EDIT - So far all tests have proven GG is working fine with save files or at least with the ones I checked. I 'll leave the posts as is though.
Hi. I don't visit as often as I used to, but after a brief discussion in another thread, I decided to have a think about about it - the ongoing after awhile, my game slows down issue. Caused from my experience from just saving your level over and over and/or deleting objects etc.
This is just a starting point for anyone with the interest and time to spare.
I created a new blank map and saved it. Then I extracted the .fpm. Then I added a default building and saved and extracted again.
The first version of map.ele, which I'm pretty sure is the correct one reads thus:
Nice and neat
I added the space between the square brackets as without it the text would not display
The second version with one object loaded looks like this:
I'm guessing here, that the spaces are mainly quirks of loading it into notepad. Nowhere near as neat now though, although that isn't the problem really.
If I continued this, adding a few more objects to see how the file changes, then start deleting them, you would expect the data to be removed. I haven't got this far as yet as due to time restraints but I will continue and add another object and then try deleting one. If the file does not reflect this or leaves some junk behind then we know what the problem is.
For anyone interested in trying this out themselves and want to beat me to it you can extract your levels in winrar with the password mypassword. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything naughty here I believe it is fairly common knowledge. Any mods think this is not allowed, feel free to remove it.
@Teabone. I remembered it (the password)
I'll get back when I have looked a little more, or of course if someone is really in need of working this out, feel free to take the initiative from my very basic start point
As an aside. The file size of the bigger file (with one entity) still registers as the same size as the first one in Windows. Modern computers eh? lol.
Edit - Okay. I ended up not having to stop looking as I thought I was
I've tried adding another object and it added the relevant data. I then deleted both objects and checked. Back to the simple 8 line. So, the element file is working just fine, at least from a very small test with no real stress making a real game would. They were just static entities as well so dynamic structures may be a cause or of course, not
If there is any issue with level saving slowly eating away at memory or speed, the elements one seems fine. How this could change with a proper complicated game map of course would be a lot more difficult and very slow to check using this step by step method. Also, different objects may cause problems. I used the first 2 default buildings built in to GG. Other items may cause issues possibly and could have a different story. The problem of allowing people other than TGC to make stuff
Although I have no evidence either way here, just eliminating stuff.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.