Product Chat / [SOLVED] day & night cycle decal crash, pls help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Jul 2018 17:40
Hi, i was trying to use the day night cycle but it crash, someone can help me to fix that broken?
Windows 10 pro
8 gb ram, asus Geforce gtx 660 2gb, 2TB, amd 3280 4 core, 8 logic

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 1st Jul 2018 17:52
What day and night cycle? There isn't an official one, there are however various community created day/night scrpt's, if it's one of them you would need to speak to whoever created it.
[img]belidos3d.swgrp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/blogo.png[/img]
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If you mean the day and night skybox it has never worked with DX11."
Well that means the Galaxy seed skysphere must be broken and any media which use the older shaders and explains a lot of missing stuff in the last release. It baffles me though why so much which comes with the software package is 'put aside till later' with these updates and it appears only basic static entities have been prepared for it. So much for hyping 6GB of media when most of it won't work anymore.

In fact I cant even start GameGuru now and get a black screen/window/black screen/window endless loop which I have no way of even closing from task manager.

Stop rushing these things out, most of this should have been implemented from the very start or at the least finished properly and store Artists better informed before release as updates. I don't release half finished stuff to the store with the expectation I will make it work "later on" so nor should TGC with their product.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I did a clean install and none of the Galaxy media and other missing stuff so can't tell if it's supposed to be included or not.

Take a look at the galaxy seed specs in the skybank and let me know which shader it now points to, you could also try pointing the day/night skydome to that shader and see if it works

;Optional Sky Shader
SkyShader =
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2018 21:52 Edited at: 1st Jul 2018 21:53
It just crashes if it tries to load an X9 shader effect. So a lot of your media, rolfy, will now crash the editor Unfortunate because its amazing content!

I believe there might have been a more elegant and backwards compatible solution for this.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2018 22:37 Edited at: 1st Jul 2018 23:15
Quote: "It just crashes if it tries to load an X9 shader effect. So a lot of your media, rolfy, will now crash the editor Unfortunate because its amazing content!

I believe there might have been a more elegant and backwards compatible solution for this. "

I would hope there is a solution....still, if I can't even get the program to run I don't expect I will be fixing it myself. So perhaps best to remove it all from the store till a solution is provided. I suppose this applies to all media which used DX9 shaders?
Quote: "
Using sky_scroll.fx with day night skybox just turns the whole sky black."

Since all the skyspheres and domes are built the same way with only some direction changes on the scrolling (mostly done through the uv's at modeling stage) it should make no difference.

At the moment I am just treating GameGuru as I would any software which crashes into a loop at start up and uninstalling it....verified a few times and still not seeing the missing media and whatever else is lacking. Was going to look at the PBR shaders but it's a no-go so will wait till further down the line.....maybe
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 01:27 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2018 01:33
The Galaxy seed sky seems works well …
I just cannot load the map in at the moment because the assets have the shader problem for me
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 05:00
Quote: "I suppose this applies to all media which used DX9 shaders?"

Not the stock ones. But custom shaders reset the editor for me. I get the same error Bod gets.
Which is disheartening, considering that I have a large collection of shader effects I wanted to use in GG.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 06:55
ugh I'm so disappointed Galaxy Seed level does not look how it should anymore. Missing loads of media and it looks horrific. I set the forcetestshader... parameter and pbroverride params to 1 and 0 resepctively after deleting the infamous blob files and it still looks terrible. I reverted back to the old dx9 version of GG, ahhhhhh there it is in all it's glory. What a mess.
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 08:35
To be fair Lee did announce the DX11 switch a long time ago (at least a year IIRC) so authors of custom shaders have had plenty of time to fix them!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 10:00 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2018 10:07
Quote: "To be fair Lee did announce the DX11 switch a long time ago (at least a year IIRC) so authors of custom shaders have had plenty of time to fix them! "

No engine escapes problems with huge upgrades.. There were even shader issues from Unity 4 to 5.
Im surprised users are surprised there would be problems … Such a big jump to DX11 ..
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 16:48 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2018 17:18
Quote: "To be fair Lee did announce the DX11 switch a long time ago (at least a year IIRC) so authors of custom shaders have had plenty of time to fix them! "
This shader is part of the Galaxy seed pack as are others which now come included with GameGuru as stock , they should have been updated along with all other stock shaders no matter who wrote them. Since Preben appears to have written most of the DX11 shaders then it follows he will be responsible for fixing them up for all future changes according to your logic? I don't think so.
They took the time to fix the skydome shader for Galaxy seed but don't appear to have bothered with the rest of it, I did this work some time ago and my obligation ended then.
IF I can get this product to run properly without crashing then I will take a look at fixing my store products if not then I will simply remove them and be done with it. Anything else is TGC's responsibility so go complain to them.

I already stated above that all these skyspheres are modeled the same so no reason I can think of that would cause problems, if I have to create a custom shader for every individual item I produce then it isn't worth it. I have removed these from sale and probably just remove the lot till this gets sorted out, it really isn't my problem if GameGuru is now exclusive to it's own shaders. From what I am reading around here it isn't just my own 'custom' media that has issues.

As for the original post question it is a free item and again not something I am under any obligation to fix even if I did have the time. Goes without saying if I fix the others then that too would be updated but I don't think anyone around here is going to tell me I had plenty of warning to do so. Particularly when no one around here had a clue what might be required themselves ....it is only now that issues are being brought up. Yes it was obvious there would be some problems but patronising people in hindsight isn't so clever.
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 20:13
To all the 3d modelers and programmers. we do appreciate what you guys are doing for us.
and yes i believe it could be very frustrating if your completed work all of a sudden does not work with and update,
i feel for you guys.

But once again thanks to all of you for your generosity
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2018 01:28 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2018 01:34
Quote: "This shader is part of the Galaxy seed pack as are others which now come included with GameGuru as stock"

Actually I kind of agree with Rolfy on this one simply because Galaxy seed is Indeed stock content and not just stock content. Its actually used as a showcase of GG capabilities ..

I don't think its been dropped or it all would have been removed … Perhaps its on Lees to do list ?
EDIT..
I just added it to Github anyway as it is stock content that causes GG to crash.
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
synchromesh:
Quote: " as it is stock content that causes GG to crash"

There is no stock shaders that causes GG to crash, all included shaders has been updated , even all the Galaxy Seed shaders.

I do not know what day_night.fx is, but its not part of GG stock ?

If day_night.fx is just doing UV scrolls as Rolfy is saying , then you should be able to just replace the shader with "sky_scroll.fx" ?

As Bod say "That still works for me but the Day Night skybox crashes GameGuru whenever I try it." , Galaxy Seed is working but the "Day Night skybox" is crashing GG , that one is not stock ?

Bored of the Rings: What is missing ?

Dave_utopias:
Quote: "day & night cycle decal crash, pls help"

Could you post a link to the script , decal or what your trying to get working ?

Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2018 09:20
@Preben, will double check again, my eyesight is a bit rubbish at the moment
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2018 09:50
ok, so could have sworn there were creature and colourful plant entities scattered around either that or I'm going mad ha

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "There is no stock shaders that causes GG to crash,even all the Galaxy Seed shaders. "

I was just assuming it was the shaders as that was blamed as the cause ?
Im pretty clueless on shaders myself

I just reported it on GitHub as " Galaxy seed no longer works and crashes GG in the process "
Just because it is stock content
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2018 18:56 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2018 18:56
Quote: "I just reported it on GitHub as " Galaxy seed no longer works and crashes GG in the process "
Just because it is stock content "

i'm going to confuse things even further by saying that mine doesn't crash - i just opened it and tested because of the thread
galaxy seed skybox also works fine so definitely not the skybox causing the crash(?).
i am using the public preview though if that makes any difference? (never touched the shaders or github though so everything else is as standard).

can confirm that "day night" skybox does return a shader error though (it still doesn't crash though, simply lets me close the error and select a different skybox)
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2018 21:31
Galaxy seedo sky box is working for me too, tried to test day night but I dont seemy to have it, are you sure it's stock?
Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2018 23:42 Edited at: 4th Jul 2018 00:25
Finally got GameGuru running, all the skydomes run fine using the new shader but a little confused as to why the shader pointed to in specs seems to redirect to another shader, does this mean you need to create two new .fx files if you want to use different shader tweaks?, will need to look closer at this.
For some reason the day/night skydome doesn't play well at all and for now baffled by this but will again look a little closer at it.

As for Galaxy Seed this was trashed pretty quickly after handing over to TGC and has never looked the way it should, I opened it up and lots of missing entities with things moved around and scaled entities all appear to have lost scaling as well and now appearing tiny. The fpm still retains the old lightmapping settings and looks like crap they changed the skydome to a naff night sky...so on and so on
No idea why they messed around with it as I provided a built map with all settings but it has been like that since they released it.

For anyone interested in seeing how it should look here's a video.

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes works for me now also since the new update ..
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2018 01:28
All the shader code is built into the core shaders. The other shader make reference to parts of the core and then are compiled into the .blob files for use in the engine.

So if you make changes to shaders for dx11 stuff, then you must recompile the shaders or thing won't be what you expect.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info Myke, I got it now.

Also fixed the day/night skydome seems the new shader doesn't like tga and using dds works fine, just had to change up the scroll direction so will replace all the media and re-upload tomorrow.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2018 06:47
Oh yea. Dx11 does not to .tga files.
Dds, png, jpg, bmp

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2018 09:39
Quote: "No idea why they messed around with it as I provided a built map with all settings but it has been like that since they released it."

I'm with you on that, considering the whole point of galaxy seed map was to show off the galaxy seed sky dome in the first place, it's baflfing why they changed it when they released it.
Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried it on an old DX9 versions , and it look'ed just the same as the DX11 version.

Bored of the Rings: Looked at every entity on the map (DX9) and its the same as the DX11 version ?

I never seen the original , like in the video above ,and it do look better , but it has never been in any stock GG versions.
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 02:33 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 04:28
Quote: "Tried it on an old DX9 versions , and it look'ed just the same as the DX11 version.

Bored of the Rings: Looked at every entity on the map (DX9) and its the same as the DX11 version ?"

This is because ever since I handed it over to TGC it has never looked the way it should, I could see entities had moved around, removed some completely and messed up all the light settings. No idea why they put it out like that since they must have loaded the original .fpm sent to them and then changed things so they could have reverted to original if they wanted to. I suspect that Lee probably wanted to make room for some AI but never got time to finish it and never bothered reverting to the original map which ran at a steady 48-50 fps on a mid range system on highest settings even back then. If it was the case that the .fpm I sent was wrong or corrupted in some way they had recieved plenty of videos and a standalone so should have said something since it was obviously not it was supposed to be, either way it's just not what I created.
They commissioned it so they do what they like with it but it became programmer Art at it's finest and I now see that they use the Galaxy Seed skydome to showcase the Sci-fi Drones level (someone else's work, not mine). Which sticks in my craw a bit but as I say it's their show and nothing I can do about it.

Actually it is a big difference from its release in dx9 and dx11 version, here's how it looks when I open it in the latest release.TBH if I were in charge of the product I sure wouldn't include a level looking bad as that with it. Pretty sure a good few folks would tell you wasn't even that bad at first never mind that it has always been trashed anyway. It looks even worse now and I simply got over it a while back anyhow and rather not be associated with it anymore

Edit* Now that my tired brain recalls I should say GameGuru is now a lot more stable and faster than it ever was in the past if this good work continues I could see me actually using it again.

Attachments

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 06:27
So I'm not going mad then I thought the original had more stuff in it. I'm hoping my historic backups I have on my external drives has the actual original FPM prior to it being "ripped" to pieces. It was an awesome level which I think really gave GameGuru a huge boost in credibility and I feel for Rolfy having his work "mucked" abowt. Shocking!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 06:59
Galexy Seed map works for me in the latest version of Game Guru, however visually, looks the same as rolfy's screenshots. Where the textures are odd looking.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 08:50 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 08:52
This is what it looks like for me, I lowered the path as for some reason it was originally floating in the air and I rescaled a couple of entities and fiddled with the sliders a bit though.

Still not quite like the video but not quite as awful as I'd expected given the previous comments.

@rolfy: Lee does the same to me btw, bloody annoying it is too!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 10:06 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 10:07
Quote: " however visually, looks the same as rolfy's screenshots. Where the textures are odd looking."

It just needs the light mapping removed and the look is immediately improved ..
Try the .fpm mapfile attached .. That should be better for you.

Attachments

PM
Dave_utopias
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 16:41
Preben wrote:
Quote: "
Dave_utopias:
Quote: "day & night cycle decal crash, pls help"

Could you post a link to the script , decal or what your trying to get working ?
"

I meant the day night skybox with shaderfx effects, it was really appreciable, but I see that I'm not the only one in this great community that was sorry because it was a good effect, certainly there are scripts in this forum that reproduce a similar effect but I see that maybe someone here is looking for a solution just like me, and I'm going to try them, I'll try to replace with the scroll.fx or with those of galaxy seed, I'm happy to see that from this thread has found something to try, thanks really.
Windows 10 pro
8 gb ram, asus Geforce gtx 660 2gb, 2TB, amd 3280 4 core, 8 logic
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Here's a working version of the day/night dome. Far as I know the sun position is still fixed so you wont be seeing any shadow changes.If you combine this with one of the scripted day/night systems it may look better but I reckon an ambient change on a timer might be the simplest way to get the effect your after. This was only a filler till a proper day/night system is put into GameGuru (long overdue) so I never had any intention of taking it any further.

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
does your Lightning dome still work ?
Not even sure if its still available ..
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2018 17:38 Edited at: 5th Jul 2018 18:44
Quote: "does your Lightning dome still work ? "
Not sure I will take a look

Edit* The lightning dome works fine with new shaders, this was an entity and made before I found a way to create the domes so I will be updating this to a proper skydome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:04:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:04:32