Product Chat / New Sneak Peek #07 Video Released!

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 01:22
Hi fellow game makers, here is the latest Sneak Peek video for GameGuru MAX, this time looking at the built-in tutorial system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjnMU62u8g
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh that's pretty cool.
Excellent !!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 02:43
That will help a lot of new users for sure

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 08:37
It's great that you're investing in a tutorial system to help new users, but the layout could be better. The video in the top right is so small it's basically superfluous; either the videos need to be much bigger on screen, or they need to be more than just fullscreen recordings, they need to be cropped in to show specific actions on the screen. Then there are those text boxes on the right. Great idea, but it means users have to glance from a floating orange hand over the map editor to a text box in a panel on the far right. Why not have the steps parented to the cursor itself? That way, users who are watching their cursor will instantly see what they have to do with it to go to the next step.

AE
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 09:13
Is it possible in the future, that NPCs not always look at the player?
Would be good for... city scenes, else the player thinks he's an alien when everybody look at him lol
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 09:35
Quote: "It's great that you're investing in a tutorial system to help new users, but the layout could be better. The video in the top right is so small it's basically superfluous; either the videos need to be much bigger on screen, or they need to be more than just fullscreen recordings, they need to be cropped in to show specific actions on the screen. Then there are those text boxes on the right. Great idea, but it means users have to glance from a floating orange hand over the map editor to a text box in a panel on the far right. Why not have the steps parented to the cursor itself? That way, users who are watching their cursor will instantly see what they have to do with it to go to the next step. "

I thought the exact same thing.
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W10 Home 64-bit, Intel i3-7100 dual-core 3.90GHz, nVidia GTX1050 4Gb, 8Gb ram
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 10:00
Great step forward TGC, have to agree with AE about the video in top right being too small. I would probably ditch the video altogether and just have an interactive tut hand guiding the new user. But that's just me.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 10:30
I like it Lee, even though older GG users will pick things up easily, this is great for the newer users. Nice!
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 13:39
Alright, fudge it, decided to preorder GG Max since I initially bough "Classic" to support TGC anyway.

So let's see where this goes compared to Classic. Looking forward to performance gains and rendering improvements.
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 14:24 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2020 15:12
Quote: "The video in the top right is so small it's basically superfluous; "

Later in the video Lee shows that you can resize the tutorial section and make the video larger. So, you can essentially make it as large as you need. But the idea appears to be that you can have a video and have the application open at the same time and still see both, even if you only have a single, small screen. And since there are the step-by-step buttons, I think the video is only there to further enhance things (i.e. actually show it functioning) if the end-user wants a bit more than the textual step-by-step.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 14:27
Quote: "The video in the top right is so small it's basically superfluous;"

Depends on your monitor and resolution

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
Petr Surtr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 15:02
Is tutorial system just limited to editing tools??

What about:
- Using Character Creator
- Using Model Importer (especially for custom characters animations import)
- Using Building Editor
- Using Lighting
- Using Lua (with a diversified list of ready-to-use scripts for various recurring situations)
- Using DynamicLua
- Using Advanced AI
- Using Advanced Engine Features (Setup.ini/Settings.fx).
- Music and Sounds Implementation
- Windows Mixed Reality Support Section (especially concerning how to properly set the engine to specifically develop vr games and how to set headset's controllers to use them during gameplay in replacement of mouse+keyboard/joypad)
- Building Standalone
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure more will be added, but don't expect anything more than basics to start with.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2020 03:09
As Argent_Arts says, you can resize the video panel to whatever size you like, you can even undock it to a second monitor if you wish, or have it in the background to tab back and forth. The video is not as important as the interactive part though, as that's the one that walks you carefully through the usage of the editor, and these will be no replacement for proper tutorial videos which I hope to provide once the heavy development of MAX is complete.
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2020 09:13
I would still recommend cropping in on those videos to see the important clicks - would make it easier to follow, and menus easier to read.

AE

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:37:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:37:51