Product Chat / Please help - Save Standalone not working correctly.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I couldn't find a support thread so I'm posting this here. It can be moved to the right thread if need be.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope someone can help me. I installed the latest version of Gameguru ( 2018.11.26 - November Update ) and it seemed to install correctly. However, the Save Standalone is doing some strange stuff and won't save.

I've created a minimal game with nothing more than a Player Start and a Win Zone and I've tried it with a game that came with Gameguru and the same thing happens. No matter what I do the same situation occurs.

When I press "Save Standalone", the little message bar on the screen says "Loading Level", then "Loading Terrain", then "Saving Standalone Game - Collecting Files", then "Press Escape to Continue". While these messages are displaying, the main Gameguru editor screen displays "Resuming Previous Session", then "Creating P-List", then reloads my game and locks up my editor when I press the escape key as instructed. Nothing is saved on my computer anywhere. It does not create an executable file.

Is there a patch I'm missing? I've re-installed Gameguru and the exact same thing is happening.

Any ideas? Oh, and my computer is well within specs . . . . Octo-core processor, 16gb ram, SSD's, High end video card with current drivers, etc.

Thanks in advance.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 00:21
Windows 10?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, Windows 10.

Is there an issue with it and Gameguru?
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 01:28
What are your system specs?

Maybe a file verify would help, then a reboot.

Is this a new system?
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 01:38 Edited at: 25th Jan 2019 01:38
Quote: "Yes, Windows 10.
Is there an issue with it and Gameguru?"

GG runs best on Windows 10 but your certainly getting an issue and GameGuru is resetting itself.
Have you allowed steam to install to its default path ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
As I have said, my system is extremely high end and not the issue I assure you. No, it is not a new system. I did a clean install of Windows 10 when it first came out and have had NO issues with any of my applications or development utilities. This is exclusively with running Gameguru. I've ran Gameguru on this system before back when it was older and it was fine. This issue started when I installed it yesterday with the most current version.

Why does everyone always assume it's the system when in all my years it's NEVER been my system. Ugh!. But anyway, I have a AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz processor ( Water cooled ), 16gb RAM, Windows 10 and Gameguru both on SSD's, GTX 1080 Video Card with current nvidea drivers.
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
To synchromesh,

Hmmm. You might have something there. No, GG is not installed to Steam's default path. I have created a Steamlibrary on a different SSD than Steam is installed to. In steam, I have that drive ( D ) recognized and it does recognize that GG is installed on it, but it is not set as the default steam drive.

I'll uninstall GG and have it install the Steam's default drive. However, Steam is not installed on a SSD, it's a HDD.

Question: Why would the default path of Steam have anything to do with how GG functions once installed? Just curious.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 02:14 Edited at: 25th Jan 2019 02:16
Quote: " Why would the default path of Steam have anything to do with how GG functions once installed? Just curious"

GameGuru likes to find everything where it expects it … that's not to say you cannot install it anywhere else but issues have been known to be caused by custom paths … It may not change anything but worth a try …

Quote: "Why does everyone always assume it's the system when in all my years it's NEVER been my system. "

Always best to ask system specs … rules it out right from the start … Or ( and more common ) it brings something to light .
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 02:31 Edited at: 25th Jan 2019 02:35
Where has it created your standalone folder ?
By Default it should be / user/ Documents /Gameguru files / my games / even if you installed on another drive i think ...
It does seem coincidental that its the standalone that has the problem ?
Maybe it cannot find the folder ..
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 02:47 Edited at: 25th Jan 2019 02:49
This is very possible. Tonight I'm going to uninstall it, remove my "added" Steamlibrary and start from scratch. For some reason I do not have a "/ user/ Documents /Gameguru files / my games /" path. That's more than likely the case then. I didn't think of that.

What I did is manually created a "steamlibrary" on my "D" SSD. Steam is located on my "K" HDD. I then went into steam settings/downloads and added the "D" steamlibrary. I'm also starting GG from the "D" GG directory in admin mode. I'm not running it from steam.

I'm assuming that GG would run from itself after steam installed it. Does it require steam pathing to function properly?

BTW, I do not have a "standalone folder anywhere. Who is supposed to creat it? GG or Steam?
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 03:46 Edited at: 25th Jan 2019 05:23
Update:

Well, I uninstalled literally everything, including Steam. Cleaned up all rogue files and directories left behind and cleaned my registry. Re-installed steam. Logged in. Installed Gameguru to default location under steam.

The EXACT same thing is happening. I searched my entire system for anything resembling a "gameguru files", "my games", or anything with "standalone" in it and there is nothing. So where is GG supposed to save standalone's in? All the GG directories are there, but nothing about standalone files.

Is there a way to tell GG where to save my files? I can't find a properties or options area at all.

EDIT: I have found 3 other exact issues on support forums that were solved. In all cases it took a re-install of GG to recreate the "/ user/ Documents /Gameguru files / my games" path. I don't have one and iv'e installed GG 3 times to different areas, including the default under steam. For some reason I can't get the installer to create the path, nor does GG read it even if it's there because I've manually created the "/ user/ Documents /Gameguru files / my games" directories. Same thing happens.

I'm totally at a loss and cannot move forward until this is resolved.
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I've spent an entire day on attempting to find a solution to this issue. So, instead of trying to correct this issue, which others are apparently at a loss on also, maybe I should try and find an alternative or workaround. The issue is definitely the fact that there is no directory or path to write the standalone games to and GG won't create it or read it if it exists.

So, here are a few questions that maybe someone can answer. And I hope they are positive.

1. Can I tell GG where to save my standalone games other than the default? Maybe in a .ini file?
2. Can I tell either steam or GG to force the writing of the default path for writing standalone's?
3. Why can't GG read the default location of "/ user/ Documents /Gameguru files / my games" if created manually?

Thanks again.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 07:48
Are Steam, and GameGuru running in administration mode in windows? Windows 10 can be a bit funny at times about admin rights and creating folders in certain locations, it might be that?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, they are running in admin mode.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2019 11:10
I run Windows 10 Insider and save stand-alone works.

Do you have a C: drive - if so try installing GG on that. Don't know if it make any difference, but as synchromesh says GG likes things where it expects them to be.

Welcome to Game Guru land....

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. M1: Samsung 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I ran GG on an external drive " F " to be precise and it runs fine but the standalone still saves to drive " C " Documents / GameGuru files / my games and if I delete that it makes a new one on the " C " drive.
So im guessing no matter where GG is installed " C " Documents / GameGuru files / my games / is required ..
Im betting thats the problem ?
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree Synchromesh. But for some reason GG will not write the directories. Nor read them if I create it manually. Is there a setting I need to set when Steam installs GG? I'm at a loss.
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, As a last resort I'm going to send in a ticket to support. I just spent another entire day trying to get GG to work.

I went all in this time and removed ALL my existing games under Steam. Then scanned for ANY trace of them on my system and deleted every remaining file and directory containing any portion of the files, including cleaning my registry. Then I uninstalled Steam completely, scrubbing my system of any traces of it. Again I cleaned my registry of any Steam files. Rebooted system.

Disabled and/or uninstalled any unnecessary programs that were running, including my anti-virus software. I even temporarily disabled my firewall in case it could be causing issues. I then checked all my directory permissions for my document folder and made sure it was writable by everyone.

I installed a clean version of steam to my "C" drive ( which I normally don't do ). Then I installed Gameguru to the default directory under steam. So far everything installed perfectly.

I ran Gameguru and only added a Player Start marker. Saved it as level1. Reloaded it and attempted to save standalone. SAME DAMN THING HAPPENED! It WILL NOT write the /gameguru files /my games directory under my documents folder. Or anywhere on my system for that matter. Another day wasted! I'm SO done with this. I'll contact support and if they can't help me I'll move on to another application. Shame too, I used GG back when it was FPSC and for another year as GG and it worked wonderful. I have no idea why this 2018 version won't work. I would really like to use GG again.

Can ANYONE shed some light on this?
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 11:14
I know you say you run as admin but this does sound like a windows permissions issue to me. I know windows with some software seems to need you to manually run as admin and ignores the setting in properties (known uac issue with wibdows 10), so just to be sure, right click your steam icon and select run as admin, then once steam is running, right click your gameguru icon and select run as admin and see if it works there, if it does work you may have to disable uac.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Both Steam and Gameguru have been manually set to run as admin. I did that yesterday. Also, I have turned off UAC. I have no idea what is happening but thanks for trying to help. This does not make any sense at all. Older versions of GG worked fine.

Is there any way to install an older version of GG without Steam updating it to the newest version?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 12:57 Edited at: 26th Jan 2019 12:57
Quote: "Is there any way to install an older version of GG without Steam updating it to the newest version?"

you can roll back to the DX9 but if its not creating or saving to my games your going to get the same results.
What was the last Version of GG you used or how long ago ?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 13:15 Edited at: 26th Jan 2019 13:24
I answered you on steam also but this could be worth looking into ?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-save-in-my-documents-folder/b3857a15-5cb6-4819-94ae-cee0128a9178
Do you have a second system you could install it on … At least it would confirm a Windows issue ?
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 13:53
Have you got any security software running - it might be preventing write access to the docs folder by GG?

Cheers.
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for keeping up with this issue Synch, but the article is for not being able to write to the document folder at all. I am able to write to the folder, just not with GG. Also, keep in mind I mentioned that it can't read it either if I manually create it. I did do what the article suggested though but it didn't help.

To Cyber, no, I don't have any security software running. I have disabled everything for testing. Didn't change anything. I also disabled my firewall.

Tonight I'm going to login to Steam from my wife's computer and install GG on it to see if it's my system or not. I'll keep everyone posted. This is extremely baffling.

Just for the sake of elimination, are there any steam settings that could cause this prior to installing GG that I may have incorrect? Or any GG settings after the install? And when does the standalone directory path in the document folder get created? Is it during install or when you first try to save standalone?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2019 20:39 Edited at: 26th Jan 2019 20:40
It should just install and work …
Obviously most just allow steam to do its thing so I would try that first ..then perhaps uninstall and try installing to a portable. Then you could see if it works on wife's from the portable ?

But don't mess up your wife's … Oh No … You think your having problems now
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Update:

I logged on to my steam account from my wife's computer and installed Gameguru. Created a player start and winzone, saved, then saved standalone. It created the necessary directories under her documents folder and the .exe was there without issues.

Now I'm really at a loss. It IS my system and I don't know what it could be. I compared all my user and security settings with my wife's computer object by object and they are exactly the same. I built them both together. lol.

So, I'm dead in the water with GG. Very odd since it worked wonderful with an older version. I guess I'll move on to Unity and learn that. I really liked GG though.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Hopefully I'll get it to work in the future.
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 09:15 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 09:41
Hi 3dMan before you give up create a new account on your PC (New profile) give the new user administrator privileges remove steam and gg reboot the computer and log on as the new user if all went well windows 10 will create the profile on first logon then try installing steam and GG on that new profile and don't forget there are 3 exe's in the GG folder that are supposed to run as admin right click on each one choose properties go to the compatibility tab and select run as admin for ALL 3 of the exe's
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
You could test if your security settings in windows prevent this. Copy the GameGuru folder to a different place like the Download folder in your user directory. Steam saves everything per default in his common folder under Programm Files, but windows has some security settings which prevent read and write access in this folder.
Gg starts from every folder on your pc(if you go to this folder and start the GameGuru.exe), so there is no reason to let it in the programm files folder.

Try it
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 11:45 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 11:56
Quote: " guess I'll move on to Unity and learn that. I really liked GG though."

That's extreme … Surely would be quicker to reinstall Windows than learn Unity
Dont quote me on it in case its changed but Im pretty sure Unity also uses the Documents folder for resources as most do. That would be a pain in the butt if 6 months down the line your first standalone did the same thing.

Whatever you use is up to you and i wish you good luck but I would want to solve the problem either way ..
It would drive me nuts not knowing .
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 11:56 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 12:03
If you haven't already done so, right mouse click on the folder files not saving to and select properties etc and check you have write access I.e. full control and if not give yourself full control if you have admin rights ....
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 13:06
You could swap comps with the wife , only joking hope you find the answer

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 20:53 Edited at: 27th Jan 2019 20:54
Wow! Now after gutting GG and steam and starting over again, I manually recreated the /Game Guru Files/ My Games directories ( I didn't create it correctly last time ) and I have a different issue.

It starts to create the path then an error window pops up saying path cannot be found attempting to find my saved file. However, everything is good and I'm able to save to it. When I click the ok button to make the error window go away, another one pops up with "runtime error: 8003". This only happens when I manually create the standalone file path. When it's not there, it cannot create it.

But EVERYTHING is correct. My GG has a serious issue reading paths, no matter how many times I reinstall it.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 21:13
GG doesn't do anything special when accessing files, just uses the standard C/C++ calls. You have something screwed up in windows itself.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2019 22:54
Stop creating the folder manually. GG creates the games folder automatically when you create a standalone. I have never needed to create the folder manually. That's daft.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 00:33
I just tried to save a game on my laptop and it works for me . Windows 10 ,Norton AV .
I built a small test level . 1 bunker and a start marker . Save it , tested it and then did the Save Stand Alone . The file was in the Documents folder under Game Guru Files . . I run everything under ADMIN . This laptop is 1 yr. old so Game Guru was reinstalled thru Steam in November 2017 ...
Sorry I can't help you .

Game Guru Build 11.26.2018

Lance
Lance

Joined 22nd Jul 2003

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 01:10 Edited at: 28th Jan 2019 01:11
Quote: "You have something screwed up in windows itself."

Agreed .. Definitely Windows not GameGuru ..
I think that was confirmed when it installed and worked on your wife's ..
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 01:58 Edited at: 28th Jan 2019 02:35
Yes, it IS my system but I can't figure it our. And to Bored of the Rings . . . . .The issue is that GG does NOT create the directories needed to save the standalone. That's why I created it manually, to see what it would do.

Now as for my Windows 10, I have run diagnostics and nothing was found, not even in my registry. Everything seems clean and I don't have any issues with any of my other applications and I have a LOT, including some high-end 3D rendering software. Re-installing my OS is not an option at this times because of all the stuff I have installed. It would take me weeks to set everything up again.

So I'm stuck with a mystery. Too much time has been taken up on this forum and I apologize for that. Again I appreciate everyone's help but I think this is a dead issue. It's confirmed that it is MY system and not GG. But my system tests good and is an exact copy of my wife's system except for the software installed, and GG works on hers. So I don't know what to do next. Since this seems to be only happening with me, I think we are done here. Thanks again everyone for trying to help.

If I figure this out, I'll post an update just in case someone else ever has this issue.
PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
I found a solution! Woot! I have NO idea why this is happening but it was my login profile. I created a new user profile and it works fine. Switched back to my main profile and it's broke again. So when I need to work with GG, I'll have to switch over to my other profile then switch back. A pain, but it'll work for me at this point.

Thanks again all.
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 06:14
Yes it's called a corrupt profile which can be fixed via regedit.
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 08:30
A long shot but Windows Defender is not stopping it is it?
Check out my YouTube Gaming Channel: /user/MadLadDesigns
W10 Home 64-bit, Intel i3-7100 dual-core 3.90GHz, nVidia GTX1050 4Gb, 8Gb ram
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 08:40 Edited at: 28th Jan 2019 09:02
So the post I made yesterday morning would have sorted your issue I think you must have missed my post
Quote: "Hi 3dMan before you give up create a new account on your PC (New profile) give the new user administrator privileges remove steam and gg reboot the computer and log on as the new user if all went well windows 10 will create the profile on first logon then try installing steam and GG on that new profile and don't forget there are 3 exe's in the GG folder that are supposed to run as admin right click on each one choose properties go to the compatibility tab and select run as admin for ALL 3 of the exe's"

BTW it is not wise to run with a corrupt profile you might think things are running ok but I can guarantee that other applications will suffer all the applications you have installed will be available to your new profile all you need to do is copy your data across you don't need to keep switching.
is it a local account or a Microsoft account ?
if it's a local account you should have no problem if it's a Microsoft account switch it to a local account then copy the data over possibly copy it to the one drive Microsoft give you with the account then log back in with your Microsoft account
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2019 22:24
Quote: "You could swap comps with the wife"

mark this as an answer. LOL.

Please take a look to this, maybe may help: https://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take-ownership-permission-of-a-file-or-folder-manually-in-windows/

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
3dMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all. I'm in the process of moving everything over to my new profile but it will take a while since I have soooooo many things installed. lol. Yes, it's a local profile so shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again, I'm working comfortably in GG now.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 18:20:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 18:20:34