Product Chat / GameGuru PublicPreview Build Released!

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2019 00:10
Hi All,

For the full-SP on the changelog for this update, check out the announcement: https://www.game-guru.com/news-post/gameguru-publicpreview-released

If you want to double check the fixes, here is the GitHub fixed issues: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Afixed

We will be closing these issues when the Public Update goes out next week, so if you find any further issues with them, do let us know here, thanks! In the meantime, feel free to discuss the PP build here and ask any questions you might have.
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2019 00:48
Thanks Lee, i've had a quick look and it runs smooth, will do some testing tomorrow.
But i have a question, it could be that i am mistaken but i thought that the caste parts in mega pack 2 and the buildings in mega pack 3 had been overhauled, yet i'm seeing old textures in megapack 2 and no pbr buildings in megapack 3.
However, after testing i'm going to dive in modeling again and start with overhauling those assets, i can't help out with bugs fixing but i can help with creating PBR textures for the models and if needed fix the models itself.
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2019 00:50
A big thank you to all the bug terminators and a special thanks to Preben for spearheading this endeavor.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Jul 2019 14:01
Quote: "it could be that i am mistaken but i thought that the caste parts in mega pack 2 and the buildings in mega pack 3 had been overhauled, yet i'm seeing old textures in megapack 2 and no pbr buildings in megapack 3.
However, after testing i'm going to dive in modeling again and start with overhauling those assets, i can't help out with bugs fixing but i can help with creating PBR textures for the models and if needed fix the models itself."

You are correct they have all been overhauled just not released yet it took us over 6 months to do them thousands of hours, not sure when they will be released but I am sure it will be soon, thank you for the offer though
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2019 18:55
Quote: "You are correct they have all been overhauled just not released yet it took us over 6 months to do them thousands of hours, not sure when they will be released but I am sure it will be soon"

Welcome to the club, maybe at official release, atleast I hope so.

At first glance it works fine. a deeper test next weekend.
Thanks to everyone who was part of one way or another.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Good work.
But....
Yes, there are inhibiting issues, and I just checked on the water previously mentioned.
When you enter the water and get in deep enough- you become practically frozen, and it's
barely possible to move in any direction. Then you slowly sink... Good for Quick- Sand trap?!
So this is how it's been since March I believe.

Another concern;
It's possibly (hope not!) too late at this point, but I would like to re- point out that
there are some functions (particularly SetGamePlayerControlGravityActive())
I hope this turns player gravity off!
just doesn't seem to function at all. This one would be nice to see work because it
would certainly allow for advanced player movement scripting!
PM
SHAHIN3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Jul 2019 22:16
Thanks Lee
Good luck
amir
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 11:43
All seems good here on my main PC, smooth, but still getting jagged sprite scaling issues.

Great work everyone, really really nice.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 15:07
@Tarkus1971 : Can you post your "jagged sprite scaling" issue on GitHub issues tracker so I can chase it up, thanks!

@GubbyBlips : The "SetGamePlayerControlGravityActive" command does not switch gravity off, it's just a value that can get set and get inside LUA as part of the process of externalizing player control. For the water issue, please post the GitHub issues tracker link responsible for the change/fix and I will take a look.

@SHAHIN3D : Thanks for checking off some of the fixes on GitHub, much appreciated!
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 16:00
Some great updates in this release, thanks.

"bug" 555 is still the priority for me https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/555

Needs a code ninja

Cheers.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 17:59
Issues 555 will not be in this update. I've marked it mentally as a 'missing functionality bug', but in practise, it will require some serious ninja skills to dump all those extra shadows into the scene without killing performance. The code is pretty much there, it just needs employing and tweaking to get it working for flashlights and selected dynamic lights. To add confusion to the implementation plan, when you have this many shadows, it could be quicker to do it a different way than currently implemented for the sun shadow.

Now the great question, in the next update do you want to see 10-30 more bug fixes from the issues tracker or 1 fix for #555. A great question to open up to the community?

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 18:19 Edited at: 4th Jul 2019 19:04
@Lee - will post sprite scaling issue on github asap, thanks.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now the great question, in the next update do you want to see 10-30 more bug fixes from the issues tracker or 1 fix for #555. A great question to open up to the community?"

Frankly, lights not casting shadows is a show-stopper for me even considering using the engine. Most engines today allow for virtually unlimited lights casting shadows. I could handle a limited number of lights, if that's what it takes, as long as it's a decent enough number to work with in most areas. Lights could turn off/on when out of range/view (i.e. in another room, etc.). So, yeah, fix the lights first, in my opinion. I could at least be creating my levels and most of my game while waiting for the other fixes to come.

The second biggest show stopper for me is how long it takes to load levels in GG. Having a player wait a minute or two (or more!) for a small level to load is not acceptable, in my opinion.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 20:02 Edited at: 4th Jul 2019 20:02
Quote: " Having a player wait a minute or two (or more!) for a small level to load is not acceptable, in my opinion. "

Depends on what you define a small level is … I consider mine reasonably small and it takes about 8 seconds from the main menu which i think is pretty good .
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 20:41 Edited at: 5th Jul 2019 00:13
I see no grass in the water. What might I be doing wrong …
Screen shot one taken while in the editor shows grass in the water/terrain.
Screen shot two taken in the test game process shows no grass in the water.

Edit:
As you can see in the third screenshot if I use F9/0 while in the test mode the grass works as it should (shows up in the water, above and below the water line... PROBLEM is the grass in the water is lost when returning to the editor and or save. I believe this has been reported in gethub

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK 10,794|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,071

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 20:46 Edited at: 4th Jul 2019 21:06
Its not working .. I already reposted on GitHub .. 573
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 20:51
Yes, confirmed it didn't work for my new game.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2019 22:12
Lee wrote: "in the next update do you want to see 10-30 more bug fixes from the issues tracker or 1 fix for #555. "

Now that is a difficult question to answer. It seems that the majority would like to see more reality. I'm not actually concerned about reality in my games. If I were I would want the npc's to look like AAA humans who can lip-synch. But, if it is going to cut into performance, I would not op for the shadows and if they are implemented there needs to be a switch in the setup.ini file to shut off/on dynamic light shadows.

What is interesting, games that are close to reality are not as popular anymore but still are desired by the teen and adult audience, there are those games on phones and mobiles that are not emphasizing reality.

The bottom line for me is that it can go either way; but, if it goes for the shadows, then I really would like the ability to shut it off.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
Argent Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
@Flatlander - It's not about reality or AAA. It's about lights casting shadows. There is a difference. Take a game like RIME, or Hob, or Aer - Memories of Old. None of these are in the least bit realistic, but all of them use dynamic lighting with real-time shadows. If GG has proper rea;-time lighting shadows, it's a feature that can be used ... or not. If it does not, then it simply cannot be used. In my opinion, it's better to have the option. And, frankly, for my project(s), it's a show stopper to not have it. I'm currently learning another engine for my project due to GG not having this "feature".

Mobile games certainly are huge, but they are not the only market. One PCs and consoles, the realistic games still dominate.
PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 04:14 Edited at: 5th Jul 2019 04:15
As I mentioned, most of the developers here think the same as you. I am probably in the minority. As I said, "The bottom line for me is that it can go either way; but, if it goes for the shadows, then I really would like the ability to shut it off."

All those in the USA. Happy and safe fourth. May the fourth be with you.
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
Loretta
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Generation Zero; Skyrim SE , Fallout 4, In VR- Pistol Whip,
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 16:14
Is VR possible yet?
ASUS ROG G20- Desktop Intel Core i7-6700 -3.4Ghz - 16GB Memory - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB - Windows 10 64bit
Alienware M15 Laptop i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max Q
Steam Name: Technodweeb
VR : Samsung Hmd Odyssey WMR and 2 Oculus Gos
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 16:31 Edited at: 5th Jul 2019 16:34
Quote: "Is VR possible yet? "

VR has been possible for years. You just have to turn it on in your settings.ini. It's only basic and only works with some of the older VR sets, but it's there.

The new VR as far as i know isn't finished yet.

Quote: "One PCs and consoles, the realistic games still dominate."

I have to disagree with that, it might be the case on consoles, but the trends i am seeing show a lot more games with a low poly, simple texture style being released, they're highly popular on the PC at the moment.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 16:53
Well low poly or realistic, I think both need shadows to be applicable to 'ground' the assets in a 3D game and give player correct relative perspective. 3D games without shadows look really odd to me. PBR without shadows is just daft I reckon.

Cheers.
Loretta
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Generation Zero; Skyrim SE , Fallout 4, In VR- Pistol Whip,
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 17:05
I was asking about the New VR, thanks for the answer to both.
ASUS ROG G20- Desktop Intel Core i7-6700 -3.4Ghz - 16GB Memory - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB - Windows 10 64bit
Alienware M15 Laptop i7-8750H, GTX 1070 Max Q
Steam Name: Technodweeb
VR : Samsung Hmd Odyssey WMR and 2 Oculus Gos
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The bottom line for me is that it can go either way; but, if it goes for the shadows, then I really would like the ability to shut it off."

I do not think the shadow slider will lose his functionality
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 21:54
Quote: "Now the great question, in the next update do you want to see 10-30 more bug fixes from the issues tracker or 1 fix for #555. A great question to open up to the community?"

My belief is that so many games do not have this, yet it does not pose a problem because the sun casts shadows and the rest might simply not be noticed by the many players or they are not bothered by it.
Lights shining through walls/entities, no shadows aside from the flashlights maybe which do cast shadows.
Farming simulater is quite popular, yet same as in GG, only the sun casts shadows, dynamic lights do not, but it does not stop the creators from creating their simulator game nor does it stop the thousands of players and of course the modders who create the many maps and gear.
I think in GG it is under a magnifying glass after the dynamic lighting was added.
I'm not really a gamer but i love to be working on my virtual farm, so relaxing and fun to do.
When looking at what the kids are playing, the creators of those games are not focussed on graphical reality but on emmersive gameplay and game logics for the players.

This is my opinion and i would like to ask members to have a look at games which they or others are playing and have a look at how the lighting is in that game.
Tommorow i'll check how it is in eurotruck simulator.

That said, i think based on the many shoutouts on this forum and on github that the answer should be to do only #555 for the next update.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2019 22:03
Quote: "You are correct they have all been overhauled just not released yet it took us over 6 months to do them thousands of hours, not sure when they will be released but I am sure it will be soon, thank you for the offer though "

Thanks GraPhiX, Myke also send me a message about the huge amount of work You and Myke had done already on those packs, so we will wait until it is being released.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
How about--
DLC; Dynamic Shadows Engine?!
More developer incentive and motivation, if you need it, you can get it!
Could be commissioned out, and bugs and other features still tackled.
We really need a few other features/ and stand alone bugs worked on.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 00:36 Edited at: 6th Jul 2019 00:50
This is why the bugs don't get fixed.
It wanders off into other things and features.
Personally " Stay on target " Bugs an fixes only. lets get what we have solid finally before adding these additions

Quote: "DLC; Dynamic Shadows Engine?!"

I doubt that will ever work .. Pretty sure shadows need tackling at the engine core and not as an addon.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Synchromesh here. I think it better to stick to the bugs and make GG as solid as it can be at the moment.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 15:41
Ditto!

memory mark 2584.8

PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 18:09 Edited at: 6th Jul 2019 18:12
well ,
for me so far , the latest update works pretty good !
Underwater , with grass , looks amazing , except for maybe
a bit too much underwater oscillation effect and in some spots ,
at some depths the player will stop moving. ( seems to happen when in a flat area
when half in and out of the water)

Looking better and better with so much progress being made in just the last 2 weeks or so
compared to the last year !

Congrats to all on the team and lets keep up this pace and be almost all caught up in the bug hunt so very soon now.

Thx to all !

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 19:29
There seems to be a growing desire in the community to get those bugs squashed. I, too, agree. Call Orkin immediately. Get rid of those bugs.

Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 19:47

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 20:00 Edited at: 6th Jul 2019 20:23
Quote: "Underwater , with grass , looks amazing "

Doesn't work for me at all … I can only add it in F9 mode and it vanishes on retest ?
Love to know how your managing it ..
PM
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Doesn't work for me at all … I can only add it in F9 mode and it vanishes on retest ?
Love to know how your managing it .."

I have spent way to much time trying to get this feature to work. Can some one confirm this does not work no matter what secret trick is used?
My results have been the same as synchromesh. I see it has been added to gethub but not picked up by anyone willing to work on the problem.
The screenshot illustrates what one gets using F9 in the test sequence but it always disappears on return to the editor.

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK 10,794|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,071

Attachments

Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2019 23:46 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 00:19
I'm not sure which version you are using. There is a new Beta version designated as the "July 1 20019" version. This does work for me using this version without having to do anything but place vegetation on the bottom of the water. I took plants and things from the "foliage" folder -- not necessarily underwater plants.

Also, "swimming" is incorporated in this version. It may not be perfect but at least you can swim on top of the surface without dying. It appears you possibly start out swimming if it is too deep. Sometimes when I jump into the water I will go a little below water but pressing the space bar key will get you to the surface. You can face toward the bottom and press the "w" key and you will go down. One just needs to play around with it. This is based on one of the community members code. I can't remember his name right now.

I'm actually satisfied with it as is and wait for more bug fixes.

Addendum:

One minor issue with the swimming is that the debug prompt line has not been commented out. This is a prompt to show the player coordinates while in the water. All you need to do is go into the "globalgamecontrol.lua" file find this line:

Prompt("X: " .. g_PlayerAngX .. " Y: " .. g_PlayerAngY .. " Z: " .. g_PlayerAngZ)

Once you find it, place two dash marks in front of the command.

--Prompt("X: " .. g_PlayerAngX .. " Y: " .. g_PlayerAngY .. " Z: " .. g_PlayerAngZ)

Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Windows 10 Home
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2019 00:28
The change was to allow objects with transparency to render across or below the water line - this works now thanks to Preben - this can include foliage/grass.

However, the grass you can paint on the terrain (that also has transparency) has other code that removes all that is set/painted below the waterline - now that there is not a rendering issue, it is likely to come as a later 'feature' - not technically a bug if we want to get into all that again - it was designed to clear any grass painted in the water area.

I believe Preben is having a short holiday so I imagine that is why there is no response from him at the moment on this.

Cheers.
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@flatlander
I am running version 2019.07.01 July update. It appears that my problem and (perhaps others) were thinking that when GG reference to grass in the discussions of the new underwater features possible, that they referred to the "grass" we are used to spreading all over the terrain.

Not so... only works with vegetation objects not terrain grass, terrain objects work just fine.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@cybernescence
That explains that then … Yep I can put foliage without any problem so that's where I got confused
Quote from Preben "Underwater vegetation is now possible, please give it a good test (just in case)"
I assumed that included the grass etc .
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2019 02:30

To be honest, for that to answer we need a rough timeline or ETAs for the updates.

if we are talking about 2-3 weeks per sprint, I am all good with "Ok, do 10-30 more bugs now and give me the shadows mid August, no problem."

If we are talking about months, then I would highly recommend doing the shadows first or GG misses out on all of those sharing the

Quote: " If GG has proper rea;-time lighting shadows, it's a feature that can be used ... or not. If it does not, then it simply cannot be used. In my opinion, it's better to have the option. And, frankly, for my project(s), it's a show stopper to not have it. I'm currently learning another engine for my project due to GG not having this "feature".
"

opinion. And those are quite many and largely those who would have potential to produce shipped stuff selling the engine.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2019 08:20
@synchro - it’s possible Preben was asking me as I’ve made the change to allow the paint/grass to stay in place underwater but it looked bad on the transition across the transparency of the waterline as it appeared cut in half. It looks great now. Hopefully I can start feeding in the changes for consideration once this round of bug bashing is done.

@Ertlov - that’s a really good point, if it’s, say, a six month task and doesn’t start for six months that’s a long way off. If it’s not on the table at all (I know it’s not the easiest of updates) then it would be good to know as can make some decisions. There are two engine aspects that really hurt my project (the dynamic lighting is the one I can’t find a performance friendly work around for, the other is gpu instanced volumetric particles - well that has been majorly helped by the work Amen and GraPhix did).

It’s back to we all want what we want

Cheers.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to see dynamic shadows and we need a black belt for that kind of task. The bug hunt is important, but I think GG needs a selling point again
We need more developer in this community since 2017. Without more selling points we will not get any. I know a feature will not ensure this, but at least it is a try
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2019 14:31 Edited at: 7th Jul 2019 14:35
How about Lee works on dynamic shadows, Preben and GameGuruEvan work on other bugs.
or
Preben works on dynamic shadows, Lee and GameGuruEvan work on other bugs.
or
GameGuruEvan works on dynamic shadows, Lee and preben work on other bugs.
or
Lee, Preben, and GameGuruEvan work on bugs for one month solid
and then
Lee, Preben, and GameGuruEvan then all work on dynamic shadows solid for one month.

Or is it still the norm than only one dev works on GameGuru at one time.....

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2019 15:18
Of course lighting+dynamic shadows are essential in a game engine, also have the ability to change the textures throughout the game via Lua code.
increases the credibility and coherence of a scene.
People can not avoid making comparisons, and things like these could make a difference, and at the same time promote the skills of GG, put it better in the market.
The difficulty with the GG code, consists in the fact that if you touch something in a site, you have to make changes in other parts of the code, so that they are not affected by the first change. Just my thoughts.

If each/someone new feature has to fight againts any of these bugs, so fixing bugs firts are the path.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah Reliquia, I kinda had that idea about the progress in GG,
it seemed like without impeding upon bug squashing! -- upon closer look.
Win-win for everyone I just wouldn't suggest who did what on which part,
even bring in a new coder perhaps?

I think though that Dynamic Lights will require a transfer of GG over
to the 64 bit arena. Because memory corruption while scripting in the editor,
along with stand- alone bugs is a killer presently. You can keep re-loading GG
when editing, but -- sheesh! Then with Dynamic lighting- which would be really cool,
couldn't help out those developing hurdles much- how long would 32 bit last?

3com asks-- can you work on bugs, and dynamic lights separately?
Maybe not, and certainly not likely if moving up to 64 bit.

Therefore, maybe a GG 2020 DLC or upgrade product seems even
more interesting?! - or maybe not.

If we was to look at other Steam companies, some have about 5-6 versions
of their game maker, (the most popular company), some have 2-3 versions,
and if I'm not mistaken, the least popular ones have a single product.
PM
Kitakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd really like to see dynamic shadows especially when using the flashlight. That being said, bugs need to be fixed too. As others have stated it depends on how long it will take. I'm super excited to see the flashlight cast shadows though!
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think though that Dynamic Lights will require a transfer of GG over
to the 64 bit arena."

Light is a calculation, so CPU/GPU. 64Bit is memory. I do not want to offend your ram, but he can not even solve 1+1, he can only save the result 2.
Thread and Download
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2019 00:28
stupid RAM... lol.... just joking
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2019 08:26
Quote: "I think though that Dynamic Lights will require a transfer of GG over
to the 64 bit arena."

No, on the contrary: Limiting to baked shadows would require 64bit to remove the memory limitations, dynamic shadows feed on performance but not on RAM.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:28:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:28:40