Product Chat / Gameguru: Tower Defense

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2019 20:05
I have the idea of making a tower defense game with gameguru..

It would be something that doesnt need big landscapes with massive details.

There is just one question:

Can it be done with lua scripting? Because it requires some sort of real time strategy controls... that means, no controlable player character.

Could be hard tbh.. Any experienced coders out there? What do you say?
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2019 20:40
check this link out for tower defense game, inspiring stuff :
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/222810
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2019 21:18
Can't see why not, if you can play chess in GG with Lua.

See if you can find an open source Lua tower defence program and port it to GG.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2019 21:54
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you should use a engine for your game and not the other way. AGK2 is definitely a better choice than GG for a tower defense game.

But if you really want to use GG, search for lua tower defense in github
There are a lot of repositories.
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2019 12:58 Edited at: 6th Jan 2019 13:00
GG would be more suited to a 3d plantsVzombies style game where the player has to defend a location against waves of zombies/monsters/aliens/soldiers using a set of weapons that can be strategically placed by the player to defend zones. After each wave any zone containing NPCs that are still 'alive' becomes lost to the player who then has the opportunity to add more defences or re-position existing ones. During each wave the player can re-load some of the weapons or maybe even take control of the aiming of weapons but restricted to one at a time.

The locations could be something like a shopping mall (classic zombie location ), factory, power station, airport etc. The 'weapons' available could be different for each location.

Before each wave starts the player would pick a zone to hide in during the attack, if any NPC manages to get into the zone the player is in then you lose a life, if the players defences wipe out all NPCs in the wave then you get a bonus life.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Can't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible. GG is not ideal though, as said above AGK is a far, far better bet. GG just isn't geared up for this sort of task and half the battle would be forcing it into the style you want.

I wrote something in DB ages back in this line. A moon defence type game. Never actually did anything with it though. I got the turrets turning and shooting etc but didn't get around to making the enemies anything like intelligent. The turrets could aim and shoot em well enough though
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
you're definitely going to need to use object pooling as GG still doesn't have any form of dynamic spawning so making units (enemies, towers etc) is going to cause issues depending on how much you scale the game.
*object pooling is creating a predetermined number of objects in advance and then reusing as needed rather than spawning in real time... this would get very laggy with many objects though - imagine you wanted a map with say 50 place-able tiles for towers, you would need 50 of every type of tower to not impose any restrictions on end players.

otherwise i don't see any reason why you can't use GG to make a tower defense game, you already have path finding for the enemies, ray casting and explosions etc for shooting from the towers.

as for the camera, i guess make an invisible third person character would work for testing (might have some collision issues when walking around though) or code your own using the lua camera commands.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2019 09:22
sorry for the late reply, I am currently sick and in bed often. But thanks for your thoughts, I will maybe get AGK in the future. talk to you soon.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2019 21:25
Quote: "sorry for the late reply, I am currently sick and in bed often. But thanks for your thoughts, I will maybe get AGK in the future. talk to you soon."

Just remember that AGK requires more coding than Game Guru
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2019 08:10
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Hehe. Yeah, AGK is literally a blank page and you start coding You have to do all the work from scratch (bar some default screen setup code etc) A far better option for anything other than a FPS shooter though you can make any game type you want and deploy on several platforms.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
This would probably help a bit but you will still need to code ..
https://store.steampowered.com/app/650840/AppGameKit__Visual_Editor/
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:54:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:54:59