Product Chat / [LOCKED] [SOLVED] Release GameGuru as an Unreal Engine Asset Pack

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 19:27
Quote: "Except it's not.

When we were told about it originally we were told that it was the gameguru team working on it, it is being worked on as a branch of the gameguru GitHub, and it was inferred that it was to be a feature of gameguru.

It now turns out, according to what has been let slip despite the NDA, that it is not part of gameguru but a separate app based on gameguru.

Which means they have redirected resources from gameguru to work on it, thus directly effecting us and the development of gameguru.

It's not even really the resources that are an issue for me, if this info that we've just been given is true, it's the subterfuge that annoys me, if they'd been up front to begin with I wouldn't be so annoyed."

Nothing was let slipped, in fact there are a bunch of public clues out there already. You fail to grasp, that gameguru can still very well have the same VR updates or not, nothing has been said or confirmed in this regard.......and most of all you are speculating.......knowing absolutely nothing, basing your opinion on speculation, that is good for no one. The issue is license especially for the VR being used. Gameguru as it stands belongs entirely to TGC every license, every line of code, bring in a 3rd party you end up with limitations, license conditions ect.

There is very likely why a different approached was used. I know exactly what is different between the two, and to be honest it is none of your's or any one's business.Again the sense of entitlement.

Quote: "Which means they have redirected resources from gameguru to work on it, thus directly effecting us and the development of gameguru."

Again they can do whatever they want, when ever they want, without asking your permission. They can shutdown this forum tomorrow, or make it EOL if they wanted to.I shouldn't have to remind you X10, has had the shortest shelve life of any TGC product.Was a year or two and it was canned, classic FPSC still received updates after it was canned.

TGC owes you NOTHING, they can, and will eventually decide to stop support for the product, when ever they feel like it, whether bugs have been fixed entirely or none at all. They have ZERO obligation to explain ANY thing to anyone.They can release a Gameguru version 2.0 tomorrow and charge you for it, and stop support immediate for the first version.

Whether they use the entire internet to develop a product, it still has nothing to do with you. It is their business, their right to do as they see fit, you are the customer, know your place.
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Best for all is to just wait for an official response or some official info.
Speculation is just a guessing game ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 20:07 Edited at: 1st Jan 2020 20:07
You should make that little rant a thread if it's own Wiz, you could call it "how to alienate your customers and commit commercial suicide in one easy step" it'd be a hit

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 20:12
As I said above, Mr Lee is time to move, speculations and rumours never be good.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "As I said above, Mr Lee is time to move, speculations and rumours never be good.
"

Mr. Lee is probably on a lost island in the pacific right now and i really doubt it will read this thread or something related to it before alomst other 15 days..
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Mr. Lee is probably on a lost island in the pacific right now "

Ye in his front room with his VR head set on
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 21:04 Edited at: 1st Jan 2020 21:11
Quote: "TGC owes you NOTHING"

While it is true, should be careful with such claims when it comes to GG.
GameGuru is a reincarnation of a product (FPSC:R) that was funded by this community and was never delivered but instead it was rebranded and reframed in to what we know today as "GameGuru the easy game maker for everyone" and now there is a debate regarding the facts and the past.

Regardless, I agree we should wait before come to any conclusion. As I mentioned maybe, we were not supposed to know about this educational VR project if it was really funded by a 3rd party and will be published by a 3rd party on a separated website.
And maybe the only reason GameGuru is getting VR is that fact this 3rd party company did fund the development of this VR product based on GameGuru otherwise we would be not getting it. I mean those who brave enough to make a VR game in GameGuru

I advice everyone to calm the f* down, Leave Mr Lee alone and let him have a rest for once and wait for official announcements from the TGC team.

Until then, enjoy the wonders GameGuru has to offer.
PM
Unknown Nomad Studio
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 21:09 Edited at: 1st Jan 2020 21:15
Sorry, but I had to step in, again
Quote: "There is NO obligation on TGC's part to release development updates or fixes every day, week, month or year.In honestly TGC is far too open and should take a much harder stance, and approach updates and fixes like valve approached half life.When it is good and ready.
"

Yes, if they released FPS Creator Reloaded back in 2013 with all featrures present in Unreal Engine 4 at the time and countinuously updated the product, there will not be threads like this.

Quote: "You don't see either Unreal or unity users demand to know when the next update or fixes will be released. Quite heavily against the entitlement we as community seem to have, that NO other community has with regards to their software."

1) Those engines have a clear roadmap
2) If those engines would have fatal issues like lack of realtime global illumination or memory leaking, yet more side projects are being created you would see threads like this pop. ALOT!
3) Those engines can produce very high quality games with talent and effort right now

Quote: "it is none of your's or any one's business.Again the sense of entitlement."

Actually, those that pledged to FPS Creator Reloaded are essecially tiny shareholder. And those shareholders, considering that GameGuru is considered an unfinished product, have right to know what's going on.

Quote: "Again they can do whatever they want, when ever they want, without asking your permission. They can shutdown this forum tomorrow, or make it EOL if they wanted to.I shouldn't have to remind you X10, has had the shortest shelve life of any TGC product.Was a year or two and it was canned, classic FPSC still received updates after it was canned.

TGC owes you NOTHING, they can, and will eventually decide to stop support for the product, when ever they feel like it, whether bugs have been fixed entirely or none at all. They have ZERO obligation to explain ANY thing to anyone.They can release a Gameguru version 2.0 tomorrow and charge you for it, and stop support immediate for the first version."

They can do that, however, there will be severe consequences for doing that. It happened in the past too, so you can inform yourself.

Quote: "you are the customer, know your place."

We know our place. Without us, there will be no TGC. You should know your place too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lPW13HoLRw
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 21:23
Quote: "I advice everyone to calm down, Leave Mr Lee alone and let him have a rest for once and wait for official announcements from the TGC team.

Until then, enjoy the wonders GameGuru has to offer."

Indeed. This thread is locked until there is an official response to several points raised here.
Thank you.
Zigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2020 21:27 Edited at: 1st Jan 2020 21:30
Quote: "We know our place. Without us, there will be no TGC. "

This claim might be true from a certain angle but doesn't show a lot of respect toward the person who really made this possible.
TGC exist because one person had a dream and that person had the skills and courage to make that dream a reality and we owe gratitude for this person. Even now in the dark times, he did not give up, did not walk away but instead bring cutting edge technologies to us like PBR rendering, realistic physics simulation and VR for the price of a cup of coffee. So remember this when you make such bold claims.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2020 15:03
Hi Everyone,

The first day back from my Christmas brain reboot and found a link to this thread in my inbox (now down to 8 emails - yay). Alas, I had to spend a good while reading through it, and as a veteran of the early forum days, it looked like this one got pretty toastie! I have missed the 'end of year address' opportunity for 2019, but I have made a note to do something along these lines in December 2020 as a sort of recap of what we are planning to do in 2020.

To answer the original proposal, there are no plans to recreate GameGuru in either Unity or Unreal. We have explored this option a few times over the years, but for various reasons, we always gravitated back to creating, maintaining and ultimately owning our own tech IP. It may not be the best decision given the amazing choice we now have at our disposal, but I dare say it relates to the old-school mentality of creating stuff from 'pretty much' scratch just to see how it works. I do think some kind of 'easy to use' add-on for Unity and Unreal are cool ideas, and no doubt you will have a massive audience to sell to, but speaking personally, I have a few more things I would like to try with GameGuru before throwing in the 'make your own game engine' towel forever.

The spin-off conversations were too many to track for me to make any reasonable contribution to, but most lines of inquiry seemed to be tied up nicely, and ultimately came back to the simple truth that GameGuru is a rather slow plodding thing and you either like it or don't like it, and either through morbid fascination or a belief in the idea, most of you are not ready to leave just yet and want to see what poor old Lee can pull out of his hat to keep the good ship GameGuru sailing in a sea now populated with game making mega-tankers and billion-dollar yachts. Our oddly-shaped craft might be an underpowered, leaky, creeky, understaffed, overworked, aging Man-of-war, but it nonetheless bobs about above the waves and has succeeded in doing so while much grander, well-funded frigates crashed, burned and sank in the two decades TGC has operated. We must be doing 'some' things right!

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the posts from Wizard Of ID were well-intentioned attempts to calm the waters without revealing information provided to him under NDA, had the opposite effect of creating more questions and concerns over the future of GameGuru, and resurrecting our annual tradition of asking the question 'is GameGuru to be abandoned'. Hopefully, this question is summarily answered from my above comments, and I hope to pre-empt further speculation with a separate forum post in January once I have a draft approved by my management team to make sure we keep my ramble as unambiguous as possible. In respect to the reference to an educational product, this is a project TGC has been in partnership with for over ten years and started its life as an early version of FPS Creator modded to run a very basic VR headset (naturally with the guns and violence removed). Just as AGK development benefits our No.1 Driving Test app (and vice versa), any product which demands development to the GameGuru engine benefits GameGuru, creating a win-win which generates more revenue for the continued development of the tech, which traditionally comes to you as free GG updates. Long may it continue! You will not have to wait much longer for the 'grand reveal' which I suspect will replace any residual speculation with a fresh new slew of comments, criticisms, concerns and a general cacophony of confusion which I will be happy to answer as needed.

It's a pity this message comes to you as the terminator to such a turbulent thread, but we must use the soapboxes as given to us, and in a way, it's fitting that my post attempts to provide specifics within the restrictions currently placed on me, while at the same time offering some encouragement and hope for the year ahead.
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:31:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:31:05