Product Chat / [SOLVED] There has to be a way to disable the sun... please !!

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2018 15:35
Like the title says, some people really need this feature !

There has to be a way right?
It can't be that hard.

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2018 15:42
Like a clean start level you mean

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2018 17:10
yea at least something!

Clean start level is something we talk about for a while too !
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2018 22:46 Edited at: 7th Dec 2018 22:51
Setup INI

To turn off lightmapping from the sun directional light, you can open SETUP.INI and change the flag "lightmappingdeactivatedirectionallight=0" to "lightmappingdeactivatedirectionallight=1", then save and relaunch GameGuru.

Turn down sun settings in the TAB slider as well.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Tomik18
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 02:58
it would be great if it could be used at every level where it is more level. And how about shadowed characters in indoor lighting? Are dynamic shadows characters?
My PC specs: AMD FX 4300 3,80 Ghz
R9 280 3GB
8 GB RAM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 08:14
dynamic lights do not even exist in gg - dynamic shadows I mean. Wich is a real shame.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "dynamic lights do not even exist in gg - dynamic shadows I mean. Wich is a real shame."

Yeah, a real shame. Man always these developers who think that a loss of 30 to 70 Fps (it differs how much you use this feature and we all know some guys will use it extremely), is not that good.

Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 16:38
Does moving the sun rotation work in the skybox settings?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 17:15
Yes but you can't do it dynamically it is set once at game start.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 17:25
Quote: "Does moving the sun rotation work in the skybox settings?"

I believe it just changes the orientation of the skybox, not the position of the sun itself. And it's just the rotation, not the pitch (height) of the sun, or the colour.

Lee. Devs. I don't know how many times I can say this but, please, for pity's sake...

give us dynamic sun controls,
give us dynamic sun controls...

I've been harping on about this for best part of two years and yet still, here we are.

AE
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 19:01 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 19:06
Quote: "give us dynamic sun controls"

It seems such an easy thing to add, at least on the surface. I'm not sure if the current shaders need the sun to be static or not? It would be nice to actually be able to code the sun to move, if you wanted a more realistic day night cycle. Still, turning the sun off entirely should be an easy addition regardless.

Edit - Forgot to say. You can't rotate the sun to be underneath the floor by any chance? Not ideal, but might work, Teabones suggestion sounded plausible to me. I haven't really made any custom skyboxes beyond one I did years ago, so unsure myself.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 19:31 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 19:34
Wouldnt turning the sun off totally just be black ..
We do have sunset skies where the source seems to be right on the horizon so im guessing as Dvader said rotation is possible.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 19:50
Quote: "Wouldnt turning the sun off totally just be black .."

Great for inside levels tried putting a box around but made no difference .i can’t see why we can’t just turn it of

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 19:56 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 20:04
Quote: "Yeah, a real shame. Man always these developers who think that a loss of 30 to 70 Fps (it differs how much you use this feature and we all know some guys will use it extremely), is not that good. "

Do I get bashed now for requesting standard modern day engine features? Sure it would consume performance, of course I know that!
But this feature has been requested many times now by VARIOUS users.

even only for the flashlight, anything would be nice at this point.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 20:06

no, because there is still ambient lighting and surface level also controls placed lights too.
For indoor levels, some skyboxes will draw sunlight directly through level architecture wich is a real downer for inside level builds. ( and also is a bug honestly)
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 21:30 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 21:31

Yes, apart from the light sources and illumination maps in game For a completely indoor level with no windows, ideal. I'm guessing a dark cave underground is pretty black. Game Guru has been improving of late with lighting, I'm not sure if it's PBR or just the improved importer, but I'm mostly impressed with it graphically at the moment. A gripe which remains is the sun effect which can cause issues with indoor scenes and the shadows it creates. So turning it off would eliminate them. It may also give a few fps back...

One thought, would a gigantic thick block above and around the map block the light? Again not an ideal solution, but may be a way to eliminate the sunlight for now.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 21:32
Quote: "I've been harping on about this for best part of two years and yet still, here we are. "

and still you don't get the hint (just kidding)

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 21:40 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 21:41
Quote: "One thought, would a gigantic thick block above and around the map block the light? Again not an ideal solution, but may be a way to eliminate the sunlight for now."

I tried enclosing a level in a box but it didn’t work I’m afraid

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 22:15 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 22:15
"One thought, would a gigantic thick block above and around the map block the light?"

This would only work in a lightmapped scene I believe. With realtime lighting: No. it does not work. I would not be asking for this feature then
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 22:32 Edited at: 8th Dec 2018 22:43
Funny if I seal myself in a room with an object there is no sun, no shadows …
Must be blocking something ?

Weathers great outside

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "With realtime lighting: No. it does not work. I would not be asking for this feature then"

Even if it did I'd still ask A bit much to HAVE to place a big block to hide the light! Just a workaround until it was implemented ;p

I still say this is a feature that should be easy to implement. Turning things off should be a refreshing change in comparison to adding new stuff ;p
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 22:48
2013 Videos

Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a question:
Did someone use the sunsurface slider? And before I hear again "there is a bug, it is not working", you actually need to lightmap your level before it is working.
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 23:21
Quote: "Did someone use the sunsurface slider?"

OF COURSE. ANd it does nothing. An issue a reported Months ago on github.

Quote: "you actually need to lightmap your level before it is working."

Nothing to add here... The Lightmapper is not fully functional right now...

Quote: "Funny if I seal myself in a room with an object there is no sun, no shadows …
Must be blocking something ?"

It's not about the terrain light itself, its about entities in that indoor area being LIT by the SUN where this should not be the case.

It depends on the skybox tho. Some skyboxes make entities glow like christmas trees, others are rather subtile and suitable for indoor areas.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2018 23:31
it does not matter at all, the feature would be nice. And there is nothing to argue with that, right?
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "OF COURSE. ANd it does nothing. An issue a reported Months ago on github."

Look in the shaders:

It should do nothing with realtime lightning. You can only use it with a lightmapped level. I do not know why, but this is a feature, not a bug! I read you issue on github, but after this is a "feature", I simply ignored it.

Yes the feature would be nice but for this less money I would not do it. Sorry.
Quote: "Test Room Mode - Create a 3D test room and flag in SETUP to replace terrain with empty test room - £75 - OPEN"
Thread and Download
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2018 00:12
ah I see. And now I also get why you take this so seriously. I ask this feature to be added by Lee, not by the community. Should have stated that in the initial post. Never mind.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2018 00:53 Edited at: 9th Dec 2018 01:15
Brought this up before
( Just noticed that was a year ago this month )

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218954

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2018 18:39 Edited at: 10th Dec 2018 18:51
You might also want to maybe disable PBR. As it will help rid you off the skybox/terrain cube reflection on some indoor models.

I've had issues with sun bleeding in interiors. The fix was thickening walls. I was advised this several years ago prior EBE days.

Just thinking of some possible work-arounds. Since that's what using Game Guru is all about

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2018 23:55
Quote: "Just thinking of some possible work-arounds. Since that's what using Game Guru is all about "

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 11th Dec 2018 03:49 Edited at: 11th Dec 2018 03:49
It works perfectly.
You simply need to edit the setup file, change 0 to 1 lightmappingdeactivatedirectionallight=1.Additionally you can bake without lights and then add dynamic lights or add static lights and bake. It's absolute nonsense that the slider isn't working it is working perfectly fine when you add the 1 to the lightmappingdeactivatedirectionallight= in the setup file of course it isn't going to work.

Here is an indoor level of the cold war dlc, perfectly lightmapped.

Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm confused. Wasn't this post initially about real time lighting? I didn't think baking even had a problem? I must have missed something along the line.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You simply need to edit the setup file, change 0 to 1 lightmappingdeactivatedirectionallight=1"

Cool. I did not know this, but it works with realtime and lightmapped levels.
Thread and Download
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2018 20:00 Edited at: 11th Dec 2018 20:05
Quote: "but it works with realtime and lightmapped levels"

I need to try that.

Lightmapping is not an option because a lightmaped level is far more bigger than a non baked one.
and the bigger the level the more likely memory problems (missing entities and such) will occur.
And dont say that this is not true, I have proof videos on my channel. I was forced to cancel mulitple projects because of that.

People wich tried to make actual games instead of just one level will confirm this too.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2018 23:02
Quote: "Lightmapping is not an option"

Yeah, I tend to agree.
Right now if you lightmap a level that has one or more models using an _illumination map, one or more of the models will have its illumimation map tiled all over it, in fact usually only One of them won't - a bug that has always been there for PBR models.

In all my tests with lightmapping - while it is much better than before - there will be somewhere that the process detracts from the scene.

Real-time lighting always looks way better to me anyway, so surely there is a better way.

Personally I think we also need to get away from having to 'simply edit the setup file', all these tweaks should be accessible via the Game Guru editor, and should also be on a per Level basis.

Just my 2 cents

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2018 23:13
Quote: "Personally I think we also need to get away from having to 'simply edit the setup file', all these tweaks should be accessible via the Game Guru editor, and should also be on a per Level basis."

Exactly

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2018 23:23 Edited at: 12th Dec 2018 01:06
Half of what's in the setup.ini should be game/map specific, though this is not the case. I've always wanted Game Guru to launch asking you to start a new game/project or load one. This project would keep all connected maps/levels in one folder of its own. Most of the aspects in the setup.ini should be settings within the editor for your overall project and sub settings per map/level.

Also with each new project it would copy over all your asset bank folders so that you can modify them as you please without altering other projects using those resources. This would also give your standalone build some headway, as most of the work with the media would already be extracted from the Steam folder core.

But let's be honest and real here.... Github has 230+ items on it including bugs and feature requests and its growing weekly....
so you know, wishful thinking. Game Guru is and will always be about work-arounds not much room left for dreaming this far in. We kind of have to rogue it and find solutions for ourselves.

Id do the setup.ini change and take off PBR mode and finally enclose your interior in a static shell entity mesh so the sun cannot pass through, as noted above by synchromesh. You can if you wish do this by stretching static entities by warping them with the widget. Also I would suggest (sadly) reducing or removing Global Specularity entirely to prevent the sun spots on the floor from appearing. I'm currently working on an interior map at the moment and facing similar issues and am using these work-arounds to cut corners to make it all work.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " Also I would suggest (sadly) reducing or removing Global Specularity entirely"

You can actually set the individual specularity value in the editor properties panel, so maybe just do that for the offending items?
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2018 15:40
Thanks for all your comments.

Quote: "You can actually set the individual specularity value in the editor properties panel, so maybe just do that for the offending items?"

its about the terrain specular lights.
In inside areas, it is really distracting when the terrain reflects the "sun" with a specular light shimmer. Totally out of place!
It is simple things like that that matter at the end.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In inside areas, it is really distracting when the terrain reflects the "sun" with a specular light shimmer."

If I were doing an indoor level I would not use the terrain at all (FPS+++). However, I've played your great looking game, so realise why you want it. By the way, haven't noticed any serious light issues when I played it so perhaps you are too critical ;p It's easy to pick fault when you have run the game a thousand times Actual players may not really notice.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2018 19:58
Quote: "It's easy to pick fault when you have run the game a thousand times"

that is very true lol - stay tuned on a new download soon I rebooted the project and started from scratch again with different enemies.
I will post a download in the corresponding thread as soon as its ready.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2018 22:16 Edited at: 13th Dec 2018 03:29
Quote: "You can actually set the individual specularity value in the editor properties panel, so maybe just do that for the offending items?"

True, though unsure if this can be done for EBE pieces. Though EBE pieces do have their own FPE sort of file. I've not played around too much with those properties.

Another thing you can do , duch, is take down the surface lighting and up the atmospheric lighting.

Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 08:06
Quote: "Another thing you can do , duch, is take down the surface lighting and up the atmospheric lighting"

I appreciate the advice T, but my level would look horrid with ambient lights increased. There is a reason I need surface lights so badly. Cant have glowing mushrooms with ambient lights, see ?
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 10:34 Edited at: 13th Dec 2018 10:39
V 2017.09 DX11 BETA 25

* Added 'lightmappingdeactivatedirectionallight=0' to SETUP.INI
* Added 'lightmappingambientred=25' to SETUP.INI
* Added 'lightmappingambientgreen=25' to SETUP.INI
* Added 'lightmappingambientblue=25' to SETUP.INI
* NOTE: Set above to 1,75,75,75 for sun everywhere
* NOTE: Set above to 1,0,0,0 for sun nowhere (static lights require) <------------------------------------------- Maybe this works?

[hmmm or maybe not, just tried it , didn't do anything for me. how poop]
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 11:32
We just need to get rid of the sun,simple

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 12:52
It can be done with a relatively simple shader tweak. For Cogwheel the sun surface factor is changed to affect the primary sun light strength. This allows me to have it high for outdoor parts of the world and turn the sun off or down for interiors of buildings caves etc using existing lua commands. Why it isn’t used this way as default I don’t know unless the decision was made to make it exclusive for light mapping only (which I don’t use). But I faced the same problem, sun and reflections appearing inside buildings where I only wanted general illumination and dynamic lights so I made the change. I’ll see if I can post a version that does this for you but will take me a little while as the shaders I use now are almost totally custom so will have tweak the latest stock version and test.

Cheers.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 13:36 Edited at: 13th Dec 2018 13:37
Thanks cybernescence for your time,I was told there would be a clean start level a year ago and like a lot of things it never turned up

(Can't remember who but someone even donated money for it )

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 13:43
Hopefully get to it tonight - will make a change from trying to get shadows working for flashlight and spotlights. I’ve got close but just something I’m missing about getting perspective instead of orthogonal light views properly working - shadow maths is hard (well for me - I need a Preben brain )

Cheers.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 14:45 Edited at: 13th Dec 2018 14:47
time to mess around with the source code. I want to also remove the terrain as I want to make a space game, no good with blooming terrain in the way unless I'm landing on a planet
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2018 15:04
Quote: "time to mess around with the source code. I want to also remove the terrain"

Please

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:28:45
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:28:45