Product Chat / Lessons learned from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - has a gameguru focus

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 21:17
I did an extremely lengthy write-up on my recent game playthrough of DEMD; thought some of you might be interested in it as it does view it from a game-guru specific lens.

Thanks
http://gamegurureport.blogspot.com/2018/01/lessons-learned-from-deus-ex-mankind.html
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2018 05:52
Interesting read. Deus EX is one of my favourite FPS franchises (although I never played Invisible war), and I'm busy with a second playthrough of Human Revolutions at the moment. I wouldn't mind a remastered version of the original, as it dwarfs the others with it's scope and variety.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2018 16:28
Well HR and Mankind Divided are very similar. I still HR the 'best in show' nod but only barely. MD is ... very impressive both visually and play wise. The only weak element is the story is somewhat meh. Not terrible, just not as good as HR.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 22:09
Warren Spector was asked in the Q&A section of his GDC post mortem if he would consider releasing the source code for Deus-Ex and he said no (around 56:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffX3VljTtI
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 23:45
Great read! I especially identify with the notion of creating secret areas to find little treats and treasures for those patient and immersed enough to find them. Currently doing that in Fallout 4. I have tonnes of cash, oodles of ammo, an insane sword, and an almost indestructible avatar, but I am still scraping around cupboards, waste bins, draws, and lockers for every scrap of valuable boon I can find. There is a secret somewhere in that, if only we could bottle it!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 15:43
Thanks Lee. I believe secrets properly placed are a sort of 'lost art' in game development, especially for Indy Devs who tend to focus all their resources on things more tangible (such as new levels or artwork for monsters) due to their limited availability of time and energy.

For me it's important as a value adder and I think we could all do more to learn from it. I plan on doing a tutorial series on making secrets in Game-Guru but that's a ways out (I still have my newest lightmapping tutorial to put out yet).

I also have 3 separate code projects to complete, weekly updates at the blog, as well as the 'big one' (shhh) that you know about Lee. Lots on the plate, as you can imagine. That said if anyone has any suggestions or comments feel free to put them forward as I am a willing listener and will do my best to oblige.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2018 03:15
great read. I still really need to play that game.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 7th Feb 2018 06:11
@BAG - really nice GG focussed blog

Not sure why I haven't known about it or read it before.

Thanks for the work that goes into it

Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-06 14:24:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-06 14:24:28