Product Chat / GameGuru YouTube Channel

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2020 15:35
Hi All,

One of the conversations I have had with my internal team is the idea of GameGuru community members submitting videos to us for inclusion into the GameGuru YouTube channel, under a Community Playlist theme. With the success of our newsletter articles that feature creators from GameGuru and AppGameKit universes, we felt it makes sense to highlight some of the work being done on our main YouTube channel too.

If you are interested in creating GameGuru videos, maybe covering the project you are working on, or more general tips and advice about creating games, post here and we can discuss how this might come about. As you know I am scheduled to make a video around once a week, but I think it would be grand to see more videos on the channel.

It was also discussed you could be recompensed from ad-revenue on the videos, but the viewing numbers are so low that we are only talking about £1-£2 per month so perhaps this incentive is not that appealing, and the admin work for TGC to make those payments makes the amount unworkable. Maybe when we get more subscribers down the road this might make more sense for creators to participate.

Also, some nice news, we have recently passed the 7000 subscribers mark on our YouTube channel Tiny numbers I know, but it's always great to hit a milestone. Looking forward to passing the 8000 mark in the next few years
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 00:11
Interesting proposition...

Would content uploaded to the GG YouTube channel be exclusive to it, or could creators still post the same videos to their own personal channels?

Perhaps you could start by curating a playlist of similarly-themed content that already exists on third party YouTube channels. Several users around here already regularly post videos about Game Guru so there's plenty to draw from. And, still being hosted on their own YouTube channels, the creators would continue to get any ad-revenue from their videos.

Just as a general observation, the Game Guru YouTube channel itself could do with a bit of TLC - it's very basic at the moment, you (I don't mean you personally, Lee, but TGC as a whole) just have your uploads and that's it, no channel trailer, no curated playlists, only one featured channel. You're well-placed to position your channel as part knowledge hub, part marketing platform, but you need to invest a bit of time in organising your existing content to help audiences differentiate it. If you're really serious about YouTube, custom thumbnails, meta-tags, and end-screens are all a must.

AE
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 01:19
The way to go, i think is to have someone create regular content with samples of games projects and put the links of the original original videos in the description.
In doing so, you'll have a nice display of what is possible and developpers get an extra advertisement for their game.
There could be a thread in this forum board where people can add there videos if they want them to be included, so there won't be a need to seek through youtube for possible content.

GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline

When a good game gets good exposure, and builds momentum,
it can only help GG Jr. and GG Sr. Everybody benefits.
Then throw in some nice game making tips to go along with it!
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 14:10 Edited at: 17th Apr 2020 16:07
How would that work?

A playlist can contain videos from different channels.
Or do you want people to "donate" videos for the gg channel?
If there is a playlist I can sure add some of my videos.

Anyway, sounds like a cool plan. I would gladly contribute something. I think this would also gain more attention to individual projects and community members.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 14:12
happy to donate videos, time permitting.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++ VS2019, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, others
Hardware: ULTRA FAST Quad Core Gaming PC Tower WIFI & 8GB 1TB HDD & Win 10 + 2GB GT710
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 18:01
Quote: "A playlist can contain videos from different channels.
Or do you want people to "donate" videos for the gg channel?
If there is a playlist I can sure add some of my videos. "

I was just going to mention that videos can be added to a channel's playlist without them being uploaded to the channel. Though perhaps they want some branding consistency.
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2020 21:28
If anyone has a link to how to list videos from other channels in our playlist, that's a gap in my knowledge. Also if anyone knows a good link to how to set up your YouTube channel with a rockstar setup, that would also help as I agree its about as basic as you can get right now. My original thought was that videos could be sent to TGC (uploaded somewhere) and we select those we like and add to the playlist on a schedule so there is always regular videos to keep an eye out for (hopefully even one day a week eventually)

GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2020 00:27 Edited at: 18th Apr 2020 00:27
Does TGC have a marketing person? Or someone in charge of comms channels? Because I think it should be their responsibility to revamp and manage the YouTube channel, since it is a comms/marketing channel. Valiant though your commitment to YouTube is, Lee, I think we'd all rather have GG Max's lead dev focusing on dev work for the coming months. Doesn't mean you can't continue to supply content for the YouTube channel with sneak peaks and the live broadcasts you've mentioned, but I wouldn't take it upon yourself to actually run the channel unless you absolutely have to. People don't realise the time a YouTube channel takes; the artwork it needs, the community management. This is why I say it should be left to marketeer who knows how to get the best out of the platform, or a comms person who can respond to comments on your behalf.

If I weren't so damn busy right now, I'd offer my services - my rates are very reasonable! - but sadly I'm busier than ever at the moment.

AE
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty sure my channel was on the related channels section at one point. No longer it seems. Not that I'm fussed, the channel makes zero cash anyway, Youtube took that away a few years ago and for the minuscule amount I got anyway, (didn't even cover the cost of the internet) couldn't be bothered to get it back up and running. I put up a video every now and then now, don't really spend much time on it. As a bonus I don't get any copyright bother, which was mostly scammers anyway.

I'm sure people wanting to show their games may be interested though.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2020 03:16 Edited at: 18th Apr 2020 03:26
Quote: "If anyone has a link to how to list videos from other channels in our playlist,"

1. [click] Creator Studio
2. [click] Playlists
3. [click] New Playlist (button - top right)
4. Give Playlist A Name (make sure its public and hit Done)
5. Navigate to 3 dots to the left and click on it
6. [Click] Add Videos
7. Now where it says "Video Search | URL | Your Youtube Videos"
8. You would click URL
9. You then paste the URL of the video you would like to add
10. You then click the Add Video button

Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2020 22:02
Thanks for the tips, worked a charm! I managed to get permission from Sparckman to test add one of his GameGuru videos, this one covering his very first run of the alpha build and his impressions. Here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1q1e3Q9IKMk4nDlAGb_5Jg/playlists

If you have videos on your own YouTube channel you would like to see added to the Community Videos Playlist, just email me directly to lee@thegamecreators.com and if we get a few, we will stagger them and make them a regular announcement to keep the YouTube channel nice and active, thanks!

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2020 23:41
GameGuru MAX Live Streams #2 appears as a private one, it is as expected?
What kind of videos are you talking about?
maybe a complete level or just as a short demo, or perhaps something showing some GG feature working?

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2020 00:51
Pretty much any GameGuru related video that might be of interest to the community, we are happy to showcase any cool stuff out there and put it front and center on our YouTube channel so it's not just me producing stuff

Note: How do you see my private videos on the YouTube channel? I keep the raw live videos private then edit them and make the trimmed one public which is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtwoVzPPas

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2020 02:23
Ok, I've got, thanks Lee.
About the videos, I'll email you when done.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2020 05:01
@ Lee
Video link sent via email, a few minutes ago.

memory mark 2584.8

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:11:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:11:28