Product Chat / GG Coding / Workflow Revelation?

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 02:07 Edited at: 9th Aug 2018 02:10
I was sitting around thinking about my development workflow recently. I have my favourite tools for modelling, texturing etc but since the days of FPSC and DBPro I've not thought about the coding side of things much.

So I noticed all the developers at work using the same IDE on their Mac's and instantly thought it must be some Mac only software or really expensive. It turned out to be Visual Studio Code.

I've always stayed away from VS because it became so large over the years and began to feel overwhelming. However to my surprise it turns out VS Code is extremely lightweight (around 50mb), completely free and ... beautiful.

It comes with full support for a numbr of languages and GIT out of the box then you can download extensions for any specific integration you want to achieve. Its well supported and lots of people saying great things.

So I'm now looking at this in the hope I can use VS Code for GG development either modding the C++ source code or writing LUA scripts in the same place. You can even directly integrate with Unity game engine using C#.

Visual Studio Code (Windows / Mac):
https://code.visualstudio.com/

Visual Studio Code C++ Extension:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.cpptools

Visual Studio Code LUA Extension:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=trixnz.vscode-lua

Visual Studio Code GIT:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/introvideos/versioncontrol

Visual Studio Code Unity:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

I would love to hear if anyone is using VS Code and if possible to use this instead of VS 2015 for modding the GG source code. If not, I think I will still use this for LUA scripting and Unity integration but if it can be used with GG then Christmas has come early for me!
Tomik18
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 09:30
and what about integration steamworks in GG ? is this possible ?
My PC specs: AMD FX 4300 3,80 Ghz
R9 280 3GB
8 GB RAM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 12:41
yes I use VS 2017 for updating the GameGuru source code and yes you could integrate steamworks in GG.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Tomik18
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 12:49
Quote: "yes I use VS 2017 for updating the GameGuru source code and yes you could integrate steamworks in GG."

But how ? Can you integrate steamworks ?
R9 280 3GB
8 GB RAM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 12:50 Edited at: 9th Aug 2018 12:53
Quote: "So I'm now looking at this in the hope I can use VS Code for GG development either modding the C++ source code or writing LUA scripts in the same place."

I used it for lua too, but I remove it because I can not work in more than one folder, so I go back to sublimetext. Of course you can mod the source, but I have no clue if everything works fine and will compile. VS installs a lot of libraries which you need, so nobody can tell you if it works. Test it and tell us. I am interested if it works for you

Quote: "and what about integration steamworks in GG ? is this possible ?"

Everything is possible. The engine is written in C++. Is it easy? Not at all, because you need to modify it so, a GG-developer can use it for his own needs. After there is no real use case at the moment, I think we will not see something like this before the multiplayer is on a level where steamworks make sense

Quote: "yes I use VS 2017 for updating the GameGuru source code and yes you could integrate steamworks in GG."

He want to use VS Code not VS2017.
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Tomik18
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 14:11
Someone working on integration steamworks ?
R9 280 3GB
8 GB RAM
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 14:46
ah, read first post quickly, ok VS Code? will ask my colleague.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2018 21:05
I just downloaded and installed VS Code. I'm not sure if I will be using it as yet for C++. Installed C# extension as I wanted to refresh my understanding of C using # rather than C++. I don't think I will probably use it for doing lua scripts because I found that Notepad ++ works extremely well -- especially with Bolt Action Gaming's API which is in an XML format and can easily be modified/add GG commands. I still believe this is the best standalone editor using lua for GG. I would give it a try for the sole reason for scripting for GG. That's not exactly why Nomad Soul is using this for lua as well.

@Nomad, I will be sending you a link to the files you asked for in a couple of hours. I will use GG PM to give you the link.
Alienware Aurora R7 with SSD 256GB boot drive ( C: ) and a secondary drive ( D: ) that is 2TB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 with Intel Turbo-burst
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10 Home
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8192 MB GDDR5 and 8095 MB shared system memory
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I would imagine that you would have to use the same version of VS as Lee is using. Older versions may lack specific libraries. Newer ones would probably be okay at a guess.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2018 08:35
I use vi.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2018 23:10 Edited at: 11th Aug 2018 23:15
Quote: "I used it for lua too, but I remove it because I can not work in more than one folder, so I go back to sublimetext. Of course you can mod the source, but I have no clue if everything works fine and will compile. VS installs a lot of libraries which you need, so nobody can tell you if it works. Test it and tell us. I am interested if it works for you"

There is a VS Code extension called project manager which handles multiple folders. I'm guessing it might be necessary to use VS2015+ to compile GG but hopefully I can set VS Code as the primary code editor and GIT integration.

Quote: "ah, read first post quickly, ok VS Code? will ask my colleague. "

Cheers. Would be good to get alternative views on this.

Quote: "I just downloaded and installed VS Code. I'm not sure if I will be using it as yet for C++. Installed C# extension as I wanted to refresh my understanding of C using # rather than C++. I don't think I will probably use it for doing lua scripts because I found that Notepad ++ works extremely well -- especially with Bolt Action Gaming's API which is in an XML format and can easily be modified/add GG commands. I still believe this is the best standalone editor using lua for GG. "

Its possible to create custom language themes for VS Code but appreciate it would be a lot of work. I'll give notepad++ a try for the specific purpose of GG LUA scripting and may even look at doing a GG extension for VS Code if the XML can be ported over to JSON.

Quote: "I would imagine that you would have to use the same version of VS as Lee is using. Older versions may lack specific libraries. Newer ones would probably be okay at a guess."

Yeah. VS Code probably won't have all the VS libraries required to compile GG out of the box so I guess it will either be a case of copying them across if thats possible or linking them so I can use VS Code to edit / manage the files.

Quote: "I use vi."

LOL. Thats probably a little too hardcore for me but interesting to hear what other people are using.

One of the things I'm really enjoying about VS Code is how beautiful and well designed the editor is. In my opinion it works much better than the larger VS products as its very clean and modern and allows you to focus on coding rather than navigating around stuff. It also has very good debugging tools / extensions. As one reviewer said on Youtube, VS Code is so pretty it makes him want to write code!
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2018 23:30 Edited at: 11th Aug 2018 23:31
I was joking, . I use Notepad++ for Lua scripting on the PC.

Mind you I really miss the power of vi, never could get the hang of emacs though.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2018 23:49 Edited at: 11th Aug 2018 23:49
Ahh emacs ... created by the great Richard Stallman. My favourite Stallman moral dillema:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LizeRqRgM90#t=2m50s

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 16:19:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 16:19:34