Product Chat / IS a Game Scene Like This Possible?

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2017 19:49 Edited at: 29th Dec 2017 19:54
I just noticed a video posted about a year ago of a visually impressive game. In particular this one scene half way into the video:

link to scene: https://youtu.be/_NSPxCoaBYE?t=10m43s

I'm curious as to what would be required to recreate such a scene?

From what I can see there are some missing components to GG that would prevent this. Such as particle emissions for custom effects like the snow and mist. We had them in FPSC. Also is it possible to change the color of lightrays in GG? Or does it reference the edge of the color of textures on meshes its bleeding from?

Do you think the distant mounts are 2D with normal maps and spec maps? I'm very curious how this scene was achieved in its entirety.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2017 21:21
a scene like this could be done, however I dont think it's possible at such a large scale or high frame rate. in the scant few moments I watched i saw an entire outdoor area that dynamically changed to a less foggy indoor area (which frequently had [what would be in GG] more than 3 dynamic lights onscreen at once)

something like that would have to be separated probably but I am sure that the quality of scenery could easily be replicated given a talented artist. no question gameguru would struggle to render it half as classily.

Quote: "Do you think the distant mounts are 2D with normal maps and spec maps? I'm very curious how this scene was achieved in its entirety."

I always make distant stuff billboards. if youre only gonna see it from 1 direction, you should billboard it.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2017 21:54 Edited at: 29th Dec 2017 21:56
You can certainly make a similar scene, even a graphically demanding one...but you can currently not have these lightrays, this postprocessing and these weather effects, no. The lighting is vastly superior to what can currently be done in GG as well.

Quote: "Do you think the distant mounts are 2D with normal maps and spec maps? I'm very curious how this scene was achieved in its entirety."

I assume the mountains in distant are cleverly shaded 3d models. I've often seen this done this way, done something similar, though vastly inferior in quality to simulate distant cliffs in this map: Sample 1 // Sample 2

-Wolf
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2017 09:37
those are some sweet examples there. I hope in 2018 we get particles. I've been waiting years
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2017 10:12
I had that game, but I had to request a refund from steam as it kept crashing on my PC, but yes very impressive graphically. I think we can get close now, but not all the way yet.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Bluedio Vicotry V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2017 10:20 Edited at: 30th Dec 2017 10:32
For the little amount of time I spend using this software. Compared to some of you Folks. I never used the older versions. And I'm fairly new to visiting the forums. The one hopeful feature I see mentioned most of the time is a Particle system." Man, I can't believe the size tool box these older versions have. Does anyone still use this older software? And how does it compare to the new software? Oh yeah, very cool looking game!
Jim C
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2017 18:47
Hi GameGuru people!

I think it's possible! Well, kind of at least... GameGuru is awesome!

The video that Teabone posted reminded me of a little project I did, called "Snowy Mountain". In the video you can see that I used DevCore 35's cool snowbox and fog decals, to get a nice atmosphere going.

It's not quite on the level of particle FXs, but it doesn't look bad at all, I think.

PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 12:05
I hate this dude so much. The youtuber in the video.
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
https://sites.google.com/view/dkproductions

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 12:29
As soon as I see a wannabe pop up in the corner of the screen I allways turn of.there only chance of trying to be famous

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 20:30 Edited at: 5th Jan 2018 20:44
Quote: "Man, I can't believe the size tool box these older versions have. Does anyone still use this older software? And how does it compare to the new software? "

Yes quite a number of people still use FPS Creator. It has quite a number of features that are still not a part of Game Guru yet. Though FPS Creator is indeed, its predecessor. FPSC is now a free open source software. It has many limitations however and is mostly designed for interior world building. It did however come with a full particle system.

Here is a recent image from Mrigaya using FPSC:

In regards to Game Guru, I was expecting particle support to come much earlier than a lot of other features that came about such as the character creator and multiplayer. Its an essential tool for any 3D game creation. Currently we are stuck with using snow boxes and rain boxes to mimic such weather particles. Mind you these weather boxes are very well done.

The same effect as in Unity could be created in FPSC as in later versions an overlooked particle system was added. Here is a bad example of me testing it out:

FPSC fog particle tests by nbtmon:

FPSC snowflake particle test by tonando:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 20:42
I've asked this before but I'll ask it again:
What does this do?

ParticlesAddEmitter: ParticlesAddEmitter(particleid, -- create a particle emitter with the following parameters..
animationSpeed
startsOffRandomAngle
offsetMinX
offsetMinY
offsetMinZ
offsetMaxX
offsetMaxY
offsetMaxZ
scaleStartMin
scaleStartMax
scaleEndMin
scaleEndMax
movementSpeedMinX
movementSpeedMinY
movementSpeedMinZ
movementSpeedMaxX
movementSpeedMaxY
movementSpeedMaxZ
rotateSpeedMinZ
rotateSpeedMaxZ
lifeMin
lifeMax
alphaStartMin
alphaStartMax
alphaEndMin
alphaEndMax
frequency)

Does it bear any resemblance to the system in FPSC? If so can you explain how to use it to me pleased.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 20:48 Edited at: 5th Jan 2018 20:45
We have mild particle support for only one particle smoke type in GG. Kind of was tacked on there as a building block to start with for when the system actually gets worked on. I'm just curious when that may be. Cause I'd love to create more richer environments. At present things feel very stale and static.

** Just noticed that volumetric particle effects is next up on the feature board **

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 21:02
Yep, It's mind boggling to see that GG's predecessor FPSC had a decent particle system, decent underwater swimming and post-processing shaders, which is sorely missing in GG.

One should think hat it would have been implemented in GG out of the gate. GG is a very good engine, but hat's stuff that would make GG 200% better.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:04:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:04:34