Product Chat / GameGuru Graphics Update

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there plans to update the GameGuru graphics & movement of players? Why? Because all of the graphics look so old and the movements of the players in the game do not look realistic.
I have downloaded some sample games and have look at GameGuru myself, and it is obviously dated.
Please let me know if there are plans to update it and make it more like games made with Unity and Unreal Game Engines.
Thanks.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2019 21:13
What is some example of games?

The player controls are entirely LUA based now. So they can be edited and modified. Also for non-coders, you can do some modifications to the wobble effect and such in the player properties panel.
Youtube - Teabone3 | Store Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
bbacle
Years of Service
User Offline
All that you say may be true to a certain extent, but the mechanics of the game are very dated with the enemies looking like something out of the 90's and their movements are not realistic at all.
That is what I am trying to say. The assets need to be upgraded to make them look more realistic.
As for examples let me give you a small list:
1- Cold Contract
2- Extraction Point
3- Protascope
4- Redacted - Hired Gun
5- Redacted² - Bulletblues
6- Resist Revolution

And I have played around with the program and made a few small games to test it out also.
The games do not even look realistic and I am comparing them to games like Battlefield V & other Battlefield more recent games & Call of Duty more recent games.
Have you looked at the graphics of those games compared with GameGuru?
There is no comparison, because GameGuru's graphics are way out of touch with today's games.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2019 06:34
It should be noted that Game Guru is a 32-bit engine and not 64-bit. So it has less access to memory unlike games of today.
Youtube - Teabone3 | Store Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2019 07:59 Edited at: 8th Jun 2019 08:04
Quote: "And I have played around with the program and made a few small games to test it out also.
The games do not even look realistic and I am comparing them to games like Battlefield V & other Battlefield more recent games & Call of Duty more recent games."

No GG can not compete with in-house developed Engines like frostbite or the Call of duty engine like IW 7.0 Next Gen (not sure what the new call of duty is based on). But no engine can, not even unreal or cryengine.

But if you want to create a shiny game you should use unreal or cryengine. Unity has also a bit outdated graphic.

GameGuru is a engine for little Games with height focus on gameplay

I also disliked the player movement and I would like to create a more action based movement, but everybody want bug fixes, so it has a low
priority.
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2019 09:49 Edited at: 8th Jun 2019 09:51
Quote: "The assets need to be upgraded to make them look more realistic.
As for examples let me give you a small list: "

Protascope ?
Curious to know how a puzzle game ( which could look like anything ) doesn't have realistic Graphics ?
Im not really sure what it should look like as I made it all up
Always happy for constructive feedback
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2019 10:15
Protascope is nothing but genious and looks fantastic
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
For anyone else who want to test these games:
1- Cold Contract https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219060
2- Extraction Point https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220128
3- Protascope https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219960
4- Redacted - Hired Gun https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/216931
5- Redacted² - Bulletblues https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218642
6- Resist Revolution https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218343
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2019 12:53
I'd be interested to see how some standard GG assets look in Unity or U4 as people complaining about the engine may not be comparing like-with-like.

The player movement is one of those no-win situations, with smoothing on in the ini file it seems to be too laggy and without it seems too immediate (to me at least) but whatever settings Lee went with everyone would still complain that it wasn't like it is in <favourite-game>.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2019 03:38 Edited at: 9th Jun 2019 03:45
Unity outdated... hmmm well, I don't think so.

"I'd be interested to see how some standard GG assets look in Unity or U4 "
I would say... ugly. Many of the free assets from GG look old.

To be fair, we should not compare GG games with multi-million $ productions like Battlefield V.
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
there's nothing stopping you from spending hundreds of $'s on assets and importing them to GG.. for the price of the GG DLC and store items it's good quality in all honesty plus there's also not much point in spending ages on creating top quality models when the store will only give you a small return due to the small user base anyway.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2019 00:24 Edited at: 10th Jun 2019 00:30
The engine does not make the graphics, it plays a far smaller part in how a game looks than one might be led to believe by video game journalism.

The games you have listed are by hobbyists with very limited budget and possibilities. You can't "upgrade" the graphics of an engine. Only open up new possibilities for a better workflow as in shaders / lighting (!).
What makes game guru games look dated is mostly the lighting which really needs to be updated dramatically and many smaller parts of the workflow. You are free to try unity or UE, in fact I highly recommend you do so to experience what actually goes into a game and even though these engines are FANTASTIC, they don't do the work for you.

The graphics you want to see as in Battlefield or COD is mostly due to one thing: Art direction and skill in these studios. Especially call of duty was notorious for using old tech until recently. There is a good reason why the production of these games swallows millions of dollars.

But to be precise:

Quote: "but the mechanics of the game are very dated with the enemies looking like something out of the 90's and their movements are not realistic at all."

Player movement and basic game mechanics is something that Lee can give us more freedom with, this really is something where we need more freedom engine wise. The enemies and how they move is entirely up to the models we use and believe me, none of this is related to the engine. You could import this character into GG if you wanted to. Just note that even prices where never as low as now, chars with Battlefield V or COD quality are expensive, especially if you want variety and GG is a steal when it comes to the amount of custom chars it brings.
In fact, if you can model better characters and give them better animations there should be very little in your way for getting them in the engine.

Quote: "Please let me know if there are plans to update it and make it more like games made with Unity and Unreal Game Engines."

No, probably not.

-Wolf
maiacoimbra69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2019 21:48
i made this with the current engine and is not so bad
but let's hope things improve

P:S: if the moderates choose to delete this post it is ok by me i was just trying to make a point here, that sometimes is not the engine but the creator

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " if the moderates choose to delete this post it is ok by me"

Nope … its on topic and pretty cool pics ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
maiacoimbra69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2019 21:57
i think that a decent tool to create paths , ( roads ) appling 2 or 3 textures
more than one dynamic grass ( standard painting grass)
dynamic lights or volumetric fog or light or color by áreas ( whatever you want to call it)
and post production effects ( a simple basico thing is separating the bloom for the rest)

this will improve the final result because that is the basic things that level designers uses to make beauty stuff

and of course stop the damn zombies get a gun pose ( a memory switch on of problem) lololo
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2019 09:29
@maiacoimbra69 : Some great looking scenes there! If there are any issues you have (or enhancement requests) not in the issues board on GitHub, feel free to post there so your feedback is set in stone: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues
PC SPECS: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 GPU, 16GB SYSTEM RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 20:22:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 20:22:12