Product Chat / [SOLVED] Time to come back?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2019 21:17 Edited at: 31st Aug 2019 22:03
Hi to all my old friends
I'm JC LEON and as maybe many of you could remember i was a GG and fpsc supporter for many years in the past (from 2010).
I will be always really grateful to Lee ,TGc and all FPSC and GG community since thanks to fpsc I entered in the world of game creating..
Btw from about 2 years i left GG since I needed a more compelte creation platform and switched to Unity 3d , learned c#, created my adventure survival horror fps game(with fps mechanis, invetory, interaction system ,Ai and so on) and i'm very happy with it ..But....

I always hoped GG a day could be in the state i could create a fully funxtional game with it...

from time in time I always checked the GG forums and news in the past but now I sincerly would to return to GG since i miss tis great community , My MATES....

so from about two days i lurked the forums to try to understand which is the real development state of GG from last two years and sincerly i cannot managed to understand too much...

i watched so many little standalone system (inventory from smallg, underwater system, ad so on) but are these integraed in the build right now or are wip??

specifically has gameguru:

1- swimming underwater system
2- fully working particle system
3- inventory system
4- lightning system
5- is support for multitextured model added(static meshes with multiple textures)
6- is possible to have the GameGuru - Enhanced Weapons Pack without gloves skin for hans( it may seems a stupid question but is necessary to maintain a coherence with other TGc weapons on the store yet (standard weapons and melee weapons)
7- is ladder climbing and eventually parkour system possibles?
8- and why no great modelers on the forum create any flashlight with hands model to use in our projects?? LOL

as far you know is a good choice invest my time to restudy the GG systems again ? are there really real opportunities to make a complete professional full game with it?
i dont mean graphical assets since i know how to import them by myself and use in GG whichever format they are
i mean scripting possiiblties and gameplay possibilties..

soryy for my bad english and a great Hello to everyone...
PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
hi again, short answer is no but don't let it stop you staying part of the community, i use unity for my projects too but i still stick around the GG forums and help out with scripting when i can, there's no laws that say you must be actively using GG for a project and you can certainly use the knowledge you have gained over the last 2 years to improve your own (and others) projects in GG even if they can't be the fully fledged games you dream of yet or even just give Lee and co some constructive feedback on things you want to see improved in GG based on your time away - the above is a fine list to start with but flesh it out with some details and post it on github (or post here and ask someone else to post it if you don't use github, like myself)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hi again, short answer is no but don't let it stop you staying part of the community, i use unity for my projects too but i still stick around the GG forums and help out with scripting when i can, there's no laws that say you must be actively using GG for a project and you can certainly use the knowledge you have gained over the last 2 years to improve your own (and others) projects in GG even if they can't be the fully fledged games you dream of yet or even just give Lee and co some constructive feedback on things you want to see improved in GG based on your time away - the above is a fine list to start with but flesh it out with some details and post it on github (or post here and ask someone else to post it if you don't use github, like myself) "

hi and thanks for your reply, i didnt know you using Unity 3D too other than GG..do you have ongoing projects?
btw afaik which of the question of my list have positive answers??
PC Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2019 17:45
hi JC
long time no see
welcome back....

Harry
Harry
When nothing goes right, go left
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hi and thanks for your reply, i didnt know you using Unity 3D too other than GG..do you have ongoing projects?"

yep, unity is great
not really into big game projects as i know those are nearly impossible for 1 man alone to complete so i generally do small projects for learning and fun and i do occasionally post updates on my youtube (depends on the project and if i feel it would be interesting to share or not) - currently working on a 3D pinball game but there's no video of it yet (hopefully next week ) and before that i had been playing with my oculus quest & unity lately for my last few projects
starwars type VR game i was working on but it's on hold at the moment

fruit ninja clone

Quote: "btw afaik which of the question of my list have positive answers??"

1- swimming underwater system : still needs animations but there's been work on it script-wise to support some basic swimming
2- fully working particle system : this is working in GG
3- inventory system : no standard GG inventory and not likely to happen anytime soon but as you said already, there are 3rd party systems
4- lightning system : yes as long as you don't mind the missing dynamic shadows
5- is support for multitextured model added(static meshes with multiple textures) : this is just bad practice, UV mapping is tough but essential for performance
6- is possible to have the GameGuru - Enhanced Weapons Pack without gloves skin for hans( it may seems a stupid question but is necessary to maintain a coherence with other TGc weapons on the store yet (standard weapons and melee weapons) : i remember this being requested when the pack was released
7- is ladder climbing and eventually parkour system possibles? : in stock? no, with some scripting yes.
8- and why no great modelers on the forum create any flashlight with hands model to use in our projects?? LOL : +1, especially when dynamic shadows get added, let's create some horror games!
lua guide for GG
windows 10
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Harry , yes i was long time away from GG metioned reasons but I issed GG and especially all of yiu above everything..
I'm planning to return to work with gg again but i'm very worried abouttaht since i monetized yet thanks thanks to unity (not so much but I only worked on it on my scrace spare time during nights) and i dont think i could make some money with GG right now..
I have a medium size ongoing project on unity right now and dont want to restart it from scratch on another engine especially if i dont have the complete tools to make it happen ...we will see

@smallg Hi again mate , I saw your video and they are really cool .. i think you have capabilities(sure more than me) to embark in a serious complete project in unity.. and the same you could do in Gg eventually... LOL
thanks for your reply on my questions.. hope i dont ask to much if i ask some others..
1- about swimming is there a complete system wit underwater shader and player oxygen when underwater?
2- about dynamc shadows i saw a post where Preben added them to GG losader on 2018 and talked about he add them too GG ..nothing since then?
3- about GameGuru - Enhanced Weapons Pack since the bare hands without gloves was a requested feature no one made anything?

PC Specs:
PM
Kitakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
1. no
2.no
3. the enhanced weapon pack has a bunch of different hands including bare hands (no gloves)
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2019 09:55 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2019 09:55
I don’t remember any hands without gloves in this weapons pack

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2019 12:36 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2019 12:37
It was created by EAI Media as a third party DLC so I guess it was up to him what he hands he supplied.
Im not sure it was ever officially planned ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2019 13:32
Here you go

Quote: "Errant AI

The user swappable-ness(??) Is for maps only and not meshes. So, there will always be gloves of some sort."

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Errant AI

The user swappable-ness(??) Is for maps only and not meshes. So, there will always be gloves of some sort.""

sadly yes i supposed it was this way.. since model and weapons are one single model i think and so only texture can be replaced...
PC Specs:
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I recently did the same thing. I came back after years away. I left because I got too frustrated with the pace of progress. If I'm honest I still don't see much in the way of new features. However, I have come to realise that if you're willing to get your hands dirty and learn some Lua and modelling you can usually find a way to do what you want.

And the GG community is second to none. There's always someone willing to help when you get stuck.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And the GG community is second to none. There's always someone willing to help when you get stuck."

is the first cause i returned to GG..i love the GG community i always feel at home when are in GG boards...

is better the community that software LOL

this caould be visble in old fpsc x9 forum since some pepole are raising it to great standards and features..but is sad see old fpsc x9 ( a discontinued engine) has more features and improvements than an ongoing and paid engine

as ican i saw there are some great systems on the way like swimming and dynamic shadows and they nare from start of 2018 ..now are on end of 2019 and nothing new about that.. sad..
PC Specs:
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
btw after some researches i realized that is not time to come back LOL
too many quality of live and features missing atm..
maybe I'm used to it too well with unity 3d whenre all is in place and i can concentrato to make games and not to achieve missing features

but water, a simply ladder system a missing importing system from fbx that work well are sincerly too much things for my game ideas..
I know maybe some things could be achieved with lua (even if i dont think swimming could be otherwise lee and others have done it yet) but sincerly i know c# almost good and restart from scratch again could be a pain for me...since i have my job but would to quit it to start to work as a full time dev and continue to monetize from my work since i really made money thanks to my games( i didnt start with this goal)

btw I wold to try to start to work with GG for some days and see waht happen
PC Specs:
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 12:11
Quote: "importing system from fbx that work well "

Erm, we already have that, and it's going to get even better soon, on github there are some really cool fbx import updates

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 12:13 Edited at: 4th Sep 2019 12:27
Quote: "maybe I'm used to it too well with unity 3d"

Well if your used to Unity and competent with it I would stick with that ..
You have 15 years of Unity development unlike 5 years with GameGuru
Im really perplexed as to why your even considering GameGuru if your that well versed in Unity ?

Why cant you do Ladders by the way ?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You have 15 years of Unity development unlike 5 years with GameGuru "

where did you get 15 years from, he said 2
Quote: "Btw from about 2 years i left GG since I needed a more compelte creation platform and switched to Unity 3d , learned c#, created my adventure survival horror fps game(with fps mechanis, invetory, interaction system ,Ai and so on) and i'm very happy with it ..But...."
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 12:26 Edited at: 4th Sep 2019 12:28
Quote: "where did you get 15 years from, he said 2"

I was referring to years in Unity Development time compared to GameGuru and all the features Unity has.
Not the time hes been using it.
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 14:10 Edited at: 4th Sep 2019 14:18
Quote: "Well if your used to Unity and competent with it I would stick with that ..
You have 15 years of Unity development unlike 5 years with GameGuru
Im really perplexed as to why your even considering GameGuru if your that well versed in Unity ?

Why cant you do Ladders by the way ?"

hi Syncro ..how much time LOL...good old times....

btw the answer is " I love TGC.. i love TGC community" ..TGC ported me into the development world .. i and i really would to work with GG..i laways tried .. but always left for same motives,,

btw how did you get ladder to work ..could you please explain the magic?

and about models i was referring to animated models and characters
PC Specs:
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 15:15 Edited at: 4th Sep 2019 15:20
LOL ... Like I explained when I did not say you had 15 years experience in Unity I said you have a product with 15 years development .
No magic in ladders , They have always worked you just need to angle it like a real one as in the pic.
At the end of the day its just a steep ramp. Its just straight up that doesn't work well.

Basically everything in your list is doable without much hassle .. Although you win with realtime shadows
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "LOL ... Like I explained when I did not say you had 15 years experience in Unity I said you have a product with 15 years development .
No magic in ladders , They have always worked you just need to angle it like a real one as in the pic.
At the end of the day its just a steep ramp. Its just straight up that doesn't work well.

Basically everything in your list is doable without much hassle .. Although you win with realtime shadows "

Yes i know the trick about the ladder nagle but waht about if i eventually would a climbing laddet a rope o simpy a clib over a wall..not possible sadly..
PC Specs:
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I have bad news , Non of the engines on steam I own can do that either without extra work,
They all use tricks, custom scripts etc
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 17:59 Edited at: 4th Sep 2019 18:08
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
1- swimming underwater system
I took a bit of a stab at setting up a stepping stone for this, by allowing for the player to actually submerge under without instantly dying. Preben was generous enough to also include his awesome underwater visual shader to this. We packed it together and its now officially in GG. However, it is not swimming. So the SPACE bar to float was thrown in (i hope temporarily) to allow for the player to move upward. some serious work is still needed in this area to actually call this swimming. So basically the answer right now is no, but it is indeed possible with editing the player global controls LUA file.

2- fully working particle system
The community has dome some fantastic work with the particle system. It, however, is not part of the UI like it was in FPSC (underutilized). Here is a look at the particle LUA commands:

3- inventory system
This is possible using sprites and images and handling them in LUA. There has been some great examples of this on the forums. Especially in the WIP section.

4- lightning system
We now have spotlights (new info if you have been away that long). We dont have dynamic shadows still, but there was a glimmer of hope with a proposal from Preben. We are not sure if that work has continued.

7- is ladder climbing and eventually parkour system possibles?
Using the method synchromesh suggests is best, its something a couple AAA developers used back in the old N64 days as well. But if you want something more complex than using the climb angles, you'd need to use LUA:

Would take an incredible amount of work for someone to incorporate this directly into the player controls. but if it were to happen it would probably be based to work off the metrics of the EBE heights.

Fun little snibbit from the past from The Next
Quote: " Posted: 28th Feb 2015 04:12
As an additional bit to all this, ladders are on the list of things we would like to see added to the engine.
"

8- and why no great modelers on the forum create any flashlight with hands model to use in our projects?? LOL

The hands would have to be the same as the other weapons hand models. There however is nothing stopping you from commissioning anyone of our great modelers for this. Even EAI. Most engines do not come with such asset additions. That is mostly community-generated.
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks Teabone for your great and exaustive explaination... btw i was documented on about all of you posted...
your and Preben great work on water and swimming system(and since it was dated to start of 2018 it's a shame lee didnt worked it more and complete great base you and Preben provided), the inventory system templates and the ladder/climbimg system....
I know even of your great scritps (i was thinking to purchase them all so i could have a good reference to start to learn lua, but i really dont know if i would to restart with GG or not right now), I would to purchase the BAM book's but i really dont know if all these effeort could reach some results a day ...so i'm really frustated atm since i really want restart to work with GG but more i read the forums and read about issues and missing features more I became reticent to work with it..

plus is there a way we can convert the unity animated models( characters) and relative animatios to GG without too much effort?
PC Specs:
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2019 21:34
Quote: "plus is there a way we can convert the unity animated models( characters) and relative animatios to GG without too much effort?"

yes of course, conversion is easy (for me) at the moment, the importer can just about import FBX, doesn't import OBJ and is buggy.
stick with unity
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yes of course, conversion is easy (for me) at the moment, the importer can just about import FBX, doesn't import OBJ and is buggy.
stick with unity"
[quote=]
waht ?? are you telling me that unity animated characters cna work in GG easily??
and that could be done with the standard imported only??
PC Specs:
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2019 02:53 Edited at: 5th Sep 2019 02:55
Quote: "it's a shame lee didn't worked it more and complete great base you and Preben provided),"

I'll agree with you there for sure. The point of the preliminary under water mechanics work was to nudge development into full-fledged swimming. However it hasn't happened. Lee is very busy working on VR and MP for GG.

Quote: "plus is there a way we can convert the unity animated models( characters) and relative animations to GG without too much effort?"

I believe we will be having some improvements towards the FBX importer in the September build to come. Though you may have to read up on the licenses that come with the Unity models as some of them may not allow you to use them in any other engines (unlikely but you never know.)
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I believe we will be having some improvements towards the FBX importer in the September build to come. Though you may have to read up on the licenses that come with the Unity models as some of them may not allow you to use them in any other engines (unlikely but you never know.)"

obviusly i 'll use only the ones license allow external unity use I'm not talknig about unity stokc models btw but tons of purchased models i have from the store and from third party modeler..

when the september update is going to be released?
PC Specs:
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 02:48:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 02:48:42