Product Chat / How to make money from a game I'm building? I'm looking for ideas. And probably not just me.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Many people use GG for fun, but many also want to make money from the game they are building. In the GG engine you can only export to Windows operating system so you can not insert advertisements as in most mobile or browser games. And after the new rules of Steam Greenlight It is harder and less profitable to try to sell it.
Do you have any ideas on how to make money from a game you build with GG?

I thought to build a game that sends to SQL server how many kills you have and you can only see your ranking on a web page that contains advertising. What do you think about the idea and do you also have an idea?
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 14:44 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 15:09
Quote: "I thought to build a game that sends to SQL server how many kills you have and you can only see your ranking on a web page that contains advertising. What do you think about the idea and do you also have an idea?"

I steer away from anything that shovels advertising down you throut .

Edit. If your game is good enough it will sell

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 14:57 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 14:57
Personally like Granada I want to play a good single player game ..
without needing all the internet advertising, internet connection rubbish and high score ranking etc ..

Quote: "I thought to build a game that sends to SQL server how many kills you have and you can only see your ranking on a web page that contains advertising. What do you think about the idea and do you also have an idea?"

That's me out already ... Sorry
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
You have another idea? The Ads I'm talking about will only appear on the page that contains the number of kills and times you've been killed. Should not interfere with the game at all.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 15:21
Quote: "You have another idea?"

Make a good game,you shouldn’t have to rely on advertising to make money if your game is good enough .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 15:52
I steer clear of any game that contains advertising, a game should make money on its own merits through sales, not by shoving adverts down peoples throats. Advertising in games, or associated with advertising via its website should be made illegal in my opinion.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 16:06 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 16:06
Quote: "You have another idea?"

Well yes..
No advertising, High score or Internet requirements ...
It seems so far just talking about it is losing you sales ..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 16:33 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 16:34
for PC games i would stick to steam, ads only really work on mobile because mobile games tend to be small and casual so people don't like to pay for them and because you can tend to play mobile games for short duration but quite frequently it means ads generate more money compared to a full PC game which you will complete in a few hours and you won't really make money from ads if you have a small user base anyway, on average ads give very little return - about 1p per 100 views.
i've never played a PC game and thought "wow that other game looks cool, i should play that instead", whereas on mobile it's maybe possible because of the ads.

if you're worried about people not wanting to buy it then perhaps a free demo release would be a good idea.

as with all games your best method to make money is advertising (your own game), the more people who know about your game the better - it's a big ask but maybe try send some free keys out to youtubers and game review sites etc (just make sure your game is up to scratch first or it will back fire in a big big way).
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Dany
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all.
But according to the progress of GG. (And remember that other engines also improve over time) GG We'll get to something good only in two years or even more. Too bad!!!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2017 16:36 Edited at: 24th Dec 2017 16:37
Just look at the reactions to recent AAA releases that did this type of stuff.

Its hard for a single developer using GG to make money. You can certainly not make commercial multiplayer games using GG so that type of F2P and P2W stuff falls away instantly. The only way to have some income flow your way is if you make a genuinely decent game people want to play and pay for. Its easiest to target a niche (for example lovecraft themed survival horror, pop culture spoofs) that is used to lower budget indie quality.

An other way would be to make an outrageously terrible game and feed off the youtubers buying it to riff on it for views for a month and then have you reputation burned at the stake. But here we are already entering scam territory.

Making a video game on your own is really not a good way to make money as there are tons of better options that bring in cash faster and with less frustration.

Quote: "We'll get to something good only in two years or even more. Too bad!!!"

Not that it matters directly, but are your games actually any good themselves?

-Wolf
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2017 07:50 Edited at: 25th Dec 2017 08:01
If the game is good, you won't need to think about alternative ways to draw money out of people from it.

This year I've been pretty anti loot-boxes, in-game ads, micro DLC and any type of revenue stream that exists beyond the initial payment of a game. I don't play multiplayer games so i'm not indoctrinated into the idea that it is okay to take money from people who have already paid for a product Even while "take" might be optional from the player, its still encoraged and i never have felt comfortable with this. While ads dont technically do this... its the thought that money is more important than creativity and that bothers me the most about some developers. I tend to stay clear from those products (which is unfortunately a lot).

Someone that was in this community who was purely thinking about how to make money with GG literally uploaded a demo from GG on Steam and made easily over 5k. So if its just money you want.. many ways to get it. As unethical as some of them may be. However i personally wont support anything that doesnt have the passion behind it. And that is the case with many other potential buyers.

Advertising requires the audience behind the game to be very involved and active at all times to make substantial revenue from Google Adsense. That's even harder than building the game itself. Make a good game, get a lot of sales. Its as simple as that. Trying to plug oher ways to get money from your game is a bad idea entering 2018 after the EA fiasco.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 22:42
I hate ingame ads, that's why I never play mobile/browser games.
I think the only way for indies to make some money at the moment is: Steam
Forget it to sell it from your private website, forget retail box versions.
Steam is the only good way at the moment.

Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 00:50
I was hoping at some point GG would give us the ability to publish to the Xbox Live Creators Program (https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/creators-program) as well as some other console gaming systems (like the Nintendo eShop (as well as the Nintendo Switch) and the PlayStation Network among others).

It would also be nice if it was a one click publish from inside GG (instead of having to go through the AGK like what is currently required for Android).

This would make more markets available for GG users.

Jason
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 01:06
Quote: "I was hoping at some point GG would give us the ability to publish to the Xbox Live Creators Program (https://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/creators-program) as well as some other console gaming systems (like the Nintendo eShop (as well as the Nintendo Switch) and the PlayStation Network among others)."

That’s a lot to ask for a engine that costs so little money

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@blueFire No, I don't think GG is ready for console publishing. Maybe in some years, but let's keep improving on PC platform and make it stable and collect much more good releases first.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 01:10
In other words,let’s be realistic .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 02:09
Quote: "@blueFire No, I don't think GG is ready for console publishing. Maybe in some years, but let's keep improving on PC platform and make it stable and collect much more good releases first."

Plus, we've already been told by Lee that it won't happen, he has said in the past that GG will be for PC only, and if we want o publish on other platforms then that is what AppGameKit is for.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 23:56 Edited at: 31st Dec 2017 23:58
Yeah, as already said - just make a game people want to play and sell it for a few bucks on steam.

Adds in any form from anywhere by anyone are just BAD.

I have AdBlocker, and some sites detect it, and put up a notice stating that they make their money form ads, and want you to disable the plugin for their site, which of course just ends in kiling their page - what are they thinking!

Now - why would I want to play a game that uses ads in any way at all. Heck I don't even watch tv because I hate ads - period.

So, make good game that people want to play, and save the world from the scourge of ads

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 00:35
You want my money here is a simple formula:

Make a game as good as Myst or The Witness or Lemmings and do not under any circumstances try to advertise anything in the game nor ask me for any money beyond the payment for the game itself.

Simple as.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 01:14
Another option is to release your game for free to let someone play the first part of your game but require them to unlock the rest of your game (by paying real money) to finish your game (the unlock method would be built into the game). In the past this was used for some games (something similar to shareware) and while I have never tried this approach it would require your game to be good. I do not think that GG is currently capable of doing this. I also do not know if there are commands in the Lua language that would allow this type of thing to be easily added to GG.

Jason
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 01:19
Nothing to do with Lua, simply make level one free and levels 2 onwards paid.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 10:48 Edited at: 1st Jan 2018 10:49
Quote: "Nothing to do with Lua, simply make level one free and levels 2 onwards paid."

Sounds good ...
Once you complete the first level then the " Game Over " screen simply have more details about the game and a link to a webpage where users can purchase the full version via pay pal ... Easy.
PM
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, true, you could just go trough the "demo" way.
PM
Medmatheus
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess the right question is how to make money with a game that AI just don't work.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 01:02
Quote: "I guess the right question is how to make money with a game that AI just don't work."

I think we have already beat that one to death

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 01:08 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2018 01:48
Quote: "I guess the right question is how to make money with a game that AI just don't work."

I guess the answer is ... Stop worrying about things you cant do and concentrate on what you can

" Fathers Island " has done pretty well on steam ..
http://store.steampowered.com/app/460940/Fathers_Island/

Or this new one greenlit " Medieval Real Estate " ... Again more of a script based game ..
http://store.steampowered.com/app/768170/Medieval_Real_Estate/

And heres another .... " Make That Money "
http://store.steampowered.com/app/600600/MakeThatMoney/
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 02:55
Although it could have, i would not say it has done well.
The list of complaints about loading times and not working properly is long.
That will change with the coming update but then there is still a problem with memory usage which is filling up with loading the same map level again or if it is multilevel, the next level.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 11:27 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2018 11:30
I would agree loading times and memory usage are probably a bigger hindrance for me than the AI at the moment ..
But as Granada states we all know AI still needs attention and I'm confident it will
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 21:07
When playing games with Game Guru my main issue i encounter is the long loading times leading to lower interest in completing the game. No matter how good they may be.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

JonRobbo
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 22:19
Quote: "When playing games with Game Guru my main issue i encounter is the long loading times leading to lower interest in completing the game. No matter how good they may be."

Same here, I completely gave up with wolf's game as you got killed real easy and had to wait an ice age for the whole shebang to load again, totally lost interest in it and couldn't care less what was beyond how far I got.
Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 23:29 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2018 23:30
That's so obvious, and I never understood what takes so long in GG levels to load, also considering the quite old looking graphics.
I really think like you that it's a priority issue to solve, and I'm hoping for the upcoming update - it seems to have way shorter loading times, but it becomes very long again when initializing physics in level that has got a few buildings.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I never understood what takes so long in GG levels to load"

So has anyone actually tried a demo standalone using the DX11 Preview ?
To see if its any faster loading times I mean ..
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "When playing games with Game Guru my main issue i encounter is the long loading times leading to lower interest in completing the game. No matter how good they may be."

Believe it or not I Bought and quickly removed " Star Wars Battlefront " that cost me 60 odd quid because of its loading times ...
Let me tell you .. Game Guru is like lightning compared to that so don't think there isn't any worse out there because I can assure you there is I'm my catalogue of games
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 07:39 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 07:40
My game projects that have more then one map don't work in the new DX11 version of Game Guru unfortunately. So I cannot check the loading times.

Most of the GG made games I played on Steam take as long as 5 minutes or more to load. Sometimes even as long as 10 minutes.

Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 09:59 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 10:01
Hi All,

I don't often post here these days, but I agree about the loading times. Like synchromesh, I've uninstalled several games because of slow loading, Rome II was a good example, which should have been a great game, it that case, it wasn't just starting a game, it took up to 15 minutes to exit a battle, so I could only play for about 20 minutes in an hour, so slow loading does cripple games, and it doesn't matter how good the game is.

In GG, it's the time taken to compile shaders that causes slow down, something I know Lee is aware of.

SC
i7-4770s 3.10ghz - Geforce GTX 650ti
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm guessing not to many here ever experienced Multi load Cassette games like the good old C64, Spectrums, Amstrads ... some even spread aver a few C90 Cassettes .... Ahh the good old days ...
Ya dunno your born I'm tellin ya
PM
maiacoimbra69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 15:54
i think that with the upgrade of the engine all will be fine and no more lag time do load
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 15:56
Ohh, come on, the eighties are far behind us.

But the load times are hugely improved in GG, the multi level test showed that.
Not only the load times, GG as a whole is quite a lot faster.
If the memory problem is solved, i should also not experience the dive in load time when reaching level 5 and have a fully occupied vram.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 16:58 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 17:01
@JonRobbo: Have you tried the sequel? It has checkpoints and you get 10 lives to respawn instantly I'd be interested in your opinion.

Quote: "Ohh, come on, the eighties are far behind us."

True! Remember the 90s too, where you stared intensely at the loading bar, half expecting a crash any second.

I also concur about the loading times. Including the software itself. However I do not yet know how that will be in the X11 version.

-Wolf
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 17:11 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2018 17:13
Quote: "Ohh, come on, the eighties are far behind us. "

You wouldn't think so ... We still have long loading times even on AAA games ... Poor signals on Mobile phones ... Less quality built products and we no longer physically own the music or games we buy .. They call it progress
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 17:37
Those days, going to the recordstore for a new album.

Cylo
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think we should look at 80's and 90's to justify longest loading times. We just need to fix it, because we are talking about still 15 yo looking graphics that takes a lifetime to load every level, not to be kidding about.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't think we should look at 80's and 90's to justify longest loading times."

Its not Justifying anything .. its remembering what we had to put up with back in the Day and now as mentioned its actually happening again even with AAA products .. Lighten up a little
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 21:17
Quote: "15 yo looking graphics that takes a lifetime to load every level, not to be kidding about."

Well...I'm pretty sure that I can reach a graphical level of fidelity more akin to 10 year old graphics than 15 year old ones.

And yes, we don't justify anything here... just reminissance. The loading times ARE an issue that needs to be looked at.
JonRobbo
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 23:23
Quote: "@JonRobbo: Have you tried the sequel? It has checkpoints and you get 10 lives to respawn instantly I'd be interested in your opinion."

I haven't but I will try it at the weekend, I was enjoying your game but all the waiting was killing it for me.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 09:01 Edited at: 4th Jan 2018 09:03
Not sure if everyone here has played most complete games made with GG. The load times are abysmal.

I however have not played a complex complete standalone multi-level game made with the latest build.

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 11:29
Quote: "Call of Duty: WWII is available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The title surpassed $1 billion in worldwide sales "

Make a game like WW2. Easy ,the money will role in .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
JonRobbo
User Banned
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 00:16
@Wolf
I tried the sequel, it still took ages to load but at least I survived longer and the 10 lives/respawn makes things a lot better, I also got the low fps alert which is another annoying aspect of GG, a GTX960 should easily be able to cope with your game, I can play Fallout4 and other AAA games on the highest settings with no problems at all, loading times and performance issues really let it down and are the main problems with GG.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2018 19:10
if you wanna make money from your gameguru games, I suggest you use gameguru as a catalyst to really get you into game design. if gameguru gives you an insatiable thirst to learn 3d art, programming, texturing, other game engines, or whatever else, then pursue that calling for your money and keep using gameguru for fun.

the more expectations you set for gameguru, the more it will disappoint you. I suggest making free games with it, but the best you possibly can, in hopes that someone who needs your specific expertise plays it. Making a great game with a crap engine is a great way to get the respect of people who play the games of those engines. talented people who are going places might remember your talent/skill.

it may seem to make more sense to make a crappy game and sell it to cash in. This will probably work okay, once. afterwards, nobody will continue buying your game.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2018 13:49
Quote: "This will probably work okay, once. afterwards, nobody will continue buying your game."

Or buy another of your products, or work with you, or play with you in the sandbox.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:20:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:20:48