Bug Reports / DX11 bug reports (and they are numerous)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 00:06
1. no backwards compatibility
2. no reshade compatibility
3. abysmal editor frame rates
4. lightmapper seems "completely broken" for lack of a better word
5. reverting back to 5/12 build causes problems with ambience tinting the bottom half of the skybox only, with a clearly visible line in the middle (seriouslyyy???)

I have no more complaints. I reverted my version the second i opened up a map, tried relightmapping it, and had a laugh. here's hoping steam won't auto update my gameguru back to this late april fools joke again, but I guess i better move my working gameguru somewhere far away and safe just to be sure.

I'm honestly shocked that anyone would have thought that this hilarious excuse for a software was anything closer than a year away from ready, but I really should have been used to this by now having been around here 9 years huh? perhaps once i get a new install of dx9 working far away from steam, i might give this abomination some more tests. It genuinely seems to me that the only thing clearly upgraded was the buttons onscreen.

tl;dr- LEE PLEASE FIX.
also, if this update that I was not warned about the final release date of (and that steam doesnt seem to provide me an option to opt out of) destroys the 2 games i have been working so hard on for the past year even after I have reverted to a previous version, I will never touch gameguru or any tgc product again and be sure to leave it and all others in the future the nastiest steam reviews possible, as well as badmouthing it to every single person i meet who is interested.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 17:33
ok, i reinstalled the new version of gameguru for some more tests, let me continue my diatribe

when PBRoverride=1 the skybox determines all lighting conditions, even in rooms with no windows. this causes overbright ugliness unless we have our skies as nighttime, especially with static lighting

when PBRoverride=1, entity_cubeambience.fx media actually is transparent where it should only not display the cubemap.

when using realtime lighting, entities at random will reflect their _I map as a cubemap. this would be cool if we could customize it and turn it on or off, it would also improve the obviousness of our current simple-specular system

GG no longer takes/saves screenshots in the same folder as before. (if it still does take screenshots and this has changed let me know)

once i figure out how to get screenshot taking working again (hoping not fraps) i will post visual evidence for this stuff. here is what i mean by the imap cubemaps in editor, and before lighting bake:

see green towerfacade and wolfs 4way billboard. the effect is visible on the awnings and the base of the sign. this effect disappears once prebake lighting has been calculated in game

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2018 18:38 Edited at: 18th Apr 2018 18:41
Quote: "GG no longer takes/saves screenshots in the same folder as before. (if it still does take screenshots and this has changed let me know)"

Screenshot still works for me .. "F10" to the \ Documents \ GameGuru Files \
PS have you added your findings to the GitHub Issue tracker ?
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues?page=1&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2018 13:19
Hi Bugsy,

If you are working on a large game, it may be as well reverting the build so you can complete it (I created a rollback version called public-release-lastdx9 which you can use to get your old public build back). Best way to do that is to back-up all your projects and assets in the current installation, delete the local folder and then go to Steam and rollback to the above version. Then you can drop your backed up files and you're back to where you were.

If you did want to get your project running under the new DirectX 11 engine, I can help with that no problems. As you can imagine swapping out an entire graphics engine is bound to affect larger projects, and I tried as much as possible to use the Public Previews to catch most of the gremlins, but we will not have caught them all.

If you're up for it let's tackle these points first:

3. abysmal editor frame rates
4. lightmapper seems "completely broken" for lack of a better word

For the editor performance, if you open SETUP.INI and change "disablesurfacesnap=0" to "disablesurfacesnap=1" this will speed up the positioning of entities in your world. Whilst in there, you might also want to change "PBRoverride=0" so you can keep using the legacy shaders and DNS texture system.

For the lightmapper issues, could you create a small FPM of a level (ideally using stock media so don't need to send me custom media) and lightmap it and let me know what the issues with the lightmapper are, this way I can reproduce at this end.

Also, any smaller issues you come across, just post them in the issues tracker and they can go on the list to be fixed. Here is the link: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues

As one of our best GameGuru developers, I want to make sure you can continue creating cool games, and I am sure that the new DX11 engine (suitably tweaked) will be a benefit as there is a lot crammed in there since the version from last May. Also, if you wanted to send me your entire game project and files, I can run larger scale tests for you and reproduce what you see (and get them fixed).
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2018 19:03
now that sounds awesome. I'll continue to post my issues on the github.

upon further testing of the lightmapper, it's only sorta broken. I'll be doing more tests with pbr override=0 on to see if the changes are still so palpable.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2018 22:27
agreed

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 07:35:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 07:35:26