Product Chat / GameGuru GitHub Help Thread

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 13:21
Has anyone got the BlitzWerks Terrain documentation they can share (I assume this is allowed)?

Think there could be some interesting GG extensions made from its core capability

Cheers.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 14:06 Edited at: 4th Feb 2018 14:16
Quote: "Has anyone got the BlitzWerks Terrain documentation they can share (I assume this is allowed)?"

No but maybe this helps you:
https://github.com/kaedroho/BlitzTerrain2
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/145404
In the free version is a pdf

Have a nice day

Also did someone know who is the GG shader guy?
Look at this water : https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/219208
And these shaders: http://www.evolved-software.com/shaders/bumpmapping
http://www.evolved-software.com/advancedlighting/advancedlighting
Is this possible in GG?
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 14:53
Thanks Corno that helps a lot.

Most likely Preben is the shader guy
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 18:45

Quote: "For the pickuppables script I have Lua doing the terrain collision bit for the carried object (as demonstrated in the video) so you can't push it through the terrain or rotate it near the terrain in such a way to 'punch' through, I am only doing so on the 8 corners of the collision box though so it does look a bit weird on spherical or cylindrical objects and is not detecting edge collisions yet. Although this works well It becomes an issue of performance, if I were to extend the Lua collision detection technique to all the objects in a scene then it would almost definitely start to drop the frame rate."

AmenMoses
Your script is very impressive considering the nightmare you need to deal with to get it to work.
To be perfectly honest none of that should be necessary if the physics was done correctly.
In my other implementations of physics in DBPro and AGK I built in a pick object command
that handels the entire process. The way it should work is a joint is created between the world
and the physics object with the correct settings so you can not move it too fast and cause tunneling.
I can not even fathom what collision box info you are gettining that does not already have the scaling and
rotation applied and I am staring at the core code.

On another note, I have written the base core of the new physics. That was actually the easy part since I
was intimately familiar with Bullet and the DBPro C++ source code. Now I have too attempt to disconnect
the old physics from the GG Main Engine and connect the new. This is not looking very promising as
it was not coded in a modular way so it could be turned off with out breaking the engine. Also I have not even
assessed how it would affect LUA scripts. As I type this I am waiting for GG to build in Debug mode which
seems to have hard coded directories which Lee will need to fix in the Repo. Has anyone else built in Debug mode?
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 19:22
No, Lee did warn about hard coded debug directories so I have been avoiding debug mode!

I'm in the process of a massive re-think about this anyhow as the math I'm coming up with is way too complex for what I'm doing. Maybe the sensible thing to do first is expose the math libraries built into the engine to Lua scripting so I can offload some of the complexity in the scripts.

Whatever you end up with please make sure it doesn't involve having 'special' models to make it work, we need to be able to apply any technique to the existing catalogue. Needing special joints or limbs or fancy stuff in the fpe files is not neccessary for basic physics.

Btw, I noticed that the 'damping' factor is accessible but not currently used by GG, if I added a Lua command to set it could I get basic air resistance working?

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 21:24 Edited at: 4th Feb 2018 23:57
Quote: "Btw, I noticed that the 'damping' factor is accessible but not currently used by GG, if I added a Lua command to set it could I get basic air resistance working?"

If it is the actual damping factor in the Bullet Physics engine, the answer would be no as Bullet does
not have any air resitance modeling.

P.S. This does not mean we can not have vehicles other then wheeled.
Moving say aircraft or space ships are handled using forces if you look
at the Youtube video where I fly the Lunar Lander.

I intend to make it as automatic as possible while still allowing tweaking
for custom game play. So yes for basic core physics it will work out of the box for all
objects.

Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 05:06
AmenMoses wrote: "Presumably you just 'pull' then build."

I tried that and it just gives me the master Branch not your changes I tried merging your branch which got me your code but caused SourceTree to get confused and wanting me to push the changes up. I then tried reversing it with discard (I could not find an Unmerge) and SourceTree told me off (lots of error messages) then proceeded to sulk not letting me do anything. So I had to delete my local copy and pull the whole thing down again.
So still none the wiser about SourceTree and GIT.
Though I do now have a basic grasp on how to add simple LUA commands to the engine something that judging by the way the code is structured should have only one branch open on it at a time.

@Nomad Soul
I think the repository link in the first message is out of date should it not be https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
Albert Einstein
PM
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 05:06 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 05:47
In case anyone is interested
I have made a list of Hard coded references to drive f:

Albert Einstein
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 07:56
I know it's quite confusing as when I did the commit the first time I had a lot of errors, then tried to revert it and got more errors, then wiped my repository copy and started over, then Lee changed something the other end and then I could 'push' the changes. So I'm left wondering if the branch ended up being emerged with the master or something like that. It's going to take some time figuring out how to use this properly!

@SITD: I was under the impression that the way of 'faking' air resistance in Bullet was to use the damping factor. I haven't done anything Bullet related for a few years though.
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 17:28 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 17:47
Quote: "@SITD: I was under the impression that the way of 'faking' air resistance in Bullet was to use the damping factor. I haven't done anything Bullet related for a few years though. "

If you want to call it faking air resistance then maybe, but it is really intended to keep
rigid bodies out of control when not affected by friction which only occurs between
2 rigid bodies. I thought you meant fluid dynamics. I have noticed that a lot of the
values in the GG source code for physics are not correct. For example Damping in
Bullet physics is a float and is 0.0 by default. Its range is 0.0 to 1.0.

P.S. Just looked at your pickupables code. FYI: pObject->collision does not contain
any of the Bullet physics collision info. That is part of the DBpro object and is the Axis
Aligned Bounding Box(AABB) for the object which is used for occlusion and the original
DBPro raycasting.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 19:40
Yep, I avoided any of the Bullet stuff as you said you were overhauling it, all I am using it for is calculating the size of the object and it is in fact rotated just not scaled.

When you have finished I can change the Lua call to use a better data source if need be.
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2018 22:58 Edited at: 5th Feb 2018 23:05
@Ratall - I agree, a step by step or video would be great to explain how to use a particular GG branch and download (pull) or upload (push) changes. I'd also like to know if you can pull changes from multiple branches or you have to work off a single branch. I'm guessing GitHub only merges branches going into the master once approved.

I checked the link you posted and its different from the one I posted but they both go to the same GitHub repository so I guess Lee's is directly linked to the TGC one somehow. I've updated the 1st post to use the TGC ones now though.

@Corno_1 - Thanks, I've also added the Blitz Terrain 2 GitHub link on the 1st post.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2018 22:37 Edited at: 12th Feb 2018 22:40
If someone has time please can you explain how branching is currently working for GG. Like are there multiple branches with people creating these for specific features or does everything have to be submitted back to the master for checkin review / approval?

Edit - Ok I can see there are 2 branches at the moment which is the master and one for a LUA include fix. So I guess people are still playing around with the source on their local machines and not creating branches at the moment.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 20:25 Edited at: 13th Feb 2018 20:27
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219241?page=1#msg2595427

AmenMoses: looking at that it dont looks like a kinematic physics body , it would shake more when your objects merge , what are you using ?
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 21:14
The force.

Latest is here:

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219299#msg2595946
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2018 22:26
Preben, GG does not have Kinematic physics objects, only AGK has them.
GG physics is broken.
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I really admire what you are all doing. If I had the skillset and knowledge I would join you. Unfortunately, I don't. I managed to learn enough to create a few basic custom Lua scripts but that's about the limit. Keep up the good work!
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
For Debuging: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/attach-to-running-processes-with-the-visual-studio-debugger
Tested with VS2017
Start Game-Guru.exe and then follow the steps in the link. Works great for me
Ebe Editor Free - Build your own EBE structures with easy and without editing any text files
Thread and Download
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2018 17:20 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2018 17:21
Made my first contribution, thanks Corno for explaining the process. It does appear in the pull requests now. Starting off small
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2018 22:27
Thanks Corno_1. Debugging link added to 1st post.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 17:04
Hi. I've just got around to installing all the tools and setting up GG from github.

Most things are working and I'm able to compile the GameGuru.exe and Guru-Lightmapper.exe but having one problem. When I try and compile the Guru-MapEditor.exe I get the error below:

Error MSB3191 Unable to create directory "F:\TGCSHARED\GameGuru\GameGuru". The device is not ready.
Guru-MapEditor C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets 1231

I don't have a F: so my GameGuru location is C:\Users\Nomad\Documents\GameGuruRepo\

Does anyone know how I can fix this without having an F: ?
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 17:45
Hi Nomad maybe you could use the subst command if you don't have a spare drive

Create the F drive as virtual ie subst f: C:\Users\Nomad\Documents\GameGuruRepo\

Not sure if it would work but it's worth a try you could create a bat file and put it in your start-up folder so that it is always available
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Does anyone know how I can fix this without having an F: ?"

Not really, but you can plug in a usb stick and make him F: or use the partition tool of windows and create a little volume
Thread and Download
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 18:05
Yeah you should be able to plug in a USB and "map drive" it to assign it as F.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 18:57
another way is to actually modify the path in Visual Studio under linker->debugging, see pic below:

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 21:54
Thanks Guys

I fixed it by changing the Linker > Debugging > Generate Program Database File location as BOTR said. Now I'm able to compile all the executables and successfully tested them with my Steam GG. Phew!

I have a couple of other less significant things please:

1. My GameGuru.exe compiles to 9mb but the official Steam executable is just over 3mb. Does anyone know why? is that normal?

2. Specifically on Source Tree, I get a huge list of unstaged files. Am I supposed to stage them? what does this mean?

3. Again on Source Tree, I can create my own branch which is cool. Is it best to choose working copy parent or specified commit?

4. If I choose push request I can see my branch. Do I just choose remote branch as master then push if I want to submit a feature / fix? What is the advantage of having my own branch compared with just having local branch and remote branch set as master?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Never used github or source tree before.
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 22:28 Edited at: 11th Mar 2018 22:31
1. Are you in debug mode? Mine is 3mb. Switch in VS from debug to release should help.
2. An unstaged file is a file you changed and it is not commited. If you stage them, you add them to your next commit, I think.
3. If you changed some file you should choose working copy otherwise these changes will be reset. Specific commit is usefull if you want to exclude some changes. I always chose the head(latest commit) of the remote.
4. You can not push in the master! So you must push your own branch into the remote and then request a merge with the master(lee must approve it).

Hope I could help
Thread and Download
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2018 23:03
Thanks Corno_1

Your right, I had the GameGuru IDE project set to Debug. Changing this to Release gets the compiled executable to 3mb

I don't fully understand the staging thing yet. I can see 2 modified files which relate to the mapeditor which makes sense after I changed the debugging path. Most of the others have a status of not tracked and looks like a list of most files that were compiled. I guess I'll just stage any specific ones that I know I've actually modified like you said.

I'll start my own branch and go from there. I guess if I get anything worth sharing I can focus more on the whole commit / push stuff.
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2018 06:11
Hi guys
I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. I just found myself needing to redownload VS 2015 community and Microsoft will not let me. The site keeps prompting me to buy a subscription to access legacy software.
Has any one else experienced this?
Albert Einstein
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2018 00:24
Hi Ratall

Please try the link below. You will need to login with your Microsoft account ID / password to access legacy software.

Visual Studio Community Edition 2015
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2018 02:20
@Nomad Soul,
Thanks that was the link I was using. It turns out there was a problem with my Microsoft account. I made a new one and all is now Ok. Thanks anyway.
Albert Einstein
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2018 08:15
Have some questions about the github pull requests and commits

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219463

Ive successfully made modifications/improvements to past files via the github and seemed the merged but and curious with my latest pull request if I'm doing everything in the correct procedure. Does everything look right?

https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/pull/140

Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any restriction for creating branches in the repo?

I tried to push my mod into a branch but I can´t. I always get an 403 restriction error
Thread and Download
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2018 12:09
We're all still learning the levels within GitHub at present. I think you can clone and create your own local branch, but not sure if you can make that branch public in the repo without additional access granted at this end. Happy to be contradicted by anyone who has used GitHub branching on public repositories longer than I
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2018 02:35
Hi everyone, my master is 106 commits behind the GGR master. How do I update my personal master within the Github website? Or is client software required for this?

Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2018 07:41 Edited at: 17th Apr 2018 11:34
Quote: "Hi everyone, my master is 106 commits behind the GGR master. How do I update my personal master within the Github website? Or is client software required for this?"

Hi Teabone,
both can work, with the client it always work.
If you want to do it over github, do the same merge request as for the game guru repo but in the other direction.
The better way is to pull your repo on your pc(local) and merge the master branch from the GG repo in yours. If a merge conflict appears you can easily fix it with a diff Tool

If nothing works, I can push it in my repo and request a merge from there or setup a merge request in github. What ever you want (write me a mail, then I see it earlier)
It is a bit complicated at the start but if you get it one time, you will use it for every development. I also use it for lua script, GG development and so on. It is the best way to return your working state to the last moment all works

Edit:
I checked it, github does not allow to automatically merge your stuff. So you must do it on your pc.
How to:
- pull your master branch from your repo on your pc with git
- after this is done => open the pull menu
- in "Pull from" enter "https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo.git"
- Choose your branch you want to update and choose master as remote branch
- if you have "merge options" choose "merge remote branch in current"
- press pull
it will maybe tell you that you have a merge conflict => edit this conflicts with a tool like kdiff
Thread and Download
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2018 17:31
Thanks very much for this information Corno! I'll get back to you soon around the process of it to see if i hit anymore snags. I can see how this mod I have made will be important for your water slider mod. As it will prevent the player from drowning automatically when raising the water height above the player/camera in TAB mode.

Additionally we have some nice new shaders coming to GG for viewing the underside of the water surface and even a really cool wavey underwater shader. So this is for sure something i think i need to push out there with both your guys round of modifications to make sure those two mods can be best utilized.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:22:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:22:06