Product Chat / [SOLVED] GameGuru & dbo files.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi.

I'm curious to know as to why GameGuru creates dbo files when i'm using .x format?

Regards
Tony

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2018 13:24
Taken from another post

Quote: "dbo is way smaller size than the x file and i think its easier for the engine to deal with"

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2018 13:51
Security, performance, legacy compatibility, annoyance factor, lot's of reasons.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The reasons above and because it's a throwback from Dark Basic and GG uses a lot of old DB code, even though it has been converted to C++. Back when FPSC was popular I purchased many FPSC models to use in DB Pro
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 8th Oct 2018 12:29
Quote: "The reasons above and because it's a throwback from Dark Basic and GG uses a lot of old DB code, even though it has been converted to C++. Back when FPSC was popular I purchased many FPSC models to use in DB Pro"
Gameguru has barely any DB code left if any. DBO is easier to handle then X file, because it's a TGC format means they can update as they see fit, I think DBO is also a pretty raw format meaning the engine deals with it a lot faster, conversion from DBO is a lot easier then X, and rarely run into compatibility issues.

I have basically abandoned X files altogether, I only make use of FBX or DBO period, animations included I import DBO directly and do not rely on the engine to create DBO files.
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
There's nothing wrong with DBO files, I was just saying the dbo format is from the DB days and has been kept in as the format for GG. It's a pity they can't load into AGK out the box. As for old legacy code, not sure as I haven't looked at it, but it used to be the case that a lot of old stuff was hanging around( a lot not even used). Things have been changing at a fair pace these days though, so that may no longer be the case.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 8th Oct 2018 15:33
I actually adjusted my workflow, it's basically FBBO or obj-DBO, if I do animation I bypass DX entirely and go directly from a modern animating supporting format to DBO. Period, I HATE directX with a passion.
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
TStrike
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I think i'll start using DBO files instead of .x
PM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2018 14:25
@Dvader-I'm looking into getting DBO's into AGK at the moment. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, nice one Bored of the Rings!
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 11:03 Edited at: 25th Oct 2018 11:04
just a quick pic (sorry, I know it's not GameGuru related), showing an EBE structure being imported into AGK. Was converted to X format first using my DBO2X app but I will read in the DBO content inside AGK and use mesh memblocks (tier1). Unfortunately, I don't think tier 1 in AGK has any mesh memblock pointers which would have been a lot more useful. Ignore, the sphere, that will be removed.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2018 10:31 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2018 10:33
My little AGK proggy now reads in DBO data directly and working on the meshmemblock side, so that a .X file is not needed first to load in which is what my other app does.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Bored of the Rings: Wow that is great news , the only thing is that we dont have access to animation date, so this will be for static object only. Or perhaps also make a .x export option so we could save the .x and then LoadObjectsWithChildren after

Cant wait to try this...
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2018 13:13
ah yes, I meant to add that it will only work with static meshes and will in addition add .X export option. Quite a bit to do as I'm revamping / converting current DBO2X app to AGK. Eventually for both tier2 and not just for tier1.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2018 21:14
ok, not right yet as it's the first time I've messed with AGK meshmemblocks and doing calculations in my head so faces not correct , but it will be soon. Anyway, here is Elhumongo.DBO read into AGK and converted to (almost) meshmemblock. Once I get all this perfected, need to add the UV's of which my program can now read up to 8 UV coords from the DBO based on it's FVF size. Will see where this goes.

Attachments

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 2nd Nov 2018 22:22
There are some top notch coders in this community - you being one of them - awesome stuff.

Cheers.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2018 06:51 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2018 11:56
many thanks Cybernescence, much appreciated.

Here is another 2 pics of Elhumongo, with fixed indices, i made a small miscalculation. Also, played around with some color. Anyway, will progress onto getting the UVs to work with the actual textures. At the moment, I'm not sure how many UV coords AGK handles, I'm hoping it's more than 1. this also works wth PBR/EBE DBO's (although I need it to work with more that 1 mesh which should be relatively simple). Static objects only.

[updated-added a pic of the GG PBR dragon DBO-saved out as a meshmemblock file and reloaded back into AGK as an object and rotated. Texturing to do next after some chores.]

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2018 06:57 Edited at: 7th Nov 2018 06:59
Added UV's to imported DBO to AGK meshmemblock (1 set for now), adding the others where needed next for staging. Also removed the culling so object now appears solid. Will test that out on a PBR/EBE type DBO. Also, need to change the name of the project to something more appropriate.

Anyway, last pic here as I didn't really want to hijack the OP's thread.

Attachments

m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
After looking thru this thread, I did a comparison on one of my "x" files versus the "dbo" file. The dbo file is less than 1/2 the size of the x file.
135 kb versus 61.5 kb. This leads me to think I should use dbo files in my fpe files in the future.

My question: Will this cause any problems?

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK 10,794|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,071
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2018 17:24 Edited at: 9th Nov 2018 17:30
Given this conversion, is it say to say its more preferred to use DBO files with our game packages instead of carrying over .X files as well? I'm always looking for optimization shortcuts

Also is it safe to say Game Guru doesn't actually use .X files? Just the generated DBO files from .X files?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2018 17:58
I don't think .x files are carried over in the standalone only the dbo files and textures.

dbo files are binary, .x files tend to be text (although you can save them as binary to save space) which explains why they are bigger.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 9th Nov 2018 19:38
Yeah .x can be a lot smaller if saved in binary, mostly people save it in trxt format because when you embed the materials in the model its easier to exit texture references on multi texture models without putting it back throughva modelling software.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2018 13:50 Edited at: 16th Nov 2018 16:19
@Dvader, Preben or anyone who might be interested:

AGK code is now more flexible to work with multi FVF sizes and the AppGameKit mesh memblock stores up to 8 UV coords and any diffuse color that might be set in the DBO using uv - uv7 and color attribs. more pics and maybe source code will be attached soon all going well.

Works with Legacy, PBR and EBE type DBO's. More pics and link to the app to be posted on TGC AGK forums at some point. Maybe source if anyone wants to play around with it once code is clean/optimised.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2018 14:25 Edited at: 16th Nov 2018 14:32
small pic (ok not quite the last one ), shows EBE basic structure (a bit naff knocked up quickly building ), with multi UV Coords stored within multi meshes, this DBO has FVF size 56. The 1st mesh (a spikey sphere) is hidden as not added the multi mesh handling code yet but will be my next step. What I also want to do is dump out the whole of the AppGameKit Meshmemblock data for debugging and analysis (my speciality):

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2018 10:25 Edited at: 20th Nov 2018 10:26
Source code now posted here for anyone that might find it useful, works with all types of DBO including GameGuru PBR and EBE DBOs. Multimeshes and up to 8 UV coords supported:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220249

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:08:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:08:19