Product Chat / [SOLVED] Is there a boxed version of GameGuru?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2019 05:42
Just have some problem with downgrading GG, I wonder if You can buy a boxed v1.0 or something?
Guess what Aiko and I did this weekend...

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2019 07:39
Nope, those days are pretty much gone, all download only these days.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2019 10:18 Edited at: 9th Jul 2019 10:35
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Last boxed version software I bought ( Half - Life Orange Box ) installed then took me to steam to activate the key anyway which was pretty annoying so if there was a boxed version it would probably do the same these days.. If you want to downgrade follow the same procedure I showed you in your other thread but select the " Public-Release-Last-Dx9 " from the dropdown list .. Again no Beta key required.

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Last boxed version software I bought ( Half - Life Orange Box ) installed then took me to steam to activate the key anyway which was pretty annoying"

I remember that. Worked in retail and there was a huge amount of returns because of it. The change was far from welcome, but inevitable it seems. I have a decent collection of games, but if Steam shut down I would lose them all As a PC user it is quite annoying to not be able to go out and buy a retail boxed game nowadays, but then again, even console owners are locked down to updates now

Initially with GG or Reloaded, we were promised a retail box version, but that has fell by the wayside now. Progress is sometimes hard to swallow. It's not really an issue, but we older folks like to have something physical for our money generally. There has always been a push for this sort of thing even back before the internet existed. User agreements, stating you don't own the game, just have the right to play it. All mostly ignored of course, as it seemed crazy. This was mainly so you couldn't sell your game back then. Secondhand was not something games companies wanted at all. Now with everything online they have probably eliminated the secondhand market almost completely. Which of course, was the goal.
Not that I am accusing TGC of this, just that the main money has pushed this for years upon years.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2019 21:59 Edited at: 11th Jul 2019 21:59
Quote: " Now with everything online they have probably eliminated the secondhand market almost completely. Which of course, was the goal."

Yep .. The only real way you can own a game purchased online now is to buy from GOG
You get to download the full game and keep it at least. They even have games that are available on steam so always worth looking there first for the classics
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:36:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:36:15