Product Chat / [LOCKED] 1600 Hours in gg - and no real results. Any advice?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2018 00:40 Edited at: 30th Sep 2018 00:41
Just all being here on the forum together and talking is Collaborating …
I really dont think the first thing on anyone's mind who reads that thinks .." Oh we can all make a game together "
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2018 20:45
actually that seems to be pretty popular amongst most every other engine, where teams are almost outright required.

anyways, with GG in it's current state (incapable of consistently building a one-man game) I don't think that teams, which will produce a larger scope game that it almost certainly wouldn't be able to produce, would be any more successful than individuals or small 2-man teams, or a guy hiring a freelancer from time to time.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2018 01:09 Edited at: 1st Oct 2018 01:10
GG isn't really a team engine .. Only one person could edit the mapfile at a time … Also everyone would require the same assets ( you cannot share ) its just so awkward unless you just had the Game Designer, Modeller, Scripter and everyone just did their job.
This maybe ok and workable for around 5 people who stick to thier own thing .. But a community Project .. Cant see it working.
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Oct 2018 08:56
collaborative works quite well in GG, a 3D artist can work alongside a scripter and a level designer quite easily, and the results can be amazing
happens everyday in my world LOL
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Various Tutorials by me
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2018 10:09 Edited at: 1st Oct 2018 10:19
Quote: "collaborative works quite well in GG, a 3D artist can work alongside a scripter and a level designer quite easily, and the results can be amazing
happens everyday in my world LOL"

Yes like I said with a reasonably sized group it can with everyone sticking to their own task …. However when it comes to a community the first argument will be the type of game .. Sci-fi, WWII etc etc ..

This isn't one person who wants to make a game and needs a scripter, modeller etc …. We are talking a whole community and there is no way a whole community collaborate to make a game together every day in your world ..
Sorry don't believe it because that's what were talking about .
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2018 11:51 Edited at: 1st Oct 2018 11:51
We all collaborate constantly, just think of all the help you get here when you run into an issue and all the scripts and models by other artists you use. Imagine what your game would look like if you had none of that.

Team requests however have caused issues in the past for the following reasons:

1. In-group fighting that is then held on the forums. Bad blood between community members.

2. Unclear/Neboulus rules about sharing copyrighted content.

3. Most notably: New users without experience trying to form teams to realize their ideas. While this sounds fairly innocuous it can cause a lot of distraction and wasted time. Sadly users pretending to have experiences in fields they don't and users pretending to run a studio which they don't is common with these types of threads.

4. Users recruiting people for a commercial project. This is a complicated thing that requires agreements, contracts and diligent observation of copyright laws (and laws in general, if you recruit someone underage for a commercial video game that can, in theory, be iffy from a legal stand point). These forums should not be a part of that.

We have nothing against people forming teams and maybe even start their own indie studio, not in the slightest, the forums are simply not the plattform to do so. If you are ready to form a team, you likely have IM client data or e-mail addresses of the people you wish to work with anyway.

-Wolf
Titantropo
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Diablo III
Posted: 3rd Oct 2018 22:08 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2018 22:12
I thought about it because it would save the thousands of hours we spend working and only a few of us achieve something. At least it would take fewer hours to finish. Of course it would be almost impossible to have hundreds of people working on it at the same time.

What could be done was a sort of contest: form a few small teams (we would have to solve the problem of the assets), and build a game. Then Lee and the rest of the TGC would juge the games. Something like that. It would be good for the ones that are stuck, they could learn much, and for TGC to have more games to show.
Here, there and everywhere.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2018 23:38 Edited at: 12th Oct 2018 23:42
Or? if we had some standalone multiplayer going (heh I know your gonna love this) we could at least make a 1-3 level of something people can actually play thing is I see time and time again requests for this and that...then it goes quiet then more requests … ditto the one thing that I haven't seen tried yet is just that. Yes I know its on the list maybe, but I'm not seeing anything new single player updates or no. Don't get me wrong I do appreciate Lee's hard work on getting things working, I just think GG needs some sort of basic standalone multiplayer just to get the multiplayer heads interested. I have tried single player as you guys well know and made some half decent bits and bats but it generated erm on the whole abuse lol. so lets have some kind of mental doom style multiplayer that we can expand on later to full blown rpg style stuff later just my 10p's worth
P.s yes I'm still here
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
The good thing about MP is you don't have to rely on AI so we can appreciate the MP maps
Even as it is now we could have great fun but I can also see from the development perspective that if no one uses it then it gives the impression even a standalone would make no difference so why put time into it ..
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 21:07
no one use it.... because at the moment u need GG to play multiplayer games...
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2018 22:40
lol - I don't use multiplayer because it doesn't work at all for me

I am not aware of any work that has been done on it since it's first inception, so haven't tried it for a while now

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 02:03 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 02:05
Quote: "no one use it.... because at the moment u need GG to play multiplayer games..."

I still dont get that ...
I need quake to play Quake MP
I need Half Life to play Half Life MP
In fact i dont think i have a game where i dont need the game to play MP ?
Am I that old I don't get it
PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 09:16
Synchro,
U create a game called Quake 3000, u sell it to your customers.
But for the multiplayer part your customers need a copy of GG... that’s the stupid thing.
It’s like if I want to play Crysis 3 MP, I have to buy the engine first....
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 13:18 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 13:30
Quote: "U create a game called Quake 3000, u sell it to your customers.
But for the multiplayer part your customers need a copy of GG... that’s the stupid thing.
It’s like if I want to play Crysis 3 MP, I have to buy the engine first.... "

Ok but can you play Crysis 3 MP without owning Crysis 3 ?
I stopped playing MP around Half-Life II … Back then and now you download HL2 Deathmatch But you still needed to own the game to play so sorry for my ignorance if things have changed .
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 13:39 Edited at: 15th Oct 2018 16:09
removed from the author because offtopic
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2018 13:43
And we are in offtopic land. For further discussion of the multiplayer feature I'd like to direct you to the appropriate sub-boards, gang!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 11:07:22
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 11:07:22