Off Topic / is this a serious program?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I got game Guru A little while back, and I was just trying to use this kind of like a hobby thing,But now want to get a little bit more serious about making a video game ,So I just wanted to ask one thing is this program a serious program or is it just for people that want to do a hobby?, what kind of power does it have? is it capable of making a game lets say like Resident Evil 2 are Silent Hill for psx
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2017 22:19
Quote: "So I just wanted to ask one thing is this program a serious program or is it just for people that want to do a hobby?, "

It’s what you make of it.if you have only just got into this sort of thing it’s a perfect start.As you will find out .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 04:36
if you're a talented scripter, some ps1 games might be possible. a not-so-amazing replica of crash bandicoot has been made. when it comes to first person shooters, if you're making anything with quality, chances are it will be too underpowered to sustain more than a few short levels of it before things stop loading on everyone's computer.

the engine in its current state is fraught with bugs and numerous issues which make producing a SERIOUS SERIOUS game nigh impossible: mainly the rudimentary AI, inability to customize menus, lack of capacity for large detailed areas, and in-general poor final-game quality and frame rate.

Gameguru's great to have fun honing your level design skills, or making something cool to show your friends, and if you get really good, you might even make something that will earn you a few bucks. You won't be capable making the next half life 2 with it.
imothep85
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 07:16
yeah if you want to make something serious looks instead in unreal engine or unity but forget game guru.
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 07:33
I believe you can make a 'very serious' game however (and it's a large however) you have to have a varied and deep skill set to do it on your own and a huge amount of patience, tenacity and time available to work through and circumvent some engine aspects that won't necessarily work for you.

If you can model, code in lua and hlsl, create music, create and develop engaging game play and story, test effectively, market and support the finished product you could make an engaging and professional game. Menus, AI, shaders, player controller etc are all open to change if needed but not features 'out of the box'.

Of course if you can do all of this you should also consider other engines that are understandably more advanced and often more complex given the number of person years they have been in development.

If you want to try your hand at game development especially of the FPS variety and gradually build up your skill set and knowledge then there is nothing better than Game Guru.

I started over 4,000 hours ago with early versions of GG and aim to finally get a serious game out next year. It will (does already) have a custom first/third person controller, can play as male/female, use sky hooks for fast transport and gameplay, custom AI, can fly airships (a completely open sky level with no level end and procedurally placed islands and objectives), drive cars, explore underwater levels in submarines, the shaders are custom for post processing and terrain effects. Assets are custom (most not built by me but have been changed to fit story board and a lot of time needed to make these work successfully (especially animated FBX imports).

Starting to ramble, but yes truly believe you can make a serious game if you are very serious about it . If you are in game development for the long haul I would suggest you check out unity and unreal too before committing to an engine.

Cheers.

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 08:12 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 08:13
Agreed, if you are willing to put time into learning some lua, then you can make your game a little more unique and not just a generic, shooter, there are lots of great assets in the store, if you cant model or create music or effects. GG is very simple to use, unlike unity or unreal. Once some long standing bugs are crushed, eg: broken standalone issues and some save game issues, we will see some amazing games from this ever increasing and talented community
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Bluedio Vicotry V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "yeah if you want to make something serious looks instead in unreal engine or unity but forget game guru."

Two people can have the same set of paints and tools but only one may be a Picasso

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 14:23
I totally agree with the people that say that GameGuru is a serious game-making tool. Like with any games engine, what you put in is what you get out.

I'm still a relative noob when it comes to GG, but I was able to knock this scene out in less than a day.

GameGuru is an awesome engine!

PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 15:43
The question is not 'is this a serious program'. If we were going strictly on program capabilities, I'd 100% say it's not.

The question, with gamedev, is 'are you a serious person?'.

The fact is that Game-Guru can make games. It has a lot of problems. These problems will have to be worked around. There are a few successful examples but mostly you are going to find it useful as a rapid prototyper.

When you actually get into the publishing phase, it's not an enterprise level tool like lumberyard or UE4. Nor can you expect it to be. It's made by one person. However:

- It costs little to start
- Assets cost little to obtain
- There's a massive store of free things on this forum and elsewhere
- Assets are easily placed/manipulated (so easy, my 7 year old has been working with it regularly since he was 5).
- It's graphics quality as of current is on peer with 2002-2005 or so (better than some indy game engines cough cough game-maker cough)
- The terrain system can make some good work if you put some time into it.
- It uses Lua reasonably well
- Lua is fairly easy
- EBE is a huge step towards functional indoor environments that are rapidly assembled (like FPSC)
- Fairly knowledgeable and close-knit community (even though some are very rightfully bitter)

So in short it's a low cost, low cost, did I mention low cost? Gamedev platform. Heck, even the most expensive asset lists on the store will give you more than you can possibly dream of in an engine in like UE and we have some pretty good artists here. They make the most of the limited engine, as do we all.

Negatives:
- Dated graphics engine (currently being upgraded to DX11 and PBR)
- Bad AI... ok let's just say it's atrocious for the zombies and bad for the rest of the stuff. I personally hope it's the next agenda item resolved.
- Inconsistencies in compiling; compiled games often don't work the same as they do in test game mode/development mode. You often have to tweak compiled games
- Awful load times for compiled work (supposedly being fixed in the next patch, praise the lord)
- 20000 poly limit on models
- The character creator has so much wasted potential it's unbelievable. Seriously guys, make some models for it!
- EBE has some bugs (notably continues to draw terrain and objects that should be occluded)
- Bugs. Bugs. Bugs. Weird issues that you have to hunt down.
- Slow pace of updates. Lee takes his time.

So.. up to you! Good hunting
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 16:33
Quote: "- 20000 poly limit on models"

It's 23k limit on animated models with bones, it's considerably more for static models.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 18:15
Quote: "Two people can have the same set of paints and tools but only one may be a Picasso
followed by link to own game"

so much humility. I'd wait to call myself picasso until I had actually released a painting we could play.

anyway yeah, time in=quality out, but if you're looking to create a game with hours and hours of gameplay and robust lighting effects, and not have to cheat your way around ludicrous constraints by shaving precious texture resolution and animation frames off of your characters, you might consider looking elsewhere. anyone around dimonixil (and his gang?)'s level of talent would be completely capable of working in another engine, and if a super high quality game is what you're trying to make, you might have an easier time approaching the level of quality using a more "professional" or "industry standard" tool

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 18:41 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 18:44
Far as I know Syncromesh isn't in Dimoxinil's gang

Although I bitch a lot about this product that is really down to frustration with the slow pace of a one man development team behind it. TGC would be better putting some cash into another coder rather than assets. I do still have a little faith that this product could be great, just when is the big question.

If your fairly new to game development then you won't be making anything 'serious' for a long time anyhow and maybe learning through this engine would be the way to go, by the time it's finished you will be an expert.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 21:41
lmao "read the author, too bugsy"

i still stand what i said though. I wanna see a released dimonixil game before we jump to the conclusion from his screenshots that such a thing is actually plausible.

rolfy wrote: "Although I bitch a lot about this product that is really down to frustration with the slow pace of a one man development team behind it. TGC would be better putting some cash into another coder rather than assets."

i say this constantly (But mainly in the discord and private convos, i'll admit) . maybe now that you've said it someone important will listen?
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 22:14
Quote: "i still stand what i said though. I wanna see a released dimonixil game "

Or a playable level as is would be cool .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 22:31
All of this is trivial as OP has to draw his/her own conclusion as to what "serious" actually means. Resident Evil 2 is a studio release. Making full 3D cutscenes with dialogue for example takes a lot of time and experienced but other part of RE2 I can see being doable in GG.

@Rayparadox1982: I'd invite you to browse the work in progress and showcase section of this forum and draw your own conclusion. If you are into that sort of thing you can also browse the steam releases but I'd mostly not recommend that.

-Wolf
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 23:03
Quote: " you can also browse the steam releases but I'd mostly not recommend that.
"

I second that. Probably not the best showcase for gg, lol.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 23:14 Edited at: 14th Nov 2017 23:15
Course it is but you have to be able to script GG is fantastic for most things but scripting isnt one of them, I'm crappy at scripting although i was i can now do crafting, factions, hunting gathering etc but no where near smallg, amen moses kind of level.
But! I'm learning and i think thats what GG is about, If your dedicated enough yes GG can do pretty much most things and coupled with the community we have alot more. Kinda up to you really
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 00:47 Edited at: 15th Nov 2017 00:52
@Bugsy

Where on earth did you get the impression the video was my work ..
Of course its Dimoxinil's Dev Blog as clearly mentioned on the video and demonstrated in WIP ...
I used it as an example of what could be achieved that's all..

Even if it was mine I would NEVER have had the audacity to point to any of my work with that statement
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 00:55
If you want to really make a serious game with Game Guru, at present avoid having multiple floors with enemies. Not only may you have AI issues but there is a lightmapping bug as well that we've seen to affect the EBE on multiple floors. There may be some fixes coming with the next build but I recommend keeping it as simple as you possibly can and you can actually get something out.

Space Losers is a great example as for the most part everything is operating on the terrain floor. So there isn't really going to be any AI bugs and problems.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 19:57 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:16
In it's current state. I wouldn't attempt it. We'll need to see if the next update gets rid of game killing bugs, performance issues and 10+ minutes of loading times.

Quote: "GG is very simple to use, unlike unity or unreal."

I would have to disagree with this. Specifically with Unity. The time you use trying to figure out work arounds in GG could be invested in learning something like Playmaker for Unity. I'm not a hardcore developer but Unity's asset pipeline is far easier to use. From importing assets to implementing AI and intricate game mechanics (using Playmaker at $49) to designing levels.

I love GG but it's still going to take a bit of time to squash core issues to get it into a state of being able to create a "serious game"
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 22:45
Playmaker looks interesting, does that work ok with the FREE unity or do you need the paid for licence/subscription version.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Bluedio Vicotry V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 02:48 Edited at: 16th Nov 2017 02:49
Quote: "I would have to disagree with this. Specifically with Unity. The time you use trying to figure out work arounds in GG "

I will have to agree with this, as I spend 75% of my time using Game Guru doing work-arounds attempts. I've however not taken any full plunge into any other engine like Unity or Unreal (apart from Creation Kit which isn't profitable and cannot do standalones.)
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 06:59 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:17
Quote: " Playmaker looks interesting, does that work ok with the FREE unity or do you need the paid for licence/subscription version. "

It works fantastic with the free version. There are no limits.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 08:41
With Unity it's not really a free version or a paid version, there is only one version, you use it for free and don't have to pay anything unless you sell your game and make over a certain amount, or you can pay a license fee to extend that amount.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 10:14
You will get extras in unity pro that you won’t get in the free version

Quote: "Pro has render to texture, for reflective water and things like real time arena-like viewport screens, as well as realtime shadows, version control, and a profiler which helps you pinpoint what is using resources for optimization. More importantly, it has post processing effects, like glow, motion blur, edge detection, and color correction. Also Pro has no watermark upon startup of your game."

Although I don’t use it,I started with it for a while but it’s not for me just mucking about.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 10:36 Edited at: 16th Nov 2017 10:37
Quote: "You will get extras in unity pro that you won’t get in the free version "

You don't really get much any more, and that list is an old list, they changed it, you don't get all that any more, most of the effects etc. are in the free one or in the store now. All you get now is a customisable splash screen, the ability to remove branding, access to another program for customising the UI's, access to more analytics (ie the ability to see stats pertaining to your game), and an essentials pack from the store, as well as an increase on earnings before commission, and even then using the free version won't stop you using any add-ons.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 10:45
Here is the comparison list if you are thinking of using it , i was thinking of going back to it a while back

http://download.unity3d.com/unity/licenses

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
OP not responded to original question and now wandered into the realms of Unity
Moved to Off Topic ..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 12:26
Quote: "Here is the comparison list if you are thinking of using it , i was thinking of going back to it a while back

http://download.unity3d.com/unity/licenses

Dave"

I think that's out dated, because there's quite a few things on that list that i've used (following a unity course) and i only have free unity, for example Lightmapping with Global Illumination and area lights are covered in the Udemy course i'm slowly going through, and it all works in my version, also LOD support is another thing i've messed with on the free version, as well as Full-Screen Post-Processing Effects, which all state they're pro features, although i did have to download scripts from the course notes fr them to work, so maybe they are premium features, but can also be purchased and added without premium access.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2017 13:25
Quote: "so maybe they are premium features, but can also be purchased and added without premium access."

That's interesting,thanks .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 17th Nov 2017 13:55 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:17
Quote: "There are no limits."

Sorry, I meant there are no limits on Playmaker.

@OP, GameGuru will be capable creating a serious game (in the near future) I believe.
Rayparadox1982
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all so much for taking time out of your day to answer this question for me. I should have been a little bit more pacific when I said serious game what I really meant is just a game that you can make, that people outside of the game Guru Community, could enjoy And have fun with, after seeing some of the examples that you all showed me on here, and seeing some of the videos that I've researched on my own, I believe gameguru is just what I'm looking for.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 07:08:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 07:08:15