Product Chat / GameGuru GitHub Help Thread

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 19:00 Edited at: 26th Aug 2020 00:09
The source release for GameGuru is such an important event, I felt it important we have a dedicated help thread for this. There are some instructions on the repository but people new to GitHub (like myself) will probably have some issues along the way.

I wanted to kick things off by providing some useful links then hopefully the more experienced coders will be able to help with any specific issues people are having. It would be great to know how the whole cloning, branching and submitting process works for GG.

Here is what I have so far:

GameGuru Github Repository:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo

How To Compile and Test Your GameGuru Build
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/wiki/How-To-Compile-and-Test-Your-GameGuru-Build

GG Dev Kit Issues (Bugs) and Feature Requests (Enhancements)
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues

Quote: "GameGuru Dev Kit requires a Windows PC (7 or above) with a dedicated graphics card (DX11 2GB) and sufficient storage (ideally SSD) and at least 4GB of system memory. It also requires a Steam account with access to the latest release version of GameGuru on Steam. The computer will need to be connected to the internet for access to the online repositories and submissions."

In addition, the following free software is required:

Visual Studio Community Edition 2015
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/

DirectX SDK (June 2010) Installed
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=6812

Windows Kits 8.0, 8.1 and 10.0 SDK Installed
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive

Autodesk FBX SDK 2016.1.2 Installed
https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/fbx-sdk-2016-1-2

SourceTree for GitHub Client (uses Git LFS)
https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

Other useful links:

Blitz Terrain 2 Github Repository:
https://github.com/kaedroho/BlitzTerrain2

GameGuru Debugging (Tested with VS2017): - Start Game-Guru.exe then follow the steps.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/debugger/attach-to-running-processes-with-the-visual-studio-debugger

GameGuru Documentation / Help Resources:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/wiki/The-Documentation-Of-GameGuru
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 21:14
Thank you.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 22:18 Edited at: 24th Jan 2018 08:29
So I get the following error:

30>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'Psapi.lib'

Any ideas?

Edited: Think it may be because I have all my VS stuff installed on my C drive (my main SSD) but I've put the GG repository on it's own F drive (another SSD), when I try to build it it's probably looking in the wrong place for the libraries. Think I might reinstall VS on the F drive so everything is in one place.

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 13:12
I had VS and repo on C -won't compile must be some hard coded references to f:.

So moved repo to a new f SSD, though now I get:

Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'libfbxsdk-mt.lib' Guru-Lightmapper F:\GameGuruRepo\GameGuru Core\Guru-Lightmapper\LINK 1

and

Error LNK1181 cannot open input file 'libfbxsdk-mt.lib' Guru-MapEditor F:\GameGuruRepo\GameGuru Core\Guru-MapEditor\LINK 1

Looks like a missing fbx lib but thought i'd installed the correct version

Cheers.

Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 13:27 Edited at: 24th Jan 2018 14:18
First make sure you have all the latest changes form "master" , in sourcetree click "Pull" and select "remote branch to pull" -> "master" , click ok.

Then the first time you compile "GameGuru Core" , make sure you select everything EXCEPT "Guru-Lightmapper" and "Guru-Mapeditor" and -> build. Many of the others will make libs that are needed for "Guru-Lightmapper" and "Guru-Mapeditor" , so when all the others have compiled then you can compile everything.

Edit:
AmenMoses: its better to have VS on the default location c: , so try the above before you reinstall , i have my VS in a different location and need to change my setup each time lee makes changes to the solution files , so keep your VS on C
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 13:41
Success

Thanks Preben - just twigged what was happening. Amen I have VS2015 on C SSD and Repo on F SSD and it works ok (now) - sorry not encountered your issue.

Have a clean build and a nice green barrel on screen

Now the fun really begins .....

Thanks again Lee.

Cheers.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 20:33
All working now, I was missing some XP related libraries from my VS installation apparently. VS finally got around to telling me this and prompted me to update, hit the 'ok go on and trash my system' button, waited till VS had done just that then deleted the repo and re-cloned it. Job done.

So what do I want to tackle first ... hmmm.

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 21:20
The IntersectAll ray casting doesn't return hits on entities with collision off - looks like there was special code in there to enable this (object number = -125) but has been disabled. So have tackled that first as a small learning step.

It's as much a source of information on how the engine *actually* works which is useful - cutting down on the trial and error approach. There's a lot to get to grips with in Lee's GG world though

I imagine you will dive into the physics ?

Cheers.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2018 21:48
Actually my first stab is understanding exactly what all those Lua commands are doing. Already learned a lot in the short time I've had exploring.

Might start with a bunch of extra Lua commands to access information about entities, e.g. their size/scale, have been pestering Lee for ages so now I can go do it myself.

Can't say I'm exactly impressed by what I've seen so far though, way too many global variables with vague names for my liking.

Have discovered the answer to a lot of questions I had, like for example how many particle emitters you can have at any one time and how many particles they can be emitting (10 and 100 respectively).
PM
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 01:43
Quote: "I imagine you will dive into the physics ?"

I would appreciate if the community could hold off on messing with the physics at
this time. I have already started doing a complete over haul of the physics so I
can make it more modular and then add features faster. Once I am done, it will be a lot
easier to use.Lee has already added me as a collaborator and I have been busy getting the foundation set.
For those who do not know me I originally did the ragdoll for GG and added the 3D physics to AGK2.
I have a lot of really awesome features already developed I just need some time to add them.
If you want a sneak peek of what is going to be possible just check out my YouTube videos of already developed features.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQkjwB-lNTsDTva5yc3nEA
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 07:32
'Messing' is a bit of an emotive way of putting it but I hear you and that is great news - I've seen your work before and it is brilliant.

None of the community messing can affect the product quality as strict gatekeeping in play . Potentially though others are wasting their time in this area if you are on the case with this .

Cheers.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 09:00
Shouldn't be any need to 'mess' with the physics if GG is using the Bullet engine properly, all that should be needed is exposure of the physics engine to Lua so scripts can set parameters and react to physical events.

One thing I will be looking into is the first part, i.e. is GG using the engine properly?

PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 12:44
Quote: "Shouldn't be any need to 'mess' with the physics if GG is using the Bullet engine properly, all that should be needed is exposure of the physics engine to Lua so scripts can set parameters and react to physical events.

One thing I will be looking into is the first part, i.e. is GG using the engine properly? "

The short answer is no. It is not set up correctly.
Just exposing the Bullet Physics engine to LUA would not be correct.
The game engine( GG in this case ) needs to use the Bullet physics engine to create its own
game physics. These game physics would then be exposed to the LUA scripter to create
unique game play.

For those interested in the complete details of the coding overhaul continue reading.
I need to create a complete wrapping of the Bullet Physics engine specific to GG DirectX 11 version.
This is much the same as making a dll for the old DBPro language. I need to create a command
set that makes it clear and simple to call in the main game engine. This then gets built in a lib file
so it is exposed and can then be called in all other areas of the engine, including lua if needed.
My intention is to set the physics up with a couple of designer UIs so there is less scripting by hand
unless you want to. For example a ragdoll designer so you can create a custom ragdoll for any model
you import into GG. This would then get saved as binary Bullet collision shape file .bcs to be loaded
when needed. This is faster then a Lua script and since this would not really change there is not necessarly
a reason to create a script. Another example would be a collision shape designer for complex dynamic
objects that have concavity. This would automatically do a convex hull decomposition of the object and
create a compound collision shape and allow changing the center of mass of the object. Again saving this
to a .bcs file for the model. Note this is needed for better vehicle physics.Video explains better.

Another example would be Automatic Fracture physics which is my favorite, probably because
all the time I spent developing it.

Also a vehicle designer for imported models.

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2018 19:03
Compiles and runs with VS2017....good start so far. Will see how this all goes....
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 13:05
Conversely I can already do this in Lua:

And yes they can shoot at you.

The only thing making this sort of thing difficult is a lack of functions returning entity info, for example the current Lua functions to return positioning information could be easily extended to return the collision box info as the data is already there.

In fact I might add that this weekend.

A physics callback mechanism would be a cool addition, for example the script passes a Lua function to the engine for a given entity and the engine calls that function when a collision is about to occur, then the script can handle the collision and return to the engine.

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 12:06 Edited at: 27th Jan 2018 12:07
@Stab - would the destruction physics work with glass? I mean can it be a 'targeted area' ie a brick wall with a window in a bullet or object would bounce off a wall but would pierce or break glass.
That is if we can ever have proper glass lol nice work by the way
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 13:52
Quote: "@Stab - would the destruction physics work with glass? I mean can it be a 'targeted area' ie a brick wall with a window in a bullet or object would bounce off a wall but would pierce or break glass.
That is if we can ever have proper glass lol nice work by the way "

Yes, the fracture method works by pre-fracturing the object before game play.
If the glass is a separate object or limb of the object then it can be fractured separately.
With CSG you can also cut out a section of an object and fracture that cut out piece.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 14:06
I would rather we get the simple stuff working first!

Getting simple physics like friction/drag working properly would in itself be a huge improvement, currently a ball will slow down reasonably accurately when on terrain (not so much on another entity though) but doesn't when 'in the air'. In fact if a flying ball hits another entity like a wall it can accelerate away, sometimes so much it will fly off the edge of the map.

Also Lua access to the physics settings is required so things like cartoon games can have unusual physics or a space based game can have proper 'zero G' style physics.

One of the reasons my Moonlander demo got shelved was that there seemed no way to set the physics suitable to mimic low gravity conditions.

PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 14:49 Edited at: 27th Jan 2018 15:03
Quote: "Getting simple physics like friction/drag working properly would in itself be a huge improvement, currently a ball will slow down reasonably accurately when on terrain (not so much on another entity though) but doesn't when 'in the air'. In fact if a flying ball hits another entity like a wall it can accelerate away, sometimes so much it will fly off the edge of the map."

LOL. I always wondered what could possibly be happening with the physics that would cause that since
I never had it happened in my implementations of Bullet physics. Now I know!
This will be taken care of when I have the core redone.

Quote: "Also Lua access to the physics settings is required so things like cartoon games can have unusual physics or a space based game can have proper 'zero G' style physics."

Defiantly settings should be accessible thru LUA but something as simple as changing gravity could be in the editor.
Answer is yes already figured out zero G or micro G.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 15:56
The reason for Lua setting is so that the settings can be changed whilst the game is playing, for example you may have a game set on a space station where inside the station you need gravity but outside you want low or zero G.

I've already noticed that the Bullet engine uses a quaternion library (built in to the DX libs?), if that can be exposed through Lua, and some of the other maths functions as well, then it saves having separate Lua libraries to do the same thing, not sure which would be better performance but I'm guessing the native C++ versions may be better. Plus it seems pointless having to load Lua libraries if the functionality is already there!

Btw, the 8 wheeled scifi vehicle thingy I showed off above doesn't use a special animated model, all the entities you see are simple low poly static meshes which are being moved around with Lua scripts using my quaternion library which is also written in Lua.
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 16:49
If anyone wants I can open up a channel on the GG discord specifically for GG modders/developers?

https://discord.gg/jT9x9d
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 17:49
Hi Teabone that would be great thank you
I have access to GitHub so if no one else does I will post any forks or changes that people have made for informational purposes some don't have or don't want the GitHub
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 18:14
Quote: "
Yes, the fracture method works by pre-fracturing the object before game play.
If the glass is a separate object or limb of the object then it can be fractured separately.
With CSG you can also cut out a section of an object and fracture that cut out piece."

Awesome I look forward to your implementation good luck
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 01:27
So I have been busy dusting the cobwebs off my old physics code development and creating the base of the physics overhaul.
I now have 14 code files written and have no bugs or crashes. I have finalized the plan for the all the physics features I will add
and will be discussing it with Lee later in the week. I hope to have something running to make a video by next weekend.
This will be dependent on how much time I can apply to the project.

When I take breaks from coding I like to model and test the new PBR in DirectX 11. I decided to test the GG orb
that is in the miscellaneous folder since it was designed for PBR and looks similar to the PBR orbs in 3D Coat. I discovered in
3D Coat that the model did not have the correct normals or UV mapping. This also caused an incorrect ambient occlusion texture.
So I fixed the normals and corrected the UV mapping and created some PBR textures including a new AO map.
I apologize if this is stepping on the toes of the original modeler but I though it better to correct the error
so the community knows the issues, as it made the GG rendering of a PBR object look awful. When Lee gets the Repo running
I will upload these fixes to the models. So, ATTENTION community if we do not make the models correctly then we can not
expect GG to render them correctly. This in turn makes it harder to debug and fix problems with the engine.
I hope this does not come across as condescending as it was meant to be educational. Some screen shots to show the errors.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 01:37
Now that I have my pickuppables script working properly I've uncovered a nasty physics related bug, if you drop a heavy object onto a lighter one the lighter one gets punched through the terrain! Any chance your changes might fix that? Alternatively could you give me any pointers as to where in the code the problem might be?

PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 02:22
Quote: "Now that I have my pickuppables script working properly I've uncovered a nasty physics related bug, if you drop a heavy object onto a lighter one the lighter one gets punched through the terrain! Any chance your changes might fix that? Alternatively could you give me any pointers as to where in the code the problem might be?"

There are several reasons that might cause this all of which should be fixed with the overhaul.
There is not an exact place in the code to look at currently as this is more about missing functionality.
Basically the code is not there. You would need a properly setup constant collision detection system
which would include a max linear velocity and a max angular velocity for objects.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 08:53
Ahh, that explains the several 'bandaid' fixes I've noticed dotted around the code related to things like stopping objects sinking into the terrain, and probably also why the opposite problem exists, i.e. when terrain is 'off' it is still there in a physical sense probably the same 'bandaid's to blame. It's all making a lot more sense now.

Hopefully it will all work a lot better after your overhaul.

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 10:06 Edited at: 29th Jan 2018 10:07
Quote: "So I fixed the normals and corrected the UV mapping and created some PBR textures including a new AO map.
I apologize if this is stepping on the toes of the original modeler but I though it better to correct the error"

Not sure what has happened there you are not stepping on my toes but here is my original UV can you point out what I've done wrong ?
the normal map was created with Quixel so that should have been ok.
I have checked my UV and it looks fine to me

Attachments

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 10:38
Quote: "I apologize if this is stepping on the toes of the original modeler but I though it better to correct the error"

It would be cool if you could post the fixed model and explain what was wrong with it .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 11:20
Quote: "It would be cool if you could post the fixed model and explain what was wrong with it "

I am exporting and texturing them again I do not know what was wrong with them, I created them for Preben a while back they only took 10 mins to make I will delete the UV's and re export them and send them to TGC.

sorry for the inconvenience
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 13:09
I think your model just lacked the smoothing groups GraPhiX

I'm getting a similar result (i think) as Stab after i've imported the orb as an obj into wings3d and used the autosmooth function like Stab has explained in his video tutorial.

Attachments

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 14:32
GraPhix, the normals look correct in your screen shot in UU3D. Sometimes when you export from modeling
software it does not export the normals especially when exporting in .obj.
Yes, It is the smoothing groups( Hard/Soft edges) these determine the normals of the vertices of the model.
The normal map was not the problem. The normals of the vertices are used to create the AO map and are also used
by GG to render correctly. The UV map seemed ok but 3D Coat would not texture it correctly until I re mapped the UV.
I have attached the model in both .x and .obj.

Attachments

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 14:53
Thanks Stab in the Dark software I will look at this as well,never stop learning .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 14:54 Edited at: 29th Jan 2018 14:55
ok thank you for the explanation, I think I have found the issue I did the UV maps in UU3D a while ago since then i have updated to the latest version of UU3D and you are quite right the old version was not exporting the vertex normals with OBJ I noticed this when I created the chainsaw, this new version seems to have that corrected, I have created a new ORB in sketchup and just uv mapped it and exported OBJ all seems correct now so I will texture and post the new ones shortly

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 15:24
does this look better ?
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 15:50
Looking very sharp .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Jan 2018 16:52
Here are the new Preview ORBs, I hope these are more up to standard, I am sorry for the others.
I have done a Glass one too.

Attachments

J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad Soul - Thank you for all those links
it took me 2 days to get all the tools together and setup..
Mainly because my microsoft-live account had been frozen..
but once I got that reactivated it was full speed ahead..

The only problem I had was my version of Visual 2015 was in drive F:
So when I compiled... it could not find the VS2015 include files..
I had not used VS2015 much before (reason acount froze out)
so could not figure where to change the include directives..
but did notice a VS2015 folder(Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0) in C: drive with only XML folder..
So I added a VC folder and copied the (atlmfc) and (include) folders from F:
I followed Lee's compile instruction and GG compiled everything with no errors...

A further 3 days reading the code trying to orientate myself on where to start..
I have never used GiHub before so needed this helping hand...

First test was to add some new Lua functions...
for light control..
lt = GetEntityLightNumber(e)
SetLightPosition(lt,x,y,z)
SetLightColor(lt,r,g,b)
SetLightRange(lt,rng)
So I now have a script attached to a light (or multiple lights)
and the light follows the player at a random x,y,z offset
and sets random Color, random Range for random time..
great fun...
The main thing now is.. have I added this code...
In the correct place..
to the correct standard..
and not breaking anything else..
The fact that it works does not mean it is good to go..

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2018 22:10
Hi J_C - nice to see you back.

Strangely enough moveable lights by lua was the second thing I changed - sometimes it is the little things that have been bugging you for years that make all the difference when sorted out

Cheers.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 21:43
I was trying to get moving lights working earlier last week to no avail. Didn't realize it wasn't supported yet.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2018 00:02
Any GitHub experts out there that can explain how to use this thing?

For example, I erroneously did a commit and push when Lee set me up as 'read only', so I just get an error message along the lines of 'you can't do that'. I reasonable assumed that the correct thing to do was 'reverse the commit' and do a pull request but now the pull option is greyed out!

I feel like somebody saw Blender and thought "hey I can make a version control system this obtuse!".

PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 23:10
@J_C - Your welcome. I had to reset my Microsoft live account to get VS community edition too!

@AmenMoses - It looks like your pull request got flagged with Lee as its marked for review here:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/pulls

For awareness, GG dev kit issues and feature requests (enhancements) are being logged and tracked here:
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues

I've updated the 1st post with the issues / enhancements link.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 23:19 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2018 23:21
Hey Stab, I have categorized my reports based on shaders, editor, physics, weapons, media, etc

So that way whoever is constructed or volunteering for a specific area can easily sort out the bugs and posts on the tracker. Least from my posts.

For anyone that would like to post a bug on the issue tracker, I recommend posting it on the forums first in the bug section so it can get checked by other members to see if its repeatable. Before posting to the github. Worst case scenario is everyone floods the tracker with non-bugs.

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2018 23:33
@Nomad Soul: Yep Lee had to give me write access before I could push the changes. All sorted now though.
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 01:26
Quote: "Hey Stab, I have categorized my reports based on shaders, editor, physics, weapons, media, etc

So that way whoever is constructed or volunteering for a specific area can easily sort out the bugs and posts on the tracker. Least from my posts."

From my current assessment of the GG code I have determined that there are too many
errors in the bullet physics engine GG interface. So at this time I am not looking at existing
physics bugs as I am focusing all my time on a complete rewrite of the bullet physics engine GG interface.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 20:07
Whatever makes entities be able to fly smoothly with collisions on

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 23:04
And solve the problem of the huge framedrop when near a wall of certain entities.
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 05:47 Edited at: 4th Feb 2018 06:05
Hi Guys

I'd like to kick the tires on AmenMoses new Lua commands but I really don't get the GIT. Can someone tell me how get his changes into my local copy so I can compile and test them. Also how to get them back out in the unlikely event they do not work.

A simple step by step would be nice.

Thanks
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
Albert Einstein
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 09:42
Presumably you just 'pull' then build. I find it all a bit strange having new terms for things that already have common terms in the industry, why re-invent the wheel? What's wrong with 'check out', 'commit', 'update' ... etc ...

The new commands don't really do much btw, they mostly just get extra information out of the engine (or get it more efficiently), I have found that I need to also have a GetObjectScales command btw, the collision box returned is the one for the base mesh so needs scaling before it can be useful, also the collision box coordinates are relative to the object origin so need to be translated and rotated and ... well lets just say its not for the feint hearted, my pickuppables script is beginning to scare me!
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2018 12:04
Here is a video which I think demonstrates what Teabone is on about.

The carried object is being moved using the Lua PositionObject command which moves the physics object to a specific location rather than what in this case we would really like is a 'move to' location 'from' the current location and process collisions on the way sort of command.

When it is moving slowly other objects can react and the Physics engine will move them out of the way (I have vsynch on so the movements are every 60th of a second, I believe the Bullet engine is running its 'frames' at double that rate but I may be wrong) but when I move slightly faster the objects instead will pass through each other.

For the pickuppables script I have Lua doing the terrain collision bit for the carried object (as demonstrated in the video) so you can't push it through the terrain or rotate it near the terrain in such a way to 'punch' through, I am only doing so on the 8 corners of the collision box though so it does look a bit weird on spherical or cylindrical objects and is not detecting edge collisions yet. Although this works well It becomes an issue of performance, if I were to extend the Lua collision detection technique to all the objects in a scene then it would almost definitely start to drop the frame rate.

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 20:52:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 20:52:28