Product Chat / Double your FPS in GG - help needed.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "make me wonder what Lee has been doing all this time"

Just to clear this , i spent many many month finding the fastest best way to do shadows , just porting it to DX11 did not take me so long , but there have been many many month working with this in GameGuru Loader , So what seams fast to do really have taking tons of time

Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: Yes i also like to hear how that goes , but i think Lee will compile a new beta shortly, so lets wait a day and see what happens, no need for both of us to release, Lee ?

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 13:49
alright then, I can wait.
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: My local branch dont have all the new stuff Lee added to the beta , call me scared but i would need to stash all my changes before i can change branch to master and get all the latest changes from Lee , i dont dare that before the changes has been merged

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 14th Jun 2018 14:15
Quote: "i dont dare that before the changes has been merged
"

Very wise - I'm in "merge_head" and merge conflict hell at the moment

Once I get through that though really looking forward to trying these out - thanks for the many months of hard work Preben.

Cheers.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Preben. I was only being silly, just a lot seems to be happening of late. I know how hard Lee works on GG, a proper night owl at times.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: BETA 2018.06.14 - DirectX 11 & PBR has been released

DVader: Sure i know , if was to clear it for "new" forum readers, that dont know Lee (yet)
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2018 15:02
Quote: "Ertlov: BETA 2018.06.14 - DirectX 11 & PBR has been released "

Yeah, already tested. Unfortunately not much of an FPS gain.

Any secret settings I might have overlooked?
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: if its lightmapped you will only see a small increase , so i guess thats it ? , cant really remember its been a "long" time since i played it last , i will try to download it tomorrow and have a look
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: Ahh just remember , you properly did not generate a new standalone , so did you activate all the new stuff in your old setup.ini ? , if not please post your setup.ini here , and i will take a look

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 11:45 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 11:53
The Cogwheel air city (pretty large) level was starting to drop below 60 fps, with the new version has moved up to 80-85 FPS (all high settings).

Very happy

Do appear to be able to see through walls now when player pressed up against them, thought it might have been to do with the "near camera" change but moving to 10 from 6 hasn't changed this, so perhaps something else?

EDIT: Just read Git and realised I was moving config the wrong way - should have been lowering below 6 not increasing

Cheers.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 12:40 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 12:43
Quote: "Do appear to be able to see through walls now when player pressed up against them, thought it might have been to do with the "near camera" change but moving to 10 from 6 hasn't changed this, so perhaps something else?"

Press "Tab" and set camera distance to 60. Then save to keep the setting
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
cybernescence: Yes i know i did that to stop flickering in front of the player , so the near plane was moved , it has been bugged me for so long , you can adjust in using the setup.ini option lowestnearcamera=6 , the old setting was set to 2 so you can use that ( but you get more flicker ) , but a better option will be to lower the camera distance a little to around 70 , it will give you better results. If you find a better default setting then "lowestnearcamera=6" , please let me know

Bod: this was only fixed in the "2018.06.14 - DirectX 11 & PBR" + versions , it has not been released yet and are only in beta, its mainly caused by memory issues

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 14:04
The camera thing explains why I had to make Bod's motorbike helmet so big!

Maybe a better solution would be to make the lowestnearcamera setting alterable from Lua?

Or fix the flickering problem directly, can you point me at the code that causes the flicker in the first place.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 14:47
@Preben - thanks for the info - I've got to keep the camera distance maxed out (need to see the open ocean and sky).

At the moment I'm experimenting with moving obstacledistance = 22 and leaving lowestnearcamera=6.

Cheers.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2018 15:36 Edited at: 16th Jun 2018 15:38
AmenMoses: There is not any code that produce this , its the DX11 depth buffer that are the problem, what i did with the lowestnearcamera=6 setting is to allow you to control it , but thats not the real solution , your can read about it here:
https://developer.nvidia.com/content/depth-precision-visualized
So as a wrote in the beta thread i did not have the time to do the real solution to the problem at the moment, so now you can only control it ( its a start ) , i know your getting into shaders and stuff , so as the article says you just need to invert the projection matrix and take that into consideration in the shaders , so give it a go, cant wait to see how far you take it

cybernescence: You can see the flickering problem here in GraPhiX video ( look at the bridge, and how it flicker):
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219710#msg2600880
If you dont see this on your level just lower it to around lowestnearcamera=3 , and i dont think you will have any problems with your large distance levels.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 01:16
Quote: "
Preben

Ertlov: Ahh just remember , you properly did not generate a new standalone , so did you activate all the new stuff in your old setup.ini ? , if not please post your setup.ini here , and i will take a look "

I wil create a new standalone today.
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 03:23 Edited at: 17th Jun 2018 03:30
@preben, can't visit link. Permission denied? Always enjoy reading here. Keep up the great work. Also, side note.
On the basic consumer test rig having vsync on stopped the glitch on the bridge. Though not being able to pull 60 on 60hz due to high settings enabled as requested, capped around 45/47 as predicted.
I also noticed a lot of the map was missing from what I remember, flat terrain areas. Anyway, no need reply. Just sharing.
Define R4, i5, 16g, R9 290
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 09:20
Hi Preben,

see screenshot comparing current steam version and latest beta.

My settings:

I don't say it doesn't have any effect, at average I have 2-3 fps more, which is ~ 10% gain.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 09:51 Edited at: 17th Jun 2018 09:54
Ertlov: look at the quality!

Looks like your running on medium on the old , and on highest on the new beta , the new beta in highest is just as fast as the old medium so that could be it ?

EDIT: btw is the old one DX9 ?

Attachments

Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 09:58 Edited at: 17th Jun 2018 10:29
Am I correct in saying, requested vsync off in standalone test. I see in Ertlov vsync is on?

My personal opinion .
Gpu displays 30fps on 60hz monitor, Turning on vsync forces the gpu to 60fps on 60hz, which it can not and reduce efficeiency and performance often by -15frames. Vsync off, you should see around 30 to 40fps on your orinigal version if kept on same settings. Anyway, I will go back to the shadows. Hope you get a good boost in the end. Nice map.
PM
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Defy, until we get the old beast "Father's Island" to run more then 60 fps it dont matter in the test
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, yes of course. Just was trying to point out vsync is on in his settings posted above by Ertlov. I'm sure it would better off in his large awesome map. Though I know you guys are all over it. Good luck.
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 11:34
Trying Vsync now.

Of course the released on Steam version is DirectX9 (but that was highest quality, you can check it if you ahve the steam version).

One of the early DX11 Betas ran it at 50 FPS, but then it got slower and slower again, the last one was at 14-15 here in that scene.

So your change is indeed and undoubted faster, just not significantly.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: Downloaded and tried , now i just need the "beta" standalone to compare , could you email me a link to it and i will try to give you some additional speed , email: plemsoft@plemsoft.com

Its like comparing apples and stones , the quality in that old DX9 is so low its like having GG on lowest now, the old DX9 did 3 texture samples per pixel , the new beta do 9 texture samples per pixel and still do it faster, anyway it will be a good way to compare.

The next update im starting to work on (Automatic PBR Baking ) will actually lower the textures per pixel and give a nice boost , check it out here:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219447?page=1#msg2597539

So using your old DX9 game to compare against would actually be quite handy for me.

Sure i will also email you some new setting after i tried the beta standalone that should also give you a nice boost now

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2018 23:13
I hope you compared vs the full version and not versus the demo on Steam, the Demo was made in a much earlier DX9 version

But you are right, the quality is now better than before (and before used even some features of Reshade).

Uploading 1.3 GB now, will send you a dropbox link once finished!

- Johann
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: downloading wow 1.2 gb , and sure i compare with the full version.
When done downloading i will start to compare, and also start to post here the easy settings you can change to get additional FPS. Think everyone could benefit from this

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2018 08:57
That`s totally awesome and very appreciated. If I hadn't done a long time ago, I would gift you the game now ^^
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Ertlov: Sorry for the delay , but i cant stand it anymore this flickering and the DX11 depth buffer, you have so many posters stick'ed to houses ... and i get flickering everywhere, this need to get fixed first.

AmenMoses: did you have any progress on this ?, i like to take this over and get it fixed ?

Lee: Could you add this to the list of open project and assign me to it. i like to get it fixed asap, it hurts me to see this in GG, and i would hate to see this in a release version
"DX11 depth buffer problems, stop z-fighting."
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219447#msg2597539

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 10:06
For now I can mitigate that by moving the posters a millimeter away from the walls.

How`s the performance research coming along?
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 13:20 Edited at: 19th Jun 2018 13:26
Ertlov: no need to move anything it will get fixed

We can start with the first tricks.

Original DX9 version load time 4:08.

The new DX11 beta , no changes, load time 2:41.

So a nice increase for DX11 for me , perhaps my card is newer and better optimized for DX11

As you are using pbroverride=1 , i then went in to your "Entitybank" and delete ALL *_s.dds" files from the folders , they are not used in PBR so you can safely delete all of them. This bring down my load time to a whooping 1:57

Next i added this to setup.ini , watermask is not used in latest water shaders, and ibr is not needed in the shaders anymore:
memskipwatermask=1
memskipibr=1

Nice another 2 fps gained.

Then i switched the setup to 3 cascades with these setup.ini entries:
realshadowdistance=4000
realshadowresolution=2048
realshadowcascadecount=3
realshadowcascade0=18
realshadowcascade1=40
realshadowcascade2=100
(remember to remove all the old realshadowcascade,realshadowcascadecount first).

We now have 46 fps. this is how far a came with this, i will continue this when i finish the DX11 depth problems

Attachments

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 18:38
@I haven't even started looking at it, far too busy with other stuff!
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2018 21:29
w00p, w00p, average speed gain of 30%. Impressive!
And waiting for the depth fix now before tinkering around
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Jun 2018 20:07
thats good to hear Bod i miss your WIP videos hopefully we will see some soon
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Laptop - Helios 300 Predator - i7 7700HQ - 32GB - Nvidia GTX1060 6GB - 525GB M2 - 500 SSD - 17.3" IPS LED Panel - Windows 10 Pro x64
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Bod: Thanks for confirming that the memory stuff works really appreciate it.

News: The DX11 depth buffer problems is now solved , so cybernescence you will be able to use any camera distance with no problems , and Ertlov you now dont get any flickering posters
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2018 12:13
Thanks Preben - really appreciate your work.

One of the main Cogwheel levels is lovely and smooth now and it covers nearly twice the normal map size - the draw calls are relatively tiny (most models optimised to use only a few 4096x4096 texture sheets). The fps is 70-100 on a GTX750ti - no pre-bake. Before your optimization work it was dipping below 30 and I'd almost abandoned the concept of this air city level.

Just fantastic stuff you have done

Cheers.

LFR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 03:23 Edited at: 25th Jun 2018 03:23
hi! i like to try the new feature but i dont have github account!
im on a GT430 so the improve of the fps can be great for users like me

Any clues about the release date of the new GG update? im checking this forum every day

Im going to GTX960 soon, very excited about it... its little frustrating working in gg on the GT430...

Thank you guys!
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I believe there is a new public preview that should have most of the updates mentioned here in it. I haven't tried it myself yet though.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:16:46
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:16:46