Product Chat / VR gear

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2020 18:07

Since I'm thinking about getting into the VR world , which is/are the unit(s) I should be looking at to work with GGMax and other games/products .

Lance
Lance

Joined 22nd Jul 2003

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2020 18:48
The whole point of using OpenXR is that it shouldn't matter what VR hardware you use.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Jul 2020 11:36
Yes but starting out in VR with all the different products is very confusing, i would search on Youtube some people have put videos showing all the different common VR sets, what you need for each set the cost of each set and if they are worth it as a beginner or are for advanced users or collectors.

I do believe the Occulus Quest with the link cable is the best all rounder and cheapest. As it can be used standalone and with PC with the Link cable. Cost between £200 used to £500 new. I would check yourself on Youtube and make your own mind up.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yh anything that runs openXR will be fine for max so budget really is the main decision here, if you want a solid lower budget you can't go wrong with the oculus quest and it's great for hassle free playing of oculus games but it can be a little annoying to get working with the pc (especially for dev purposes) as the link cable tends to fall out or get disconnected a lot and if you are just focusing on your pc to power the game you might as well get a cheaper headset

If you can afford a valve index than obviously that is the best on the market.

If you want to go very low budget you can get a Windows mixed reality headset but you will always get what you pay for so don't go expecting the same experience compared to the index etc.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2020 16:05 Edited at: 8th Jul 2020 16:12
ah there were so many factors that came into play when getting my PC VR ready. I bought a Dell Windows Mixed Reality headset off ebay which is great. Firstly, I had to upgrade / install myself an upgraded PSU as I needed an extra lead that was missing (think it was a 8 pin GFX card connector to my upgraded GFX card GTX 1060), then I realised I didn't have any USB 3.0 ports only 2.0 and then no bluetooth dongle. Along with this, the terrible motherboard I have hides the PCI slot I needed to slot in the USB 3.0 card expansion when slotting in the upgraded GFX card etc etc. So make sure your PC has all that's needed.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 8GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 (x64) + 2GB , Geforce GTX1060(3GB). Dell Mixed Reality VR headset, Aerodrums 3D
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I own an Oculus Quest and its a good all rounder, Wireless, Portable. No extras needed and of course Oculus Link to run steam and any sideloaded games and apps. ( With Virtual Desktop you do not even need the cable ) Its almost a VR gaming console in its own right without the need of a PC but you still get access to all the VR content around.

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 9th Jul 2020 11:51
@smallg
Do you not use Virtual Desktop app on the Occulus Quest? It provides wireless PC connection.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2020 22:50 Edited at: 9th Jul 2020 22:50
Quote: "@smallg
Do you not use Virtual Desktop app on the Occulus Quest? It provides wireless PC connection."

i do but i was just using the link cable disconnect as an example compared to a headset with a built in cable... it still isn't really an ideal headset to use if you are only planning on using it to play/dev games powered by your PC
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 06:05:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 06:05:06