Showcase / Pipal Koti Scenetest (open ended stealth gameplay/stresstest attempt)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 08:20
Stresstest/Gameplay test

This is a small map I made to stress test gameguru with enemies that all spawn off the bat and a level with a pretty high polycount.. It seems to work well with good framerates, although with reshade there's no guarantees, it seems to cut my frames almost in half. I've decided to exclude it here. the game looks pretty much the same without it. would suggest running this on a nicer machine.

There is no story to this game. The objective is to escape the town and cross the river in the shortest time possible.
It can be played like call of duty, walking down a slim enemy hallway until you reach the objective, or you can parkour across the roofs, speedrunning the map in around 20-30 seconds if you're fast. it can also be stealthed completely or completed non lethally. The player is given an Mk23 to begin and an MP5, however grenades and a sniper are hidden if you look for them.

download here

I'd really like to know everyone's frame rates on this, and what they thought about the difficulty.
If this is not complete enough for the showcase, feel free to move it to product chat (it would probably get more reviews there anyway)

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 10:14 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 10:36
This look super pretty. Well done Bugsy! Downloading it meow.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 13:38

I'll drop a biased, unfair, over the top and anal-retentive review of it soon.

-Wolf
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 15:02
Well ... and we have Lobo on the list ... who is the most harsh critic of the forum ... ha ha ha ... I will download the demo and I will make an encouraging critique and emphasizing all those points that I consider to be excellent from the point of view of a gamer ... Coming from Bugsy, I guess there will be several! A big greeting.

Bueno... y que tenemos en la lista a Lobo... quien es el crítico más áspero del foro... ja ja ja... Bajaré el demo y realizaré una crítica alentadora y recalcando todos esos puntos que considero que son excelentes desde el punto de vista de un gamer... Viniendo de Bugsy, calculo que seran varios! Un gran saludo.
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2017 20:23
Alright

I see that this was really just a test. As in test. Not like my first GG release that had some videogame window dressing around it so... err...how do I review this?

I just start with my first impressions.

Launching the game looking at Kshatriya's loadingscreen was fine to me as I knew this was just a one map flick. I'm always eager to see something new from Bugsy and was pretty amped. It loaded surprisingly fast for me, I couldn't even finish making my smoothie. (smoothie..isn't it just a terrible word? Just by the sound of it I immediately picture a diaper. One with ample content at that)

So here I was in an alley that was distinctly asian looking. Here the Bugsy effect comes in. The Bugsy effect is when I like everything I see immediately but would do it entirely different myself. Bugsy and I have slightly different priorities that often result in long pointless banter I'll spare you this for now.
I then do what the map is designed for. I screw around in it. Its a terrible map for a tactical shooter style playthrough as I can see the enemies standing around way before they react to me so I just went jumpy-ballers-cowlofdootdoot shooter fun. I died several times ...because I jumped to my death.
The AI was acceptable but only a threat when it saw me before I could react because I tried parcouring around (and don't think for a second I didn't find the nade and the sniper rifle!) Not exactly hidden now, where they?

Alas, there are also plenty visual design choices, mismatched models and texture stretches that I noticed and disliked but they didnt break the game. It looked okay. Which is a shame because Bugsy can do better than okay. there is a large disconnect between the parts of this game that where competent and the ones that where incompetent. Overall it felt like one of these amateur made multiplayer maps you can download on fpsbanana (no, its not gamebanana because FPS games are king and because I say so) or half of a Bugsy map.

The vibe of the whole thing is somewhere in between a genuine joy in designing it and "aaah screw this". ...which is really not the enthusiasm you had in FPSC Kshatriya games or even partially in Origins.

Okay... my writing is going nowhere slow so lemme illustrate a few bulletpoints I liked and some I didn't like:

* Framerate constantly over 30 on the laptop.
* Level has a certain appeal and atmosphere to it.
* Level partially feels lived in and like a real place
* Open ended scene that allows for jumping around and on things and is not linear
* Handgun is really cool
* I had fun
* Some well made models, textures and compositions!

* If you use overlays to add detail, don't use ones with textured on geometry that is too complex. Adding cigarette buds and some dirt with a decal is good, adding cans or other big objects with a 2dimensional decal takes down the scene a few notches.
* I was able to glitch out of the map everywhere. Worst example is right beneath the first set of staircases. A sin in a game that encourages exploration.
*When on the outskirts, the map feels a lot more like a bunch of models thrown on frame rate suffocating terrain than a city. Which is a shame because it feels like a city in the center.
* Car texture is ugly and that model has interior architecture that just wastes frames if the windows are not transparent
* The lit buildings would have gone better with an evening scene than a broad daylight one
* Some texture stretching and models not matching perfectly.
* Handgun needs to be retextured badly.
* Lack of sound. This could have a whole additional dimension with some city sounds.
* Too short! I liked it. Needs more.

Game Guru'ness

On my second retry, enemies where invisible so I shot at floating guns

All in all a pretty decent test and I hope for you to advance this further. Like, a whole detailed Kshatriya city block this open ended with challenging choke points would make my evening. I hope game guru does not discourage you and that we all see more from ya soon.

Also, needs more naked sexy billboards! Seriously.

Jupp! Not the review I alluded it to be but I'd feel bad to be too harsh on a work in progress...even Bugsy's work in progress who knows that my reviews are often also tongue in cheek.

I hope some of this was useful.

-Wolf

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 05:22
Quote: "The vibe of the whole thing is somewhere in between a genuine joy in designing it and "aaah screw this". ...which is really not the enthusiasm you had in FPSC Kshatriya games or even partially in Origins."

yeah, I had at first wanted to stresstest GG (the map originally had more detail) but then because of how unstable it all is and how different GG seems to perform in tests and builds, I had to shorten it to a scene basically. I released it on discord and decided i wanted some more opinions on it, but didn't feel like placing a bunch of invisible walls and rebuilding.

Quote: "Some texture stretching and models not matching perfectly."

ohhhhhhh I get it now, what you call "texture stretching" I call "the partial spyra effect" or using one texture as several things by rotating it, using bits of it, etc. pretend on the stretched textures, the carpenter decided to use longer tiles

Quote: "All in all a pretty decent test and I hope for you to advance this further. Like, a whole detailed Kshatriya city block this open ended with challenging choke points would make my evening. I hope game guru does not discourage you and that we all see more from ya soon."

as this scene proves, thats basically impossible with gameguru at this point, especially at any sort of level of detail you wouldn't complain at. I'm sure you will like origins, but its much more the illusion of open endedness on a few separate paths in a big LOOKING area, similar to how this is complete openness mayhem on a much smaller map with a higher level of detail (one that simply cannot be sustained across too big an area without a ridiculous sacrifice on detail.

in a bit I'll post a video with different ways to play including my 24 second full non-lethal speedrun.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2017 07:25
and here that video is

my best speedrun time is 20 seconds
in this video i do it in 24 seconds without killing anyone. It's possible without detection if i had done it faster
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 15:33
It is my first analysis of a GG product from the hands of its creator, I hope to be at the level of it, so I will from the point of view of a gamer:
1) I really liked the architecture of the route, not so, those landscapes that could be seen from the surroundings.
2) Very long loading time for the duration of the experience (I know it's a GG theme, but we can do something like developers to reduce it ???).
3) I agree with Lobo about the lack of environmental sounds, incidental music and maybe some shouts from the enemies ...
4) Maybe the distance that the enemies are, makes them very easy to eliminate and not a serious threat .. I'm not very good in the fps and I found it very easy to make the journey.
5) CONCLUDING: If it is to be one-fifth of a level and incorporate the elements mentioned in points 1 and 3, increasing the difficulty ... must be a good product.

I agree with Wolf ... I hope to see it continue!
Great job.

Es mi primer análisis de un producto GG de manos de su creador, espero estar a nivel de ello, por eso lo haré desde el punto de vista de un gamer:
1) Me gusto mucho la arquitectura del recorrido, no así, aquellos paisajes que podían verse del entorno.
2) El tiempo de carga muy largo para la duración de la experiencia (se que es un tema de GG, pero podemos hacer algo como desarrolladores para reducirlo???).
3) Concuerdo con Lobo sobre la falta de sonidos ambientales, musica incidental y quizá algunos gritos de los enemigos...
4) Quizá la distancia a la que se hallan los enemigos, hace que sean muy faciles de eliminar y no sean una grave amenaza.. no soy muy bueno en los fps y me resultó muy fácil hacer el recorrido.
5) CONCLUYENDO: Si ha de ser una quinta parte de un nivel y se incorporan los elementos que menciono en los puntos 1 y 3, aumentando la dificultad... ha de ser un buen producto.

Acuerdo con Lobo... espero ver como continúa!
Gran trabajo.
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2017 15:47
PS: I do not know why the water was not visible ...
Maybe for the performance of my computer, core i5-2310 2.90Ghz 8GB ram and a GeForce GTX 570 ... low fps were detected and the configuration in the game did not allow to see the water ...

PD: No se porque razon no se hallaba visible el agua...
Quiza por la perfomance de mi equipo, core i5-2310 2.90Ghz 8GB ram y una GeForce GTX 570... se detectaron low fps y la configuracion en el juego no permitió ver el agua...
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 18:26
that's an old card and low core clockrate. I'm not surprised you'd be having gameguru game problems. Thanks for the opinions, I had kind of tried to make it a stealth game, so I left the AI on "default" settings instead of cranking up their FOV to 180 and their range to 100000 like any normal person has.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 23:25
Rofl that vid made me giggle 101 ways to mess the enimies day up
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2017 16:40
Thanks! hope you'll download it and see how many ways you can mess up the enemy's day

or see if you can beat my speedrun time
maiacoimbra69
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2017 09:51
i love you game man
the only thing that i would i n my humble opinion advice you to do is put some lights in the stage, the default color lights that GG has
some mix of yellow aan a little bit of blue
to make the game not so flat in the 3d world , i don't know if i could explain myself correctly

nevertheless the game level is perfect
great job man
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2017 22:07
Quote: "the only thing that i would i n my humble opinion advice you to do is put some lights in the stage, the default color lights that GG has
some mix of yellow aan a little bit of blue "

IDK what kinda problem you had... but there are DEFINITELY lights. I chose to make them rather mild as it's bright outside. if you felt the level of lighting wasn't "good" enough then hopefully you'll like future games better. I try to improve my lighting all the time
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 14:15
Are you gonna post the other thing?
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 21:14
yeah, when its ready. having problems with the killcount script triggering the win even though it triggers it in test game...
this is all stuff i should have added to this game but decided to spare myself the headache as even the most simple gameguru scripts made by our most talented scripters often seems to simply not work period, or barely work incorrectly. Something tells me it's gameguru's fault.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 06:18:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 06:18:07