Work In Progress / Cold Contract (First Person Shooter)

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2017 14:16 Edited at: 26th Jan 2018 16:43
Developer: DK Productions

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/y25795buc5teayi/cold_contract.rar

DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE NOW - TEST VERISON ONLY -

THIS PROJECT IS DISONTINUED FOR NOW until gg works properly. For now I release it for free just that my work wasnt completely a waste of time.

I will pick this up after some time, once the memory stuff gets better. I just need to take a longer break.

Story: (in development) Darren Coen, an ex military has been struggling for years now. He was able to survive by doing the dirty work for some shady underground criminals. But eventually the contracts ceased and alcohol was his last thing to fill his time with.
But some day he found a letter under his door - inside a contract with 20 grand in cash. Mission is to whipe out an illegal organ trafficking ring.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cold Contract is the result of months of trying and finding the style I wanna go for. My goal is to create a fun and semi realistic shooter with good performance and also good graphics.

Currently the develompent is on hold because if gamguru's memory issues. At the moment, there are 4 levels. I hope to finish it in 2018.

Here are some screens:

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
https://sites.google.com/view/dkproductions

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2017 16:22 Edited at: 9th Dec 2017 22:26
Hi DK!

Those screenshots looks very nice! It's got a good atmosphere going.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2017 21:35
absolute gold.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 03:41
wow, nice
the warehouse is from the tgc store?
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 04:25
Quote: "the warehouse is from the tgc store?"

he carefully assembled it himself, buttttt (incoming shameless plug)

you can get the ceiling stuff in my trusses, girders, and beams pack
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 08:05 Edited at: 10th Dec 2017 08:07
Thanks guys

No the warehouse is made of one-sided walls to save performance. The walls itself are a little bit bigger than the EBE Walls. My game used to have EBE structures but then I found out that it uses too many polygons and it has too much memory use. So I had te rebuild the entire level without EBE.
The Hallways, the Walls ... it's all custom assets. Only the crates and items and trusses ( like bugsy's ) are from the store or stock assets.
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 14:00
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 18:50
Wow, that's... exactly the kind of work I like to see. Bravo!
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2017 19:41
Quote: "Wow, that's... exactly the kind of work I like to see. Bravo!"

Thanks a lot

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2017 23:44 Edited at: 25th Dec 2017 23:46
Quote: "(incoming shameless plug"

Ye Bugsy that's just awfull ... Even so ...I bought them
Nice pack .. And those screenshots made me ... Incredible design !!
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 03:56
well then the plug got the intended effect then didn't it?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2017 12:54 Edited at: 26th Dec 2017 12:55
Quote: "well then the plug got the intended effect then didn't it?"

You know the awful comment was a joke right .. although I really did buy them
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2018 13:32
Thanks guys for the feedback!

As stated above I released a playable version. Download is free! Go for it

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 12:12
I just got around finishing your demo. You are brimming with talent! I drop you a full review of what I saw later.
I know you are currently on hiatus but there are some things I gotta say
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 13:56
Looking forward to it wolf

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 16:09 Edited at: 26th Jan 2018 16:12
I'll just throw this out there:

I've used a lot of different game engines over the years. I've worked in modding the original quake 1 engine going back to 1997/98 making a 10000 line AI program (500 pages or so of code) which someone else took to use to make the core 'reaper bot code' everyone knows and loves, worked in the MW4 engine making a mod called siege that the developers then used as the basis for a new multiplayer mode they added in the black knight expansion, I've worked in pie 3d gcs DOS/windows (required learning fortran/forth for ai programming!), worked in Acknex 7, 8 using their Lite-C system.

More recently I've worked in Unity, Unreal, heck I even played around in Lumberyard (not recommended for the average indy dev, btw) ... but the one thing that is a CONSTANT for all engines:

They all have problems. Every single one has stupid, obnoxious problems that require constant mucking around with to make them function. GameGuru is no exception.

That said, when you've exhibited the level of proficiency you have and then drop a project because you're frustrated with the errors - I get that, I do.

However you are going to run into problems in other engines too. I recommend taking a short break then getting back to it. Finishing a project, no matter how bad it is, is a skill a lot of indy devs lack. I myself suffer from 'I got bored and annoyed' syndrome. In spite of that, if you want to be successful you have to power through it and grind it out.

Use innovative solutions to deal with your memory issues or problems with long load times.

Also, best advice I can give for fixing your errors:
Read the log files! Enable logs if they aren't setup to (I think you have to modify a setting in setup.ini) and read the logs. There's a lot of info in there that's pretty plain to see like 'error loading model such and such.'. Great - then remove that model! Done. Problem solved.

I've made a lot of games I don't release that are just private endeavors. I'll post my most recent one here shortly, which has a whole 'five nights at freddy' vibe to it. It's all doable. It requires testing and fixing. It requires reading log files. It requires 'adding things the standalone builder missed'. It's all there part of the game making process.

In the end I have functional games that play well. You will too, if you don't take the easy way out and quit.

Good luck either way, I enjoy your work and look forward to more.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2018 16:40 Edited at: 26th Jan 2018 16:42
Thanks Bolt action gaming for your post. I get what you are saying.

Quote: "
Finishing a project, no matter how bad it is, is a skill a lot of indy devs lack."

That could be true and I am not dropping this !

I just need to take that break and come back whenever I feel ready for it.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2018 16:10
@Duchenkuke : Have to agree with everyone, an awesome looking game and almost a crime not to finish it and get it onto Steam Unlike before, I now have a way to get your issues dealt quickly thanks to the way GitHub allows parallel work performed on the core game engine. If you want to post some of the issues that the Public Preview is doing to stop development of Cold Contract, I can look at getting someone in to deal with those as a priority, as I think we would all like to see this game go the last mile. Also, if you are interested, I'd like to feature your game and downloadable demo on the GameGuru website which is getting a revamp shortly. If you are interested in this, let me know directly at lee@thegamecreators.com
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Slaur3n
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2018 16:36
Lee, you are awesome
Visit our FB site and like
https://www.facebook.com/crowhillstudiosofficial
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2018 17:48 Edited at: 30th Jan 2018 18:11
holy crap lol that what unexpected

I never GAVE UP on this, I am sure gg will go its way.

I'll be happy to help where I can. Thanks for your response !

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "holy crap lol that what unexpected "

Told ya it was a stunning looking game
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 06:44
I told ya so, too!
"I am a road map, I will lead and you will follow, I will teach and you will learn, when you leave my sprint planning you will be weapons, focused and full of JIRA tickets, Hot Rod rocket development gods of precision and strength, terrorizing across the repository and hunting for github submits."
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2018 07:34
thanks guys

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 14:34
Hey Duke!

Well, I'd great the whole community but I doubt that many read these long form reviews but the developers. If you do, then cheers mate!
Argh! The cat keeps jumping on my desk. ....okay! Lets go. Best set the mood with some relaxing music, maybe grab a cup of tea... I sure did to pass the loading times.

Cold Contract

... is not only among the finest GG games that never where but also, apart from a few things mostly out of DK's control, feels almost like a middleware grade shooter game.

After GG's signature gruelingly long loading screens we are greeted with a simple yet very effective intro cinematic. It helps a lot to set the mood rather than just drop the player somewhere and have him figure it out. With his previous release, Hunted: One step too far DK has proven that he knows how to design a level and also sell the player on the right atmosphere. Atmosphere is what makes or breaks many games, especially when studios can not afford the polish of AAA titles. STALKER is a good example! A legendary game despite being a total mess on a technical level. The shooting mechanics in this game are a terrible mess and even the motion feels off. In fact, Cold Contract's guns feel better than those in vanilla STALKER. Hehe, vanilla...the modding slang is just so cringe worthy.

The first level is a masterpiece not only by running at a very solid frame rate despite being rather detailed but also at conveying a sense of place to the player. You really feel like you are in a dingy industrial area, completely snowed in. I've seen previous attempts at frozen areas in GG and DK puts them all to shame. He even bothered to do such crucial things as putting snow on containers and rooftops. A "detail" the size of a hippopotamus other artists tend to neglect. He is of course just one man and did not put icicles everywhere and retexture every car to have a frozen look, which he hides well with fog and an actual snow effect.

Its the details that make this map, that has essentially no game play, enjoyable. The music, that one pedestrian working in the background...I'm instantly hooked. I find that an introductory map like this without action gives the players a far deeper sense of place an immersion than just dropping them in a gun fight. Moving on, I haven't had the fact that I voiced the contact for this level in the front of my mind and was initially startled to hear me tell me to get a rifle hidden in a dumpster. I like the detail that I show up unarmed to avoid suspicion in public...it kinda telegraphs that the game has been made by someone who is not American too though. However the game also mentions that I have a headlamp attached to what I assume is combat gear. The little health icon akin to what we saw in games like Project I.G.I. suggests this too. I however prefer to imagine that its a giant maclite attached to a pink hello kitty bicycle helmet.

Failed attempts at humor aside we enter the warehouse. Where we are spotted by the surveillance camera. Listening to his tone of voice, the armed mercenary just barging in seems to be more a frustrating annoyance than a major threat. I honestly like this though and vote for it to remain this way.
Here we pick up the shotgun...which has the wrong texture aaaalll over it. This is a visual issue I can't handle so I opt our for my Glock, which is the weapon to go with in this game anyway.

The next thing that happens is getting to experience Cold Contracts most fatal flaw. Grueling goulish difficulty from hell. I like this type of game and have finished FEAR on the highest difficulty without tapping into the slow mo feature but... well, being forced to peek around every corner and relying on the GG AI to not spot you is just not fun shooting. The subdued music and bleak industrial environment gave the game the occasional sense of realism but err... the GG chars look out of place and their weapons, which I can not pick up, do too. This whole part is noticably unpolished and it really takes a lot from the game. I also notice that there are way more soda machines than would be here realistically.

The halls of the warehouse are well designed. In the top office where I can listen to a FEAR style answering machine had a skylight where I could see the snow outside. Stuff like that just makes DK's games special to me. Visually the game peaks with the big warehouse hall, it also opens up here and you really have to slowly crawl from cover to cover to not get shot in the back by some darn unmannerly cookie. In fact, I got shot marveling at the architecture of the place by this one bloke with the sniper rifle. More on this later.

In conclusion, Cold Contract has the potential to be the best GG shooter ever made, however there are several reasons why I don't think you should attempt that. I tell ya more on that later.

The main issues with the game are of course your inability to add additional levels due to the memory shenannigans we are currently facing.
The long loading times.
The difficulty. I'd argue that the warehouse is downright impossible for regular players and those that don't know GG's AI weaknesses. The enemies fire at you instantly and those with the sniper rifles have a rate of fire that is way too high and usually one shot you anyway. Enemies also take too much body damage while the player takes significantly less.

Here is my subjective opinion why I don't feel you should finish CC and rather flesh out the post apocalyptic game. CC is just a shooter. A rather regular one at heart. The kind that has been internationally produced by middle and indie developers globally for almost 2 decades now. Shooters have a lot of "standard for a reason" features these days players come to expect like: Being able to grab weapons dropped by the enemies or even loot them, being able to interact with physics objects and break stuff/windows, a high framerate and longer levels, leaning and melee options and so on. So an indie game, in order to sell, has to have some other hook than "Just being a shooter" and with the post apocalyptic game you can double down on a gripping story and atmosphere ( your strong suit )...the whole contract killer thing feels a lot more generic and has way less of a fan pool.

GG allows us to make our own games with ease and speed but PC Players are used to a certain standard of quality and interactivity ever since the source engine. Ya gotta real them in with something that is unique about your game or speaks to a specific crowd. This all sounds way harsher than I intend it to sound and I hope you get the message. Sometimes I don't need much but this just cracks me up. Haha!

-Wolf

Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 15:50
Wolf, thank you very much for taking the time again to write this detailed review

All I can say is that I fully agree on the good and bad sides.

I am in fact focusing on my newer project wich gives me more possibilities anyway. But the critiques you gave me here will definately be a factor in my future stuff

Thanks again, it's much appreciated !
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 20th Feb 2018 22:48
Duchenkuke good luck with your new project.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2018 07:03
Quote: "Duchenkuke good luck with your new project.
"

Thank you

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:12:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:12:41