Third Party Tools / Heightmap importer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 16:11
Looking at this thread :-
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218876

Is there an update to the status of this?

Can I get a working copy?
You can't teach an old dog.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 16:23
yes, you can get a copy of the latest version, please PM me your email address and I can send to you as soon as possible.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
me too please
PC Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2019 21:17
emails now sent. @JC LEON-I will send Weapon Welder and other apps as soon as possible, need to sort some files, but you will get them soon.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
OK MANY thanks in advance..
PC Specs:
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there...
Sounds very interesting. And I love heightmaps.
Can I get a copy too, please?
PM
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2019 10:08 Edited at: 11th Sep 2019 11:50
Excellent stuff BotR!
Heightmap import enables all kinds of wcky worlds that would otherwise be too labour intensive to create:-
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1731680957
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1733848546

These are from my work on heightmaps for RPG World. Great fun.

Now I just have to turn them into games . . .
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2019 19:32
@bored if you have stable copies I'll happily host them on my google drive.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2019 15:28
@fumar: of course, no problem ,please feel free to PM me with your email address and I can send you a link (valid for 24hrs only).

@BAG: thanks for the offer, I still have the tools stored on both my google drive + BTCloud
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 12:59
@Fumar: PM/email now sent with link. Hope you like it.
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot, @Bored...

Unfortunately the tool cannot be started, because GG is installed on another hard disk. I created a hm2mdat.ini with the correct path under C:\, but that didn't help either.
What else can I do? So except reinstalling GG on C:\...
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 15:09 Edited at: 18th Sep 2019 15:49
@fumar: Yes, the program looks at your registry to see where GameGuru is installed and has to be a valid steam path so that it runs on genuine copy of GameGuru, so if you have a dodgy copy, it won't work. Not saying your copy is dodgy BTW

[edit-last suggestion wouldn't work as the manually created steam path still wouldn't be stored in the registry unless you manually edited the registry- not for the faint-hearted ]

fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
No, I don't have a dodgy copy, @Bored. Bought GG on steam. Have a look to the screenshots.

I reinstalled GG on E:\, restarted the pc, but it didn't help. Not even as an admin.
Now I'll try to move GG to C:\. If I can find some free place... :-P

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "last suggestion wouldn't work as the manually created steam path still wouldn't be stored in the registry unless you manually edited the registry- not for the faint-hearted"

Do you know where to set the path in the registry? I would just do that manually.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 16:57
Yes I know the registry paths but depend on your OS 64 or 32 bit ... not sure mods would welcome me putting registry path for GG here though .
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
I searched the registry and all paths found were set correctly. (E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Game Guru\*)
In the meantime I've moved the installation directory to C:\ via steam. And there you go: Now it also works with your tool. I guess it doesn't recognize the correct path if the default directory isn't selected.
But I would prefer to install GG back to E:\ because C:\ is quite a small SSD for me.
And now I'll test your tool...

Thanks again for this tool.

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 17:12
Yes , I think I might update the code to work with custom install paths , originally I had the .ini store gg install path no matter where it was.
fumar
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yes , I think I might update the code to work with custom install paths , originally I had the .ini store gg install path no matter where it was. "

I think this would be a good solution, because not everyone can handle that like I did...
People forget to make a backup etc...
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 18:03
Ok I'll revert to the way it was. Update on it's way. Will email you guys. Thanks
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 18:40
If you've a mind to develop this further BotR, I'd like to be able to insert new terrain features into an existing map - for instance make a huge terrain pyramid somewhere in the map.
The way I'd see it happening would be to reserve either black or white as an 'ignore this pixel' marker.

What do you think?
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 19:44 Edited at: 18th Sep 2019 19:50
[edit-somehow posted in wrong place on my phone-so doing it by laptop this time and in the correct place, sorry]
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2019 19:54
@benjiboy-interesting idea, but don't know if I want to do any more with the program.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi BOTR! Could I please request a copy of the Height Map generator.
I would really like to check it out! Thanks.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2019 12:29
@GubbBlips-sure, pls send me PM with your email address. thanks.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2019 09:15
Hi all, once you receive temp links and downloaded, I recommend you backing up the tool files somewhere as from the end of next week, I will not be sending out any more links. cheers.
Dunvel
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi BOTR.

Sorry to bother you with this, especially since you mentioned that you won't be sending out any more links to your Heightmap-Importer-Tool.

I just bought a copy of Michael Matthew Messina's book "An Introduction to GameGuru". In the book he references directly to your tool for importing heightmaps to GameGuru. I really wanted to check that out but unfortunately there is no working link to be found.

Is there any way to download it still? Or maybe some of the other users who received a link over this thread might be allowed to share it?

Again, sorry to bother you. I hope there is a way to get a hold of your tremendously useful tool.

Thanks!
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2019 20:08
@Dunvel-please PM me your email address and I'll send you a link.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2019 15:25
Ah yeah, sorry. At the time, BOTR had links active. He's gone private as you can see now. Perhaps in the future someone will add a heightmapper to the actual github code.
Unfortunately that's not something I can retract now that it's published. Also, thank you for purchasing my book!

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2019 16:01 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2019 16:03
@all, I have started again to add C code to the Github source for the Heightmap importer (my own copy so you won't see the code on github yet on a separate branch), which is partly why I moved back from the forums and providing less links to the old external app version. Other personal stuff has made me put a lot of stuff on the backburner and my GG interest dwindled somewhat. Hopefully I can gain more focus on this tool and bring it more up to date. No idea if any of the above made sense but oh well.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2019 16:33
Ah I see. Well, good luck. I'd love to see a built in heightmap importer, or worst case integration into Graphix's tool.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2019 17:03
I've now created a branch on Github (under user redagent101 and not BOTR) for the Heightmap_Importer code. At the moment, I've not added my code to this branch, it's simply a copy of the master branch at the moment. Once, I'm happy with my custom code, I will push my source onto the github branch using Sourcetree. I'm hoping to take a new interest in GG
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2019 20:35
Glad to here you active again Bored of the Rings

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTXâ„¢ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2019 11:27 Edited at: 24th Oct 2019 11:51
thanks Dave.

Just a couple of screenshots to show that I have begun this task. Got to refresh my memory on some of the GG source code as I need to use the internal GG GUI to work with this app. At the moment the menu item will trigger just a menu prompt, not very exciting, but I gotta get my source code to interact with GG and theres a lot of code to implement.

Attachments

GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure it's worth the wait for the update!

BOTR; "I'd love to see a built in height-map importer,
or worst case integration into Graphix's tool."

Don't you mean best case?! GG seems already struggling to manage
it's memory and asset allocations (Stand-alone reliability is a big question
STILL!) for what it's doing currently. So just considering... anyhow will be
happy to get this!

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2019 11:22
To get the ball rolling, I have done a small push to Github, just with my initial code so far as shown above. As I have a wee toddler, working on this will be as and when I can as work is also busy.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2019 14:43
Very nice. Thank you.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
cool great work bod
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 09:12 Edited at: 29th Oct 2019 09:14
Quote: "cool great work bod"

ha, made me laugh that, as my wee boy looks at the old video "Bod" covers (animated childrens program from the 80s) and you ask him , "who's that?" and he says "dada".
We also think of him as a "Bodler" which is more than a baby but not quite a full todler yet as such

Anyway, sidetracking...... thanks JC LEON, more to do when I get time. The menu bit is the easy bit. getting my code to fit in with the GG source code is going to be the harder bit (possibly).

I will of course, make sure there are no memory leaks and that resource is kept to a minimum, so need to think some stuff through first.

all the best
BOTR
Mike
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 18:02
I'm looking forward to this BotR.
I never took the time to accquire Cpp skills - now it's too late so I'm relying on guys like you to add the features that, (I think) really ought to be built in to the engine - questing, inventory, multipath path dialogue, factioning.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2019 19:35 Edited at: 29th Oct 2019 19:36
Yes, looking forward to getting this done. I will probably fix any existing memory leaks and other issues as I work with the source code. I can spot issues fairly quickly these days. I will be testing the waters ie seeing how gg performance stands while running my code , so this will all be fun. Might add in a few more tools depending how well the heightmap import goes
So let's get going , ,,
MK83
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2019 15:42
BOTR, your AWESOME
AMD Phenom x4 9850 2.70 Ghz , 6 Gb ram, 2GB EVGA Geforce GTX 750, Win 10 x64 Passmark score: 3091

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2019 11:11
Link to HM2GG v4.0 (last version with map split) as I'm still getting requests:

I will leave it here until end of week before removing,

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/lzOd20qpkW
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2019 14:42
Thank you.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2019 05:42
Awesome will get that pronto.

Been playing with an older version the last couple days, using Bryce to create the height maps. The results are varied, but with some fine tuning this could be an awesome tool.

Apart from smoothing issues (some have lots of stepped ridges happening) this already gives great looking terrain.

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2019 11:59
Thanks you BOTR.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
benjiboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2019 19:44
I had forgotten about Bryce. I bought it years agao as part of a package and found myself daunted by the thickness of the manual. I shall have to unearth it and try again, now I have time on my hands.
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Nov 2019 17:27 Edited at: 18th Nov 2019 17:28
a shame i have missed it, to late link is no more.
https://forum.game-guru.com/outbound?url=https%3A%2F%2Fbtcloud.bt.com%2Fweb%2Fapp%2Fshare%2Finvite%2FlzOd20qpkW
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2019 21:34 Edited at: 18th Nov 2019 21:37
@BOR finish it and sell it
Apart from smoothing issues (some have lots of stepped ridges happening) this already gives great looking terrain.
- Heightmap created in Bryce.
- Had to go over with smoothing tool in GG, but it looks fantastic in-game..

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.

Attachments

PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2019 09:13
@Oldflak-I will be looking into the smoothing issues and make update(s). I think Cybernescence is working on a Heightmap importer tool also so it looks like I won't be needing to add this tool to the main GG source code now. I will be making updates to other tools and really want to get the FPI to LUA converter updated even if it's just for my own goals.

If anyone has any ideas of what they want to see in GG as a tool whether it be part of the source code or an external app, please feel free to let me know, I need more challenges
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2019 11:23 Edited at: 20th Nov 2019 11:24
@Oldflak, nice looking terrain.

So am currently looking to upgrade this tool to fix smoothing issue , plus other features such as fusing input images together for map splitting purpose so each quadrant will represent a different map. For purchasing the next major version, please PM with details on how to pay. Price will be low not sure yet, between 5-10 UK pounds.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:45:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:45:28