Product Chat / Cant get myself to Carry on with my maps / games.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 20:01
Most of my maps are basically between 80 and 90% finished, all that is left is the game play part . in my case i am not only just relying on Ai's that just have to shoot back at the player, but i also have game play were i need Npc's That needs to talk and have better interact animations as well, and this is the point were i become stuck because i, we do not have these kind of Npcs available jet, and it make me sad because i also do not have the skills to make characters like that or even to import them easily as well, So every time i open one of my maps to try and do something it makes me depressed and sad , and at the end i just end up closing my maps again with out doing anything on it. At this point i have lost my ( if i can call it like this , Hunger ) for making games and just don't feel the passion and excitement as i use to feel. I don't blame anyone or person for this, i just thought i want to share my frustration with some of you.
I really hope things will change in the future so i can stop feeling like this.
I hope the rest of you also do not have these obstacles from stopping you to make your dream come true.

Pcs
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 20:22
I feel your pain because I feel the same way -- 100%. I'm a point in my life that I will probably never finish a game anyway. That's because I'm old. So, I just do what I can and to keep my mind active. It's good to get something like what you're feeling off your chest.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 23:23 Edited at: 29th Oct 2019 23:24
Game Guru does seem very much tailored towards a shooter experience, which makes it hard to develop games without a combat element. This is one of the reasons I drifted away from developing my game, Ignite. Yes, there were technical hurdles that were proving difficult to overcome. But one of the main reasons I stopped working on it was because it was very difficult to come up with gameplay that wasn't shooting stuff or derivatives of "find this key", "press this button", or "collect enough of this item". Game Guru has always seemed a bit limited in that regard. These other gameplay mechanics are all theoretically possible in LUA, but are harder to implement.

I too wish we had NPCs that could lip-sync dialogue, and the ability to create dialogue trees without doing it in LUA. Would really open up new storytelling and world-building opportunities for our games.

AE
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 13:11 Edited at: 30th Oct 2019 13:23
We had this in FPS Creator x9

However it required a new model and external software to render the lip-sync file. Interesting enough it worked very similar to how Bethesda software renders out its lip sync file system. In the Bethesda games if you give characters dialogue they wont move their mouths at all by default until a lip sync sequence file is generated.

If you are using the masked soldiers they do have gesture animations you could use.

There is no engine today that provides characters with talking animations or lip-sync (other than FPSCx9). So this is not a Game Guru limitation. In this case you'd need to hire a 3D Modeler to either make your characters or modify an existing one to create a mouth. You'd than need to have an animation cycle for the mouth movements and force that with LUA when you want your character to talk, using the LoopAnimation command and give it a duration based on the length of audio (or/and text) of your dialogue.

If you were to go this route id just use a simple open and close mouth animation like they used in Morrowwind:

I've played around a bit with dialogue in FPSCx9 and it was fun to be able to use lip sync. But honestly even a none moving mouth i think is still passable in Game Guru in my opinion:

Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 13:24 Edited at: 30th Oct 2019 13:26
Quote: "There is no engine today that provides characters with talking animations or lip-sync (other than FPSCx9)."

Unity has add-ons you can download from the stroe to add lip sync.

LipSync Pro is an editor extension for creating high-quality lipsyncing and facial animation inside Unity.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/lipsync-pro-32117

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 14:28
Looks like lipsync might be in GG at some point, see Github, branch=ProjectV3

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 15:11
There we go

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 15:36
The alpha code works really well, I was impressed. Not just lip sync, really smooth head turning slerping into body turn and side stepping anims to face player. Very cool addition.

Cheers.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 17:23
Very good news.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 17:54
ProjectV3 looks interesting....

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 18:03
Dont give up!

Here is what I do sometimes:

I search the forum for scripts that might be a huge addition to the game!
There are tons of em scattered around!

Just look for them, you will always find at least 1 for your game!

cheers
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I know-- same way. Shoot at all moving entities gets stale eventually,
so I too try to come up with some kind of variety to script for a game.

If a video is appropriate for your story, you could try FaceRig on Steam.
On Sale today. Pretty high quality facial animation including eyes.
There are a limited number of characters ready to use, and you are
supposed to be able to make custom ones. Look for the Warriors DLC
for examples...
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Also of interest, (for video again) though I personally don't have experience
with it is the free to use Source Film Maker, where you can animate characters
in a place setting-- unlimited kinds of ways. My son uses it to create goofy stuff with
the Team Fortress2 characters- and post it to Youtube.

It would be very interesting if someone found a way to emplace the primary
GG characters into that. It's a major piece of software, already to go.

PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 19:09
Quote: "Looks like lipsync might be in GG at some point, see Github, branch=ProjectV3"

This sound promising.
I will not give up , but right now its rely frustrating and not nice. but i will not give up.
I will wait for this lipsync that is coming.
( Good things will come to those who will wait )
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 19:49
Trying to make a story rather than a run and gun or a hack and slash is *hard*, even with a full questing/dialogue/inventory UI system. Having to hack code to make it happen is even harder.
Daunting in a wholly strange environment - even for those with a coding background.
The trick is to not try to jump over the mountain in a single bound or eat the elephant. Little steps, don't look down, don't look up. It'll make things seem impossible. Take small bites and chew it well.
If you want to make a quest, and you don't want to buy scripts that you don't understand, watch broadcast #15 on how to make a simple fetch quest. Mimic Lee's little project. Do it several times 'till you're comfortable with how the quest is built.
Follow Ravey's video #27 if you want to understand how to make a kill quest.
You *will* find that suddenly, one day, it all clicks and you'll be away.

I spent 40 years in IT having to deal with stuff that I'd not encountered before. It was *always* scary, but I learned to swallow my fear, concentrate on the single problem I had to solve today and ignore the big picture.

Sorry to preach but believe me, I sympathise with you.

I intend making a friendly front end to make building quests easier. It will give users a simple GUI and generate the scripts you need. There'll still be work for you to do in assigning the scripts to the entities involved - my attempts to hack the fpm have so far been unsuccessful.

But all in all, decide you're going to build one quest - a simple one, and don't stop 'till you have. Then walk away and have a beer.
You can't teach an old dog.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 19:56 Edited at: 30th Oct 2019 19:59
The truth is that even a simple dialogue cutscene like you'd see in a PSX/PS2 game takes at least a year of expertise in animation, sound design, so forth to be decent. A GG user that did a lot in this regard is Avenging Eagle.

There are many ways you can design your game around that. Seeing characters behind some obstruction like bars or windows, having characters talk to you via Comline that you only personally see rarely, looping an idle animation or text based dialogues which you still see frequently in lower budget/indie title. If it worked for games like STALKER or TES3, it likely works for a GG title.

Be sure to write a story that has characters but limit interaction. There is, of course, enough software out there to lipsynch and animate a talking character but it all has its pros and cons and it all requires some time investment. And don't even remotely get inspiration from modern games with fully animated and perfectly voiced characters... it took the industry a long time to get there and its certainly out of reach for the majority of hobbyists.

Quote: "
I too wish we had NPCs that could lip-sync dialogue, and the ability to create dialogue trees without doing it in LUA. Would really open up new storytelling and world-building opportunities for our games. "

Well, it CAN be done in LUA but ... I get ya. I always advocated for a simple in-app feature that allows us to do this (something that generates a script that can then be implemented.) I mean, RPGmaker had this for 20 years but whenever I bring it up to people who make 3D game engines, I might have as well introduced myself as Jangles, the moon monkey.

-Wolf
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 20:05 Edited at: 30th Oct 2019 20:10
Quote: "f a video is appropriate for your story, you could try FaceRig on Steam. On Sale today. "

Oh god no don't fall for that one at £6.49
Game development requires the FaceRig Studio licence at … £280 with VAT

https://secure.avangate.com/order/checkout.php?PRODS=4703823&QTY=1&CART=1&CARD=1
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 20:34
Quote: "The truth is that even a simple dialogue cutscene like you'd see in a PSX/PS2 game takes at least a year of expertise in animation, sound design, so forth to be decent. A GG user that did a lot in this regard is Avenging Eagle."

And mine didn't even have lipsyncing characters!

AE
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
if lip sync was the only real miss of gameguru ..if should be a great goal LOL
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2019 11:10
So, Teabone. When do you reckon the scripts will get onto the store? I had a look ust now and couldn't spot them.
You can't teach an old dog.
New Emperor
Years of Service
User Offline
prehaps you are tring to run befor you can walk howlong have you been using GG i have been uning it for about 2 weeks now and thismorning i made a good littel game (for a noob) called the infected it was just kill the monsters get to the safe zone (it's a bit like doom but with malee wepons) tey making one of those forst nothing too taxing the go from there.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/microsoft.png
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2019 13:23
Yeah try not too be too ambitious with this engine. Work within its means with what it provides at the moment. Cause if you try to push it too much it can sometimes break

I've dozens of unfinished GG projects due to being too ambitious. So for the moment I'm keeping it simple and working with what i know works and with ease.

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Nov 2019 12:24
@New Emperor , if you look at my years of service you will see how long i have been working with GG. and i am not prepared to put out a game that has been made just in two weeks, GG is part of my life i will not put out a crappy game to make GG name bad. i think you are trying to run before you can walk. i have worked hard for the last 3 years to make a good game. if you were arround here before you would know. you can not make a game in two weeks time and put it out on the internet and make a bad name for GG.!
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
If you have problems with the animations for gestures, I can help you. All I need is your character in T-pose. I can provide them with some animations that have little or nothing to do with combat. I've had bad experiences with lip syncing so far. I still have not found a reasonable way to get NPCs to answer my questions. Since my knowledge is not available. But there is an easy way to create conversations via video. With "CRAZY TALK" you can do a lot. Should try something with it. Or the easiest way to ask your questions so that your conversation partner can also show your back. But you would have to create suitable scripts.
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Nov 2019 17:41
Lafette II, thank you for your offer, will get back to you on that one.
Good to see you are up and busy, hope you are well my friend.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 04:45:55
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 04:45:55