Product Chat / Promising of any real tutorial??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to be excited about the next guru engine even i just bought the current version, but may I ask if there are going to be a campaign of solid tutorials for learners?? in the same quality of Unity?? I am a 3D artist, I can create my own model and even animation, and I don't mind learning to code, but there just ain't any solid stuffs out there I can relay on! I want to make classic doom and game like that in game guru, just can't find anything proper out there, I know there are tutorials here and there, but they are not very cohesive and too much on the same basic things, yes, it is good to some people that the videos are showing the basic UI and things like that, what about if I modeled a mancubus and animation of it, how do I import into the game, it's first attack and second mode of attack, etc... if there ain't anything like that official from gamecreator, I think I would pass with the next release, thank you very much. I don't care how good and how easy to make game guru if there are not real solid learning material out there...
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
a good suggestion, perhaps Lee can put out a request for a freelancer to do a game making tutorial series for GG Max
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2020 20:46
Tutorials very useful for the beginner...
. I recommend you get bolt action gaming book... he is a very good writer and does the newsleyter
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro, Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2020 21:04
Well, I know what you mean as I chat with a lot of new users explaining things to them that might seem obvious to people who used the engine for a while but are utterly different to how its done in any other tool out there.

I tried here and there to pen tutorials for users sharing some of my knowledge as you can see in the tutorial section but I think I can speak for every other long term user here, we just don't have the time or motivation to explain the software in detail...this should be up to TGC yet knowing full well that neither Game Guru nor FPSCreator ever had that kind of service. Generally speaking all tutorials covering more advanced features are written only and not in video form. There are also Lee's old twitch streams that have info sprinkled through their run-time here and there but yeah, you'd have to watch hours of material just to get to these breadcrumbs so I'd say thats not really an option.

So while I would be pleasantly surprised if GGMax would bring forth an official tutorials section covering the advanced features as well, I highly doubt it. GG is an engine you figure out on your own and if you have questions along the way, join the discord or post here as the community is generally very helpful if you can precisely explain what you try to do.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I do tutorials on my channel every now and again. Many scripting examples and quite a few on using the editor. Although some are getting on a bit now, but close enough not to warrant updating.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RetroGamebloke
I have a vague idea for a new video, but it's finding the time to put it together
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Petr Surtr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2020 17:46
In my opinion, it would be extremely important to provide, together with the software purchase, an exhaustive manual covering all the main topics.
- Using Terrain Editor
- Using Character Creator
- Using Model Importer (especially for custom characters animations import)
- Using Building Editor
- Using Lighting
- Using Lua (with a diversified list of ready-to-use scripts for various recurring situations)
- Using DynamicLua
- Using Advanced AI
- Using Advanced Engine Features (Setup.ini/Settings.fx)
- Music and Sounds Implementation
- Windows Mixed Reality Support Section
- Building Standalone
Hope other people agree, so that the feature could be a common request: GGX can become a real "crack engine" if itionly only will be provided with basic tools that can allow more people to do cool games with it (not AAA, who cares AAA) but surely good and original games that can be quietly sold.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Max has a built in tutorial system shown in the next sneak Peek.
How extensive I have no idea but keep your eye out for the next video
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Petr Surtr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2020 19:13
@synchromesh, perfect, thanks for update
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh...
They sold GGMAX to schools! I hope it comes with a Textbook!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They sold GGMAX to schools! "

Not yet as it doesnt exist
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2020 20:15
Quote: "Ahhh...
They sold GGMAX to schools! I hope it comes with a Textbook! "

GGMax doesn’t realy exist yet

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2020 20:17 Edited at: 21st Mar 2020 20:17
Snap !!
I Win
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL We're no longer under a NDA for VRQuest!
I think we all know what I'm saying. We all saw the reveal post.
Refer back if needed.
Well, obviously that product for students should include in menu tutorials.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2020 21:48 Edited at: 21st Mar 2020 22:00
Quote: "I think we all know what I'm saying."

Oh VR quest .. Still no not really
That's just an identical cut down version of GG with MP and VR added. All their tutorials are on site.
Nothing there that's different from GG already or relating to Max.
https://education.vrquest.com/how-it-works/#eplay

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess if GGMAX had parents, they would be
Mr. GG Classic and Mrs. VRQuest.

I was really under the impression that VRQuest / HamiltonBuhl nabbed the new
Character Creator UI features, as (maybe just me), but seemed to be alluded to
in a 'goof' post just before VRQuest disclosure came out. But all evidences point
to the contrary!
They got jipped with the old (current) CC! Man... ewh.

PM
Mortt
Years of Service
User Offline
VRQuest looks the same as my past version of GG.
I was thinking of using GG for the same purposes several years ago because it is the best for educational use.

When I first started GG, I couldn't code with LUA or know how to do stuff on GG.
I spent the first 3.5 days watching every tutorial video on you tube on the GG channel. At the end of the fourth day, at about 4 PM i wrote my first GG LUA code, and it worked. Was I so excited. Awesome. Since then been playing away and making stuff that is miles away from a first person shooter. Like 4x top down game like Civilization. And, tons of research stuff that needs graphical output. GG is awesome.
(Custom) Intel i7 3.3 Mhz. 16 GB fast ram. EVGA Nvidia 1050 Ti 4GB. Dell US27 2560 x 1440. Dell 24 1920 x 1080. Awesome.
Next G. Card EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 PCIe3.0 Graphics Card.
Would Like EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X PCIe3.0 Graphics Card
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2020 01:37
@keithtam : I agree we need more tutorials. Check out the Sneak Peek #07 which covers the new built-in tutorial system, which provides integrated context help within the editor, but I suspect you want a series of lectures on each aspect, not only of the UI controls but game making in general. A great idea, we just need to figure out who does it. Are you recommending I should do this instead of developing the engine? As you know we are a small team and curious about how you would solve this operational issue with a finite budget?

@Mortt : Thanks for your comments. Really happy we had a small part in your discovery of game making

GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:28:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:28:09