Product Chat / Public Preview - Problems

Author
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2017 23:27 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2017 23:29
I was really excited about the DX11 release but I had to find out that all of my levels literally dont work anymore.
Here some examples:

bevore

after

its pitch black - the weapon, the hand, the ground.. can't see anything.

The Big escape level does look good though. Gotta admit.

I will post more issues eventually. Other levels wont even load - so I can't investigate more at the moment..
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
https://sites.google.com/view/dkproductions

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2017 23:31 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2017 23:35
The flashlight is also kinda "reversed"

When I look up, it comes closer. Looking down makes it go away from the player.

Hope this helps !
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Obviously this is a preview so Lee can find and sort these issues so make sure you have backed your maps up .. don't alter to much in your originals
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 06:19
hey guys ,
any of you have this problems yet ???

On my personal maps...
- in most while doing the test loading to play it...
- INITIALISING PHYSICS is often VERY LONG now,,,4 or 5 times as long
- on 2 of the maps it froze in that mode and had to REBOOT to get out of it as CTRL/ALT/DEL wouldnt work
- on another the map started then part way thru froze so bad again,,,,another full shut down and reboot.

id rather now back out of the PREVIEW test and go back to the BETA as it was wayy more stable and NEVER crashed
or froze my comp.

I should mention..
Windows 7 64
Nvidian 670 gtx
8 gig ram
6 cpu model

Thx

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 07:48 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2017 09:54
Quote: "- on 2 of the maps it froze in that mode and had to REBOOT to get out of it as CTRL/ALT/DEL wouldnt work
- on another the map started then part way thru froze so bad again,,,,another full shut down and reboot."

Yeah. This is what was happening with my map. I am going to wait sometime before i use this version of GG. I had lost some work unrelated to GG due to the CPU freezing requiring hard reset. Was unable to end tasks. I am considering re-doing my game from scratch to bypass this legacy issue.

Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 09:08
Quote: "make sure you have backed your maps up"

Of course i did !

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 15:07
Ai shoot but have no guns in there hands.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 15:33 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2017 20:45
Hmmmm

* Ok, loading of the attached "Big Escape" is really fast, but wasn't that level bigger in the versions before ?
* Loading hereditary levels takes enormously longer times, usually at creating "A I obstacles"
* Framerate in B.E. is always above 30 and below 50, with practically everything on "highest" (except brightness, contrast and debug; and "bloom" set to a reasonable level) : fair enough; and gameplay feels somewhat more fluent, even.

* A.I. seems to have improved, yet, occasionally, the opposition will turn away in mid battle , rotating in 90 degree chunks;
on the other hand, they sometimes remember to seek cover.

* GG crashed on me on several occasions when I tried to change vegetation/grass in T.B.E.

* Duchenkuke is right, something is wrong with the ligthing, it is hard to create lighting that is "right", not too bright or too dark in some spaces.

* Well, the rock surfaces and the wooden bridge are looking better, and maybe, the gun and some of the barrels may, too. But the rest is somewhat nosogood. If there is one thing that stroke me positively on GG over other engines was the overall "lush-ness" and colourfulness of GG scenarios . Starting up Big Escape, on first sight, I thought: "Damn, it's looking like an average 3D Gamestudio level now" ; yes of course, it's largely a question of the textures used, but also a question of the lighting. Something in the colours' and lighting balance has changed subtlely but noticeably - Maybe, the "Heir's revenge" will look better when converted to PBR, but currently, I doubt it.

* setting PBROVERRIDE=0 didn't help here, but it seemed to have helped with another thing:
shooting in "ironsight zoom mode" and hitting an opponent ever so often blended in a frame or two of the normal sight, creating an immense flicker; shooting at / hitting mere objects like trees or rocks did not create the flicker.

* I never use the lightrays in my levels, so, I'm not sure whether they improved, but turning them full up for this occasion brought forward some impressive vistas when the rays skimmed the bridge.
Lives of great men all remind us we may make our lives sublime
Core i7 4710 QM GTX 980 MQ 16GB RAM Win7
PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 16:05
Hey guys ,
Might it not be a good idea to make all these comments and observations
directly in to Lees forum for the Preview so that he can see them all together
in one place and find them more readily ?

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219024

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
Makedonskey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 16:48
Runtime Error: 0 : Cannot initialize DirectX11

My PC:
Win7-64
Direct 11
GeForce GT 710

Attachments

PM
yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey guys ,
Might it not be a good idea to make all these comments and observations
directly in to Lees forum for the Preview so that he can see them all together
in one place and find them more readily ?"

Don't think so because this here thread is properly titled. Lee's own thread will doubtlessly also be deluged with praise for his work, making it harder to concentrate on intermixed problem descriptions.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 17:50
Quote: " Lee's own thread will doubtlessly also be deluged with praise for his work, making it harder to concentrate on intermixed problem descriptions."

On point.

MStockton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 17:56
Well, no luck for me. I get a grey editor window, then a black editor window. Back and forth every few seconds, literally for as long as I let it go. Black screen says "editor", grey says "Not Responding". The longest I waited was over five minutes.

File verification said 193 files needed to be downloaded. Still no luck after that. No luck after Steam restart. No luck after PC restart. On and on, same thing.

Tomorrow I'll try to get back to the previous version. For tonight, it's time to do something else. I really hope I can at least get a good look at it soon. I was really hoping for a better result!
I tried to sign it but all I did was mess up my screen.
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 18:05 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2017 18:11
@Lee, why does the contrast and brightens only works when bloom is on.?
It use to work before even if bloom was on or off.
Please Make it like it use to be, i cant get correct settings in all my maps.?

oh and yes i forget. some off entities have black texture on them,
and when you walk up close to a wall that is lighted up, it become dark.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 20:14
You can set the bloom to 1 and the rest of the slider will work.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2017 23:26 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2017 23:28
Can't get this release to load most of my existing custom maps.

I have used several decals in most of my maps. My problem is that the public preview will not load any map that uses decals that have always worked in previous beta release. I have to use task manager to get out of the program lock out. Task manager reports that "All gameguru shaders need to be HLSL 5.0 or above".

Task manager then reports that the decals it can't load are the following - decal animate 4a,4b,4c fx files and decal_hose_spray.fx. Because the decals prevent GameGuru from loading, I can't even remove the offending entities from the map to test for anything else. To make matters worse, even if I were to find later HLSL 5.0 shaders, there is no way I can replace them with out access to the maps involved because I have no access to the editor.

Sorry, but I have no confidence in the new beta release (public preview) at this time.

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK10,817|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,026
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 00:54
Here is what you can do to fix this real quick as long as the decals are 4x4 as your description states.

In the effectbank/reloaded folder there is an updated decal_animate4.fx file that has been upgraded to DX11 shaders.
Make copies of it and rename them to your shaders and then restart Game Guru.
Load the map and all should be fine.

If the decals had more colums and rows then 4 x 4, edit the shader file at these lines.

float SpriteRows : Power
<
string UIName = "Rows";
string UIWidget = "slider";
float UIMin = 1.0;
float UIMax = 16.0;
float UIStep = 1.0;
> = 4.000000;

float SpriteColumns : Power
<
string UIName = "Columns";
string UIWidget = "slider";
float UIMin = 1.0;
float UIMax = 16.0;
float UIStep = 1.0;
> = 4.000000;

Change the 4.000000 to the number of rows and columns you had defined in the old shader.
Save the file. restart game guru.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 01:02 Edited at: 6th Jan 2018 19:45
My experience:

* Uzi Soldiers have invisible gun at hand
* Player Uzi - No cross hair, cannot hit enemies at reasonable range
* Player Shotgun - Appears dark, cannot hit enemies at reasonable range
* You can bump into solider enemies and they will not attack you, unless you're within direct view
* PBR trees causes error "Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR2"
* Loading The Big Escape cases error "Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR2"
* Fireball hands (staff) weapon restrict players jump height
* Default hurtfall set to 100 is very high off the ground. Should be set to closer to 70
* Magnify Glass tool icons dont work in Free Flight Mode (intentional?)
* "Getting Started" > "Welcome Screen" takes a very long time to load
* Flashlight doesn't seem to work in low ambience
* My old game map is not compatible with this version of Game Guru - freezes
* animated decals crash computer
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Pirate Myke
Thanks for the information...After a beer or 2 remembered that the decals that were causing the problem were copies of the original animate4.fx file
from the beta 2017-5-12 were I had made revisions to the fpe files named (a,b,c) and hose_spray.fx. My solution was the same as yours, everything works just fine now. Again thanks again...

During the wait for new beta I spent my time working on a couple of new card games in dpro and my brain got a little fuzzy...

Windows 10 creator,64 bit| Intel i7-7700 @3.60GHZ Quad|CPU PASSMARK10,817|Memory 16GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070|GPU PASSMARK 11,026
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 10:30
Quote: "As a matter of interest did none of the beta testers encounter any of these problems ?"

I guess not, if so I am sure Lee would not have released it...

Also the tests from the beta testers must have been much different than our projects really are... Otherwise I can't explain the amount of issues it has now.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 10:56 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 10:58
Quote: "I guess not, if so I am sure Lee would not have released it..."

Many did try their own maps when beta testing some with varied results in each build .... The Legacy maps were separated and the only one Lee was really working with was " The Big Escape " It was presumed all the old maps compatibility would be done last of all and that still maybe the case ...
If you start something from scratch its very stable which is what many were doing to beta test all the new features etc.

Perhaps Lee thought it was time to get overall feedback on the user map compatibility and released it. ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 11:26 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 11:27
Quote: "As a matter of interest did none of the beta testers encounter any of these problems ?"

Simple answer is Yes but has Synchromesh as already stated Lee wants a more 'general' what works what doesn't work idea. The Big Escape was the only Legacy level to get any TLC, BETA testers levels including my own were a self fix approach with help from other testers to see what worked and what did not.

The best approach at the moment is to not use the Public Preview on any level you may feel is near to completion as with any BETA the best approach would be to backup your current progress and rebuild your level from scratch if you want to test the new version.

Lee is aware of Legacy issues and is working on it I am sure we will hear something in the next couple of days

It was a massive exercise to swap the engine from DX9 to DX11 and so far the signs are positive just because the Public Preview is out does not mean its a finished project there is still a massive amount of things to do that Lee knows about and does not know about hence the public beta release, its better to have 1000's of testers rather than a 100 or so.

BTW I am not defending anyone here I personally am a little disappointed myself I would of liked another week of closed beta before Public Preview but I don't work for TGC
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 11:27 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 11:28
Quote: "If you start something from scratch its very stable"

I am sure it is !

Quote: "Perhaps Lee thought it was time to get overall feedback on the user map compatibility and released it. ?"

yeah and there is nothing wrong with it. I was just hoping to start with my project right away.^^

yrkoon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 12:41 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 12:48
Quote: "
BTW I am not defending anyone here I personally am a little disappointed myself I would of liked another week of closed beta before Public Preview but I don't work for TGC "

I personally am not 'disappointed', but I could neither ever share the high expectations of others here.

And just one more week seldom makes all the difference, unless you have to take up with some basic showstopper acting up on a not so rare condition nobody had thought of.

In that respect, the preview seems like the right thing at the right time, only everyone has to realize that this is not a proof that "ALMOST EVERYTHING IS DONE AND THE GOLD VERSION IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER", but, on the contrary, this is the time to beat about the bush in order to make emerge those things that managed to hide in GG unnoticed up to now. If they remained undetected, they might even create a structural weakness in GG MUCH harder to remove later, because other things might then be built on them as they are, not as they should have been.

But, as I wrote above, I am a little irritated on the looks of things' - or rather levels' - lighting. Maybe, I'll just need to get accustome to it , for the future.
PM
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 12:45 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 12:47
For the new public beta, DX11, i tested all the characters in an empty random map they are all stuck in the ground, moving randomly they are all stuck i think the problem come from the collision boxes because sometimes they are flying on top of the ground XD when you generate a random map with.

Charaters are all almost BLACK-DARK, we cant see the textures anymore like before, something is wrong with pbr.

The good thing is, i added +30 zombies characters and even with my small graphic card, im at around 30fps.
So this is really a good évolution of Game-Guru for me, compared to before.

Now Lee need to work on somes tweaks but its soon christmas...

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 14:31
Quote: "BTW I am not defending anyone here I personally am a little disappointed myself I would of liked another week of closed beta before Public Preview but I don't work for TGC "

I think this is the right step for further testing with the broader community base.

One extra week of closed beta testing would make no difference in my opinion.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 14:54 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 15:02
On the SciFi Pack level in particular, I'm getting white pixels on the terrain in editor and in test game. Looks dreadful

[update-changing PBROVERRIDE = 1 to PBROVERRIDE = 0 (SETUP.INI) seems to remove the white pixels-see pic 3]

Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
Hardware: Dell Precision 490; AMD Radeon HD 7570; 12GB.
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT

Attachments

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 16:28
I've noticed them too, while creating mountains on the defaultmap.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 17:02 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 19:20
I was horrified to see Rolfy's Galaxy Seed (which was a really beautiful level) looking more than awful (PBROVERRIDE set to both 0 and 1). Why is it all triangular looking? Everything is on high settings and I get 10 FPS which was a lot more in the previous version. Reverting back to previous version,

[just to echo what Lance noticed-I also get flickering on the terrain]
Professional Programmer: Languages- SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) , C++, C#, VB, SQL, PL-SQL, JavaScript, HTML, Three.js, Darkbasic Pro (still love this language), Purebasic, others
FPSC to GameGuru Tools: AutoWelder/SegAutoWelder, Entity+Weapon Welder, FPEtoBAT

Attachments

Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 17:38 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 17:40
Rolfy's Galaxy Seed gives me 60 fps on my laptop with settings set at highest BUT I get a lot of flickering of the terrain . Different terrain polys flicker In and out . In F11 mode #4 stops the flickering but it seems to remove some of the rocks or terrain features (?) .
The whole scene is way too dark for my taste............................

Lance

My Laptop : Acer Predator Helios 300 17"
Lance

Joined 22nd Jul 2003

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 18:52
Quote: "my levels took ages to load but at least they did load, unfortunately they looked awful and stuttered along then crashed and locked up, the only way out was to power down my computer so I have gone back to the previous version. As a matter of interest did none of the beta testers encounter any of these problems ?"

This is exactly the same experience I have with my game. I am curious however, do you have any decals on your map?

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 19:52
@bod , did you had time to test some of your models you made for the users,?

i saw that your helipad , the one with the two landing pad's , the second helipad's floor is now a see thru floor.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 19:59 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 20:01
Guys if your getting stuck loading levels in the editor set:
skipobstaclecreation=1
skipterrainobstaclecreation=1
and
pbroverride=0
varify your files first if you have lighting problems after doing both of these i was good to go loading up and running old maps this seems to overide first time running issues, then you can edit and resave
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 20:08
Interesting. Thanks Honkeyboy.

perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2017 21:02 Edited at: 4th Dec 2017 21:51
Teabone and Bod and others

Have you used any 3rd party decals / media in your maps?

If so those decals are most likely trying to use a 3rd party shader, which was written for DX9, which will not work in DX11.
The same goes for any 3rd party media that refer to any 3rd party shaders. like custom entity shaders, illumination shaders, scrolling shaders, etc.

If so, all of these shaders will need to be rewritten for DX11.
Or you could to modify your 3rd party media fpe's to refer to an official GG shader, but any custom effects that the 3rd party shader done might not be in the new official GG shader.

The same goes for any store brought 3rd party media, that uses custom shaders, those shaders need to be rewritten for DX11.
So you might also need to do a update to your purchased store items to get any new files, if the artist has had a chance to updated their files yet.
if they want to...

I haven't had any problems with any decals that come with GG.

So id say the 3rd party media is most likely the cause of the problems you are experiencing.

Cheers
Desktop: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, ~3.6GHz, Windows 10, 64-bit, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Display Memory: 4018 MB. Resolution 1360x768.
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
PT V9.0 3DMark=4344, Passmark=3291.

[RIP] Laptop: Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 2336 MB Memory. Resolution 1366x768, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. (WEI 5.8)
PT V9.0 3DMark=377, Passmark=1222.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
If you have lightmaps in your level you MUST lightmap it again to make it work in the new version ( like "Galaxy Seed" ) , or you get some ugly results.

If your lightmapped level is jerky ( known problem ) try running it in realtime.

If you use illumination in your level , you must edit setup.ini and use pbroverride=0 or it will not work.

If you make any changes to shaders like changing anything in settings.fx , or changing your own shaders you MUST edit setup.ini and use forceloadtestgameshaders=1

By default in the public preview you have pbroverride=1 , this option will try to make old media look like PBR media by adding roughtness and metalness to them based on the material selected in the fpe , so if your old media looks weird try changing your material in the fpe to better match your object, or use pbroverride=0 to make it look like it used to.

If you use pbroverride=0 , you will be using ALL the old shaders ( just updated to DX11 ) , but it should look like it used to , even if you use pbroverride=0 you can still add PBR to your level, when you use pbroverride=0 you can mix old media and PBR , when you add a PBR object it will use the PBR shaders.

If you get ugly white dots on your terrain , you are using pbroverride=1 and this will activate the PBR terrain shaders , this is both good and bad , the good think is that material roughtness or _gloss has been added to the terrain textures in the diffuse alpha channel so we can control PBR on the terrain as well , the bad news is that the current terrain textures has "specular" in the diffuse alpha and that dont mix and make those white spots. So the terrain textures need to be changed to PBR terrain textures to look correct. If you use pbroverride=0 terrain will use the old updated shaders, and it should look like it used to.

Quote: "@Lee, why does the contrast and brightens only works when bloom is on.?"

This has been fixed and will be in the next update.

About light: This was added as a last thing before the public preview and was not beta tested, mainly this is because PBR should ONLY have light from the surroundings not from a slider called "surface red ..." this will break the PBR light , but Lee wanted you to have full control so all the sliders was added and you have full control , so now you cant really say if you have correct PBR light , this all depends on your sliders and how they are currently set, so you properly need to adjust your sliders.

best regards Preben Eriksen,
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 00:31 Edited at: 5th Dec 2017 02:24
Quote: "Teabone and Bod and others

Have you used any 3rd party decals / media in your maps?

If so those decals are most likely trying to use a 3rd party shader, which was written for DX9, which will not work in DX11.
The same goes for any 3rd party media that refer to any 3rd party shaders. like custom entity shaders, illumination shaders, scrolling shaders, etc."

I'm using decals that are in the Game Guru library. Which I'm assuming are not set up for DX11. Flame and smoke.

EDIT: So i opened my map in GG and went to the decals. When I clicked properties... my display monitor instantly went black saying it was disconnected. Then it recovered and the GG render window went black. Then it attempted to relaunch. There is indeed something wrong with decals with this version.

m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
In the previous beta I had some darn good looking water but in the latest beta I can not get "Water_basic.fx" to do anything. I used to make adjustments to get different affects but not anymore. I have changed most of the variables with no affect, it always looks the same (bad). changing variables has no effect!

I have even downloaded Prebens latest dx11 water_basic file and tried that but it does nothing, changing variables like I used to do has no impact on the water visuals.

Safe to assume not much has been done on the water stuff.

Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
m2design: You need to edit setup.ini and change to forceloadtestgameshaders=1 , to be able to make any shaders changes or install new shaders

Teabone: tried the same , and it did also do it here ? , must be a new bug in the preview. If i load a level that already have the decals they are working , you just cant place them using the editor ?
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 01:26 Edited at: 5th Dec 2017 01:50
Removed the two decals and waited 10 minutes for the game to test. Here are the results after waiting another 10 minutes for the game to actually start after loading, (it froze by the end of this test vid):

No 3rd party content (and nothing from the store). Just 2 custom static sheep that are not using any assigned shader. Something else is causing these problems.

In the video you can see it constantly locking up as the counting clock even stops at times and im unable to move or operate the computer.

Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Teabone: All lightmapped levels, MUST be lightmapped again to work in the new version
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Preben

My water issue solved and it's a thing of beauty again, thanks for the clue !!

Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 01:35 Edited at: 5th Dec 2017 02:19
The level is not lightmapped. Thought might have been by accident at some point during development (but canceled).

Also reason why im staring at the ground in the video so often is its the only thing that prevents the computer from fully crashing when GG starts to get all weird and slow. This is a new issue since the beta/public preview.

EDIT: light mapped and this is result when pre-bake is selected:

map still stuttering and occasionally freezing. Even after removal of decals and having lightmapped the map.

Attachments

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 02:15
It is set on pre bake in the video so it must be lightmapped already.
I'm quite stunned at the stuttering, your system with the i7 should be a lot more fluent then my system, yet i don't experience the same because it runs smooth on my system.
Are there programs monitoring your system?
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 02:16 Edited at: 5th Dec 2017 18:30
The stuttering is from the Beta/public preview and only with my one map.

I get 60 to 120 frames otherwise. up to 400 when looking at the sky when settings are at medium. In previous version. That is why im posting these issues. I did not receive reply back from Lee when i wrote about this finding in the Beta and no solution on the private forums from anyone. I'm a bit surprised this is public since im not the only one to experience this exact issue. With long load times, freezing and eventually full computer freeze/crash.

I'm scrapping my map and starting from scratch if I cannot find a solution. Going to run one more test at "real-time" and see if that prevents the stuttering, freeze and computer freeze. Hope I dont destroy my system throughout all this testing.

For example here is The Big Escape running under the public preview without stutter issues:

perelect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 06:56
Teabone

Just as a matter of interest in trying to help you fault find the problems with that one map that has problems, did you try turning functions on and off in F11 mode to narrow down what area the problem is in.

I usually enter f11 and turn everything off, then turn one function on at a time, then two at a time, and so on. I find this is a quick way to narrow it down.

It could also be a windows issue, i only have W10 to test with now, i see you use W7. So it could be a bug that only happening with W7 systems, which i cannot see.

RE: Fashlight issue above: Do you have the Lightrays slider On?
I also noticed that the torch wasn't showing on some surfaces until the Lightrays slider is on. This is a new issue.

Cheers
Desktop: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, ~3.6GHz, Windows 10, 64-bit, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Display Memory: 4018 MB. Resolution 1360x768.
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
PT V9.0 3DMark=4344, Passmark=3291.

[RIP] Laptop: Pavilion dv6 Notebook, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, Win 7 64 bit, 16 GB Ram, Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, 2336 MB Memory. Resolution 1366x768, Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. (WEI 5.8)
PT V9.0 3DMark=377, Passmark=1222.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 07:43
ok, so changed the pbroverride=0 and forceloadtestgameshaders=1 in the .INI file and then re-lightmapped the Galaxy Seed level in quick mode (F1). Still looks horrible but I guess if Lee is still working on fixes etc then it's all in good hands. Currently starting to convert some old DX9 shaders to DX11 to see if I can get em working.

Attachments

Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Teabone:
Quote: "EDIT: light mapped and this is result when pre-bake is selected:
map still stuttering and occasionally freezing. Even after removal of decals and having lightmapped the map"

Yes i also get those patterns , just save the level ( after a new lightmap ) , then reload GG and load your level and it will be fine.
But you will still get stuttering when your using lightmapped levels , press tab tab and set it to "realtime" and you will not get the stuttering.

Quote: "EDIT: having another issue with the public preview... I have a game that makes heavy use of the flashlight. The flashlight is not working."

As perelect says , in the tab tab -> graphics option set Lightrays to > 0 and the flashlight will work. the problem is with the water reflection it is ruin a eyepos in the shaders , so you can also set "Water and reflection" < 25 to make it work. this is also a new bug only in the public preview , i made a new flashlight in the shaders that works a bit better for the next update

Bored of the Rings:
Quote: "then re-lightmapped the Galaxy Seed level in quick mode (F1). Still looks horrible"

Yes just save the level after lightmap and restart GG and load the level , and it will look fine, but there is some stuttering problems with lightmapped level so just run it using "realtime"

Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 09:27
@Preben :
Quote: "Yes just save the level after lightmap and restart GG and load the level , and it will look fine, but there is some stuttering problems with lightmapped level so just run it using "realtime""

Ah yes, I knew I forgot to do something, thanks again Preben.
Bored of the Rings
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2017 09:41
ok looks fine now with realtime selected.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 13:25:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 13:25:39