13:16 Edited at: 30th Sep 2020 18:16
Sounds fantastic!

Really looking forward to getting my hands on it!

In fact I've been checking this thread every hour.

Will the beta build be available before the live stream so that we can ask question related to it or post?

Thanks in advance and a big well done to the team!
[href=https://forum.game-guru.com/post/2630622]

[/href]
PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 13:38
This is great news Lee, I will watch later when I am home from work.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 16:19

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 17:37
@Belidos : Awesome
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

ShN33Ky
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 21:14
Awesome @Lee.... I'm home today and looking forward to the 1st Betta this afternoon pst! I plan to get strait to work on some MP maps so must ask you the Head Guru some simple questions if you don't mind !

1: Can we build standalone Mp's in the Betta ?
2: In my MP maps I made in GGC I noticed while testing my maps would freeze/crash if I have just about anything Dynamic such as sprites/door's/ even water. Would it be best for functionality to keep MP maps as static as possible ?
3: Will we be able to use multiple MP Maps in a single standalone build ?

Hope I'm not out of line asking on this thread...

cheers
sHn33KY
Processor: Intel(R) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) System type: 64-bit Operating System,x64-based processor

Start the day by righting your wrongs then end you day right so you don't have to do it again tomorrow ...

sHn33Ky
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2020 23:00
multi grass will the grass be animated ingame?
great news, that you can easily import your old levels.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
"great news, that you can easily import your old levels."
Naw- not great.
It's just... Super!
My cow- that's super good news. We didn't even get a menu
helper with GGjr... (until

@Graphix saved us with 3rd party radicalness). Asset Manager works with MAX??

With all this new spawn grass from the UI and paint with it...
Just still hoping for .lua spawn entities... one day Lee might say that
sounds like a good idea (oh wait, he already said it was a good idea!)
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Asset Manager works with MAX?? "

Indeed it does ..
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 01:37
Wow Lee that grass is awesome - way better that I imagines it would be!

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 02:13 Edited at: 1st Oct 2020 02:16
Quote: "Wow Lee that grass is awesome - way better that I imagines it would be!"

Ye there is so much more than i expected and many things included that Lee said Max would NOT have.
Bet no one complains about those so called broken Promises .
PM
DeprivedGaming
Years of Service
User Offline
I still not have recieved the beta. Is there something wrong?
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 08:48
@DeprivedGaming - nope nothing wrong Lee did say it could be today, he must have had a problem with his tests last night.
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-9700K @4.2GHz - 64GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB - 2TB NVe, 1TB NVe, 2TB Hybrid Data Drive
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 08:48
I guess Lee hit a snag with the beta?
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Mad_Viking
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee must still be working on it.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 09:50
Just checked the beta is live :0
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 09:53
good news. checking it out now.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 16GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64), Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 10:07
downloading...
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 10:55
Where do we post bug reports for the Beta One version ?
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 11:13
Quote: "Where do we post bug reports for the Beta One version ?"

Lee is most likely asleep as he worked all night
So use this, Only post bug report.Will create a thread for MAX beta suggestions and improvements
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/222191
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 14:24
I have a question for if anyone knows, will there be work done on Classic anytime soon? There are a couple of new glaring bugs affecting my current game project.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2020 16:49
Sorry for the delay of the beta build release - I classically fell asleep at my keyboard (ah those were the days)

mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

"... I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.
Along with the sunshine, there's gotta be a little rain sometime ... " (Excerpt from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Garden_(Joe_South_song) -> Song written in 1967 by American singer-songwriter Joe South).

Game Guru Max Beta 2 - standalone test : Amazing realtime godrays as shown in this uploaded video (55 MB = 21 sec) on Movavi Cloud :

http://cloud.movavi.com/show/trIuTvGQ5gnqWJ1L3MRUC7oSBeDfim4P

Thanks for watching.

PM
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Game Development
Posted: 3rd Oct 2020 00:19
@mikeven:

I see no god rays. Just simple bloom.

Mike
YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!

www.atomiccatinteractive.com

For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi World Class Multimedia,

Thank you for your comment.
Perhaps that my concept of 'god rays' is exaggerated.
I tried to capture the scene from another angle as shown in this video (13 MB = 10 sec), link to Movavi cloud http://cloud.movavi.com/show/8JmZR0FqvUusjO5ByW7znkpcGE9V3iK4
I must admit that those rays don't spread on the earth.

PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,

I want to show a more interesting experiment with an imported large terrain created with Bryce 7 Pro.
This video (86 MB = 41 sec) uploaded on Movavi Cloud
http://cloud.movavi.com/show/1Bofhq0IH7O5Rj3NZaGc8wKV2enp9yX4
shows the successful creation of the standalone version of that small project created with Game Guru Max Beta One.

I noticed that the bug relating to multi materials mesh (see the ball falling from the hill) don't appear in that version.
About the house (created with Pcon Planner Standard + UV mapping with MetaSequoia 4 Pro + textures with ShaderMap Pro 4), the rendering of its materials could be better if the settings of the .surface material would be adjusted.

Thanks for watching,

PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 7th Oct 2020 23:11
Lee One question,... As you mentioned that you can copy in an old map from classic , like you did in the video, and max will bring it in for you, will Max also give us the benefit of extending that map once it is loaded into max.? or not?
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 23:18:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 23:18:32