Work In Progress / The Death House of Barker Creek

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 00:02 Edited at: 5th Apr 2018 06:24
Developer: HellReaperX

Story: It was supposed to be a quite camping trip with friends on the outskirts of a small mountain town, but the beautiful landscape concealed a dark past of something lurking deep within the woods of Barker Creek. A house hidden within the forest was thought to be their respite from the inhuman screams echoing around them, it turned out to be their worst nightmare...

Description: Survival Horror

I would love to hear any type of feedback, thank you
HellReaperX

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 07:42
impressive exteriors, your terrain and layout is great, as is your decoration, however I think you could touch up the color palate a little bit to make it have a bit more of a "tone" to it, and possibly add some grass.

when it comes to the interiors and night shots, many of these have prettier scenery than the day shots, and appear more detailed, but some dont seem finished like the wooden interior. some structural considerations need be made in there, that would decorate it much more.

I also dislike this extremely yellow light you're using. go for a more muted tone, and mix it up a little more with different colours.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 09:43
looking good so far, outside scenes would benefit from some fog I think and blurring into the distance too, have a play with the tab tab settings a bit. But otherwise nice.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 09:55
Thank you for the feedback Bugsy, definitely will be adding much more grass and foliage to the day shots since i just started them about a week ago and will take your suggestion on touching up on the color palette to have more tone. The wooden interior is far from finished and was debating about completely redoing it to have a better layout since it seems too small. Yeah the yellow lights are an eye sore lol I will experiment with the colors more. Thank you again for the feedback
HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2018 10:04
thank you Tarkus for the feedback yeah the blurring would be good idea and the mountain day shot will have fog when i do the night version of it cause you cant have a survival horror game without fog lol
HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2018 05:24
Finished the EBE structure for the Estate. Quickly threw together some fog and trees to get somewhat of a tone, major changes will be done and more time spent on the scenery of course since its not a finished level. Now I do have an issue so if anyone can help me that would be great, so when I save the EBE structure as an entity I lose all previous sounds I had for the floors and I was hoping there's a way I can fix that?
HellReaperX

Attachments

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2018 10:02
Very good use of the EBE, and the fogging is good too, looking forward to watching this one. Great stuff.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2018 18:33
Thank you Tarkus1971! once the lightmapper works better ill have some amazing pics to showcase.
HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2018 07:38
Welcome to the other side
HellReaperX

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2018 15:52
The bloody water looks pretty cool.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The bloody water looks pretty cool. "

And the flippin rocks
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 09:38
Thank you synchromesh and Wolf! Gonna be awhile before I post again; attempting to learn Blender lol, so here's another concept pic
HellReaperX

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2018 16:06
Someone decided to build his tent on the fleshy surface of doom despite there being what seem to be rocks right next to it?
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2018 23:20
I guess i should give details lol so there's the normal world and a hell world, however this is the in between so hell seeping into our world. in the normal world there is a tent that's on grass or dirt, this flesh is taking over this world so there's still rocks, trees, tents and stuff like that to show the player what world or dimension you're in. At least that's the concept for it as of right now. Here's some comparison pictures to show the normal world and hell seeping into the normal, haven't shown any 100% hell levels yet
HellReaperX

Attachments

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Sep 2018 20:33
kinda let me think of doom. keep it up nice work.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 7th Sep 2018 11:23
Looking good so far.

Just a quick thought on the name....

Is Barker Creek a place or a person?

Just a grammar thing, if it's a person then the current title's fine "The Death House of Barker Creek", but if it's a place, it would probably be more grammatically correct to have the name as "The Barker Creek Death House", just a thought.
[img]belidos3d.swgrp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/blogo.png[/img]
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2018 20:55
Thank you PCS and Belidos! Barker Creek is a place, town to be specific, I do believe both ways is grammatically correct. English follows different rules in US than England, vise versa. Now I am doing some research on it cause I do wanna make sure it is grammatically correct and I could use the refresher on the subject lol.

I appreciate the suggestion tho it helps, especially since my motto is that there is always room for improvement.

I'm hearing that a lot on my Facebook, which is good cause I'm trying to use inspiration from titles like Doom, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark and several others. I've added a lot of references from said titles as easter eggs or just visual resemblance to jog that nostalgic feeling. However one thing I've noticed over the years is the shock value in horror games have gone down so hopefully with this I can really make the player be shocked to their core with the story that unfolds.

Which actually brings to a question, is there a way to have multiple winzones? I want branching paths that the player can take which would drastically change the scenery and overall story but I can't seem to make it work.
HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2018 21:14
Ok made the branching paths work (forgot to save as standalone, Derp) but several objects, enemies, scripts don't show up and not entirely sure how to fix that, yet.
HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2018 00:49
More of the Hell level
HellReaperX

Attachments

HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2018 07:28
Re-doing some levels, mainly just the mountain level but I am in the process of making the town of Barker Creek with the night pic of the house. Hopefully soon I can showcase one of these levels in a video.
HellReaperX

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2018 19:53
Very impressive landscape work. This is coming along great.
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2018 22:43
Thank you Wolf!
HellReaperX
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2018 17:50
This is looking really good. The lighting is great on the night time scenes, and the landscaping is really well done.

This is a very atmospheric looking game.

Keep it up.

HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2018 09:31
Thank you Tarkus!
HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2019 12:04
progress of the Mountain level. Slowly but surely.
HellReaperX

Attachments

HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2019 09:49 Edited at: 24th Feb 2019 10:45
Concept drawing of one of the many creatures I plan on putting in this game. Been struggling to learn Blender so I found another alternative to sculpt with so here is the creature's foot I just started lol

Edit: here are some better pics of the 3D model I'm working on
HellReaperX

Attachments

osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2019 13:36
Nice monster!I I like the stork legs with human skin
PM
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2019 07:51
Thank you osiem80! Here's the finished rough draft of the 3D model that I have to import to Blender.
HellReaperX

Attachments

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 16:59
Nice character there.
RIP
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

New:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.81GHz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia gtx1050ti 4gb, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Screen resolution 1920 x 1080. System Passmark 3774

HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2019 23:58
Thanks Pirate Myke! I was able to reduce the quality just a little to get a test model into GG but now face the challenge of UV mapping textures and animations lol Also decided to make a variant of the same creature. Who knew video game making was so much fun
HellReaperX

Attachments

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 4th Mar 2019 07:21
That looks great so far!

Nice to see some unique characters being built for your game.

Have fun with bringing it to life
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 05:51
Thanks cybernescence! I'm having a blast making these creatures, unfortunately when I used Blender to add textures I painted the textures using the vertex paint option and it doesn't show up in gg.

So I don't know what I'm doing wrong yet other than not UV mapping it but it doesn't let me while using the vertex paint but trial and error will pay off eventually tho, still got a lot to learn
HellReaperX
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 08:45 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 08:48
What you're doing wrong is using vertex paint for textures, Vertex Paint Mode is not for texturing, it's used for weighting bones, colour ID maps, creating vertex groups and so forth.

If you want to paint textures in Blender you need to unwrap the model, add a blank texture, then use Texture Paint Mode to paint on it.

Or the way i used to do it before i started using substance painter was to use materials to put textures on the model, then bake the materials to a texture. Then when exporting (to .X) the model uncheck the export materials box so you can specify your texture in the .FPE for the model.

Here's a video series done by one of the early forum members (unfamilia), it's old, but still valid (up to 2.79 of Blender, 2.8 has changed a lot) and really does show you step by step the process of texturing and exporting a model to work in GameGuru, it's still, years later, one of the best GameGuru modelling tutorials available (ignore that it says it's FPSC Reloaded, that was what GameGuru was originally called before they got a private investor involved).

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/208184

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 21:43
Thank you Belidos for this info! I really appreciate you sharing this step by step video too cant wait to bring this creature to life.

Question, will I have to worry about the weighting bones, colour ID maps, creating vertex groups and so forth when I begin the animation process or is it something I don't really need to worry about yet?
HellReaperX
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 22:54 Edited at: 6th Mar 2019 23:06
You will need to weight the bones to get the bones to move the mesh yes, but blender has a pretty good automatic weighting system so it's pretty much as easy as selecting a menu option. You don't need to worry about vertex painting and vertex groups, the auto system should sort that for you.

Just remember when you are exporting, if you export to .X you will need to run it through fragmotion and re-export it to .X from there for the weighting to stick, for some reason Blenders .X exporter doesn't apply the wighting properly for gameguru. but the exporter in fragmotion does.

Don't worry you can easily get fragmotion, and although it's a paid app, you can actually use it for free with no limitations, except for a smiley face and a bubble asking you to buy it popping up on the screen every few seconds, which considering the import/export stuff you need to do only takes seconds anyway doesn't really get in the way.

Sometime (probably the weekend) i'll see if i can do a quick video on how to get a character from blender to fragmotion and into gameguru in .X format.

One of the better tutorial series for learning character creation is Sebestian Lagues character creation series, most of it is valid for gameguru, however when you get to the walk cycle video, stop just before he starts showing how to create a path for it to walk along, that bit's not needed for gameguru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiIoWrOlIRw&list=PLFt_AvWsXl0fEx02iXR8uhDsVGhmM9Pse

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2019 23:55
Ok cool! Thanks again for the much needed help and for the videos Belidos!

HellReaperX
HellReaperX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2019 06:10
Alright finished texturing the monster with Blender, I still need to smooth out the model in some parts but for now I'm off to animate this beast!

HellReaperX

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 14:44:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 14:44:04